Mma Vs Boxing

dragonei

The first thing that popped to my mind when I saw this thread was an interview that was conducted a couple of weeks ago with Jim Lampley of HBO Boxing. Yes, the same Jim Lampley who, along with fellow HBO Boxing commentator Larry Merchant, was openly and consistently criticized MMA because of its seemingly imminent threat to the sport of boxing. When I saw that post on BloodyElbow and Bad Left Hook I was thinking to myself, "Oh boy, Lampley's gonna sound like an idiot bashing MMA again". To my surprise, in Lampley's interview with Toro Magazine (http://toromagazine.com/?q=node/1224), he gave a pretty good insight, and a very surprising one at that considering that he has consistently bashed MMA for the longest time, about the "rivalry" between MMA and boxing.

Q: I’ve always been a boxing fan – but quite frankly, I have no idea which organizations are running the show today – I don’t really know who the heavyweight champion of the world is. But I know a hell of a lot about MMA fighters of every stripe. Is this a question of MMA marketing their product better, or novelty, or a genuine passing of the guard when it comes to pugilistic sports?

A: Let me answer your question first with a question. So I can be sure of something. Do you know a lot about MMA fighters of every stripe, or do you know a lot about UFC fighters, and mostly exclusively UFC fighters?

Q: Very good point. Of course, mostly UFC fighters.

A: I think that what’s perceived as the giant success of MMA is actually the big success of the UFC. Because there are several other MMA organizations which have gone bankrupt or are struggling now. So it’s really only UFC which has achieved this cachet that people keep talking about. And if you think about it, it’s a little like saying that if a boxing organization, like the WBA or the WBC or the IBF could concentrate so much power and promotional credibility they would eliminate attention paid to the others, and their people would be seen as the people and they would have a marketing niche that proceeds through kind of star identities that sell. And one of the things that bothers you about boxing, and bothers most people about it, is that there might be four champions in any given division at any given time. They’re called champions because they have belts from governing bodies with no hierarchy to tell them that one of them is more important or more prominent than the others.

People who watch MMA, a lot of them pay attention only to UFC. Now what does that mean? UFC hires their own announcers – they don’t deal with a Larry Merchant and a Jim Lampley picking them apart from a perspective of legitimate honesty and saying whatever they want to say. We’re talking about an organization where the promoter has hired the commentators. Now that’s an entirely different kind of broadcast than what we do or what anybody in boxing does. That’s really a lot more like pro wrestling. Because then they tell the story that they want to tell.

So the bottom line is, they have a tremendous advantage, UFC does, over what goes on in boxing. Is that because boxing people are dumb and UFC people are smart? To a certain degree, yeah. No question about it. They have done a better job of organizing and promoting the product to make an impact on the marketplace over the course of the past 12, 15 years. Does it mean that UFC, or MMA, is as legitimate and important and resonant a cultural experience as boxing? Not in a million years. Not even close. Boxing is a sport with a 120-year history, and extremely deep penetration in various cultures around the globe – most particularly American culture where it has produced some of the most prominent socio-political figures to be found in all of sport, most notably, Joe Louis and Muhammad Ali. No Joe Louis, no Muhammad Ali, no Barack Obama.

And so I think you have to be careful about judging something purely on the basis of a market penetration as opposed to looking at the institution as a whole. One thing we try to do at HBO Boxing is what you talked about earlier: it’s to look at the institution as a whole and present in an unvarnished fashion.

Q: Do you think MMA will, in the end, fade, survive or supersede boxing?

A: I think it’s here to stay. I think it’s here to keep existing. I think in a hundred years from now it will be interesting to see how variegated their experience is. But I believe there’s room for both, and that both are going to continue to exist and both are going to produce stars. And you know, I used to think of this in terms of “I like boxing because it’s better.” But now I think of it in terms of “I like boxing because it’s boxing” – and some people like MMA because it’s MMA. It’s no better and no worse, it is what it is. And I think there’s room in the cultural marketplace for both.

Thoughts, peeps?

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

excellent post above.

Both sports offer both though, to say that one is more technical than the other is a simply a sign of ignorance of the technique and discipline required of each sport. Ignorant MMA fans will say that boxing is boring it's just pushing forward and hugging, and jabs to the death, totally ignoring the angles, trapping, and footwork evident in all great boxers. Ignorant Boxing Fans will say MMA is just a toughman competition where people just pummel other people to death, and rarely see the timing, strategy, and slick jiu-jitsu/wrestling that many fighters do.

damn right.

as far as the safety thing is concerned, they say boxing is actually more dangerous than mma, since the only way to win is to basically knock your opponent's head off. also, the quick stoppages by very careful referees prevent a fighter from taking repeated blows to the head for a prolonged amount of time while standing. yes, a standing barrage is more dangerous than a ground and pound when it comes to brain damage, since it's the whiplash effect that causes concussions. i haven't seen a lot of g&p knockouts as much as i have seen standing ones. a barely gloved hand will also produce a tremendous amount of force, making one-punch knockouts more common in mma. a one-punch knockout is actually a lot safer than repeated blows to the head for 12 rounds. yes, mma matches produce a lot of huge cuts, bruises, fractures, and blood everywhere. but that s@%t won't k*ll you. boxing, on the other hand, shakes your brain so hard that fighters with 20 or more fights have shown considerable brain damage. that's probably why there have been more deaths in boxing than there have been in mma for the last 16 years.

that's what i've read anyway. but here's what i know. boxing hurts a hell of a lot more than mma.

^^ I agree... that Floyd Mayweather Jr. is an idiot. :D

No way can a boxer fight an MMA fighter without resorting to some grappling techniques. At the very least a striker must possess some counter-measure against the takedown (like Chuck Lidell). I was taught boxing (by Pedro Adigue). No where in his lessons did he teach me how to punch when lying flat on my back... or even when I am sprawled on top of an opponent (ground and pound). Walang leverage. Dun ang power ng boxers. Boxer pa ba ang tawag kung mixed na ang training?

However, if we read his contention in another way, that the best athletes are still in boxing, then I'd have to agree. Nasa boxing pa kasi ang pera. And where the money is, the best of the best will go. Hey, if Chuck Lidell can make 15M USD per fight in boxing, do you think he would stick it out in MMA? Who would?

So right now, we can say that the MMA has a chicken-and-egg problem. Less than the best athletes means less profit. Less money means you don't get the best athletes. TO get the best athletes, you need MORE money.

But I see MMA thriving in the very near future. Eventually, corporate sponsorships (and i-net profit from webcasts) will bridge the huge gap in pay. By the time the pay has come to even terms, MMA will catapult over and beyond boxing as the main combative sport (for the simple reason that it has the toughest rules). By then, the BADDEST man on the planet will indeed be an MMA champion (no more debates).

But for MMA to do all that, it has to solve the problem of inaction caused by all the "hugging" (lol!). Big fan ako dati. Until the fiasco of the superfight between Ken Shamrock vs. Dan Severn (circling around for 20 minutes? WTF?!) Then there was all the hugging. Thank God for Chuck Lidell for bringing back the striking in MMA fights. I still watch MMA now and then. But is no longer "excited" about upcoming cards. I watch it, if I happen to catch it. But I no longer schedule my life around it. Not like a Manny Pacquiao fight. Nothing comes between me and a Manny Pacquiao fight.

Edited by skitz
Floyd Mayweather Jr. said that any skilled boxer could be a champ in MMA. he said mixed martial artist could not grapple boxers like him, because theyd be knocked out easily.

any NCAA Div 1 wrestling competitor (not even a champ) would grapple the s@%t out of Mayweather. Even someone from a lower weight class.

Elite Level fighters fighting in UFC or Affliction would k*ll PBF.

-----

here's what the fighters from Affliction's last event (Arlovski vs. Fedor) earned:

MAIN EVENT FIGHTERS

– Fedor Emelianenko $300,000 (no win bonus) def. Andre Arlovski $1,500,000 (win bonus would have been $250,000)

MAIN CARD FIGHTERS

– Josh Barnett $500,000 (no win bonus) def. Gilbert Yvel $30,000 (win bonus would have been $9,300)

– Vitor Belfort $200,000 (includes $80,000 win bonus) def. Matt Lindland $225,000 (win bonus would have been $75,000)

– Renato “Babalu” Sobral $90,000 (includes $30,000 win bonus) def. Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou $50,000 (win bonus would have been $50,000)

– Paul Buentello $90,000 (includes $20,000 win bonus) def. Kiril Sidelnikov $10,000 (win bonus would have been $25,000)

– Dan Lauzon $12,000 (no win bonus) def. Bobby Green $4,000 (win bonus would have been $4,000)

– Jay Hieron $45,000 (includes $25,000 win bonus) def. Jason High $10,000 (win bonus would have been $5,000)

from Yahoo! Sports

------

Here are the fighter's salaries from the Last UFC event (BJ vs. GSP)

MAIN EVENT FIGHTERS

– Georges St. Pierre $400,000 (includes $200,000 win bonus) def. B.J. Penn $125,000 (win bonus would have been $125,000)

MAIN CARD FIGHTERS

– Lyoto Machida $120,000 (includes $60,000 win bonus) def. Thiago Silva $29,000 (win bonus would have been $29,000)

– Jon Jones $14,000 (includes $7,000 win bonus) def. Stephan Bonnar $22,000 (win bonus would have been $22,000)

– Karo Parisyan $80,000 (includes $40,000 win bonus) def. Dong Hyun Kim $26,000 (win bonus would have been $26,000)

– Clay Guida $40,000 (includes $20,000 win bonus) def. Nate Diaz $20,000 (win bonus would have been $20,000)

from MMA Weekly

BTW do MMA fighters get PPV shares like boxers do?

yes PPV shares, and gate shares, i think this practice started way back in the Hughes vs. Gracie fight.

and yes there have been fighters that have broken the 6 figure mark, although some are inclusive of the PPV shares.

So right now, we can say that the MMA has a chicken-and-egg problem. Less than the best athletes means less profit. Less money means you don't get the best athletes. TO get the best athletes, you need MORE money.

^True

90% of the world's best fighters are in the UFC right now, which makes it harder for the other organizations to compete. this is bad news for the fighters because without competition, that raise in fighter pay will be minimal as compared to boxing where you just go to the best stable that can pay the most amount of money, and it's insane amounts of money as well.

I hope affliction gives the UFC some decent competition and they don't fold in a couple of years (like EliteFC and IFL). they're the best hope of progressing the sport further.

Eventually, corporate sponsorships (and i-net profit from webcasts) will bridge the huge gap in pay.

this is already happening, just substitute webcast profit with PPV shares.

But for MMA to do all that, it has to solve the problem of inaction caused by all the "hugging"

The Unified Rules of MMA has pretty much taken care of this already. Stalling or excessive hugging is penalized by the ref and the fight is restarted if there is prolonged inactivity from both fighters. Fights are faster and more exciting now (reference Jon Jones' UFC debut), as compared to the UFCs of old where you can just stay in guard and ride it out for a draw.

But for MMA to do all that, it has to solve the problem of inaction caused by all the "hugging" (lol!). Big fan ako dati. Until the fiasco of the superfight between Ken Shamrock vs. Dan Severn (circling around for 20 minutes? WTF?!) Then there was all the hugging. Thank God for Chuck Lidell for bringing back the striking in MMA fights. I still watch MMA now and then. But is no longer "excited" about upcoming cards. I watch it, if I happen to catch it. But I no longer schedule my life around it. Not like a Manny Pacquiao fight. Nothing comes between me and a Manny Pacquiao fight.

Hmm.. You lost your appetite for MMA after watching a Shamrock / Severn fight that happened about what? 15 years ago. hehe. A lot has changed from then till now and now better officiating makes sure that fighters don't stall anymore, that the action is kept at a fast and furious yet still methodical and technically savvy pace. And oh that Shamrock / Severn fight you cited. It didn't have much hugging at all if I remember it correctly. What happened during the fight was both Ken and Dan stood there for more than half an hour bouncing on their toes and throwing more faints than actual punches. I remember the fight going to the ground for only a few seconds (if any at all).

And oh Chuck may have been the biggest crowd drawer back then after all those highlight reel KO's but he is not the sole person responsible for making exciting fights thru his striking again. We have fighters who were in their prime earlier than Chuck like say Pedro Rizzo (who was KOing everyone back then) and Igor Vouvchancyn or even Gilbert Yvel from Pride who had that massive head kick KO of Big Daddy Goodridge.

any NCAA Div 1 wrestling competitor (not even a champ) would grapple the s@%t out of Mayweather. Even someone from a lower weight class.

Elite Level fighters fighting in UFC or Affliction would k*ll PBF.

-----

here's what the fighters from Affliction's last event (Arlovski vs. Fedor) earned:

MAIN EVENT FIGHTERS

– Fedor Emelianenko $300,000 (no win bonus) def. Andre Arlovski $1,500,000 (win bonus would have been $250,000)

MAIN CARD FIGHTERS

– Josh Barnett $500,000 (no win bonus) def. Gilbert Yvel $30,000 (win bonus would have been $9,300)

– Vitor Belfort $200,000 (includes $80,000 win bonus) def. Matt Lindland $225,000 (win bonus would have been $75,000)

– Renato “Babalu” Sobral $90,000 (includes $30,000 win bonus) def. Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou $50,000 (win bonus would have been $50,000)

– Paul Buentello $90,000 (includes $20,000 win bonus) def. Kiril Sidelnikov $10,000 (win bonus would have been $25,000)

– Dan Lauzon $12,000 (no win bonus) def. Bobby Green $4,000 (win bonus would have been $4,000)

– Jay Hieron $45,000 (includes $25,000 win bonus) def. Jason High $10,000 (win bonus would have been $5,000)

from Yahoo! Sports

------

Here are the fighter's salaries from the Last UFC event (BJ vs. GSP)

MAIN EVENT FIGHTERS

– Georges St. Pierre $400,000 (includes $200,000 win bonus) def. B.J. Penn $125,000 (win bonus would have been $125,000)

MAIN CARD FIGHTERS

– Lyoto Machida $120,000 (includes $60,000 win bonus) def. Thiago Silva $29,000 (win bonus would have been $29,000)

– Jon Jones $14,000 (includes $7,000 win bonus) def. Stephan Bonnar $22,000 (win bonus would have been $22,000)

– Karo Parisyan $80,000 (includes $40,000 win bonus) def. Dong Hyun Kim $26,000 (win bonus would have been $26,000)

– Clay Guida $40,000 (includes $20,000 win bonus) def. Nate Diaz $20,000 (win bonus would have been $20,000)

from MMA Weekly

Oh thanks for the infro.

Freddie roach gets about 2 million dollars for training Pacquaio. How much would a trainer in MMA usually get?

Hmm.. You lost your appetite for MMA after watching a Shamrock / Severn fight that happened about what? 15 years ago. hehe. A lot has changed from then till now and now better officiating makes sure that fighters don't stall anymore, that the action is kept at a fast and furious yet still methodical and technically savvy pace. And oh that Shamrock / Severn fight you cited. It didn't have much hugging at all if I remember it correctly. What happened during the fight was both Ken and Dan stood there for more than half an hour bouncing on their toes and throwing more faints than actual punches. I remember the fight going to the ground for only a few seconds (if any at all).

Yeah I know. I watched the fight. Like I said in my original post, Severn and Shamrock circled each other for some 20 odd minutes. Again, WTF?! I only cited this one fight (15 yrs old as you say) for it clearly illustrates the point on why some people are turned off by the UFC/MMA. Damn. The original UFC had us on the palm of their hands. I loved watching a ninja go up against a sumo wrestler! Lol! But blame goes to Severn and Shamrock. s@%t. Even Gracie, even as he was a grappler and submission artist, made for more exciting fights that SHAM (rock).

And oh Chuck may have been the biggest crowd drawer back then after all those highlight reel KO's but he is not the sole person responsible for making exciting fights thru his striking again. We have fighters who were in their prime earlier than Chuck like say Pedro Rizzo (who was KOing everyone back then) and Igor Vouvchancyn or even Gilbert Yvel from Pride who had that massive head kick KO of Big Daddy Goodridge.

Yes. I know. I only mentioned Chuck because he is the biggest name in MMA who is a striker. You can also add here Vito Belfort (but the man has no grappling skills). At least, Chuck has perfected the defense against the takedown. And in the few instances he was taken down, he managed to at least survive and live to fight a stand-up game.

To answer the original question of the thread: YES, MMA will k*ll boxing (as we know it today). That is if they play their cards right. Magkaroon lang ng isang big-time backer yan (how about WWE owner, Vince McMahon? WWE is dying!), put up the big purses to attract even BIGGER TALENTS! And within 10 years, overtaken na ang boxing as the premiere combative sport. Boxing then, will become a farm league of sorts... the PBL to the PBA...

Wag lang i-sell as a "SUPERFIGHT" then mag-ikutan for 20 minutes. Tama ba yun? At wag lang magyakapan for 10 minutes.

Edited by skitz
Freddie roach gets about 2 million dollars for training Pacquaio. How much would a trainer in MMA usually get?

much less than that, i assume

although, if you look at it proportionately (Roach got about 4% of a 50M purse), I would guess some of the more elite trainers such as Ibarra, and Greg Jackson, get the same percentage too.

i don't know how much Arlovski paid Roach though.

You can also add here Vito Belfort (but the man has no grappling skills). At least, Chuck has perfected the defense against the takedown. And in the few instances he was taken down, he managed to at least survive and live to fight a stand-up game.

Vitor has an excellent BJJ Pedigree i believe so (BJJ Black Belt)

i really don't know why you said he's got no grappling...

my guess is you base it on the fights you've watched chief, hehehe Vitor's like a Jorge Gurgel... excellent BJJ but rarely uses it in favor of striking (and that's the reason Gurgel lost a lotta fights) but it's different in Vitor's case ^_^

Wag lang i-sell as a "SUPERFIGHT" then mag-ikutan for 20 minutes. Tama ba yun? At wag lang magyakapan for 10 minutes.

i don't think "SUPERFIGHTS" like that would happen again chief, MMA has evolved in the last several years... nowhere are you going to see the long circling (pormahan lang ba) as they get penalized for this (check out the Nate Quarry VS Kalib Starnes fight and you'll catch my drift)

SUPERFIGHTS now are like the GSP VS PENN fight, all action chief ^_^

You can also add here Vito Belfort (but the man has no grappling skills).

harsh words to say to a four-time brazilian jiu jitsu champ (at age nineteen, by the way).

i don't think "SUPERFIGHTS" like that would happen again chief, MMA has evolved in the last several years... nowhere are you going to see the long circling (pormahan lang ba) as they get penalized for this (check out the Nate Quarry VS Kalib Starnes fight and you'll catch my drift)

SUPERFIGHTS now are like the GSP VS PENN fight, all action chief ^_^

kind of disappointed with kevin belingon vs. justin cruz though.

vitor IS in fact a BJJ blackbelt, and yes he has applied them in fights before

it's just that he has amazing boxing, and unnatural speed that he rarely gets to showcase his ground skills

and I don't think I've ever seen a brazilian fighter who doesn't have at least purple belt level skills.

Alright, so we have established that boxers wont win if their opponents allowed to grapple them to the ground.

let me reverse a scenario, lets say we get an MMA fighter to compete in a boxing match, applying boxing rules and mechanics

Say someone like anderson silva against bernard hopkins.

What would be your predictions?

NO MMA champion today, can beat a boxing champion at boxing even if they trained for it. No, not even Belfort or Lidell can hold their ground in the boxing arena.

On the other hand, I strongly believe, that if a boxer is young enough and trainable enough, and is given enough training in grappling (at least learn the countermeasures), and they can beat MMA at their own game.

Again, because there is MORE MONEY in boxing, it attracts the better athletes. If Randy Couture can make 15M USD for a fight (that means boxing), you think he would stick it out with MMA (where he is not even paid 1 M USD)? That does not make sense.

Belfort, I believe tried out boxing once. And of course there are the Muay Thai champions (no, this is not MMA... but allow me some elbow room here), rarely go on to become boxing champions when they try to crossover for the bigger bucks.

------------------

P.S. Forgive my "ignorance" about MMA. Like I said, I am no longer a big fan. I do watch it, if I happen to catch it. Love Machida, and of course G St. Pierre.

Alright, so we have established that boxers wont win if their opponents allowed to grapple them to the ground.

let me reverse a scenario, lets say we get an MMA fighter to compete in a boxing match, applying boxing rules and mechanics

Say someone like anderson silva against bernard hopkins.

What would be your predictions?

Anderson vs. Bhop? in a boxing match? Complete and total destruction by Bhop.

but given time to prepare properly let's say 6 months under a good trainer, Anderson will be very competitive. Given a year of exclusive boxing training....Anderson can pull it off, even if it's via decision. Anderson if a very smart fighter, and he knows the psychology of combat sports. It's not hard to see him doing well in boxing, IF he trained boxing exclusively for a long period of time.

as for the reverse a boxing cross training in MMA, it can happen and it has happened. Marcus Davis "The Irish Hand Grenade" (pro-boxing rec 17-1-2) used to be a professional boxer before he switched to MMA, and he has done pretty well in the UFC. Rogerio Noguiera "Little Nog", is a member of the Brazilian National Boxing Team and has won bronze in the 2007 Pan American Games, and has been the Brazilian Super Heavyweight Champion.

One thing to note is that it's easier for an MMA fighter to become a boxer, than the other way around. MMA fighters transitioning to boxing just need to concentrate on one of the things that they were previously training in and let the rest go. Boxers on the other hand, need to learn a whole new set of skills just to become competitive in MMA, simply because MMA fights happen in all the ranges (kick, punch, knee, elbow, and ground) and boxing mostly happens on just two of those (punching range and clinch). One particular scenario that illustrates the differences and when both fighters go into the clinch. A boxer's instincts will just be to hold on and pepper him with short hooks to the body and wait for the ref to break it up. In an MMA fight, the clinch is usually just the beginning of the fight and not an excuse to take a breath, and an unprepared boxer will not see the knees, elbows, takedown, and probably a standing submission coming (guillotine or a standing kimura).

Again, because there is MORE MONEY in boxing, it attracts the better athletes.

The better athletes thing is debatable. If you mean overall athletic ability (strength, dexterity, endurance, conditioning, etc.) then I would say you're wrong.

In a purely athletic competition, like the NFL combine test:

* 40-yard dash

* Bench press (225lb repetitions)

* Vertical jump

* Broad jump

* 20 yard shuttle

* 3 cone drill

* 60-yard shuttle

* Physical measurements

* Injury evaluation

* The Cybex test

or a run of any of the World's Strongest Man events. Sean Sherk, GSP, and Brock Lesnar would smoke any boxer of the same size, weight, and age.

MMA fighters are some of the world's most finely tuned athletes, IMO second only to olympic level gymnasts.

A more realistic reason why MMA fighters rarely transition to boxing, even if they can be successful in it, is that it's harder to get big money opportunities in boxing. the sport is bigger, there's more red tape and bureaucracy to deal with, there's rampant corruption, etc. It would take MMA fighters a long time, and probably lot's of shots to the head before he starts seeing real money. And no current MMA star would want to go through all that just to prove a point. Most of them would rather stay in MMA, where its relatively easier to get noticed.

For the flip side, the fact that more boxers than MMA fighters now, can be attributed to the relative cost of training in each sport. Boxing training is relatively more inexpensive than MMA, because you only have one trainer to pay, your boxing coach. MMA is more expensive, you have your striking coach, your grappling coach, and a head coach that brings both strategies together. Training Jiu Jitsu at a local BJJ academy is definitely more expensive than training boxing at elorde, add your Muay Thai training, it comes out to at least P3500 - 5000 versus less than 2000 for boxing, maybe even free if you live in the gym and do odd jobs inside to pay for your training. The return on your investment once you become pro will definitely be higher in boxing, because of the low initial cost.

I don't really think it has anything to do with athletic ability.

P.S. Forgive my "ignorance" about MMA.

don't worry man, I still love ya :)

Edited by Larry

On topic: Is MMA going to k*ll Boxing

answer: hell no! its two different sports. boxing has been around for decades while MMA is just reaching its peak.

plus boxing is more universal in terms of organizations and championship belts. ang pinaglalaban lang yung weight division championships. while sa MMA medyo mas business like ang structure. UFC is a brand name ng ZUFFA network while Affliction and other now defunct MMA organizations are trying their best to be as succesful as the UFC.

sobrang magkaiba ang sports na to guys so hindi mo pwede icompare. sa boxing kapag nagtry iprotect ng fighter ang sarili by hugging his opponent pinagkakalas sila ng ref. while in mma if the fighter is hurt he can protect himself by hugging his opponent to avoid further damages and its allowed by the refs.

any high caliber boxer will beat the crap out of any MMA fighter in a boxing match. and vice versa. mma fighters will k*ll boxers in an MMA match.

No, not even Belfort or Lidell can hold their ground in the boxing arena.

Belfort, I believe tried out boxing once.

yup. i believe he knocked his opponent down thrice within the first minute.

i heard anderson silva tried out pro boxing.

A more realistic reason why MMA fighters rarely transition to boxing, even if they can be successful in it, is that it's harder to get big money opportunities in boxing. the sport is bigger, there's more red tape and bureaucracy to deal with, there's rampant corruption, etc. It would take MMA fighters a long time, and probably lot's of shots to the head before he starts seeing real money. And no current MMA star would want to go through all that just to prove a point. Most of them would rather stay in MMA, where its relatively easier to get noticed.

amen. in local boxing, you have to win around 20-30 fights before you get a shot at the title. in mma, i know several people who held championships with one fight under their belt.

i personally know around four or six professional mma fighters compared to more than twenty professional boxers.

Edited by Palakol