Dsl Or Cable Broadband?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

i have zipdee connection at home, my neighbor has bayantel, sa ofis nagkabit kami ng globe and another friend uses smart bro... comparatively speaking preferred ko pa din yung zipdee... less downtime mas consistent and speed... i also remember nung nagkaproblem sa taiwan nung earthquake na nagdown halos lahat ng internet... i was among the first dito sa amin to have it back on and resume to normal speed... ung friend ko na using smart bro got his signal normalized about 1 1/2 months after mine pa...

Hi,

I'm looking at upgrading my internet connection at home from dialup to any of the broadband services available in the market. So far, I've narrowed my choice down to two: mydestiny's cable broadband and PLDT's myDSL.

Please let me know what you think of the two services: which is better, how's the customer service, how reliable is the connection, etc. Your feedback is appreciated.

I've tried Mydestiny Cable Broadband in 2000, so i'm not sure if what i'm about to say still applies. Cable internet SUCKS!!!! BIG TIME!!!! PLDT's myDSL also sucks pero not as much as MyDestiny.

As far as I know cable internet is what is referred to as a shared bandwidth internetnet, meaning, kung marami kayong gumagamit bumabagal, compare it to the road that we have. The more cars the heavier the traffic, plus the same signal that your TV receives uses the same bandwidth as your data signal. Another is security. If you're not a security conscious individual, you are very prone to attack. Sometimes unintentional pa yung attack. It's hard to believe pero cable internet is like a huge LAN, with the proper software and configuration, you'll be able to see the computers that are using the Cable Internet provider. I've seen a lot of testimony from tech forums back in 2000 when I was contemplating an upgrade to Cable Internet saying this is a possibility. It scared the hell out of me!!!

With regards to myDSL, they suck for the simple reason that there are too many users but the bandwidth is not increasing, parang road din natin, parami ng parami ang sasakyan di naman nada-dagdagan ang kalye. Yun lang ang sa PLDT. Other than that, if you have no other choice on this go with PLDT na lang..

Pero if you can get Globe Innove, this is the one for you. In fact ito ang gamit ko.. I'm a subscriber, 384Mbps lang. Pero when I measure my speed online, via http://www.dslreports.com , minsan yung speed nagta-top at 1.5Mbps. Down stream lang yun at ang upstream ko 250 something naman.. Sulit 'di ba... during off peak yan syempre. Ang sustainable speed ko during peak hours is 350Mbps down, 110Mbsp up (rounded off na, di ko maaala yung exact e). Di ko sure kung ang advantage ko eh malapit ako sa Globe Telecom tower dito sa Mandaluyong o talagang alaga lang nila yung network nila.

Hope this helps bro :thumbsupsmiley:

• 1 month later...

When selecting the right type of broadband internet for you be it cable or dsl three of the most important factors is location, location, location. The nearer you are to the provider ie telco, base station, cable co the better your connection will be. Ive tried pldt, smartbro and now im with globe. PLDT failed for me because as unlucky as I was my house was at the border of the local service area in short ako yung nasa dulo ng stick thats why most PLDT dsl users here in our subdivision complain of super slow speeds. Nung nagsmartbro naman ako, this was way back nung hindi pa nabili ng smartbro yung wireless company nakalimutan ko na yung name ok pa sila. Nung kinuha na ng smartbro bilang ko na lang yung oras na up ako. Mostly limited or no connectivity na kaya yung putol putol. Then came globe may kasama pang phone. Download speeds are great minsan nga lang may mga oras na palpak but these are weeks in between. Nagkataon lang na saksakan ng dami ng base station ng globe dito sa amin thats why it worked. Anyway try finding out kung ano ang malapit sa inyo and base your decisions from there.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

meron na kayang mydestiny cable internet dito sa sapaloc area..???? marami na kayang subscribers dito..??? Im planning to switch to cable connection with 5Mbps or greater that that.. I have PLDT Dsl but the service is not that good and the connection often disconnects..

Technicaly mas mabilis and cable compared to DSL, pero marami factors to consider when choosing. Here are some tips to help you choose between DSL and Cable:

- You need to know if these particular types of connections are available in the area you are living. Cable modems use the cable connection where as DSL uses an existing telephone line. In some area, especially rural ones, there are no telephone lines.

- Find out what kind of speed you are getting with each kind of connection. Cable modem Internet service is faster but this depends on the number of people who have subscribed for it in that area and how many are using it at that time. The speed can and will fluctuate. DSL doesn’t have any such problem. Each DSL modem user gets their own line. So that improves the connection and speed of the Internet.

- Consider the quality of service before getting any kind of broadband connection. DSL modem connection quality depends on the distance between you and the remote terminal. The closer you are the better service you will get and the further you are the quality will decrease. And where the cable modem quality is concerned, it depends on the number of users actively using the service. If there are too many users in one area, the quality is going to be poor.

- Take into consideration of the price of each service. Prices aren’t going to vary too much because of competition in the market but DSL is a little more expensive than Cable modem broadband.

Check the customer service of the company whether cable or DSL. Only if the customer service is satisfactory should you choose a company whether DSL or cable.

- And last but not the least, check the data security features of each.

tama sabi nung nauna,,,it really depends on the location talaga,,,pldt might be fast in location A, but might have poor connection on location B....need talaga to survey out muna..kung hindi marunong, its best to ask a person who knows such things..Cash wise na kasi tayo dapat

DSL is faster than Cable (at least in the Philippines).

Yes, DSL's sped is affected by conditions of line, pero you should also consider who the service providers are. Last mile technology kasi pareho yan, to get to the internet you should consider their back haul. DSL service providers incude all the giant telco's (PLDT, GLobe, etc). For me, nothing beats PLDT. Pangit lang ng customer service.

Cable broadband is affected by the conditions of the coaxial plant. To run cable broadband kasi, cable networks should enable the return path (or two-way) and this creates a lot of problems. Noise ang pinakamalaking contributor (all types from 5MHz to 42 MHz). Shared bandwidth din sya. Skycable/Destiny ok, pero hindi internet talaga line of business nila.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Guy and Gals,

always put in your mind that the ADSL technology is a shared connection even via cable connection...normally what telecommunications or ISP's do is an overbooking set up of their subscriber which you always experienced the slow connection and congestion, the reality about this technology even if you get a 2mbps you are not getting the 100% of that speed, normally you only get 25% (your lucky if you get 25%) or less in reality...thats is why they have this kind of marketing strategy: 64kbps up to / burstable to 2Mbps meaning of this you are not guarantee for a 2Mbps you can even go as low as 64Kbps since this is a shared connection...if you really want a quality connection prepare to pay a quality money also...subscribe for a Leased Line, IGATE, Dedicated Internet you called this as SDSL...

Bottomline...be contented in ADSL because thats what fits on our budget, if you are just using it in the house for browsing, emailing and simple application purposes...