• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 7 months later...
  • 5 months later...

my KK tips:

use good bagoong.yung galing sa palengke dapat gisahin na my kamatis. kami sa bahay yung barrio fiesta ginagamit namin, masarap yung may kaunting anghang.

steam vegetables separately, new batch per serving. para laging malutong ang pechay at sitaw, just steam small portions tapos kanya-kanyang kuha na lang. yung karne at sauce lang naman ang kailangan mag-stew e. kahit maubos na ang karne, kung marami pa ding sauce kahit yung gulay lang puedeng-puede na.

sad to say pero parang totoo yung tungkol sa pawis/libag, etc. may ibang tao talaga na mas masarap magluto kahit same recipe.

last: take colchicine before every serving, hehe.

• 2 months later...

to clean the twalya, di pwede yung isang linis lang. i've been doing this every year sa pabasa sa amin.

you have to clean the twalya in salt first then kaskasin mo yung loob using the sharp side of the knife kasi thats where most of the smell resides. the abrasion of the knife and the salt will remove the top layer of the meat that smells. do this at least 3 times.

then boil it for five minutes. but add vinegar to the boiling liquid, or use bicarbonate of soda. do this three times. then wash it again in running water to take away the acid or the soda.

then you can now use the meat. simmer til tender.

use 2 to 1 ratio of peanuts and uncooked rice. dry roast seperately then ground together. add some peanut butter kung bitin ka.

and tama yung previous posts, use pisngi ng baka and ox tail. mas malasa ang sauce because of the ox tail. nagpapalagkit naman yung pisngi.

and no matter how good your kare-kare, if you use bad bagoong, talo! sayang yung niluto mo. for the bagoong, try getting hold of pork fat na nakadikit sa kidney ng baboy, or fatback, yung ginagamit to make lard. render the oil, then use that oil to saute your aromatics. use lots of garlic onions and tomatoes. saute well. then add the bagoong. when buying bagoong in the market, don't use the red colored bagoong. use either the pink or the brown one. and buy it from a reputable seller. mash the bagoong well when you saute it. add a little sugar to balance the flavor. then add very good vinegar. either sukang paombong or sukang iloko. and don't mix the bagoong once the vinegar is added. lower the heat, and let the vinegar burn off.

usually, sa mga blacksheep nng family namin pinaluluto ang karekare during pabasa. siguro penitensya sa hirap.

to clean the twalya, di pwede yung isang linis lang. i've been doing this every year sa pabasa sa amin.

you have to clean the twalya in salt first then kaskasin mo yung loob using the sharp side of the knife kasi thats where most of the smell resides. the abrasion of the knife and the salt will remove the top layer of the meat that smells. do this at least 3 times.

then boil it for five minutes. but add vinegar to the boiling liquid, or use bicarbonate of soda. do this three times. then wash it again in running water to take away the acid or the soda.

then you can now use the meat. simmer til tender.

use 2 to 1 ratio of peanuts and uncooked rice. dry roast seperately then ground together. add some peanut butter kung bitin ka.

and tama yung previous posts, use pisngi ng baka and ox tail. mas malasa ang sauce because of the ox tail. nagpapalagkit naman yung pisngi.

and no matter how good your kare-kare, if you use bad bagoong, talo! sayang yung niluto mo. for the bagoong, try getting hold of pork fat na nakadikit sa kidney ng baboy, or fatback, yung ginagamit to make lard. render the oil, then use that oil to saute your aromatics. use lots of garlic onions and tomatoes. saute well. then add the bagoong. when buying bagoong in the market, don't use the red colored bagoong. use either the pink or the brown one. and buy it from a reputable seller. mash the bagoong well when you saute it. add a little sugar to balance the flavor. then add very good vinegar. either sukang paombong or sukang iloko. and don't mix the bagoong once the vinegar is added. lower the heat, and let the vinegar burn off.

usually, sa mga blacksheep nng family namin pinaluluto ang karekare during pabasa. siguro penitensya sa hirap.

Ayus pre. :thumbsupsmiley: Dagdagan mo na rin ng nguso tsaka bituka. Nakatikim din ako ng may halong gata at sili. Masarap din.

Sa bagoong naman, the best yung gawang malabon.

Mayroon nabibili rin dun na pang KK talaga. Hindi ginisa pero grabeng sarap sa KK. :thumbsupsmiley:

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I cook my kare-kare from scratch, using freshly ground peanuts and ground rice. No peanut butter or ready-made mixes, shortcut yun. Cooking authentic kare-kare (ala style ng mga lola natin) takes more effort (looking for the right ingredients) pero sulit na sulit, makakalimutan ng mga kumain nun and pangalan nila! :lol:

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

KARE-KARE

A rich stew of ox tail, leg or tripe and a variety of vegetables in a sauce flavored and thickened with roasted ground peanuts (peanut butter is just as good!) and toasted rice flour.

Another way to prepare kare-kare is to cook the vegetables separately in a small amount of water. Place cooked vegetables in the serving bowl and pour over the meat and the sauce. This will give you better control over the texture of the vegetables to prevent overcooking them.

Traditionally, as in during my grandparents’ time, kare-kare was cooked with freshly ground roasted peanuts and rice. Well, there’s nothing like cooking it that way, but I find the procedure too much for today’s busy lifestyle. The easiest option is, of course, to get one of those ready mixes that are abundant in supermarkets. I’ve tried a couple brands. The problem was I didn’t have much control over the taste of the cooked kare-kare. The mix determined the final thickness, flavor and color of the dish. If you’re as particular as I am, well, you look for another option.

So, one time I bought “peanut butter” from the wet market. This “peanut butter” is coarser than the bottled variety and unsweetened. It is not made for sandwiches but is sold particularly for cooking kare-kare. Well, the grains were pretty obvious in the sauce and I didn’t like that either.

It was so frustrating that I actually stopped cooking kare-kare for more than a year. Until one day when my mother-in-law asked if we wanted a huge jar of peanut butter that she didn’t know what to do with. My husband, who’s a real peanut butter fan, gladly accepted. The jar was so huge (2 k.) that after a few weeks, it was just sitting, forgotten, way inside the refrigerator. Now this was sandwich peanut butter. Sweet and smooth I debated for a while then decided to use it for kare-kare. Guess what? I finally found the perfect peanut butter for my kare-kare. The slightly sweet flavor of the sauce was really great!

As to the ground roasted rice, well, I don’t particularly feel like grinding rice with a mortar and pestle. I have a supply of rice flour in the pantry (for cooking puto or rice cakes). I toasted half a quarter of a cup in the skillet, mixed it with stock and it did the trick–color, thickness, flavor. I’ve been using this little trick for a long time now.

Finally, about bagoong alamang, what is it? Bagoong alamang is a paste of salted and fermented shrimp fingerlings. I guess it’s an acquired taste. Personally, I find the smell and flavor too strong. And I am allergic to it along with other crustaceans–shrimps, lobsters, crabs, prawns… Plus, it is very high in cholesterol and sodium content. I don’t touch the stuff. Does that mean I can’t enjoy my kare-kare? Wrrrooonnnggg! I season my kare-kare so that no additional salty sauce on the side is necessary. My kids grew up without bagoong alamang, although they enjoy their shrimps, prawns, lobsters and prawns.

Ingredients:

250 g. of ox tripe

250 g. of ox tail

250 g. of ox leg

1/8 c. of annato seeds

1/2 head of cabbage

1 bunch of pechay (pei tsai or bok choy)

1 bunch of sitaw (long string beans)

1 eggplant

1 puso ng saging (heart of banana plant)

1 c. of peanut butter

1/4 c. of rice flour

1 whole garlic, minced

2 onions, diced

5-6 c. of stock

2 tbsp. of cooking oil

salt to taste

How to:

Wash ox tripe, tail and leg well. Place in a large casserole and cover with plenty of water. Bring to a boil, removing scum as it rises. Cover and simmer until tender, about 4 to 6 hours. Transfer meat to a plate, cool and cut into serving pieces. Strain stock and measure 6 cups (you may need less but it’s better to be prepared).

Cut cabbage half into 2 and remove core. Cut off roots and 1/2 inch of stalks of pechay and discard. Cut of roots of sitaw and cut into 2″ lengths. Discard tough outer layers of puso ng saging and cut inner layers into 2″ x 2″ pieces. Cut eggplant into 2″ x 2″ cubes.

Place rice flour in a skillet and toast over medium-high heat until golden. Set aside.

In a casserole, heat oil over medium heat. Add annato seeds and “cook” until they render color and the oil is a bright red. With a slotted spoon, remove annato seeds and discard. Increase heat to medium-high and saute onions and garlic for about 30 seconds. Add meat pieces and cook until they absorb the color or the oil. Pour in 4 cups of stock and bring to a boil. Lower heat to medium and add vegetables in the following order with a 2-minute interval: sitaw, eggplant, puso ng saging, cabbage and pechay.

Meanwhile, mix peanut butter with 1/2 c. of stock. Mix roasted rice flour with 1/2 c. of stock. Once the pechay has been added, pour in peanut butter and rice flour mixtures into the casserole. Stir to blend well. Season it with salt. Cook for about a 2 minutes until sauce is thick.

Serve hot with bagoong alamang.