ipautang mo sa akin, ibabalik ko after one year with 10% interest.

pangdadagdag ko lang sa kapital ko. hehehehe.

ako din! if you want, you can lend it to me for 10% per anum interest..i have a very profitable business... check my signature link number 2. that's my business...

Edited by muffin

3.5% interest rate for Time Deposit in banks are good enough since it has low risk. you may also opt to place your money in a cooperative as they can offer a higher interest rate for TDs than that offered by banks and not subject to tax. Only con is that depositor is not insured by the PDIC so better place money in a cooperative that you know and trusts (or on one which you have connections with its members/officers). :upside:

happy saving!

@Immortal

You never did say kung ilang taon na mom mo at kung talagang extra lang yung 200k. Para klaro kayo sa time horizon... ok naman sa time deposit kaso kung matagal mo naman pala kayang hindi galawin, baka mas mabuti pang sa mutual fund nga. Sayang din ang sanang kikitain niyo. O di kaya merong single-pay na investment products. Wala bang ibang investments? Kasi kung time deposit at savings na yung iba niyong assets tapos bonds pa uli, sobrang conservative na, hindi na kayo nakinabang sa 'diversification'.

• 1 month later...
Oy hindi a. 57 pa lang ang nanay ko. Extra lang talaga yung 200K. Nalagay na namin sa TD and pa-end na sya ngayong October. Ie-extend ata ng mom ko for another 3 months.

since your money is with BDO, inquire about their PMMF(peso money market fund) wherein you earn minimal interest daily and you can opt out any day without any preterm charges.......

Guest serenity12
in a businessman point of view,

if you're going to invest 200k, you must at least earn 4k a month or 2%,

because banks can give you 2% monthly if you deposit your money to their bank.

in one year time, your money should increase by 24% or 48k minimum.

Are you sure about your math, sir? Sure banks can give you 2% but its on a per annum basis, I think. I haven't heard of any bank that would give you 24% return in a year ;)

My mom just sold a piece of our land for 200K and she intends to keep it as money for when she grows older. I told her it wouldn't be wise to have it just sit in a bank earning 1% interest. I was telling her to invest in Mutual Funds but she was thinking of putting the money in a time deposit. I'm not that knowledgeable in Mutual Funds to convince her otherwise. Can you give suggestions on what would be the best way to invest the money and hopefully earn some interest on it?

last july, a 5-year retail treasury bond with a 9% yield was offered. it is still below inflation rate but offered a better return (with a lot less risk) than other instruments. keep your eye out for something safe like that. it is not sexy but sometimes plain jane investments (especially in a highly volatile market) will be better for you. if you want to give mutual funds a try, i suggest that you do not put all of your money in a mutual fund. you can lose it all. given that your mom seems to be counting on the Php200K for her retirement, safe is the way to go....but please, take it out of the savings account that gives a 1% return! ask your bank manager what your bank has to offer.

by the way, good for you that you're thinking about your mom! :thumbsupsmiley:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
SDAs have a gross of 6.187% p.a. and are only available in 14 days and 30 days tenor at the moment.

Sir Quick question.. What exactly is this Special Deposit Accounts (SDA), and where can one be able to invest in SDAs?? Also, u said they are available in 14 days and 30 days? Do u mean one can invest their money in such SDA accounts and can withdraw their money right away in 14 or 30 days?? and the 6.187% p.a., kinda confused.. Can you please explain , sir??

Thanks in advance!

Sir Quick question.. What exactly is this Special Deposit Accounts (SDA), and where can one be able to invest in SDAs?? Also, u said they are available in 14 days and 30 days? Do u mean one can invest their money in such SDA accounts and can withdraw their money right away in 14 or 30 days?? and the 6.187% p.a., kinda confused.. Can you please explain , sir??

Thanks in advance!

Quoting from my post on the Time Deposit thread:

SDA stands for Special Deposit Account offered by the Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas to Banks who in turn offer it to their Treasury or Trust clients. The tenors are in 14 days and 30 days only. This facility was intended to siphon off excess liquidity from the market by offering relatively higher rates so as to be attractive to investors. In your case you are probably a branch client that booked you under a trust arrangement with BDO. BDO trust then invested your funds (together with their other trust clients) with the Bangko Sentral's SDA. In fact, the interest rate of the SDA is 6 percent something but you only get 5 percent something because of the withholding tax and trust fees. You can consider it a secure investment because, well, it's a deposit with the Bangko Sentral.

• 4 weeks later...

Second-hand taxicab. Get Toyota Corolla model. Budget it at Php175,000. The remaining Php25,000 is set asisde for working capital. For the non-finance peeps, working capital = pre-operating expense (such as taxi license renewal) + opearting expense budget until the business becomes self-sustaining (meaning, the future operating expense is already shouldered from the revenue of the business).

I did this before, where my investments was a total of Php175,000 and my nominal 4 year net income is Php280,000. Whereas if I put Php175,000 in a 10% earning time deposit, over 4 years, I would have gotten Php255,000.

The key is to get a trusted driver, which I had. Another key is it helps is you know basic engine flow and troubleshooting, which I learned first via workshops. Another is that the taxi license has to be new or at most 1 year old, since license are only for 5 years (but renewable for another 5, so total of 10 years).

One tip in this trade is while the car is still relatively new, in the first year of operation you shoulder the expense of repairs, which is not much since it is still relatively new. After year 1, enter into drive-to-own contract with the driver. This makes him the future owner of the car and all expenses shall be handled by him. Since he will be the future owner, he will take good care of the car, which means the daily boundary he gives to you is almost non-stop.

This business is key to my savings when I was starting. In the morning, my driver drops me off to the office so I save on tranport fee. Then I work at the office then go home. Then around 8pm the car is back to me with the boundary. It's a business that I can get on without leaving work. It's so easy to operate. Especially after your first year and once you have the drive to own contract in place. The only work you need to do is to lift your palm up and receive your daily money.

Of course, the "fringe" benefit here is you can drive the taxi at night for additonal income, where you can drive home ladies after their work in the bars, then you get them as regulars and become friends with them. Just make sure you bring back the gasoline you used at night or else the driver will get mad in the morning.

• 2 weeks later...

to the person who inquire more, im also posting the response here coz im not sure kung na-send ung response sa yo.

1) bro in late 1999 i bought a 1995 nissan sentra second hand cab but it was just 1 year in use as one. hence, i had 4 years left in the 5-year license. the owner had to ditch the taxi because of opportunity abroad.

2. during that time boundary I think was Php550 per day. car leaves 7am and is back at 9pm. a driver makes Php250 to 500 per day that time, depending on the day (malakas monday, friday and saturday).

3. contract to own is Php1450 paid every week, which computes to Php75400 per year for 3 years, giving a total of Php226,200 for years 2,3 and 4th year of operation. Napakagaan nito sa kanya and in fact most contracts are 2 to 2.5 years. but i gave it to him for 3 years para mas lalo gumaan pagbayad nya, sort of tulong ko na rin sa family nya. condition was during first year of contract, the car is parked in my house. on second year of contract (or third year of operation), given that wala syang default, he gets to park the car in his house. everything is in legally binding contract. then each payment, i sign a receipt and give him a copy of his receipt. so a total of 52 receipts per year.

sometimes, pag nasira sasakyan, magrerequest sya to pay on the next week, which is ok lang as long as he makes good. i get to visit him sa house (walking distance lang where I live) to check on the car and see kung sira nga.

so i only had the car for the first 2 years. on year 1, i netted Php60,000 (meaning that is my cash balance at the end of year one labas na pagawa and maintenance). so if i add 226,200 + 60,000, I got a total of Php286,2000 at the end of 4 years. this is the same as saying I earned 22% return on investment.

here's what I could suggest further : limit the contract to 2.5 years, which is the standard. that means tataas ung weekly payment to compensate for the shortened time span.

also, if 2.5 years ang contract, start with letting him park the car in his home after 1.5 year of good payment in the contract, and not after 1 year like I did. added safety na rin sa yo. IMPORTANT to get a driver na malapit lang sa yo haybols at kilalanin pamilya. ung hindi pwede i-carnap sasakyan mo.

good luck.

to the person who inquire more, im also posting the response here coz im not sure kung na-send ung response sa yo.

1) bro in late 1999 i bought a 1995 nissan sentra second hand cab but it was just 1 year in use as one. hence, i had 4 years left in the 5-year license. the owner had to ditch the taxi because of opportunity abroad.

2. during that time boundary I think was Php550 per day. car leaves 7am and is back at 9pm. a driver makes Php250 to 500 per day that time, depending on the day (malakas monday, friday and saturday).

3. contract to own is Php1450 paid every week, which computes to Php75400 per year for 3 years, giving a total of Php226,200 for years 2,3 and 4th year of operation. Napakagaan nito sa kanya and in fact most contracts are 2 to 2.5 years. but i gave it to him for 3 years para mas lalo gumaan pagbayad nya, sort of tulong ko na rin sa family nya. condition was during first year of contract, the car is parked in my house. on second year of contract (or third year of operation), given that wala syang default, he gets to park the car in his house. everything is in legally binding contract. then each payment, i sign a receipt and give him a copy of his receipt. so a total of 52 receipts per year.

sometimes, pag nasira sasakyan, magrerequest sya to pay on the next week, which is ok lang as long as he makes good. i get to visit him sa house (walking distance lang where I live) to check on the car and see kung sira nga.

so i only had the car for the first 2 years. on year 1, i netted Php60,000 (meaning that is my cash balance at the end of year one labas na pagawa and maintenance). so if i add 226,200 + 60,000, I got a total of Php286,2000 at the end of 4 years. this is the same as saying I earned 22% return on investment.

here's what I could suggest further : limit the contract to 2.5 years, which is the standard. that means tataas ung weekly payment to compensate for the shortened time span.

also, if 2.5 years ang contract, start with letting him park the car in his home after 1.5 year of good payment in the contract, and not after 1 year like I did. added safety na rin sa yo. IMPORTANT to get a driver na malapit lang sa yo haybols at kilalanin pamilya. ung hindi pwede i-carnap sasakyan mo.

good luck.

There is no way I would have figured this out...Brother ragstoriches you are one hell of a math wizard...you make sensible and intelligent posts..kaya I read your posts marami akong natututunan..keep it up bro...ano maaadvice mo sa mga taga province kung gustong magkaroon ng residual income(I am here in cabanatuan city and a retired sailor)

^ bro skicker thanks for the kind remarks although im no math wizard lol. i am just the most regular guy around that you can find. nagsisikap lang makaahon ng konti :).

i love cabanatuan city. 3hrs from Metro Manila. dami tricycle haha. it's the educational hub of Central Luzon.

residual income ba as in you want to invest some of your savings in order to generate income from it?

tingin ko sa Cabanatuan ok mag-tayo business catering to schools/students, be it internet shop, canteen, school bus/jeep, xerox, rentals, school supplies, etc. ok rin agriculture and farming, especially malakas ang R&D support dyan, with Munoz City very close. maganda sa atin is maraming learning resources for all types of business, example TLRC. Also AIM library has lots of theses/feasibility studies of almost any business. they have this computer software where you just type in your business interests and it will provide you the location in the library where you can find them. tapos, xerox na!

• 2 months later...