Hepatitis B

dj25

Unfortunately, this is the usual scenario.

In majority of cases, infection is acquired around the time of birth or infancy. During this period, the body will not recognize the virus because the immune system is still immature, thus will do nothing about it for years. Sometime, nagiging active sila at dumadami and yet very minimal and non-specific nga ang symptoms as Angel said. Kadalasan di nanatin pinapansin.

To the lucky ones, no serious complications arise inspite years of infection.

To some specialy kung bumagsak yng resistensya, nagiging very active yng virus to the point na nagkakaroon ng significant symptoms like jaundice o paninilaw, among others, that leads then to consult.

To the REAL unlucky ones, the virus becomes active enough to cause repeated bouts ng inflammation o pagmamaga ng liver pero with relatively mild, non-specific symptoms through the years na di napapansin. This leads to scarring of the liver - cirrhosis which may lead to liver cancer. Some patients also may develop liver cancer without developing cirrhosis.

And so It would be ideal to have yourself screened for HBsAg even though wala ka nararamdaman, specialy if someone in your immediate family tested positive.

Pag nag positive ba sa HBsAg puede pa magpa vaccine?

Pag nag positive ba sa HBsAg puede pa magpa vaccine?

tama si angel... once you've got the virus useless na ang vaccination... you can only pray that you are one of the lucky few who will combat the virus and develop immunity. Most of the time though the hepatitis B virus becomes "dormant" and like AIDS, will just continue to replicate in your body until the viral load is so high and then you get all the bad effects... starting from fatty liver, then liver cirrhosis, then liver cancer.

Is there a treatment? Right now, there is no 100% effective treatment for hepatitis B. A lot of advances have been made in antiviral therapy but these are expensive and usually long-term (the shortest span for treatment will be a year, newer drugs have to be taken continously); plus these anti-virals will only be useful for a handful of people, depending on the status of their Hepatitis B infection...

Kinda complex right?

The best thing to do is still and shall always be prevention... check your HbsAg and Anti-HBs level, get immunized/vaccinated if you don't have the infection and still don't have antibodies and practice safe sex. True, maternal-fetal transmission of Hepatitis B is still the number one source of Hepatitis B in the philippines, but also remember that is more likely to contract Hepatitis B from casual sex rather than getting HIV/AIDS.

Keep healthy!

• 1 month later...

HbsAg and Anti-HBs level - gaano ba kataas para maging concern ka?

I remember Lolo ko lakas umiinom he died when I was 10 yrs old,tapos sabi nang mother ko meron siyang liver cancer dahil nagka scarring ang liver niya?

Yon bang alak major cause ba nang HEPA? or kailangan mag-LIVER aide ako para di magka-hepa?

pls. enlighten us Docs..

HbsAg and Anti-HBs level - gaano ba kataas para maging concern ka?

if you test positive for HBsAg....automatically, we test you for the presence of the other antigen, the "e" antigen (HBeAg)...to determine if the virus is active or not.

I remember Lolo ko lakas umiinom he died when I was 10 yrs old,tapos sabi nang mother ko meron siyang liver cancer dahil nagka scarring ang liver niya?

Yon bang alak major cause ba nang HEPA? or kailangan mag-LIVER aide ako para di magka-hepa?

pls. enlighten us Docs..

heavy and prolonged alcohol intake can lead to liver cirrhosis (yung scarring na sinasabi mo), and eventually liver cancer. On the other hand, the hepatitis virus is an independent cause of hepatocellular carcinoma (most common form of liver cancer). Meaning, the virus itself can lead to liver cancer, regardless of your alcohol intake (but obviously, worse when coupled with heavy drinking). Chronic hepatitis B usually progresses to liver cirrhosis first, before ending up with liver cancer. Chronic hepatitis C can, however, proceed to liver cancer directly, without passing thru the cirrhotic stage.

About the supplement, they can and will not prevent the virus from entering your body, or the alcohol from destroying your liver, if the risk factor is there. Eh shempre, kung super dami ka uminom, kahit sangkatutak na liveraide pa, masisira at masisira pa rin atay mo...

Edited by angel_by_day
  • 2 weeks later...

Are infected persons contagious?

When people first get hepatitis B, they are contagious for several weeks before they get symptoms and for the whole time that they feel sick, which is 1-2 months. People who do not clear the virus (5-10% of the people who get hepatitis B) are contagious for the rest of their lives.

http://www.oregon.gov/DHS/ph/acd/diseases/hepb/facts.shtml

Is it correct to say that 90% of the people that are infected of Hepatitis B are able to flush the virus out? and not have a chronic infection and not contagious?

Or the medical test will still be able to detect the infection even thought the body is able to flush it out?

What are the implication of a person who has resisted or who are not contagious (90% of the infected)? Do the blood test detect this and cause for concern for people who are planning to go overseas?

the Hep B vaccine is a 0,1,6 regimen. What if I miss the 6th month dose?

When was your last dose?

The best thing to do would be to have anti-HBs titer done. If the levels are not significant have a booster dose.

By the way, did you have HBsAg screening done before? Kung hindi pa, I suggest you have it done before considering having a booster. Hepa B vaccine is useless if your HBsAg positive

Are infected persons contagious?

When people first get hepatitis B, they are contagious for several weeks before they get symptoms and for the whole time that they feel sick, which is 1-2 months. People who do not clear the virus (5-10% of the people who get hepatitis B) are contagious for the rest of their lives.

http://www.oregon.gov/DHS/ph/acd/diseases/hepb/facts.shtml

Is it correct to say that 90% of the people that are infected of Hepatitis B are able to flush the virus out? and not have a chronic infection and not contagious?

Or the medical test will still be able to detect the infection even thought the body is able to flush it out?

What are the implication of a person who has resisted or who are not contagious (90% of the infected)? Do the blood test detect this and cause for concern for people who are planning to go overseas?

Burger,

Take note that the source you looked at is "Western" , "1st world".

Most Hepa B infection that occurs in their setting is "horizontal" - similar to HIV; through sex, blood transfusion or through use of infected needles among others; and usually occurs during adulthood. In this setting, there is a chance that the body can "flush out" the virus provided they have a healthy immune system, even w/o treatment.

Here in the Third world, the usual mode of transmission is vertical - from mother to child around the time of childbirth. In this setting the infant's immature immune syatem does not recognize the virus and does not attempt to "flush it out" Thereby leaving a lot more people with a chronic or long standing infection that would probably last their lifetime. In some, the virus' activity is at a minimum that they are not/ will not be contagious and do not develop any complications from the infection (cirrhosis, liver cancer). In some, the virus' activity increases or fluctuates that they become infectious and develop the above mentioned complications. In both cases, you still harbour the virus in your body and will thereby test positive for the screening test HBsAg

Once you are able to flush the virus from your body, you will test non-reactive to the HBsAg screening. Unfortunately, this does not usually happen in cases where you acquire the infection during childhood like most cases here in our country

• Like (+1) 1

thank you for the reply.

So its correct to assume that when healthy adults are infected, they have a bigger chance, around 85-90% of flushing to virus out because of their mature immune system? Or i am wrong?

Or the 90% is a high figure to state? flushing out is ambigous.

So assuming the figure stated basing on western countries scenario.

85- 90% of the adults infected are able to flush the virus out without treatment because of their mature immune system? 10 to 15% of those are not able to flush out the virus are either not contagous, carriers or develops chronic diseases later on?

thank you for the reply.

So its correct to assume that when healthy adults are infected, they have a bigger chance, around 85-90% of flushing to virus out because of their mature immune system? Or i am wrong?

Or the 90% is a high figure to state? flushing out is ambigous.

So assuming the figure stated basing on western countries scenario.

85- 90% of the adults infected are able to flush the virus out without treatment because of their mature immune system? 10 to 15% of those are not able to flush out the virus are either not contagous, carriers or develops chronic diseases later on?

indeed a good percentage of adults who get infected can clear the virus from their bodies without producing very serious symptoms. however there are those who develop severe symptoms like overt liver failure. It is impossible to predict who will develop a serios illness and those who will not.

after the acute illness (whether mild or severe) some will retain the virus in their bodies (chronic infection). Some will have long standing liver inflammation (chronic hepatitis) which may lead to the dreaded complications of cirrhosis and liver cancer. The lucky ones may not develop symptoms and complications at all. In both cases, some will be contagious and some not.

thanks alot for clearing this up....

So the bottom line is, its better to have a strong immune system to start with, as well as vaccination to protect yourself and your loved ones.

By any chance you know what are the factors determining why some people become chronic carriers?

Edited by Burger
thanks alot for clearing this up....

So the bottom line is, its better to have a strong immune system to start with, as well as vaccination to protect yourself and your loved ones.

By any chance you know what are the factors determining why some people become chronic carriers?

Indeed, a strong immune system and vaccination would give a stong fighting chance against hepa B not to mention a "healthy" lifestyle

With regards to the factors which determine who will become chronic carriers it's very hard to fully elucidate. For one thing acquiring it during infancy would increase the chances of having a chronic infection. The body's immune system and the viral load (amt of virus in the body) likewise play a role. There are host and viral factors that come it to play that are quite technical and even too vague to discuss.

hope i helped a little

• 1 month later...

I just had my hepa b screening. The results were

HBsAG = patient's count - 0.478; non-reactive

Anti-HBS = patient's count - 2.000; non-reactive

I'm glad I'm Hepa B free but I understand also that my Anti-HBs of 2 is way below the cut-off value of 10. Would you recommend that I get the vaccine? I'm going abroad next month and I don't think I will be able to complete the needed vaccine doses if it's gonna take 3-6 mos. I'm not really sure if it's a good idea to pursue the vaccination. I could just be wasting my money if the incomplete vaccine turns out ineffective. I would really appreciate the advice of the medical experts here. Thanks.

I just had my hepa b screening. The results were

HBsAG = patient's count - 0.478; non-reactive

Anti-HBS = patient's count - 2.000; non-reactive

I'm glad I'm Hepa B free but I understand also that my Anti-HBs of 2 is way below the cut-off value of 10. Would you recommend that I get the vaccine? I'm going abroad next month and I don't think I will be able to complete the needed vaccine doses if it's gonna take 3-6 mos. I'm not really sure if it's a good idea to pursue the vaccination. I could just be wasting my money if the incomplete vaccine turns out ineffective. I would really appreciate the advice of the medical experts here. Thanks.

If you had the vaccine before for 3 doses, you just need another dose as a booster.

If not, the standard is 3 doses. It's really up to you

• 2 months later...

Help me pls...

i want to know, how much for check up in test of Hepa.

I want to know if im affected or not.

How much the anti hepa vaccine?

I know it is not cheaper, i want to ask if PGH, have a anti hepa treatment, that cost much lower than private doctor?

pls help me.

i cant check it anymore those passed FR here, no time for backthread.

if anyone have a good heart. just pm me to have a knowledge in hepatitis.

thanks. sorry for my english, im not fluent

english kasi lahat ng post d2 eh. salamat po ulit

screening is between 350 to 700 depends where you have it done.

first dose is usually 500

second third and booster is same more or less

so youll be spending around 3k all in all to have yourself protected.

A very very small price to pay for a longterm peace of mind against HBV

• 2 weeks later...
screening is between 350 to 700 depends where you have it done.

first dose is usually 500

second third and booster is same more or less

so youll be spending around 3k all in all to have yourself protected.

A very very small price to pay for a longterm peace of mind against HBV

charges depends on specific laboratory exams and the hospital...

:wub: