Authentic Vs Replicas

HunkDavao

I have been taking the rounds lately on For Sale forums (sulit,ayosdito, tipidsale...) and I was looking for some branded watches. I noticed a lot of sellers for High End Replicas.

IMHO, the reason we buy the brand is because of the 'brand' and if I am going to get a replica, I'd rather get a lower end brand but still authentic.

What's your take on this? Why is there such a high-demand for Replicas? Does it really matter if it's authentic or not?

When you are wearing a replica and disguise it as authentic, do you feel proud? Have you been caught wearing a replica (dyapeks) ? how did it feel?

I say fake watches are for fake people. Go original, or at the very least if you want something that looks like, say a Rolex or a Panerai, you can go the homage route. There are watches respected for their movements and build quality at every price point. Look at Seiko and Orient for the lower price point, moving up to Hamilton and Tissot, etc. I'm sure there are other watch enthusiasts or "WIS" members here :)

I have been taking the rounds lately on For Sale forums (sulit,ayosdito, tipidsale...) and I was looking for some branded watches. I noticed a lot of sellers for High End Replicas.

IMHO, the reason we buy the brand is because of the 'brand' and if I am going to get a replica, I'd rather get a lower end brand but still authentic.

What's your take on this? Why is there such a high-demand for Replicas? Does it really matter if it's authentic or not?

When you are wearing a replica and disguise it as authentic, do you feel proud? Have you been caught wearing a replica (dyapeks) ? how did it feel?

May i give you advice?

I have seen high end replicas that cost more that 20K to 30k and are sometimes used to fool people when they sell these pieces. Some unscrupulous people manage to get a box and a certificate and fool a discerning collector.

Replicas are getting better and better each year. Watch makers have to constantly upgrade on laser printing, hidden signs, master craftsmanship and electronic verification and transfer of ownerships. For me high replicas are good for the business as it constantly challenges watch makers to sell the create the best. Its like the arms race. Bullet VS Armour

As a watch collector, I would easily notice your watch a mile away. It depends on how the person will react to your High End Replika which is a FAKE by the way.

If you are your own person and you don't care less, then fine. To each his own. BUT if you are sensitive and wearing a FAKE makes you proud and brag that you can afford and wear a supposed 600k Rolex while you are commuting or walking in place which puts you in harms place. Then there must be something wrong.

I collect watches for investment and heritage purposes and I was brought up a collecting family. We collect things. and watches are made to be collected. I would rather dress quite simply but i feel my watch has to fit my mood and that completes my day. Some would have the same disposition as there shoes or sneakers. or for women their bags and sun glasses.

I own a nice G shock which i wear when i am in the beach even if i have a DSSD. I even have a nice SEIKO 5 21 jewels, which will cost you less than PhP 4K and i believe is the same as the Kinetic line of SEIKO.

Hamilton is a nice American made watch while SEIKO is a Japanese.

If you really feel you need to be JAPORMS without wearing DYAPEKS. You might want to consider HOMAGE watches.

These watches don't bear the same brand name as the ROLEX but would look the same way as a ROLEX. I understand that there are more variants like IWC, PAM, and U BOAT among others.

They go by the name of PARNIS or GETAT or MARINA MILITARY. Among watch collectors forums have accepted some of these truants but never replicas....

Hope this helps!

Enjoy!!!!

It depends... how much are the replicas?

The way I see it, I'd go for a replica if I like the style of the watch, but can't afford the original. Yeah, it's pretty much the homage route, but sometimes you just want the look to be as close to the real thing as possible.

While getting a cheaper watch is an option, the question remains, do you LIKE how the cheaper watch looks like?

One of the funny things about replicas is that if the movement isn't in-house, and the replica can get the same movement (like say,an ETA), then you've got yourself something pretty close to the real thing. Yeah, it's not the same craftsmanship, but I think I can buy 30 of the replica watches at still a fraction of the cost of a genuine.

All this hinges of course on a cheap replica. There's no sense buying an expensive one.

It depends... how much are the replicas?

The way I see it, I'd go for a replica if I like the style of the watch, but can't afford the original. Yeah, it's pretty much the homage route, but sometimes you just want the look to be as close to the real thing as possible.

While getting a cheaper watch is an option, the question remains, do you LIKE how the cheaper watch looks like?

One of the funny things about replicas is that if the movement isn't in-house, and the replica can get the same movement (like say,an ETA), then you've got yourself something pretty close to the real thing. Yeah, it's not the same craftsmanship, but I think I can buy 30 of the replica watches at still a fraction of the cost of a genuine.

All this hinges of course on a cheap replica. There's no sense buying an expensive one.

Just a reaction to getting a replica and saying it get's pretty close to the real thing...you are completely wrong. It's like saying putting a ferrari like engine will function as an original ferrari -

ETA is another thing and has nothing to do with any replica that i know since all of them are made in China, ETA is a highly evolved and almost monopolized industry.

I am also not sure about what you are trying to say about in house movement versus other movements.

Will you feel good wearing and collecting 30 fake Rolex, AP's and IWC's watches? even if it is a fraction of the genuine? What if the person gets asked if what he wears is real or FAKE?

How do you think should he say and how should he react?

Just buy a nice original and tested watch brands. Like Seiko, Casio, Orient, TIMEX, People who collect watches admire.

All are below 7k.

1) Seiko 5 - your choice (Hugely popular SNK809, for example)

2) Orient - Mako? your choice

3) Sub or Exlo II homage: Bagelsport / Alpha / MQJ (your choice)

4) Seiko Orange Monster

5) HMT- Pilot, Janata, your choice

6) Parnis or Sea-Gull - your choice. (I picked the M182SK skeleton)

7) Vostok - Amphibian?, your choice

8) Vintage mechanical wind-up? Hamilton?

9) Casio - analog. G-Shock? (minimum "out in public" watch, for the gym, etc.)

10) Casio - digital (work in the yard) So cheap, yet so good, you gotta have two!

These are fantastic watches....

No need to wear FAKES or REPLICAS when you an choose from this....

And you will still be called a gentleman with a nice watch

Thanks . I was already sold to the idea of buying this brand which costs around 60k but upon seeing a lot of replicas, even with boxes and certificates, I am now thinking twice. Plus I read comments from GQ (this article writer called snob? ) that if he would recommend anything, it would be Patek Philippe . Brands like Rolex and Tag are nothing if he were to be asked. Imagine, even a Rolex is not at par.

Methinks, I'll just go for a G-Shock then or a Wenger . roughly around 10k would be enough. A Seiko is nice (some models cost 80k) but it's too ubiquitous.

Just a reaction to getting a replica and saying it get's pretty close to the real thing...you are completely wrong. It's like saying putting a ferrari like engine will function as an original ferrari - ETA is another thing and has nothing to do with any replica that i know since all of them are made in China, ETA is a highly evolved and almost monopolized industry. I am also not sure about what you are trying to say about in house movement versus other movements.Will you feel good wearing and collecting 30 fake Rolex, AP's and IWC's watches? even if it is a fraction of the genuine? What if the person gets asked if what he wears is real or FAKE?How do you think should he say and how should he react? Just buy a nice original and tested watch brands. Like Seiko, Casio, Orient, TIMEX, People who collect watches admire. All are below 7k.1) Seiko 5 - your choice (Hugely popular SNK809, for example)2) Orient - Mako? your choice3) Sub or Exlo II homage: Bagelsport / Alpha / MQJ (your choice) 4) Seiko Orange Monster5) HMT- Pilot, Janata, your choice6) Parnis or Sea-Gull - your choice. (I picked the M182SK skeleton)7) Vostok - Amphibian?, your choice8) Vintage mechanical wind-up? Hamilton?9) Casio - analog. G-Shock? (minimum "out in public" watch, for the gym, etc.) 10) Casio - digital (work in the yard) So cheap, yet so good, you gotta have two!These are fantastic watches....No need to wear FAKES or REPLICAS when you an choose from this....And you will still be called a gentleman with a nice watch

Wrong analogy. A car is made of many parts, not just the engine. Whereas watch movement comprises just about 99% of the mechanics of a watch. Like I said, it won't be the same craftsmanship for the case, but functionally equivalent. A better analogy is if you use use a Ferrari engine, transmission, etc. but the body of a Toyota, you still technically have functionally a Ferrari.

You can still get ETAs easily for the meantime, mind you, until their decision to stop making it for others is fully felt by the industry. It's easier to get that than an in-house movement, obviously.

Oh, did you mean the China knockoffs? Good gracious... I was referring to custom replicas.

Frankly, if a person buys a replica and will be embarrassed when caught with it, then that person shouldn't really be buying in the first place. I qualified that the only reason I'd get one is if I like the design but can't keep up with the price. Buying a watch so that others will marvel at it is silly. Shouldn't what matter is what you feel about the watch? Otherwise, you'll get caught up with what watch snobs do... wearing the brand and not the watch.

Thanks . I was already sold to the idea of buying this brand which costs around 60k but upon seeing a lot of replicas, even with boxes and certificates, I am now thinking twice. Plus I read comments from GQ (this article writer called snob? ) that if he would recommend anything, it would be Patek Philippe . Brands like Rolex and Tag are nothing if he were to be asked. Imagine, even a Rolex is not at par. Methinks, I'll just go for a G-Shock then or a Wenger . roughly around 10k would be enough. A Seiko is nice (some models cost 80k) but it's too ubiquitous.

Well, Patek is high up there in standards. But really... go with what makes you feel good. That's how I pick watches myself. Don't go trying to impress a watch snob (that's the term, actually).

There was a time I liked a watch too, but the cost was prohibitive, so I went and got a cheaper brand/model that was close enough to it. But had I been unable to find one I liked, I'd have probably gotten a replica. Caveat of course is if someone outs it as fake, you'll just have to take it in stride. Then again, as I said, I wear the watch because I like how it looks, and not because I can brag I'm wearing a Rolex or something.

60k? That's not so bad. If you get a replica of that, people wouldn't really mind as much, as compared to if you were wearing a Rolex/Omega replica. Of course, you'll have to remember that you have no right to be offended if it's caught as a fake :) Think of watches as jewelry... In fact, that's pretty much what it is, especially considering quartz watches and mobile phones. You have better timekeeping instruments available, so why get an expensive watch that's not even accurate by today's standards? (cheaper non quartz watches are typically 2-10 seconds fast/slow per day, depending on the movement. You can be lucky with 0~2, but that's usually with the really high grade *cough* expensive movements) It's really about how you like wearing the watch. If you like it, then that's all that matters, right?

Edited by swynd