Singapore Travel - Hidden Secrets

Guest event_horizon
i love seasons lemon tea :) sa singapore lang meron!

i usually buy my pasalubong sa bugis junction - cheaper than anywhere, plus the fact that i look like a local, speak singlish kaya akala nila taga dun ako!

hi wander_lust, do you travel frequently to singapore?

Guest event_horizon

follow-up lang: the chili crab at Macpherson is directly opposite the drink store. can't really remember the shop name, but they have a big metal cage filled with crabs.

Guest event_horizon
ramon123, not as much as i want to :) nung nandyan pa yun best friend ko i go quarterly for around 3 years. kaso umuwi na sya dito sa manila so depende sa mga travel packages na mura :)

no problem... just keep on sharing your experiences in singapore here :)

kung mapadaan ka ulit, sabihan mo kami...

hey guys, I am literally writing down all the infos that's posted here. tnx. puede kaya mag MTR na lang ako para maikot ang buong Singapore? magastos ang taxi eh. ano bang effective transportation para maikot ang buong singapore?

Pareng Anaheim:

The MRT can take you anywhere around the city center. Just make sure you bring along a good street map (usually given out for free at the hotel concierge).

Chances are, you need to do a bit of walking after getting off the station. Don't worry, the streets are very safe even at night.

Pero kung ang pupuntahan mo naman ay nasa labas (Singapore Zoo, Sentosa, East Coast, etc.), mas madali kung mag-taxi ka na lang talaga. Although these places are accessible by a combination of MRT/feeder bus commute, I wouldn't recommend it. Being a visitor with limited time, I'm sure you want to hit as many places in one day and would hardly have enough time to figure out the bus routes and wonder when they would be arriving. Although public transport is very efficient, you still need some effort to get used to it.

In the unlikely event that you get stuck in a place where there seems to be no taxis passing by, I would suggest you look for the nearest coin-operated pay phone and dial 552-1111 or 552-2222. Those are the numbers of the taxi operators. Ask them to send a cab for you. Just tell them where you are (take note of the name of the streets around you and the nearest landmark). If you have your celphone and you're roaming, you'll just have to call them long distance 065 552-1111 etc.

Cheers!

Edited by Magaling
Guest event_horizon

i agree with what magaling has said.. MRT though convenient, is not as fast as taking a cab.. but if you have time to burn, then go for it..

you can take the MRT from the airport to the city...

though meron ng NE line, it does not help much in going around for sightseeing..

for sightseeing, MRT is not enough, you would still need to ride the bus. ie. the bus to the zoo from AMK MRT takes around 30 mins.. a cab can get you there in 10-15..

December is fast approaching and what better place to go for a vacation? Sunny Singapore!

The last time I was in Singapore was 1993. I bet things have change in Singapore. I've read that there is now a Snow city themed attraction wherein you can learn how to ski or snowboarding!

To those who have traveled to Singapore please share your experiences, where's the best place to dine, where to shop at bargain prices, best attractions you've seen so far.

i worked there for quite some time and was back here about few months ago for good. if you want to experience the real singapore, try the heartlands. their neighbourhood hawker centers or eateries most of their staff can speak basic english anyway. try stuff like their chicken rice (steamed or roasted) laksa, char kway teow, kambing soup (herbal and indian style), big prawn noodles, and pork ribs soup or bak kut teh. i could actually go on and on... desserts try chendol and ice kachang their version of our halo halo. sometimes you can ask the reliable taxi driver on where to eat best foods. late hour dining you can try newton circus or liang seah street behind bugis junction. enjoy anaheim!

hey guys, I am literally writing down all the infos that's posted here. tnx. puede kaya mag MTR na lang ako para maikot ang buong Singapore? magastos ang taxi eh. ano bang effective transportation para maikot ang buong singapore?

yup mrt can take you anywhere around singapore, pwede ring mag bus, tama si pareng magaling ang daming available na maps sa hotel and may instruction at madali lang sundin, when i was there 2 years ago di naman ako nawala :D

tapos dude if you're into perfumes try going to mustafa, they have cheap perfumes.

i worked there for quite some time and was back here about few months ago for good. if you want to experience the real singapore, try the heartlands. their neighbourhood hawker centers or eateries most of their staff can speak basic english anyway. try stuff like their chicken rice (steamed or roasted) laksa, char kway teow, kambing soup (herbal and indian style), big prawn noodles, and pork ribs soup or bak kut teh. i could actually go on and on... desserts try chendol and ice kachang their version of our halo halo. sometimes you can ask the reliable taxi driver on where to eat best foods. late hour dining you can try newton circus or liang seah street behind bugis junction. enjoy anaheim!

Pareng Anaheim:

Lickero is right on the money! If you want to experience the "real" Singapore, you have to stray from the beaten path. That is, if you have the time.

Just one bit of caution when you eat at the hawker centers: take it easy on the soup. That's where all the vetsin is! If you have a low tolerance level on MSG like I do, you might discover in a rather unpleasant way that the amount of vetsin that they use goes way beyond that of the average Filipino household. Clue: you can't buy vetsin in Singapore in small pouches, they buy it on kilo packages the way we buy sugar!

When you order noodles, eat the noodles and the meat. That's okay. Just don't eat up the soup that comes with it no matter how tempting. Or you can specify that you want it "dry" ergo without soup.

Most other places (stand alone restaurants, hotel restos, tourist restos, etc.) don't have this problem. It's just that because the prices are low, most hawker centers try to skimp on the spices and replace them with MSG instead.

Happy eating!

if in the middle of ur trip u suddenly miss pinoy food u could go to lucky plaza there are pinoy resto's there and a lot of pinoys hanging around.. u will also be surprised when a singaporean suddenly talks to u in tagalog saying.. suki! mura dito! bili ka na! hehehhe

Whenever I get homesick, there's a place there I always go to (forgot the name of the resto) and their specialty is crispy pata.

Pareng Anaheim:

The MRT can take you anywhere around the city center.  Just make  sure you bring along a good street map (usually given out for free at the hotel concierge).

Chances are, you need to do a bit of walking after getting off the station.  Don't worry, the streets are very safe even at night.

Pero kung ang pupuntahan mo naman ay nasa labas (Singapore Zoo, Sentosa, East Coast, etc.), mas madali kung mag-taxi ka na lang talaga.  Although these places are accessible by a combination of MRT/feeder bus commute, I wouldn't recommend it.  Being a visitor with limited time, I'm sure you want to hit as many places in one day and would hardly have enough time to figure out the bus routes and wonder when they would be arriving.  Although public transport is very efficient, you still need some effort to get used to it.

In the unlikely event that you get stuck in a place where there seems to be no taxis passing by, I would suggest you look for the nearest coin-operated pay phone and dial 552-1111 or 552-2222.  Those are the numbers of the taxi operators.  Ask them to send a cab for you.  Just tell them where you are (take note of the name of the streets around you and the nearest landmark).  If you have your celphone and you're roaming, you'll just have to call them long distance 065 552-1111 etc.

Cheers!

pareng Magaling, your post is very informative and helpful too, I've wrote the numbers down on my notes.

kaka gutom yung mga dishes na binanggit mo. sarap!!! i will definitely try them all. ngayon palang gusto ko na pumunta ng singapore.

December is fast approaching and what better place to go for a vacation? Sunny Singapore!

The last time I was in Singapore was 1993. I bet things have change in Singapore. I've read that there is now a Snow city themed attraction wherein you can learn how to ski or snowboarding!

To those who have traveled to Singapore please share your experiences, where's the best place to dine, where to shop at bargain prices, best attractions you've seen so far.

robinson is the place when they have a sale!!

oh by the way, if you're looking for a different kind ko recreation  :evil:  in singapore, go to geylang, lorong 14 ata yung name ng street  :D

Aha! I was going to say the same thing to Pareng Anaheim. But different address: #10 Lorong 20 Geylang.

These are legit places. Fully authorized by the government (yes, sir it's legal in Singapore). Yet, there are still places that offer these services without the necessary licences. This explains the raids.

Mahal ba Pareng Anaheim? The going rate is S$150 everything inclusive. If you have a few extra bucks, it's quite an experience. I can assure you, ibang klase ang mga ito (just pm me for details just in case). We all want this thread to remain wholesome. Hehehe.