The Music Of The 80s - Favorites, Classics And Rarities

hitman531ph

DEVO

After scoring big at the charts with their Top 5 hit, WHIP IT, Mark Mothersbaugh and the rest of Devo struggled for hits. PEEK-A-BOO was a minor hit and other singles bombed out. Devo also did the theme song of a Dan Aykroyd movie Dr. Detroit in 1983. The song did not do well in the charts though.

Nowadays, former Devo leadman Mark Mothersbaugh is into musical scoring for movies and TV. He is the guy who did the theme song for the Nickelodeon cartoons "Rugrats" and "All Grown Up."

Although the group is not known for any string of hits, SOFT CELL holds the record for the longest stay of a single in the Billboard Hot 100 in history. The song TAINTED LOVE stayed in the Hot 100 Chart a total of an unprecedented 47 weeks. Now that's nearly a year.

A lesser hit came out of SOFT CELL when they did a remake of an old Supremes song WHERE DID OUR LOVE GO.

SOFT CELL found acceptance among New Wave fans, especially during the time when synth-pop was the fad. SOFT CELL dished out another UK hit called WHAT.

SOFT CELL eventually broke up and singer Marc Almond had a few more UK hits in 1988 as New Wave was fading out. Marc Almond still carried the familiar style of his former band and had a UK hit BITTERSWEET

THE LOTUS EATERS

Liverpool, England's the Lotus Eaters were mistakenly included in the New Romantic movement when they first appeared. However, although Peter Coyle (vocals), Jeremy Kelly (guitar), Mike Dempsey (bass), and Stephen Creese (drums) had the elegant attire and fashionable haircuts of New Romantic bands, their music was more understated and folksy than the synthesized Euro disco of Japan, Visage, and Duran Duran. The Lotus Eaters formed in 1982. Coyle was originally a member of the Jass Babies while Kelly played guitar for the Wild Swans with ex-Teardrop Explodes keyboardist Paul Simpson. Coyle and Kelly wanted to work together, but the Jass Babies had no need for a guitarist. Consequently, they began recording as the Lotus Eaters and were signed to Arista Records. In 1983, the Lotus Eaters released their first single, "The First Picture of You," a chart hit in the U.K. "The First Picture of You" would define the group's sound: Coyle's breathy croon expressing romantic yearning while Kelly plays jangly riffs on his guitar. The Lotus Eaters' 1984 debut album, No Sense of Sin, was awash in '60s influences, namely the melancholic pop of the Zombies and the Left Banke. The LP was largely left on record-store shelves in the U.K., but a significant cult following in the Philippines and Japan eventually transformed the album into a collector's item, fetching high prices on the Internet. In 1985, the Lotus Eaters released one more single, the bitter "It Hurts," before splitting up. Coyle recorded a few solo albums, while Kelly rejoined the Wild Swans. In 1998, The First Picture of You, a compilation of the Lotus Eaters' BBC radio sessions, was released, and the No Sense of Sin album was reissued on CD with bonus tracks. In April 1998, Coyle and Kelly started recording material for a second Lotus Eaters studio album

The songs considered as hits by The Lotus Eaters in the Philippines were First Picture Of You, Set Me Apart, Out On My Own, German Girl and It Hurts.

there was a time when Skid Row, Guns N' Roses, LA Guns, Cinderella, Poison, Twisted Sister and even Bon Jovi and a whole lot more enjoyed a generous amount of airplays in the philippines.

girly looks, decadent lyrics, bittersweet ballads, sex and drugs. but who cares.

i'm pretty sure most of us here, guys specially got a story to tell, or at least at one point been a fan. i still dig their music, though i'm a newwave/heavy metal fan as well.

among my favourites in no particular order

Def Leppard

Bang Tango

LA Guns

Guns n Roses

Motley Crue

Faith No More (are they glam?)

Cinderella

Winger

Slaughter

guys, please complete the list and tell your stories :)

BILLY IDOL

Billy Idol (real name: William Broad) was once part of the punk rock group called Generation X. In 1982, Billy Idol signed up with Chrysalis Records and went solo. Billy Idol had a cult following and controversy also followed him with Christian groups lambasting his videos for violence and sacrilege. But MTV still played his videos. His first few hits never entered the US Top 40 although they went to the US Hot 100 and UK Top 20. His self-titled LP churned out White Wedding and Dancing With Myself.

His 1983 album Rebel Yell initially started the same way as his first album. The title track entered the US Hot 100 and peaked at #53. But the next single Eyes Without A Face zoomed up to the US #4. The song had a "clean" version, editing out the lyrics "Hangin' out by the state line, turnin' holy water into wine and drinkin' it down" for commercial release as a single. Flesh For Fantasy was the next single which reached #32. Blue Highway didn't make US Top 40 but had Duran Duran lead singer Simon Le Bon caught singing Blue Highway backstage at the dressing room during a concert night.

And then, a car crash injured Billy Idol and his eyes were hit by shards of glass which left him in the dark for a long while. But fortunately, he recovered.

Vital Idol was released in 1985, featuring remixes of past hits and included Billy Idol's remake of Mony Mony that brought him more fame as the single went straight to #1 in 1986.

In late 1986, Billy Idol was fully recovered from his injuries and released Whiplash Smile. It came up with another US Top 10 hit To Be A Lover by 1987. The next singles, Don't Need A Gun and Sweet Sixteen were minor hits. Whiplash Smile was not as commercially successful as previous Idol albums.

No more albums came out of Billy Idol after that, although he did the theme song of the movie Speed in 1993 which bombed. His appearance in The Wedding Singer brought back some nostalgia among today's thirty-somethings

post-23387-1124770810.jpg

Edited by hitman531ph

QUIET RIOT

Their first album, released in 1984, METAL HEALTH, churned out a remake of an old Slade song CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE which went up to the US #5 spot. Another single which appeared on the movie Footloose (but only included in the soundtrack CD only recently) was METAL HEALTH (BANG YOUR HEAD) which went to #31.

Their second album, released in 1985, CONDITION CRITICAL was basically a bomb. It produced only 1 minor hit MAMA WEER ALL CRAZY NOW.

Their third album released in 1987, titled QR III totally crashed and burned.

post-23387-1123633878.jpg

Edited by hitman531ph

PAUL HARDCASTLE couldn't be considered as a one hit wonder. The artist-producer shifted to jazz fusion in the 90s and is respected in the jazz world.

But before he shifted to jazz, Paul Hardcastle released his one and only US Top 20 and UK #1 hit called "19" in 1985. The song lamented the Vietnam War by samples of soundbits of a documentary narration. Awareness of the evils of war were heightened by this song which featured the lines "In World War II, the average of the combat soldier was 26. In Vietnam, it was 19."

The samples also included the effects of war such as post-traumatic stress disorder.

BILLY JOEL

This rocker began his music career in 1973 with a few minor hits. In 1978, he became famous with his Grammy-winning song Just The Way You Are. But Billy Joel was only warming up.

Most of his hits were in the 1980s. We saw him get married to supermodel Uptown Girl Christie Brinkley and Billy Joel was the envy of guys around the world...and the 80s also saw Christie Brinkley divorce Billy Joel...

Well, here are Billy Joel's long list of hits in the 80s:

1980:

Glass Houses album:

You May Be Right, It's Still Rock N Roll To Me, Sometimes A Fantasy, Don't Ask Me Why, Sleeping With the Television On

1982:

The Nylon Curtain album:

Pressure, Goodnight Saigon

1983:

An Innocent Man album:

Tell Her About It, Uptown Girl, An Innocent Man, Leave A Tender Moment Alone, Keeping the Faith, The Longest Time

1985:

Billy Joel Greatest Hits Vol. 1 & 2 album:

Past hits compilation plus a previously unreleased single You're Only Human (Second Wind)

Billy Joel was included in USA for Africa, the 1985 song fundraiser We Are The World

1986:

The Bridge album:

Running On Ice, A Matter of Trust, This Is The Time, Baby Grand (duet with Ray Charles)

Rocky marriage and divorce disrupts Billy Joel's music career for a while

1989:

Storm Front album:

We Didn't Start the Fire, I Go To Extremes

A total of 20 hits for Billy Joel in the 80s

post-23387-1124770318.jpg

Edited by hitman531ph

ONE HIT WONDER:

Billy Vera and the Beaters was a band that lived in oblivion until it scored a big #1 hit in 1986 with At This Moment. The song was previously released and the 1986 version was a live small gig recording with added ad libs. The band never came back to the charts and returned to oblivion.

Young MC

This rapper is the very first rap artist to win Best Rap Performance Grammy Award in 1989, the year when such an award was created.

His rap song Bust A Move is considered an old school rap classic to this day.

"She's dressed in yellow, she says hello, come sit next to me, you fine fellow, so you run over there without a second to lose and what comes next hey, bust a move"

Songs which were or contained foreign language lyrics (meaning, not in English or Filipino) in the 1980s were:

DER KOMMISAR: Falco (German)

DER KOMMISAR: (remake) After The Fire (German)

99 LUFTBALLONS: Nena (German)

MR. ROBOTO: Styx (Japanese)

LIBERTE: Gilbert Montagne (French)

LES SUNLIGHTS DES TROPIQUE: Gilbert Montagne (French)

MODEL - Kraftwerk (German)

MADNESS:

This band basically had only UK hits in most of its existence except twice in 1983. Madness was already known for Baggy Trousers which was adapted into a Colgate commercial. Their 1982 album, Rise and Fall, released a single called Our House which went to #8 in the US and Top 5 in UK. A single It Must Be Love peaked at #34 in the US but went Top 10 in the UK. Madness released another album which churned out UK hits Michael Caine and Uncle Sam

By 1987, Madness disappeared from the UK charts and never to return

MODERN ENGLISH

Strangely enough, this new wave icon of a band never entered the US Top 40. Their videos were given airplay on MTV but that wasn't enough. However, the band was a success at the UK charts.

The band is well known for their songs I MELT WITH YOU from the After the Snow album in 1982. 1984 saw the release of Ricochet Days and the band churned out HANDS ACROSS THE SEA and BLUE WAVES.

1985 saw the release of Stop Start and the band had a hit into 1986 called INK AND PAPER.

hmmm..

irishgirl, I don't have any memory of such a song in the 80s...

Meanwhile, The Wallflowers is a band that formed in 1990 and had its first release in 1992 and hit it big in 1996. Therefore, The Wallflowers is not a band that had hits in the 80s

Perhaps the artist name is wrong and also, i can't find any title that matches your query in the title either...

Edited by hitman531ph

Forming in 1980, this duo would become one the early influences in the Synthpop movement. Attending the University at Bath, Rob Fisher met Pete Byrne and the two shared an affinity for music. They wrote prolifically, recorded demos and secured a publishing deal shortly after. Unlike their Synthpop contemporaries, whose sound was often very detached and cold, Naked Eyes had a warmth and sophistication to their sound. Their debut release Naked Eyes (self-titled in the U.S.) and Burning Bridges (in the U.K.) was released in 1983. Utilizing studio musicians to round out a lush sound, Fisher played over eight electronic keyboards and a grand piano to achieve their sound. Their first single was a majestic, synthesized version of the famous Burt Bacharach/Hal David song "Always Something There To Remind Me." Topping the charts on both sides of the Atlantic, the duo released a second single "Promises Promises," which was also quickly became a hit. A third single "When The Lgiths Go Out" was a minor hit, entering the US Hot 100 but not reaching the Top 40. In 1984, Naked Eyes released their second album "Fuel For The Fire," which didn't have the same success as their debut. Their single "(What) In The Name of Love" barely charted in the Top 40, although full-fledged New Wavers can still remember that song

The band broke up shortly after with Rob Fisher reappearing as one half of the pop duo Climie Fisher which had one US & UK hit "Love Changes Everything" in 1988.

Rob Fisher passed away on August 25, 1999, from complications following stomach surgery

THE ALPHABETICAL LIST OF ONE-HIT WONDERS OF THE 80s (A-B)

Abbott, Gregory

"Shake You Down"

After the Fire

"Der Kommissar"

Aldo Nova

"Fantasy"

Al B. Sure!

"Nite and Day"

Astley, Jon

"Jane's Getting Serious"

Bardeaux

"When We Kiss"

Baltimora

"Tarzan Boy"

Belle Stars

"Iko Iko"

Bonham

"Wait For You"

Boomtown Rats

"I Don't Like Mondays"

Bourgeois Tagg

"I Don't Mind At All"

Bow Wow Wow

"I Want Candy"

Boys Don't Cry

"I Wanna be a Cowboy"

Buckner and Garcia

"Pac-Man Fever"

Burnette, Rocky

"Tired of Toein' the Line"

Bus Boys

"The Boys are Back in Town"

THE ALPHABETICAL LIST OF ONE-HIT WONDERS OF THE 1980s (C-G)

Charlene

"I've Never Been to Me"

Christopher, Gavin

"One Step Closer to You"

Climie Fisher

"Love Changes (Everything)"

Club Nouveau

"Lean on Me"

Company B

"Fascinated"

Damian, Michael

"Rock On"

David & David

"Welcome to the Boomtown"

Davis, Jimmy & Junction

"Kick the Wall"

Dexy's Midnight Runners

"Come on Eileen"

Diesel

"Sausalito Summernight"

Doctor & the Medics

"Spirit in the Sky"

Dore, Charlie

"Pilot of the Airwaves"

Double

"The Captain of Her Heart"

Elmo & Patsy

"Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer"

Georgia Satellites

"Keep Your Hands to Yourself"

Giuffria

"Call to the Heart"

Godfathers

"Birth, School, Work, Death"

Gorky Park

"Bang"

GTR

"When the Heart Rules the Mind"

MADNESS:

This band basically had only UK hits in most of its existence except twice in 1983.  Madness was already known for Baggy Trousers which was adapted into a Colgate commercial.  Their 1982 album, Rise and Fall, released a single called Our House which went to #8 in the US and Top 5 in UK.  A single It Must Be Love peaked at #34 in the US but went Top 10 in the UK.  Madness released another album which churned out UK hits Michael Caine and Uncle Sam

By 1987, Madness disappeared from the UK charts and never to return

lolz... oi meron ako nito old school ska yeah!!!! ganda ganda ganda... hanggang ngaun fave ko to... fave ko since bata pako 10 cguro ako non lolz....

THE ALPHABETICAL LIST OF ONE-HIT WONDERS IN THE 1980s (H-L)

Haircut 100

"Love Plus One"

Hammer, Jan

Miami Vice Theme

Hardcastle, Paul

"19"

Higgins, Bertie

"Key Largo"

Hipsway

"The Honeythief"

Hooked On Classics

"Royal Philharmonic Orchestra"

Icicle Works

"Whisper to a Scream (Birds Fly)"

Johnson, Don

"Heartbeat"

Jones, Oran "Juice"

"The Rain"

Jump in the Saddle Band

"Curly Shuffle"

Kane Gang

"Motortown"

Kershaw, Nik

"Wouldn't It Be Good"

Kingdom Come

"Get It On"

Kings,

The Beat Goes On / Switchin' To Glide

Kix

"Don't Close Your Eyes"

Kon Kan

"I Beg Your Pardon"

Korgis

"Everybody's Got to Learn Sometime"

L. A. Guns

"The Ballad of Jayne"

Laid Back

"White Horse"

Levert

"Cassanova"

Lipps, Inc.

"Funkytown"

L'Trimm

"Cars with the Boom"

Mardones, Benny

"Into the Night"

Mary Jane Girls

"In My House"

M/A/R/R/S

"Pump up the Volume"

McFerrin , Bobby

"Don't Worry, Be Happy"

Moving Pictures

"What About Me"

Musical Youth

"Pass the Dutchie"

Myles, Allanah

"Black Velvet"

Nena

"99 Luftballoons" ("99 Red Balloons")

Nu Shooz

"I Can't Wait"

Numan, Gary

"Cars"

Ollie & Jerry

"Breakin... There's No Stopping Us"

Opus

"Live is Life"

Oxo

"Whirly Girl"

Poindexter, Buster

"Hot, Hot, Hot"

1988?

Pretty Poison

"Catch Me (I'm Falling)"

Re-Flex

"The Politics of Dancing"

Red Rider

"Lunatic Fringe"

Rockwell

"Somebody's Watching Me"

Rossington-Collins Band

"Don't Misunderstand Me"

Saga

"On the Loose"

Scarbury, Joey

"Believe It or Not"

Scarlet & Black

"You Don't Know"

Schilling, Peter

"Major Tom (Coming Home)"

Shannon

"Let the Music Play"

Sheriff

"When I'm With You"

Sly Fox

"Let's Go All the Way"

Stacey Q

"Two of Hearts"

Stallone, Frank

"Far From Over"

Steinman, Jim

"Rock and Roll Dreams Come Through"

Sugar Hill Gang

"Rapper's Delight"

Swayze, Patrick

"She's Like the Wind"

Swing Out Sister

"Breakout"

Taco

"Puttin' on the Ritz"

Til Tuesday

"Voices Carry"

Timbuk 3

"The Future's So Bright, I Gotta Wear Shades"

Timex Social Club

"Rumors"

Tommy Tutone

"867-5309/Jenny"

T'Pau

"Heart and Soul"

Tripping Daisy

"I Got a Girl"

Ullman, Tracey

"They Don't Know"

Vapors

"Turning Japanese"

Wagner, Jack

"All I Need"

Waitresses

"I Know What Boys Like"

Wall of Voodoo

"Mexican Radio"

When in Rome

"The Promise"

Wilder, Matthew

"Break My Stride"

Young MC

"Bust a Move"

hmmm..

irishgirl, I don't have any memory of such a song in the 80s...

Meanwhile, The Wallflowers is a band that formed in 1990 and had its first release in 1992 and hit it big in 1996.  Therefore, The Wallflowers is not a band that had hits in the 80s

Perhaps the artist name is wrong and also, i can't find any title that matches your query in the title either...

lolz... their record label or manager was the same as the smiths and uhhmmm before they can release their album the label or manager had some trouble or something... not the wallflowers (dylan) ... they was an earlier UK group called the wallflowers... blushing girl nervous smile was the single they had released... can u check on the song title, maybe u can find it by that ... i heard NU play this one a long time ago....

Guest Dobermaxx

FINALLY!!!! Its about time someone started a glam rock/hair metal thread.

I grew up on this stuff in the late eighties and early 90's. Some of the stuff I still have is

Poison

Motley Crue

Def Leppard

Cinderella

Thunder

Dokken

Great White

Extreme

Guns n Roses

LA Guns

Tyketto

Lion

Steelheart

and so much more. My MP3 player is crammed with the stuff and these days a lot of it is hard to find. I even remember buying mags like Circus, Metal Edge etc... boy...those were the days. Now if i could only forget the mullet i had :P