Speaking of kare-kare... paano tanggalin ang amoy ng twalya?

Eto kasi ginawa ko, according to a recipe: Nilinisan ko (w/ a toothbtush) yung twalya, pinakuluan for 5 minutes, tapos palit ng tubig, tapos pinalambot ko na. Pero may konting amoy pa rin e, parang yung mga twalya na ginagamit sa goto. Pero yung mga kare-kare at callos sa restaurants, wala ng trace ng amoy.

Try mo kikisin ng tawas. Nung may lugawan pa ang mga lola ko kahit bituka ng baboy tangal ang amoy pag kiniskis ng tawas.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 years later...

Para sa twalya, after washing and removing loose matters, pinapakulan ko in 5-10 minutes. Then papalamigin para mascrape-off ko yung membrane ng twalya w/ a knife and off for a final wash bago pakuluan ulit para palambutin.

Use lots of ground roasted peanuts. I prefer ung maliit na peanuts. Mas flavorful compared sa imported (china/taiwan?!?).

• 1 month later...

Masarap din yung may peanut butter pero wag yung masyadong matamis.

Sa peanut butter kasi, lumabas na kung pinaka PEANUT OIL niya kaya nakakpag pasarap talaga. Especially good if you harvest the peanut oil from the top of the jar.

Buntot pa rin the best.

Annato is underrated, sabi ng marami kulay lang daw pero di nila napapansin may sarili ring nutty flavor ang annato oil/water.

And please wag naman yung alamang na ginawang kendi o mala tocino sa tamis. Masarap kung nalasahan ng baboy yung bagoong, yung kumatas na yung mantika ng baboy na pinansahog.

• 11 months later...

Use beef brisket (camto), beef shin (bulalo) and ox tripe all together

and simmer for 3 hrs minimun.Texture and flavor wise mas masarap sya.

Pure peanut or peanut butter Will do, a bit of glutinous rice flour on

water as slurry for the sauce, Re-saute your bottle brand bagoong over

garlic, onion and tomato plus sugar to taste. Then refried the veggies over garlic

(sitaw, talong, pechay) For more added flavor and kick. Kakagutom tuloy!

Edited by peppermintschnapps
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

pulse it with the rinsed rice... un na pampalapot

I really like my kare-kare's sauce to be thick and sabi nga nila eto talaga yung nagpapalapot. And minsan the secret to it is using a softer meat. Was wondering if someone tried using chicken as their main meat. Maybe fish too. Kasi feeling ko di sila advisable given na madudurog nalang sila basta-basta.

• 4 weeks later...

We used pork pata for the regular Kare-Kare, 1 small bottle of peanut butter, atsuete, ground rice and the vegetables puso ng saging, sitaw, talong and pechay boiled separately. Pag may time bagoong na paulit ulit na ginisa sa taba ng baboy.

On special occasions, twalya talaga and bituka na masebo loob gamit namin.

I have friends who's grandmother would cook a mean Kare-Kare using beef meat every fiesta.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 9 months later...

There is only one part for kare-kare and that's the tail, in the same way the only part for bulalo is the shank. The chin might work a bit but the quality isn't as good. As to goto, libro, twalya, etc., our mother likes to say, "kung magpapalagay kayo ng laman-loob, kayo na lang ang magluto."

So the tail is the most important ingredient. Also, it has to be taken fresh. Only fresh meat will stew well. I don't like using frozen meat. That's why the kare-kare and bulalo in all restaurants taste yucky. They all stock on frozen meat.

Third, you have to stew it well. Stew it till the skin is gelatinous and the pot gives off a sweet, delicious smell. If you don't get that smell, you're making ordinary beef nilaga.

Last color it with saffron if you want but the only good thickening agent is ground toasted rice. I don't even like ground toasted peanuts. I and I refuse to eat kare2 with peanut butter.