What's So Special About Starbucks?

Haven't you noticed how Starbucks has taken the place of Megamall, Enchanted Kingdom, and Jollibee? Today Starbucks spells gimmick. Suddenly everyone is mad about coffee, and is willing to spend a whooping hundred bucks for "one tall mocha frappe please!" or "I'll have one grande iced coffee please!".

Everyone claims it's different, it's something else, it's to die for. Instead of catching a nice flick at the cinema, the Filipinos' new idea of fun is to voluntarily park their buns at the café and ingurgitate all the caffeine they can.

No one knows exactly why Starbucks has become the hot spot, when what they serve is just foamed Blend 45 for crying out loud. Oh, try pointing this out to Starbucks fanatics (i.e., the gulping likes of teeny-boppers and kikay girls), and you can expect getting attacked on how little you know about coffee. Get ready with answers like "Duh!

Starbucks isn't just coffee! They're ground beans and processed chocolate and skimmed milk! What do you know about that?"

They have a point there, though, because even in the United States, when you talk coffee, Starbucks comes first. Their ingredients are never questionable, and if I'm not mistaken, Starbucks is an established-since-year brand. In short, Starbucks is the coffee authority. But it ends there. Starbucks is coffee, period. Certainly not a gimmick place of some sort, not convincing enough as an alternative for the mall. This, I repeat, is the case in the United States.

But Starbucks invades Manila and here it becomes an obsession. As you may have already seen, the interiors of Starbucks cafes are all designed to create a distinct ambience. Notice from the Italian-tiled flooring, to the cowboy-motif wall covering, to the fancy lamps, tables and chairs crafted like those only seen in home magazines. Of course, who would miss the complicated bar counter, behind which all the grinders and blenders are displayed as if to remind you they really do process your cappuccino.

I mean who can resist frequenting a posh place like this? Instead of worrying about other important things the typical kikay teenager puts on her best dress, and with her kikay friends goes straight to Starbucks where she orders "one tall caramel frappe please!". This takes time to prepare, which is fine. She feels rewarded by the fact that the ethical cashier would shout her name across the room by the time her frappe is ready. After she claims it, she heads for the self-service corner where she takes excessive pockets of extra sugar, extra cream, an inch thick of Starbucks tissue paper for souvenirs. Then she sits by the front window, hoping someone she knows would pass by and see her drinking expensive coffee. She takes remarkably small sips in order to prolong her stay, like a real smart-ass.

During the entire process, there is the obligatory flaunting of Nokia Cellphones Finland or China???), the occasional eruptions of "yeah" and "sure" here and there. You get the impression everyone in the room is from CRC.

Pathetic as it is, the Starbucks atmosphere is so contagious that it simply brings out the social climber in on e. You have to admit that the Philippine franchiser of Starbucks--whoever he is--deserves credit. He's certainly not stupid. He sees through us Filipinos, and definitely knows how to flatter us.

Mr. Starbucks is aware of the average Pinoy desire to be associated and considered among the elite because well, in reality, the average Pinoy is far from being that.

The average Pinoy home is less attractive than a place like Starbucks. The average Pinoy meal is without garnishes. The average Pinoy environment is less comforting and convenient than the service of Starbucks.

But when in Starbucks, the average Pinoy is instantly made to feel he's in New ork, or Las Vegas, or Paris, or anywhere else but Manila--one probable reason why we Filipinos buy this flick. We are total suckers for a nything that is western in concept. But Starbucks has gone beyond colonial mentality; it has become pure escapism. It helps us forget about the EDSA traffic jam, the hostages in Mindanao, and the decreasing popularity of Erap. In this age of harsh realities of poverty and chaos, anything that offers oblivion and temporary indulgence sells fast.

Haven't you noticed how Starbucks has taken the place of Megamall, Enchanted Kingdom, and Jollibee? Today Starbucks spells gimmick. Suddenly everyone is mad about coffee, and is willing to spend a whooping hundred bucks for "one tall mocha frappe please!" or "I'll have one grande iced coffee please!".

Everyone claims it's different, it's something else, it's to die for. Instead of catching a nice flick at the cinema, the Filipinos' new idea of fun is to voluntarily park their buns at the café and ingurgitate all the caffeine they can.

No one knows exactly why Starbucks has become the hot spot, when what they serve is just foamed Blend 45 for crying out loud. Oh, try pointing this out to Starbucks fanatics (i.e., the gulping likes of teeny-boppers and kikay girls), and you can expect getting attacked on how little you know about coffee. Get ready with answers like "Duh!

Starbucks isn't just coffee! They're ground beans and processed chocolate and skimmed milk! What do you know about that?"

They have a point there, though, because even in the United States, when you talk coffee, Starbucks comes first. Their ingredients are never questionable, and if I'm not mistaken, Starbucks is an established-since-year brand. In short, Starbucks is the coffee authority. But it ends there. Starbucks is coffee, period. Certainly not a gimmick place of some sort, not convincing enough as an alternative for the mall. This, I repeat, is the case in the United States.

But Starbucks invades Manila and here it becomes an obsession. As you may have already seen, the interiors of Starbucks cafes are all designed to create a distinct ambience. Notice from the Italian-tiled flooring, to the cowboy-motif wall covering, to the fancy lamps, tables and chairs crafted like those only seen in home magazines. Of course, who would miss the complicated bar counter, behind which all the grinders and blenders are displayed as if to remind you they really do process your cappuccino.

I mean who can resist frequenting a posh place like this? Instead of worrying about other important things the typical kikay teenager puts on her best dress, and with her kikay friends goes straight to Starbucks where she orders "one tall caramel frappe please!". This takes time to prepare, which is fine. She feels rewarded by the fact that the ethical cashier would shout her name across the room by the time her frappe is ready. After she claims it, she heads for the self-service corner where she takes excessive pockets of extra sugar, extra cream, an inch thick of Starbucks tissue paper for souvenirs. Then she sits by the front window, hoping someone she knows would pass by and see her drinking expensive coffee. She takes remarkably small sips in order to prolong her stay, like a real smart-ass.

During the entire process, there is the obligatory flaunting of Nokia Cellphones Finland or China???), the occasional eruptions of "yeah" and "sure" here and there. You get the impression everyone in the room is from CRC.

Pathetic as it is, the Starbucks atmosphere is so contagious that it simply brings out the social climber in on e. You have to admit that the Philippine franchiser of Starbucks--whoever he is--deserves credit. He's certainly not stupid. He sees through us Filipinos, and definitely knows how to flatter us.

Mr. Starbucks is aware of the average Pinoy desire to be associated and considered among the elite because well, in reality, the average Pinoy is far from being that.

The average Pinoy home is less attractive than a place like Starbucks. The average Pinoy meal is without garnishes. The average Pinoy environment is less comforting and convenient than the service of Starbucks.

But when in Starbucks, the average Pinoy is instantly made to feel he's in New ork, or Las Vegas, or Paris, or anywhere else but Manila--one probable reason why we Filipinos buy this flick. We are total suckers for a nything that is western in concept. But Starbucks has gone beyond colonial mentality; it has become pure escapism. It helps us forget about the EDSA traffic jam, the hostages in Mindanao, and the decreasing popularity of Erap. In this age of harsh realities of poverty and chaos, anything that offers oblivion and temporary indulgence sells fast.

same scene happened with Dunkin Donuts during the 80's! as in people would flock and buys cartons if not bags of their stuff! coffee isnt as fancy but it was far better than s*******s!

as cops in the states! which is the better coffee?

• 3 weeks later...

If you're in Starbucks, you're part of the 'in' crowd... That's probably why people flock to Starbucks and to other coffee shops... The coffee can be as ordinary as it can be... but when served on a paper cup with Starbucks written on it.. it can become more special..

I think what you really pay at Starbucks is the 'ambience', the social acceptance that you vicariously experience, and the nicely presented coffee... :) ;)

What the heck! Let's just brew our own coffee!!!;) ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, Starbucks for me has the right blend. I'm a coffee drinker even before Starbucks made it presence know here.

I go for starbucks because:

1. Their coffee is not as bitter as figaro.

2. Their cappuccino is not too sweet like SBC

3. I love the aroma of their coffee.

4. It's convenient, Starbucks can be found everywhere!

What makes it expensive? Packaging, Location, Ambience and Excellent Customer Service.

I love coffee ! And for me Seattle's Best beats Starbucks anytime. Lamang lang siguro Starbucks in terms of image, pr, marketing. As many people say nga, its a place to be seen. But for me the coffee itself is more important than the place. Pero I still find UCC coffee the best among all of them (especially together with the crystal sugar ;) ). They use kasi daw the "slow drip" method. Am not sure about that but the taste is real smooth and flavorful. Smell pa lang ayos na. Teka intoxicated na ata ako sa kape ha. hehehe :lol:

starbucks is famous for their coffee or at least the ones they get from different countries.........and they give importance to cleanliness, quality and customer service...............thats all coming from experience...............;)

When it comes to social climbing strategy panalo ang pinoy. I'm a witnessed to all the peepz wanna be cool when I visited manila. I'm a coffee drinker but when it comes for my caffeine intake, whatever coffee place (starbucks,seatlle, san fran ) is closer i'll go for it. To give you an idea here in calif all starbucks coffee have perfected their way of making coffee. Yun lang po..

:cool:

Guest breakdowngirl

hmmmm kung ako sa inyo the coffee bean and tea leaf na lang kayo....

as for the social climbing naman, not all of those who go to starbucks are social climbers, some simply love sb.. as i've said in an earlier post, how i loved mocha frappucino and oreos cookies and cream the first time i had them... pero nga ngayon sorry ha, jolologs na ang mga makikita mo sa starbucks, lalo na yung mga andun lang na nakatambay yung mga hindi naman talga bumibili ng kape...

hmmmm... isang beses pa COFFEE BEAN AND TEA LEAF NA LANG TAYO...

and lemme repeat.. hanging out in a coffee shop is just one way to cap things off.. it should never replace your main gimmick such as going to clubs or watching movies with your friends...

I love coffee ! And for me Seattle's Best beats Starbucks anytime. Lamang lang siguro Starbucks in terms of image, pr, marketing. As many people say nga, its a place to be seen. But for me the coffee itself is more important than the place. Pero I still find UCC coffee the best among all of them (especially together with the crystal sugar ;) ). They use kasi daw the "slow drip" method. Am not sure about that but the taste is real smooth and flavorful. Smell pa lang ayos na. Teka intoxicated na ata ako sa kape ha. hehehe :lol:

I like UCC Coffee but it's more expensive than starbucks!

I don't think that drinking coffee at starbucks is a form of social climbing. It's only coffee. I'd define social climbing as buying a Prada bag when you can't even afford to pay your bills on time.

Guest breakdowngirl

simpatiko i agree with you, there are people who go to starbucks for coffee and pastry instead of eating a real full meal which is wrong... just as coffee is a way to cap off your gimik, it should also be treated as an after-meal treat, not the main course. =)