Mma Vs Boxing

dragonei

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anderson vs. Bhop? in a boxing match? Complete and total destruction by Bhop.

I really doubt this. Of course, we are speculating on guys in their prime right? Bhop is, what 40 yr old, now?

The one driving force of professional sports is MONEY. If you are doing it "for the love of", then stick to the "amateur" ranks (look up the etymology of the word, amateur).

If 1 to 5 million USD is not enough reason to crossover then what is? Any MMA champ, in his right mind, who has a shot at Manny Pacquiao's belt for the WBC lightweight championship, would certainly go for it for 3-5 million reasons.

And what would be the motivation for a boxing champion to crossover to the MMA? The 500 K USD paycheck you earn after you win a belt?

------------

As to your fitness test: Well, ok, maybe the MMA would win that. You see, boxers are trained for one specific thing (unlike MMA practitioners). And that is to box. No weight training. Slow twitch muscles get in the way of the development of fast twitch muscles. Road training is for endurance (not to run fast). Because of the very tight weight requirement, evey muscle in a boxer's body are either useful or thrown away (left undeveloped). Boxers do not lift heavy, do no run fast, would trip all-over themselves in 20 yd shuttle. What they can do is punch hard and duck punches for 12 rds.

When I said the best athletes, I meant the MOST TALENTED raw athletes. Because of the very specific training boxers have to go through, they are only good for one thing -- that is, to box.

I really doubt this. Of course, we are speculating on guys in their prime right? Bhop is, what 40 yr old, now?

uhm i just said that bhop would win bro...

When I said the best athletes, I meant the MOST TALENTED raw athletes.

again debatable

there are a lot of talented raw athletes in MMA, one very notable example is BJ Penn. With only 3 years training in BJJ, he won the World Jiu Jitsu Championships, and was awarded his blackbelt. that's just pure raw talent.

There are a lot of other examples as well of fighters who are just pure talent making it in MMA. Olympic superstars, and world champions of almost every combat sport in the world have turned to MMA as a legit option of making money, utilizing the skills that took their entire lives to acquire. Before MMA came, olympic wrestling champions, judokas, etc had nowhere to go after the olympics and most of them found MMA as a chance to stay competitive even after their Olympic Careers.

it's not a question of who gets the better raw athletes, both sports have their fair share of it. It's more an issue of easier accessibility.

Like I said, boxing is the more economical alternative to fighters wanting to earn money by fighting, which makes it easier for them to start boxing than MMA, which in turn makes it more favorable to people who want to make a living out of fighting. It's simply more accessible.

Potential winnings from boxing are irrelevant at this point, because it takes years to be able to earn decent money from boxing. And not everyone gets that golden chance to fight in big money cards, or even be a mid-carder in a PPV bout.

If 1 to 5 million USD is not enough reason to crossover then what is? Any MMA champ, in his right mind, who has a shot at Manny Pacquiao's belt for the WBC lightweight championship, would certainly go for it for 3-5 million reasons.

uhm no

to get a shot at Pacquiao's belt, you have to be somebody first, to get to that level means taking minor/major concussions at least 4 - 5 times a year, maybe even more if you're really that green. Couple that with the politicking that goes on in boxing, you'll never even see the ring at the MGM Grand if you don't know anybody.

and if you're thinking of a cross promotional fight between an MMA star and a pro-boxer, don't be surprised when nobody takes up the offer. No MMA fighter in his right mind will fight a world champion (not to mention the PfP champion) boxer in a straight up boxing match. He would simply get killed and his reputation as a bad ass ruined. So away goes all the endorsement deals, and maybe even the UFC contract. On the other hand, no boxer worth anything would fight an MMA World Champion in an MMA bout, even if it's watered down hybrid Boxing-MMA rules. The boxer would get destroyed and his multi-million dollar contracts will go up in smoke.

It's simply not a viable option to move to boxing after having made it in MMA, regardless of how much money they will potentially earn.

and don't be shocked, a lot of professional fighters in the UFC actually do it for the love of the sport, etymology of the word be damned. Jeremy Horn fights for smaller events for free and doesn't care where it is in the US. Exactly the reason why he has racked up a record of 88-19-5. A lot of the old schoolers fought in events for gas money. Even now the lesser known MMA fighters fight for nickels and dimes just to rack up the experience. Do you think the fighters at the URCC or fearless do it for the money? the mindset in MMA is a lot different. to a lot of MMA enthusiasts, getting into a fight in a ring or cage is the ultimate proving ground for your skills. You fight because you want to fight. Period.

Edited by Larry
and don't be shocked, a lot of professional fighters in the UFC actually do it for the love of the sport, etymology of the word be damned. Jeremy Horn fights for smaller events for free and doesn't care where it is in the US. Exactly the reason why he has racked up a record of 88-19-5. A lot of the old schoolers fought in events for gas money. Even now the lesser known MMA fighters fight for nickels and dimes just to rack up the experience. Do you think the fighters at the URCC or fearless do it for the money? the mindset in MMA is a lot different. to a lot of MMA enthusiasts, getting into a fight in a ring or cage is the ultimate proving ground for your skills. You fight because you want to fight. Period.

This one I can personally attest to. Amen bro. Very Very well said. :thumbsupsmiley:

Do you think the fighters at the URCC or fearless do it for the money? the mindset in MMA is a lot different. to a lot of MMA enthusiasts, getting into a fight in a ring or cage is the ultimate proving ground for your skills. You fight because you want to fight. Period.

GAB license: 4'000+

Gym Fees: 3'000 - 5'000+ per month

Equipment: 3'000+

Post-fight Medical Bills: 2'000 for laceration treatment and antibiotics

Training: blood, sweat, and tears

etc...

how much does a URCC bout pay? around 10'000 - 15'000 for a newbie. that sound like a good investment?

if you want money, work in a f#&king bank. or a call center. or do networking. almost anything pays better than this.

As to your fitness test: Well, ok, maybe the MMA would win that. You see, boxers are trained for one specific thing (unlike MMA practitioners). And that is to box. No weight training. Slow twitch muscles get in the way of the development of fast twitch muscles. Road training is for endurance (not to run fast). Because of the very tight weight requirement, evey muscle in a boxer's body are either useful or thrown away (left undeveloped). Boxers do not lift heavy, do no run fast, would trip all-over themselves in 20 yd shuttle. What they can do is punch hard and duck punches for 12 rds.

When I said the best athletes, I meant the MOST TALENTED raw athletes. Because of the very specific training boxers have to go through, they are only good for one thing -- that is, to box.

1. boxers weight train. there's this new thing they call "explosive lifting." you take a weight, and you lift it as fast as possible. because fast twitch type I fibers produce a lot of force in a short period of time. a high intensity burst. slow twitch type II fibers produce little force for an extended period of time. low intensity. like repetitive lifting of light weights. or aerobics. does that sound like boxing to you?

2. boxers do intervals and hill sprints. (sprints. that means running fast.) some actually train intervals exclusively. you don't box for a continuous 45 minutes at a slow pace (slow long distance run). you box for an intense 3 minutes at short busts (combinations) with one minute rest in between rounds (intervals). that is what the timer in the gym is for.

3. biceps are almost entirely unused. yet, you cannot develop pulling power (particularly the lats) unless you do multi-joint exercises which include the biceps. do not overgeneralize.

4. the shuttle run's challenge is the fact that you need to constantly change direction, and quickly accelerate. that reminds me of something... footwork. i think boxers use a lot of footwork.

5. floyd mayweather jr. can do 40 consecutive pullups and can run a mile in 5 minutes. that is a sign of developed non-punching, non-ducking muscles, and running fast.

6. boxing is a very complex sport. do not oversimplify it.

7. just what exactly do you mean by "most talented raw athlete?"

Edited by Palakol
uhm i just said that bhop would win bro...

Ooops... I misread "by" as "of"...

It's simply not a viable option to move to boxing after having made it in MMA, regardless of how much money they will potentially earn.

I would (if I were MMA champ). Just to prove I am the baddest man in the planet. Tis the reason I loved the original UFC. It's one style trying to prove they are the best over everybody else. MMA champion kicks the ass of a boxing champ in boxing? It's like someone comes to your own bedroom and screwing with your wife! lol!

But I guess, MMA champions, are right now, more realistic about their chances. They can beat up a boxer outside the boxing arena (no doubt about that). But no, they don't stand a chance to win in a boxing match.

Let me just put it this way, you can pictgure Iron Mike (in his prime) being competitive in an MMA match, right? Given maybe 6 months training to learn rudimentary grappling techniques and he can (maybe) win an MMA belt. Can anyone from the MMA/UFC ever beat Iron Mike in boxing?

Precisely the reason I see MMA fighters trying to beat boxers at their own game (if they thought they stood a chance). These guys, IMHO, are the real warriors. Fighters who fight simply to earn the title badass. And what's more badass than beating up someone in his own kitchen?

1. boxers weight train. there's this new thing they call "explosive lifting." you take a weight, and you lift it as fast as possible. because fast twitch type I fibers produce a lot of force in a short period of time. a high intensity burst. slow twitch type II fibers produce little force for an extended period of time. low intensity. like repetitive lifting of light weights. or aerobics. does that sound like boxing to you?

2. boxers do intervals and hill sprints. (sprints. that means running fast.) some actually train intervals exclusively. you don't box for a continuous 45 minutes at a slow pace (slow long distance run). you box for an intense 3 minutes at short busts (combinations) with one minute rest in between rounds (intervals). that is what the timer in the gym is for.

3. biceps are almost entirely unused. yet, you cannot develop pulling power (particularly the lats) unless you do multi-joint exercises which include the biceps. do not overgeneralize.

4. the shuttle run's challenge is the fact that you need to constantly change direction, and quickly accelerate. that reminds me of something... footwork. i think boxers use a lot of footwork.

5. floyd mayweather jr. can do 40 consecutive pullups and can run a mile in 5 minutes. that is a sign of developed non-punching, non-ducking muscles, and running fast.

6. boxing is a very complex sport. do not oversimplify it.

I got (some) training, old school. First thing I was told was NOT to lift weights. General principle is, you do not carry excess weight (muscle) that is USELESS in the boxing arena. Muscle bound athletes will get knocked-out by reed thin boxers easilly.

As to my oversimplification, I only did that to emphasize the point that boxing is a highly SPECIALIZED sport. Running fast, lifting heavy, etc. is a

by-product of training, it is NOT the target. You are always on the look-out from developing "useless" muscles. MMA training, on the other hand, needs to be more "general" since the sport employs different disciplines/techniques. So those tests that Larry enumerated, I am sure MMA will win that.

Let me put it this way. We all start in the school yard / barangay level. You try different sports. If you are successful with your choice of sport, you move on to the next higher level. If not, you move to another sport. But your first choice is, always will be, the one that will potentially earn you the most lucrative career. MONEY. Boxing, as of the moment, gets the cream of the crop. Simply because, the money is in boxing. If I am a young talented athlete, given the choice between MMA vs. boxing for a career, I would choose boxing (because I am a shallow greedy person, Lol!).

Of course, there are always exceptions to the rule. Fighters who fight simply because they want to fight. But this is rare. And not the general rule.

Edited by skitz
I got (some) training, old school. First thing I was told was NOT to lift weights. General principle is, you do not carry excess weight (muscle) that is USELESS in the boxing arena. Muscle bound athletes will get knocked-out by reed thin boxers easilly.

i would say mike tyson is muscle-bound. explosive lifting really isn't a new thing. the thing is, you can't accidentally get huge. you have to work at it. usually by aiming to get huge and specializing in weight training. you train in volume to maximize sarcoplasmic hypertrophy. and that old school belief that boxers should never weight train is precisely what it is: old school. even old school martial artists were taught never to lift weights. that is because instead of spending time on pumping iron, they should use that time to focus on skill. the general principle is optimum efficiency for every ounce of muscle. bigger, heavier muscles do not necessarily mean stronger muscles. remember, powerlifters compete in weight divisions. so do mixed martial artists.

Running fast, lifting heavy, etc. is a by-product of training, it is NOT the target. You are always on the look-out from developing "useless" muscles.

uhhh, you don't run fast by training to run slow. you run fast because you trained to run fast. sprint training is essential to any boxer's regimen. as you said, they need the fast twitch fibers.

what exactly do you mean by "useless muscle?"

Boxing, as of the moment, gets the cream of the crop. Simply because, the money is in boxing. If I am a young talented athlete, given the choice between MMA vs. boxing for a career, I would choose boxing (because I am a shallow greedy person, Lol!).

i cannot claim that i know the financial facts regarding these two sports. nor do i know if most great athletes choose boxing over mma. this however, is what i know about the local scene:

first professional boxing match purse: 4'000 php

first professional mma match purse: 10'000-15'000 php

Edited by Palakol
i would say mike tyson is muscle-bound. explosive lifting really isn't a new thing. the thing is, you can't accidentally get huge. you have to work at it. usually by aiming to get huge and specializing in weight training. you train in volume to maximize sarcoplasmic hypertrophy. and that old school belief that boxers should never weight train is precisely what it is: old school. even old school martial artists were taught never to lift weights. that is because instead of spending time on pumping iron, they should use that time to focus on skill. the general principle is optimum efficiency for every ounce of muscle. bigger, heavier muscles do not necessarily mean stronger muscles. remember, powerlifters compete in weight divisions. so do mixed martial artists.

Yes. Mike Tyson has got big muscles. I doubt he got that from weight training though (I am not sure). I admit, that I've not been to a boxing gym the last 15(?) years, but no, you will not see any freeweights there. Mike, I believe, got those muscles by punching the heavy bag. Check out ALA or even the ABAP training gyms (not Gold's as they train even non boxers).

uhhh, you don't run fast by training to run slow. you run fast because you trained to run fast. sprint training is essential to any boxer's regimen. as you said, they need the fast twitch fibers.

No. My contention is, that boxers are NOT trained to run fast. That is my intended point. As to running the shuttle to get good footwork, I would say "no". That would not help. First lesson in boxing is how to move forward and backwards without breaking your stance. How can running the shuttle help you with that kind of footwork (one foot always behind the other)? Mas ma -te-train ka pa ng footwork by hitting the speed ball (ironically). Why? Beyond the obvious hand-eye coordination development, hitting the speedball also requires you to shift your weight to the correct leg when you are hitting with one fist after the other. Of course, there are other training techniques that are done to develop footwork.

what exactly do you mean by "useless muscle?"

Any muscle that has got nothing to do with "punching hard and moving away from punches for 12 rounds" is useless as far as boxing is concerned. You don't want to develop those muscles and carry the extra weight. See Erik Morales as reference. That reed thin fighter can knock people out 2x bigger than he is.

i cannot claim that i know the financial facts regarding these two sports. nor do i know if most great athletes choose boxing over mma. this however, is what i know about the local scene:

first professional boxing match purse: 4'000 php

first professional mma match purse: 10'000-15'000 php

Well, that's a good thing! Like I said, I believe that MMA will eventually k*ll boxing (as we know it today) if they play their cards right. And that simply means MONEY. That MMA is now paying more (at the entry level) than boxing, is a start. Let's not kid ourselves, if the NBA does not pay as much as it does, Lebron or Kobe would be doing something else (maybe track or football). To get the best athletes, you need to pay highest price.

Yes. Mike Tyson has got big muscles. I doubt he got that from weight training though (I am not sure). I admit, that I've not been to a boxing gym the last 15(?) years, but no, you will not see any freeweights there. Mike, I believe, got those muscles by punching the heavy bag. Check out ALA or even the ABAP training gyms (not Gold's as they train even non boxers).

15 years ago, even martial artists did not lift weights. you might want to check out elorde gym at sucat, parañaque. soon as you enter, you will see numerous exercise equipment to the left.

others.

http://homepages.nyu.edu/~ag1540/BoxingGym.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/57529085@N00/3063218270/

if tyson got those muscles from punching the heavy bag, why isn't erik morales as thick as he is? does that mean that erik morales does not punch the bag as much a tyson does?

becky garcia. mike zambidis. roy doliguez. but a few boxers i have witnessed using weights in their training program.

As to running the shuttle to get good footwork, I would say "no". That would not help. First lesson in boxing is how to move forward and backwards without breaking your stance. How can running the shuttle help you with that kind of footwork (one foot always behind the other)?

so you are saying it will NOT help your footwork AT ALL? the constant changing of direction, always being on your toes, the development of the leg muscles for that spring, the lower body muscle endurance that the shuttle develops will not help a boxer at all? hmmm...

is this also applicable for the jumping rope? boxing teaches you to keep both feet on the ground for balance. by your logic, the jumping rope will NOT help your footwork, since you are never supposed to jump in boxing. nor are you supposed to put your knees up (something boxers do with the jumping rope).

you seem to know a lot about boxing. if i may, i would like to inquire about your boxing experience.

Any muscle that has got nothing to do with "punching hard and moving away from punches for 12 rounds" is useless as far as boxing is concerned. You don't want to develop those muscles and carry the extra weight. See Erik Morales as reference. That reed thin fighter can knock people out 2x bigger than he is.

that is because big muscles do not necessarily mean strong muscles. if you want big muscles, you have to work at getting those big muscles. weight training will not make you big. weight training aimed specifically to make you big will make you big. and in boxing, you use every muscle. so basically, these "useless muscles" you speak of may not exist.

Let's not kid ourselves, if the NBA does not pay as much as it does, Lebron or Kobe would be doing something else (maybe track or football). To get the best athletes, you need to pay highest price.

i don't think so, man. these guys have probably been playing basketball since they were five. at five, you don't think "i'll train to be good in basketball so i'll get a lot of money. because there is money in basketball." they play because they love the game. doing something you love for money is just a bonus. and no, they won't be doing anything else. because they are trained to be basketball players. the skills they have and learned will not apply to just any sport. athletes are not universal. they train specifically for their sport. it's like throwing michael phelps into a triathlon, because it pays more. you think he'll be able to get to third place? it's also like that earlier topic about throwing a boxer in the octagon. yes, he has one piece of the puzzle. but because he lacks all the other pieces, his chances don't look to good.

how exactly do you determine if a "raw athlete" is better than the other?

Edited by Palakol
This one I can personally attest to. Amen bro. Very Very well said. :thumbsupsmiley:

hehehe nga pala kelan laban mo sa URCC ulit? ^_^

ooh i think it would be relevant to this thread, but I heard (or read if you're picky about it) that Tim Sylvia is going to fight Ray Mercer in a BOXING match; may 30th at the taj mahal in Atlantic City.

Tim's got balls, I hope Ray doesn't feed it to him.

ain't that the same Mercer who Kimbo KOed?

Tim's got a chance i believe so ^_^ he's got a good long jab ^_^

For those of you who do not know, two of the most popular fight announcers today are infact half brothers.

We all know Micheal Buffer with his qoutes.

"Somebodies 0 has got to go!"

and of course

"LLLLLLEEEETSSSSS GET READY TO RUMBBBBLLLLLLLLEEEEE!"

Not to mention he has announced the most significant boxing matches of this century.

His brother Bruce Buffer on the other hand, is the voice of the octagon. some of his popular quotes.

"WE ARE LLLLLIVVVVVEEE!!!

and

"IIIIIITTTTTSSSSS TIIIIIIME!

Question; who does it better? The veteran boxing announcer, or the voice of the octagon? Boxing announcer VS MMA announcer.

post-63499-1235450497.jpg

post-63499-1235450635.jpg

They said Arlovski might transition into boxing! KJ Noons is a MMA/ Pro boxer, I read that he will concentrate more in boxing!

By the way Vince Mcmahon (WWE owner) already owns 20% of the UFC! Obviously WWE is not dying! We ju got older and realized it was fake! Hehehe... :thumbsupsmiley:

Will MMA k*ll Pro boxing! Hell No! But one day MMA will reach or be at the same level of Pro Boxing! In terms of PPV sales, MMA/UFC is selling more than Boxing! But in terms of fighters payout boxing has the upper hand! :thumbsdownsmiley:

Question; who does it better? The veteran boxing announcer, or the voice of the octagon? Boxing announcer VS MMA announcer.

suwabe ang boses ni mike. ginamit nga siya sa zohan. si bruce, normal lang.

i'd say MMA is gonna k*ll pro wrestling... even kids now don't watch much wrestling like we did when we were their age... ^_^

i wouldn't say that. MMA still lacks the intricate and dramatic storylines in pro wrestling. (like Kane being Undertaker's dead brother. who could forget that?)

and have you seen our URCC heavyweight champ's batista and undertaker impersonation?

guys pls dont put down on sport just to prove that the other is better.

there was a time when a famous boxer named floyd mayweather jr. claimed that he could easily win in a MMA fight. Dana chuckled but challenged the boxer to fight any of his UFC boys. eventually, floyd apologizes and said he just kidding. he might have realized that boxing and mma are two very different sports.

and how about DAnA WHite blocking the proposed boxing fight of Anderson Silva and Roy Jones Jr? Dana might have also realized what mayweather thought, these are two diferent sports. A boxer will punish a MMA fighter in a boxing match, and a MMA fighter would cripple a boxer in a MMA fight.

Edited by bengbangerz

Pareng Palakol, medyo nalalayo na tayo sa usapan. Gets mo naman ang point ko na specialized ang training ng boxing di ba? And also the point that you don't want to carry around "useless" muscles (lalo na sa lower weight division, hence the difference between Mike Tyson and Erik Morales).

AS to the best "raw athletes", eto lang last point ko dun. Kids try different sports. Kobe, Lebron, etc., may now be exclusive to basketball, but I am almost certain that the when they were kids they also tried other sports. Allen Iverson, I know, could have played college football (QB). Danny Ainge was drafted to play in MLB. SO why choose basketball? Because it offers the most lucrative career. If you suddenly put a salary cap of 100K USD annual salary in the NBA, do you think Lebron and Kobe would stick with it? No. They can do OTHER sports. The best athletes will go to the sport that will pay them the most. Except for the Yao Mings (who were born to play basketball and nothing else), I don't see any of the current crop of NBA players staying in the league. Pet theory ko nga yan e, the reason why the US Olympic teams no longer dominate the sprints (since the NBA salary skyrocketted thanks to the Jordan era) . They're all doing something else (football or basketball). Latak na lang natitira sa Olympics.

suwabe ang boses ni mike. ginamit nga siya sa zohan. si bruce, normal lang.

i wouldn't say that. MMA still lacks the intricate and dramatic storylines in pro wrestling. (like Kane being Undertaker's dead brother. who could forget that?)

and have you seen our URCC heavyweight champ's batista and undertaker impersonation?

kunsabagay, walang intricate drama in the UFC unlike pro wrestling ahehehe

but i'm sure MMA fighters get paid as much as pro wrestlers, the only difference is in pro wrestling they don't get hurt much and if they do it was accidental...

For those of you who do not know, two of the most popular fight announcers today are infact half brothers.

We all know Micheal Buffer with his qoutes.

"Somebodies 0 has got to go!"

and of course

"LLLLLLEEEETSSSSS GET READY TO RUMBBBBLLLLLLLLEEEEE!"

Not to mention he has announced the most significant boxing matches of this century.

His brother Bruce Buffer on the other hand, is the voice of the octagon. some of his popular quotes.

"WE ARE LLLLLIVVVVVEEE!!!

and

"IIIIIITTTTTSSSSS TIIIIIIME!

NOBODY can beat the "Bruce Buffer 180°" turn.

guys pls dont put down on sport just to prove that the other is better.

there was a time when a famous boxer named floyd mayweather jr. claimed that he could easily win in a MMA fight. Dana chuckled but challenged the boxer to fight any of his UFC boys. eventually, floyd apologizes and said he just kidding. he might have realized that boxing and mma are two very different sports.

and how about DAnA WHite blocking the proposed boxing fight of Anderson Silva and Roy Jones Jr? Dana might have also realized what mayweather thought, these are two diferent sports. A boxer will punish a MMA fighter in a boxing match, and a MMA fighter would cripple a boxer in a MMA fight.

who said anything about one being better? i like both.

Pareng Palakol, medyo nalalayo na tayo sa usapan. Gets mo naman ang point ko na specialized ang training ng boxing di ba? And also the point that you don't want to carry around "useless" muscles (lalo na sa lower weight division, hence the difference between Mike Tyson and Erik Morales).

AS to the best "raw athletes", eto lang last point ko dun. Kids try different sports. Kobe, Lebron, etc., may now be exclusive to basketball, but I am almost certain that the when they were kids they also tried other sports. Allen Iverson, I know, could have played college football (QB). Danny Ainge was drafted to play in MLB. SO why choose basketball? Because it offers the most lucrative career. If you suddenly put a salary cap of 100K USD annual salary in the NBA, do you think Lebron and Kobe would stick with it? No. They can do OTHER sports. The best athletes will go to the sport that will pay them the most. Except for the Yao Mings (who were born to play basketball and nothing else), I don't see any of the current crop of NBA players staying in the league. Pet theory ko nga yan e, the reason why the US Olympic teams no longer dominate the sprints (since the NBA salary skyrocketted thanks to the Jordan era) . They're all doing something else (football or basketball). Latak na lang natitira sa Olympics.

so you are saying that baketball players (except for yao) play because of the money, like boxers do? i don't think there's been any study regarding the reasons why athletes play the game. i highly doubt that pacquiao (or any other highly rated boxer for that matter), who has been training exclusively in boxing for more than 11 years is going to suddenly shift to submission fighting even if it payed quadruple what he currently earns. and theoretically, pacquiao should be one of the best "raw athletes" out there. and (the original topic) you still didn't clearly state how one would determine which is the better "raw athlete." give us an example of how you would measure the "raw athleticism" of one athlete to compare with another. in your opinion, who is the better "raw athlete," Georges Saint-Pierre, or Bernard Hopkins? (both ones of the higherst rated in their field.)

and there are no "useless muscles," man. i'd like ask you again about your boxing and mma experience, if you don't mind.

Edited by Palakol

No MMA experience. Don't know how to grapple. Was taught karate (not seriously though). Just enough that I know how to punch and kick. Was taught boxing by former WBC light welterweight champion of the world, Pedro Adigue (RIP). Never fought as an amateur. Just sparred 4 rounders in the gym. Fought pretty well (as a counterpuncher) until one stiff right broke my nose. And I quit. I'm too vain to get a boxer's nose. :D

Of course there are no "useless" muscles (if read literally). Point is, boxer's do not want to develop muscles that are of no use to them in the boxing ring. Reason why they don't want body builder's frame. Arnold Schwarzenneger would be too slow, too heavy and too easy to hit. Even Erik Morales (easilly outweighed by 100lbs) can knock out Arnie.

AS to the best raw athletes, that only means the cream of the crop of young athletes before they specialize in particular sport. And I stand by my pet theory. The most lucrative career would attract the best young raw athletes.

Of course there are no "useless" muscles (if read literally). Point is, boxer's do not want to develop muscles that are of no use to them in the boxing ring. Reason why they don't want body builder's frame. Arnold Schwarzenneger would be too slow, too heavy and too easy to hit. Even Erik Morales (easilly outweighed by 100lbs) can knock out Arnie.

kind of contradicting ourselves now, aren't we?

there are no "useless muscles." and we go back again to bulky guys like mike tyson, ricky hatton, etc...

you still didn't clearly state how one would determine which is the better "raw athlete." give us an example of how you would measure the "raw athleticism" of one athlete to compare with another. in your opinion, who is the better "raw athlete," Georges Saint-Pierre, or Bernard Hopkins? (both ones of the higherst rated in their field.)