Need your advice advertising dudes/chicks....

I've been trying to break into this industry for a long time now, i've been stuck in a job i don't really care about for such a long time, but i feel advertising is where i want to be.  I graduated with a degree from such an unrelated subject (human resources), and i'm thinking that maybe this is what is holding me back.

Any tips for me on how to break into the wild and wooly world of advertising?  Kahit accounts lang, pano ko kayo pasukin yon?  Kahit below the line, kahit ano....

salamat

:mtc:

I was from the advertising field before I moved to the academe. As some members here have posted, advertising is a dog-eat-dog world and a hellhole filled with people with talangka mentality. You have to have guts, the right personality, the creative talent and sometimes good looks to be able to succeed in this field.

Having guts mean selling yourself the way you haven't sold yourself before and being bought over the other graduates who have sold themselves as well. Practice selling yourself in front of the mirror. Have a good friend to criticize how well or bad you are in doing it.

The right personality involves charm, fluency in English and the abillity to communicate and hold an audience that won't doze off in front of you. Be aware though that this so-called right personality can balloon into a "monster personality" when you find yourself stealing other people's ideas and passing off these ideas as yours.

Creative talent means more than a good grasp of the English grammar. Wit, humor, originality, awareness of social, economic and political issues plus a lateral sense of thinking can help catapult your career.

These are all general comments for now. Let me get in a mood for some specifics next time.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was from the advertising field before I moved to the academe.  As some members here have posted, advertising is a dog-eat-dog world and a hellhole filled with people with talangka mentality.  You have to have guts, the right personality, the creative talent and sometimes good looks to be able to succeed in this field.

Having guts mean selling yourself the way you haven't sold yourself before and being bought over the other graduates who have sold themselves as well. Practice selling yourself in front of the mirror.  Have a good friend to criticize how well or bad you are in doing it.

Sheeesh!

So that's why I've become vain ever since I got into the business more than 10 years ago.

The right personality involves charm, fluency in English and the abillity to communicate and hold an audience that won't doze off in front of you.  Be aware though that this so-called right personality can balloon into a "monster personality" when you find yourself stealing other people's ideas and passing off these ideas as yours.

I almost killed someone for stealing my idea. If you remember that shampoo/conditioner commercial tagline "The shortest distnace between two points is a line."

I'm an engineering student. I hear that line almost EVERY FREAKING DAY of my college life. After college, I joined (more like co-founded) a comicbook creator's group, and in one of the meeting, I mentioned the concept, and the tagline. A few months later, the commercial was on air.

That's why I NEVER wanted to be an advertising monster. (I went freelnace and stayed with direct-marketing and below the line where there is less politics, no dog eating my pants, and no one stealing my ideas).

Creative talent means more than a good grasp of the English grammar.  Wit, humor, originality, awareness of social, economic and political issues plus a lateral sense of thinking can help catapult your career. 

These are all general comments for now.  Let me get in a mood for some specifics next time.

Ah, as you may well know MuffMeister, I have those, but as I mentioned, I value my own ideas too much to the point of lethargy.
Sheeesh!

So that's why I've become vain ever since I got into the business more than 10 years ago.

X, remember that song by ABC? *sings "Vanity kills/It don't (sic) pay bills/Vanity kills.* Ahihihi. :P

I almost killed someone for stealing my idea.  If you remember that shampoo/conditioner commercial tagline "The shortest distance between two points is a line."

I'm an engineering student.  I hear that line almost EVERY FREAKING DAY of my college life.  After college, I joined (more like co-founded) a comicbook creator's group, and in one of the meeting, I mentioned the concept, and the tagline.  A few months later, the commercial was on air.

Here's hoping he's not someone I know from Alamat group. :grr: I should've been there to help you hunt down that intellectual robber (read: plagiarist) by tickling to him to death if he couldn't come up with his version of even the most simple but original alliteration. Hmm ... that idea-stealer would be more at home in the fake diploma mills of Recto. :evil:

That's why I NEVER wanted to be an advertising monster.  (I went freelance and stayed with direct-marketing and below the line where there is less politics, no dog eating my pants, and no one stealing my ideas).

And that's why I went to the academe. To teach and hopefully prevent future advertising guys and gals not to be "advertising monsters."

I had a stint at another agency (involved in direct marketing as well) but I couldn't convince myself to like and believe in any of the saleskits and print ads (now known as junk mail/spam) that I was creating. I also wanted to keep my morals ... or what's left of it to keep. Ahihihi. :D

Ah, as you may well know MuffMeister, I have those, but as I mentioned, I value my own ideas too much to the point of lethargy.

Naaah. You'll never be lethargic. I'll always be here kick you to jumpstart you. Ahihihi. :D

I for one am one of those that got burned out by advertising. I'm not trying to scare anyone who wants to get into the industry. In fact, I want to give hope and fan the flames.

I graduated with a degree in literature. No advertising units. No advertising background. But I also felt that I belonged in advertising. I tried everywhere then finally managed to break in with a small agency...as an accounts person, even if I wanted to be in creatives. Earned my stripes there. Learned the tricks of the trade. Then transferred to Lintas (now Lowe Worldwide). After some time in accounts there, someone saw some potential in me and made me a creative. After a few years, I got burned out.

So I left advertising. Went out and tried freelancing and even managed a stint as a Dj for a top FM station.

Then I realized I missed advertising. Now I'm back. And I'm currently at work...have been in the office for the past 30 hours.

Still want to be in advertising? :thumbsupsmiley:

• 1 month later...

hi... can anybody help me? am graduatin this april. and im into advertising course. im thinking of makin myself ready after resting for like 2 weeks. i dont want to stay at home for a long time because i always felt loosing my active brain cells.

can anybody help me in looking for some advertising agencies to submit my application?

agency address? phone numbers?

or if anybody here in the advertising field needed fresh graduates like me?

my training deals with tons of accounts, ad campaigns and IMC's...

as of now,,, we have the smart buddy as our client for the whole semester.

hope theres someone here whos willing to help... :(

my email is ixi_jing_ixi@yahoo.com

thank you very much guys... :)

• 2 weeks later...

I've been trying to break into this industry for a long time now, i've been stuck in a job i don't really care about for such a long time, but i feel advertising is where i want to be.  I graduated with a degree from such an unrelated subject (human resources), and i'm thinking that maybe this is what is holding me back.

Any tips for me on how to break into the wild and wooly world of advertising?  Kahit accounts lang, pano ko kayo pasukin yon?  Kahit below the line, kahit ano....

salamat

dude...why do you want to get into advertising? second, do you have what it takes? i know lots of people who have crashed and burned in this biz, but there are those who truly have what it takes. its no walk in the park. i myself couldnt cut it, so i went freelance and started my own company and got a team of cut throats to do the deed.

so if you think you got it pm me

ps: visit my company's website www.eventstarinc.ws

salamat

It doesnt mean that if its BTL its easier than the ATL - Usually you have a campaign w/c is implimentable in 1 month ans sustainable to a year. To be blunt and candid.. This is not an Easy Job. Its Mentally draining and Even my relationship suffered. Take from me. The Managing director of IMAGINACTIVE CONCEPTS

Question: is the hiring process really slow in agencies? I went for an exam 3 weeks ago. they said they'd update me on the developments. No word yet though.

Yes, it can take very long. That is why you have to apply in as many agencies as you can. Don't depend on just one. When you take one exam, forget about it and move on to the next.

If you were rejected, they will not inform you. You have to take the initiative and politely follow up your application with them once a week.

Expect the worst, and hope for the best. Good luck.

hi... can anybody help me? am graduatin this april. and im into advertising course. im thinking of makin myself ready after resting for like 2 weeks. i dont want to stay at home for a long time because i always felt loosing my active brain cells.

can anybody help me in looking for some advertising agencies to submit my application?

agency address? phone numbers?

or if anybody here in the advertising field needed fresh graduates like me?

my training deals with tons of accounts, ad campaigns and IMC's...

as of now,,, we have the smart buddy as our client for the whole semester.

hope theres someone here whos willing to help... :(

my email is    ixi_jing_ixi@yahoo.com

thank you very much guys... :)

Hi there.

Two traits you will need in the advertising field are SELF-RELIANCE and RESOURCEFULNESS. It's good that you are asking for help, but you shouldn't expect much help from anyone. But here's my P1.01 worth of advice based on what you wrote:

- YOU have to go through the Yellow Pages and get the agencies' addresses and numbers YOURSELF. Practically NO ONE will help you with this. Learn to do things for and by yourself.

- Call each agency you like and get pertinent info, especially the name of their Human Resources person. Address your application to the HRD by name, and not "To whom it may concern."

- Apply in as many agencies as you physically can. You will be lucky if you get hired by 1 out of 25 agencies.

- Try the classified ads, but agencies very rarely place ads there.

- Prepare yourself by reading books on Resume Making and Job Interview Skills. Can't afford the books at National Bookstore? Then go to National and discreetly read any open books there! It's not as if they can stop you. Like I said, "RESOURCEFULNESS".

It's a rough, ROUGH world in advertising. But don't ever allow anyone to discourage you from your dream. If you have to encourage yourself, so be it. Good luck.

yes there may be a lot of pretty ladies and some perks attached to advertising but

the advertising industry isnt as glamourous and prestiguos as you may think it is.

think twice before going in to it. if your still young by all means go for it. youd learn a lot from advertising. and if eventually you feel that its not for you than atleast you are still at the age where you can explore other industries.

i havnt really worked in an agency but ive experienced working with almost all major agencies in manila. believe me its a zoo.

Hi there.

Two traits you will need in the advertising field are SELF-RELIANCE and RESOURCEFULNESS. It's good that you are asking for help, but you shouldn't expect much help from anyone. But here's my P1.01 worth of advice based on what you wrote:

- YOU have to go through the Yellow Pages and get the agencies' addresses and numbers YOURSELF. Practically NO ONE will help you with this. Learn to do things for and by yourself.

- Call each agency you like and get pertinent info, especially the name of their Human Resources person. Address your application to the HRD by name, and not "To whom it may concern."

- Apply in as many agencies as you physically can. You will be lucky if you get hired by 1 out of 25 agencies.

- Try the classified ads, but agencies very rarely place ads there.

- Prepare yourself by reading books on Resume Making and Job Interview Skills. Can't afford the books at National Bookstore? Then go to National and discreetly read any open books there! It's not as if they can stop you. Like I said, "RESOURCEFULNESS".

It's a rough, ROUGH world in advertising. But don't ever allow anyone to discourage you from your dream. If you have to encourage yourself, so be it. Good luck.

Thanks po... i already have a copy of the accredited advertising agencies here in the philippines...

thanks for the advise sir... :)

• 1 year later...

I'm a fresh grad with a degree in I.T. specializing in Digital Arts. With my course, I had plenty of experiences in Film Production. My forte was pre-production and story boarding. Now I'm trying to get into any Advertising company because I am very creative and my creativity will be put to good use if I was to sell a certain product.

So pls, I need help on the following:

1.) Which ad agency should I apply?

2.) What else do I need to do to get in that company?

3.) Do you have any contacts?

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

*knock knock* is this thread still alive?

anyway this is my story...

Mang Joe is a fresh grad of multimedia arts and would like to work in the advertising industry. He has a couple of friends that are presently working in McCann Erickson..

Dilemma...Mang Joe would like to know or learn about the standings of the known ad firms around makati....Mang Joe's sources say that the top dogs are McCann, Ogilvy, and Ace Saatchi & Saatchi...Any feedback from these companies or other companies may it be negative or positive would help so much...

I'm not asking what is the best or anything...I just want to hear feedbacks about these ad firms...Thanks in advace!

• 3 weeks later...

hmmm....advertising....can i advertise? hehehhe

well...ako experience ko undergrad po ako ng fine arts(advertising) de ko na natapos iskuling ko kasi nag work na agad ako animation studios na pagaari ng skul namin dati..

na ngayun wala na...

yung studio na yung parang stepping stone ko lang naman..then after a yr...bago pa lang ang web development sa pinas at maging sa mundo eh...

nakinita ko na ang future ng modern advertising using a new media ang net....kahit nuong time na mga barkada ko eh...nasa ahensya sila...

bah yung technology pa nuon eh mano mano pa...remember ko nung time na nag tawag yung barkada ko ng photoshop artist para duon sa isang motor il ads nila kasi bago lang ang computer gfx lay out. pero ngayun bwenas na mga artist lalo na kung creative minds kayo.

ang time talga na explore ko ng husto yung aking creative skills pag dating sa advertising lay out eh nung time na nag work ako sa isang design studios. we do some event management, avp's, ppt presentations, prints design lay outs,flash presentations, and web design...

lahat yan natira ko na...pero parang kulang pa din..bitin ako kaya ayun resign! balik ako sa webdevelopment ang kaso de din ako tumagal na bored na naman ako! hehhee..

resign ulit! nag freelance ako...at umabot naman isang taon...ok naman ang mga dating mga project for a year at na bored na din akong mag freelance kasi...iba yung may kasama ka magagaling at may matutunan ka bago...kasi ako yung tao na ayoko na ako ang pinakamagaling...kailang may mas magaling sa kin para mas lalo kang mag grow at mas njoy ang work pag may competition..

pero now ang puntirya ko now ang njoy gawin...ang 3d animation...hay naku..sana makagawa ako nyan in the future..

hmmm....advertising....can i advertise? hehehhe

well...ako experience ko undergrad po ako ng fine arts(advertising) de ko na natapos iskuling ko kasi nag work na agad ako animation studios na pagaari ng skul namin dati..

na ngayun wala na...

yung studio na yung parang stepping stone ko lang naman..then after a yr...bago pa lang ang web development sa pinas at maging sa mundo eh...

nakinita ko na ang future ng modern advertising using a new media ang net....kahit nuong time na mga barkada ko eh...nasa ahensya sila...

bah yung technology pa nuon eh mano mano pa...remember ko nung time na nag tawag yung barkada ko ng photoshop artist para duon sa isang motor il ads nila kasi bago lang ang computer gfx lay out. pero ngayun bwenas na mga artist lalo na kung creative minds kayo.

ang time talga na explore ko ng husto yung aking creative skills pag dating sa advertising lay out eh nung time na nag work ako sa isang design studios. we do some event management, avp's, ppt presentations, prints design lay outs,flash presentations, and web design...

lahat yan natira ko na...pero parang kulang pa din..bitin ako kaya ayun resign! balik ako sa webdevelopment ang kaso de din ako tumagal na bored na naman ako! hehhee..

resign ulit! nag freelance ako...at umabot naman isang taon...ok naman ang mga dating mga project for a year at na bored na din akong mag freelance kasi...iba yung may kasama ka magagaling at may matutunan ka bago...kasi ako yung tao na ayoko na ako ang pinakamagaling...kailang may mas magaling sa kin para mas lalo kang mag grow at mas njoy ang work pag may competition..

pero now ang puntirya ko now ang njoy gawin...ang 3d animation...hay naku..sana makagawa ako nyan in the future..

Its not hard to learn 3D anim/modeling....Hindi gaano in-demand ang 3D compared sa mga IT pero the pay is good talaga and the opportunity to grow is boundless lalo na mukhang multimedia artist ka din

hinde in demand and 3d? sure ka ba dyan ... as u can see sa dami nga mahirap na makisabay eh... 3d graphics nga future ng advertising eh..pero para sa kin sympre its just a spice...isang malaking sahod sa ulam ang 3d as eyecandy para sa clients. lalo na sa mga clients na walang "artist eyes".

as u know 3d is hard coz nandyan ang math, physics,artistic eyes,color theory,emotions, personal character as an artist and many more depende sa skills na pede mong ipakita...

print ads are direct representation ng product...depende sa concept na effective..

sa IT ok ang bigayan...pero now sa dami na sulpot na IT pahirapan na din ang pagkuha ng bago client so now depende ka na lang sa mga networks at mga friends para refer ng mga projects eh...

hinde in demand and 3d? sure ka ba dyan ... as u can see sa dami nga mahirap na makisabay eh... 3d graphics nga future ng advertising eh..pero para sa kin sympre its just a spice...isang malaking sahod sa ulam ang 3d as eyecandy para sa clients. lalo na sa mga clients na walang "artist eyes".

i was comparing it to IT...I meant it was less in demand compared to IT related positions

• 4 months later...

my advice for all you advertising people is if you want to be a good account manager (the one who sells commercials to sponsors and advertising agencies) is you have to experience the other side first, have connections..meaning you have to work as a media buyer or media planner then after let's say 3-5 years of experience, apply kayo sa mga companies (like abs - cbn, gma 7, inquirer, and other media entities) para mas succesful kayo on being an account manager..

just my 2 cents...

ako kasi, my dad was a media director before that's why i got into selling airtime pero i never really succeeded, now i own my own business kasi my parents are rich, hehehehhe

pero I still have friends in the advertising industry....I could help you out..

:)

• 6 months later...
  • 10 months later...

hi im looking for a arts/graphics designer or anybody that can put an ideal design for "The Rock" - btw The Rock is a label which i will be using on my sports apparell line. I want something that signifies strength and firmness! Im into MMA but im quiet open to any ideas - you can submit your entry @ andy_fitnessme@yahoo.com or add my ym account and pm me for further details @ bruticus_maximus2000@yahoo.com. I'll be giving away 250 usd for the chosen design. hope you guys can help me. thanx

Guys one more thing! make sure the design is all original! Not patented to any existing company worldwide!