What's Your Video Card?

hello gang! need some expert advice here. im looking into getting a new 3d card. i've an $80 budget and i've narrowed it to two choices.. a radeon 9550 128mb (click here) or the radeon 9250 256mb (click here). both are $80 and 8x AGP cards.

which of the two would be better? i'd like to play games like HL2 or sims2 with it. btw.. ive an athlonXP 2200+ with 512mb of ram. thanks! :)

ATI 9550 hands down...the extra additional 128MB is zilch of the 9250 as you don't expect to play games with high AA/AF on that card. But for $80 won't you be able to buy a 9800 Pro or even the 9800 XT version? Or if you are going for Nvidia why not 6600 vanilla or 6600GT...I don't know the price though, I see that you quoted in USD. :)

Anyway, I am using a Sapphire Atlantis 9800 Pro flash modded to XT speeds. :) I still no reason to replace it, it still puts out good frame rates even for new games (e.g. F.E.A.R.) but not in the highest settings of course. :cool:

ATI 9550 hands down...the extra additional 128MB is zilch of the 9250 as you don't expect to play games with high AA/AF on that card. But for $80 won't you be able to buy a 9800 Pro or even the 9800 XT version? Or if you are going for Nvidia why not 6600 vanilla or 6600GT...I don't know the price though, I see that you quoted in USD. :)

Anyway, I am using a Sapphire Atlantis 9800 Pro flash modded to XT speeds. :) I still no reason to replace it, it still puts out good frame rates even for new games (e.g. F.E.A.R.) but not in the highest settings of course.  :cool:

thanks for the feedback! the 6600 was actually suggested to me by the people who worked in the store. but the cheapest 6600 available costs $130, which is just way over my budget. so i ended up settling for a 6200 instead.

the 6200 is actually a bit of a let down. games like hl2 and need for speed most wanted can be played only with medium settings. but for the price i paid for it, i shouldn't be complaining. the 6200 is a great entry level card, and can play older games like the first half life on max settings. DVI output is a plus too..text has never looked sharper, and there is now overall better contrast when viewing high resolution images. there really is a discernable difference between DVI and standard VGA.

lesson learned: getting the best card usually means buying the most expensive card you can afford.

• 1 month later...
puro ata Nvidia d2 ah.

wala bang mga naka ATI jan?

Does this mean mas maganda Nvidia sa ATI?

Not really, it could just be personal preference for most users. Personally though, I think Nvidia rules the local scene because ATI abandoned the AGP format too early. All their newer cards (X series) are for PCI-express while Nvidia still produces AGP versions of their 6-series. Thus, in a market where AGP boards are still being sold, naturally Nvidia and only choice nila.

im planning to buy a Geforce FX 5700 or Ati 9600. they're both agp 8x.

but my mobo only supports up to agp 4x. is it safe to try them out? or ill just stick to my old Geforce 2 ti?  :(

An AGP 8x card will automatically downgrade to 4x, kung yan lang ang kaya ng board. It also depends on the card if it is capable of using the data bandwidth provided by AGP 8x. Kung mabagal yung 3D chip and memory, kahit nakalagay 8x yung card, malamang hindi niya talaga nagagamit yung full 8x. Avoid the FX 5700, those particular series of cards didn't receive really good reviews.

tell me if im right pero diab geforce cards series 6 and up require extra power while those GF2->5FX dont,

which woud save on wattage and getting a new PSU..

and would require a good processor to run

any stock PSU will do well with a 6200. mine has been running perfectly fine with my stock 250watt psu. it's the 6600(gt) cards and above that require at least 350watts, you even have to plug a power connector (same type as used in disk/harddrives) to the graphics card itself.

so instead of getting a 6 series card, the 5700 or the 5900 ( is there such? ) would be a good buy althobut then again FX has a baugh tama ka, not that good reviews for 5700..

d rep*tation also dunno why

forget the FX'es and skip ahead to a 6 series card. you will undoubtedly upgrade eventually if you bother getting an FX now. i recommend getting a 6600GT.

Edited by milhouse83

I have Matrox card... dati pa akong user ng matrox since the generations pa ng 286's

They were dependable eversince.

Pero nainis ako 3 years ago when I upgraded to G550 tapos di pwede sa games na binili ko....

Heavy gamer pa man din ako.

I haven't upgraded it yet, and lost interest in pc games.

But now I'm getting hooked again in online games and I don't exactly know whats new and whats hot.

(I don't think I'll get another matrox card)

:D

I have Matrox card... dati pa akong user ng matrox since the generations pa ng 286's

They were dependable eversince.

Pero nainis ako 3 years ago when I upgraded to G550 tapos di pwede sa games na binili ko....

Heavy gamer pa man din ako.

I haven't upgraded it yet, and lost interest in pc games.

But now I'm getting hooked again in online games and I don't exactly know whats new and whats hot.

(I don't think I'll get another matrox card)

:D

Matrox have stopped manufacturing video cards, I think they are more focus on those All In One cards digital video editing cards.

Only two chips you can choose either Nvidia or ATI.