Singapore Travel - Hidden Secrets

December is fast approaching and what better place to go for a vacation? Sunny Singapore!

The last time I was in Singapore was 1993. I bet things have change in Singapore. I've read that there is now a Snow city themed attraction wherein you can learn how to ski or snowboarding!

To those who have traveled to Singapore please share your experiences, where's the best place to dine, where to shop at bargain prices, best attractions you've seen so far.

• Like (+1) 2
Guest event_horizon

i've been here for quite some time already... when it comes to these, things become relative :P

dining places, madami! depends on what tickles your fancy.. mahirap enumerate lahat... to name some, chili crab or black pepper crab sa mcpherson should be on the list. cheap and good! rice table is a good indonesian restaurant. sulit na yung eat-all-can dinner dito. Brazil is quite pricey but it is the best for me in terms of MEAT-all-you-can! lahat ng types ng karne on skewers! and many more

where to shop depends on what you want to shop for....

attractions? hmm this isn't too hard.. konti lang kasi :P.. madami naman pero di ko lang typa attractions sa singapore. the zoos are not bad (day zoo, night safari, bird park).. the reserviors provide nice places for relaxing or jogging. there is sentosa (which i personally don't like).. and there are numerous parks.

not sure lang anaheim kung anu-ano na yung nandito when you were here.

• Like (+1) 1

ramon123, thanks for the input. nanduon pa ba yung oceanarium sa sentosa? last time i was there we saw the musical fountain also at sentosa. why don't you like about sentosa? I will definitely try that chili crab....i think it's that's an attraction sa mcpherson. ive heard there are new attractions such as cinemania, snow city.

Guest event_horizon

actually medyo matagal na yung snow city :) meron din parang i-max.. science center.. water theme park sa downtown east.. etc..

underwater world ang tawag dun sa "oceanarium" sa sentosa.. not sure if the musical fountain is operational.. inaayos ata yun..

meron din bago yung parang bunjee ang concept but is different instead of you jumping, you sit on something that is pulled up by bunjee cords..

reason i don't like sentosa is i find it boring.. i mean, ang ok dun are yung discos on the beach.. but the rest i find just not to nice. kinda too ordinary for sentosa.. mas ok pa yung mga zoos eh..

actually medyo matagal na yung snow city :) meron din parang i-max.. science center.. water theme park sa downtown east.. etc..

underwater world ang tawag dun sa "oceanarium" sa sentosa.. not sure if the musical fountain is operational.. inaayos ata yun..

meron din bago yung parang bunjee ang concept but is different instead of you jumping, you sit on something that is pulled up by bunjee cords..

reason i don't like sentosa is i find it boring.. i mean, ang ok dun are yung discos on the beach.. but the rest i find just not to nice. kinda too ordinary for sentosa.. mas ok pa yung mga zoos eh..

pareng ramon123, saan matatagpuan yung bunjee jumping? I'll be visiting singapore in december kasi. i want to try those things. it's about time i get away from the pressures of work here. thanks

hey, i enjoyed sentosa...dahil siguro libre ang stay namin sa shangri-la! fyi lang, one of the cheapest places to eat in spore is at the bus terminal on the hill fronting the entrance to sentosa...the best hainanese chicken can be found here, mura na, masarap pa!

hey, another informative tip from pareng sally. i'll log it down on my notes pareng sally, thanks. ano pa mga enjoyable experiences mo sa singapore? :)

Guest event_horizon

it really is reverse bungee.. starts at ground level and hurls a specially designed steel reinforced capsule attached by cords to two 114-feet towers.. the ride is located at Clarke Quay

Guest event_horizon

for the question on apollo hotel, better ask our fellow mtc-members.. drop by in the Singapore thread in the groups/chapters section.

i find that the prices are almost the same. before the peso lost more of its value against the dollar, prices were a bit cheaper here in singapore and i find that the quality here is much better. but don't quote me on the quality side. the reason i say that is all HDs i bought in the phils died after 3-4 years. those that i have bought from here still works like a charm.

as for video cards, the middle range cards would be cheaper in manila, however the really high end ones are cheaper here in singapore. it really depends on what you plan to use the PC for. the high end ones i am referring to are those cards that cost up to 600-800 sgd per piece. i am not sure if you can even get it in the phils now.

Nice thread re: Singapore

I have been to Singapore on several occassions. But I only stay in Raffles the Plaza Hotel. If you are on a shopping galore, you would find the place convenient since the malls are inside the hotel. But if you would like to try other shopping centers, you may stride along the Orchard Road. The Centerpoint Plaza is the place to be, when you are looking for bargain prices.

For tour and sightseeing, Sentosa is still the best.

For the best of Singaporean dishes you may dine at Teochew City Seafood Restaurant. You can get recommendations from the restaurant Manager and they will give you the best. Only here that I tasted frog soup (but it is really good! of course with the famous Tiger Beer). But it is odd since Singaproeans love to eat Thai dishes rather than their own. You would find a street (I forgot the name) with rows of Thai restaurant.

Guest event_horizon
i bought my (now defunct) Game Gear in Singapore in 1993. can't seem to remember the place...(I recall) people's park ? sabi nila yung Orchard place parang Makati ang prices. will definitely travel to singapore this coming december

people's park is in chinatown.. orchard road is like ayala ng makati in terms of shopping.. depends on which shop you go to.. like OG, prices are not bad pero karamihan dito are shoes and bags for ladies.. Robinson's is average - not too pricey but not to cheap. M&S is pricey.. John Little is cheap.. these are run by the same group to cater to different market tiers..

of course there are those branded shops like Polo, etc... which are really expensive. but then again, "expensive" is relative to how much you are earning..

sabihan mo ako when you come here kasi dito ako magpapasko...

Guest event_horizon

theodore,

this place is convenient but you won't find the best bargains in this area.. they cater more to tourists..

as said in my previous post.. centerpoint (Robinson's) is more for the middle tier.. John little which is opposite centerpoint is, out of the three, the one that has more bargains. there are even times when the prices here are 10% lower than centerpoint.

i beg to disagree with sentosa.. singpaore, though small, has a lot more to offer than sentosa. i am not saying it is not nice.. just that there are better places to be at..

you mentioned that singaporeans love to eat Thai dishes rather than their own... that is because they don't have any haha (joke)... most, if not all, of the food here have influences from other cultures.

if you are into frogs legs, geylang is the place.. i know, i know, it has a rep*tation but they also have really good frog's legs soup or congee or whatever they call it.. dito din nagpupunta mga tao for durian trip!

you mentioned that singaporeans love to eat Thai dishes rather than their own... that is because they don't have any haha (joke)... most, if not all, of the food here have influences from other cultures

But that is correct

Chicken rice is from Hainan,Beehon and Hokkien mee are Hokkien,Rotis are Indian,Rendangs are Indonesian and Malay,Bah ku teh is Southern chinese :) Chili Crab????Singapore Sling???? :lol:

i think one reason why it's hard to discern what is truly sporean cuisine is the fact that the country is still quite young and searching for its true identity...this is quite difficult given the influence of chinese (hokkien, hainanese, cantonese), malay and tamil cultures...maybe ccl is tight; about the only sporean original is the spore sling...but yes, try to visit the raffles, the grand old dame still teeming with the grandeur of its colonial past

Not sure what you saw the last time you were here pero wala namang pagbabago gaano - if you're bringing kids, love to take pictures or love animals you should visit the Zoo and Night Safari again cause they might've gotten new animals there since you last visited - may white tiger na ngayon. Kung food naman, hawker centers pa rin then go to East coast park for good chinese dish plus the huge Sri Lankan crabs. Sa Sentosa not much - I also find it boring - the only thing to see there is the Underwater world.

Yung Clarke Quay - yun nga may parang reverse bungee device sila - hindi lang ito yung typical na nakatali ka ah - may sasakyan ka dito so once narelease eh aside from tataas eh medyo umiikot din ng konti.

Kung PC gusto mo - here's a link to go to : Sim Lim Prices - price list ng Sim Lim where locals go to buy PC parts - exchange rate is about 32 pesos to S$1. Makikita mo dyan prices ng motherboards, video card, hard disk etc.

May bago rin dito na water-theme park near this Pasir Ris. I think the only new "attraction" here.

Shopping-wise - well due to the fact na bumababa ang halaga ng peso - minsan mas mura na dyan as pinas compared dito sa Singapore kaya medyo check mo prices ng balak mong bilhin.

In my opinion lang - kung ayaw mo ng beach at medyo shopping, city-sightseeing habol mo - Hong Kong is still the better destination laluna sa December since mas maraming happenings sa HK - not to mention mas malamig.

Oh and shopping-wise - kung bargains habol mo depende sa bibilhin mo. Like kung PC - sa Sim Lim or Funan. Kung camera, sa Peninsula Plaza near City Hall MRT or kung malakas loob mo at okay kang makipagtawaran pwde din sa Sim Lim - ingat lang at baka madaya ka dito. Kung sportswear like shoes, nike shirts/shorts sa Queensway Shopping Center. Kung gusto mo 1-stop shopping the best bet is Mustafa Shopping Center in Little India. Pero syempre daan ka pa din ng Orchard and Suntec para magwindow-shopping and baka may Sale.

Guest event_horizon

hey PB, you sound like that you have been here for quite some time too.. are you basedin SIngapore? kelan ka pa dito? daan ka dun sa singapore thread sa groups/chapters...

yeah i agree singaporeans luv thai dishes.. most of the gurls in geylang are thai heheh some of them are lookers :D last time i was there around 94 the rate was sing$40. the houses are discreet except for the lighted numbers outside the houses. once you enter you will see an aquarium where you could choose the girl that catches your fancy. she will then take u upstairs to her room, bathe u then popoy :D

for the question on apollo hotel, better ask our fellow mtc-members.. drop by in the Singapore thread in the groups/chapters section.

i find that the prices are almost the same. before the peso lost more of its value against the dollar, prices were a bit cheaper here in singapore and i find that the quality here is much better. but don't quote me on the quality side. the reason i say that is all HDs i bought in the phils died after 3-4 years. those that i have bought from here still works like a charm.

as for video cards, the middle range cards would be cheaper in manila, however the really high end ones are cheaper here in singapore. it really depends on what you plan to use the PC for. the high end ones i am referring to are those cards that cost up to 600-800 sgd per piece. i am not sure if you can even get it in the phils now.

You can get a pretty good view of the computer and gadgets prices here.

http://www.hardwarezone.com/priceguide/

for shopping:

it would be best to do some window shopping in manila then

compare the prices here in singapore.

You can always go to Orchard road, robinsons, OG, suntec but

Mustafa center would be the best place to go bargain hunting and its open 24hrs.

I agree with ramon, once youve seen what singapore can offer it becomes relative.

If your planning to take your family (with kids) then not to miss places would be:

Singapore Zoo

Night Safari

Sentosa:

Underwater world

Dolphin show

Merlion

etc.

Jurong bird park

Singapore Science center

For computer parts and accessories: Sim Lim and Funan are the places to go.

again check the prices in the Philippines for a small savings of 300-500 pesos take into consideration the warranty that you can get in manila.

I get to go back to the Philippines once-a-month and I found the prices in manila competitive. If its a new item then its cheaper in SG but if its an old one check out manila prices.

Guest event_horizon
You can always go to Orchard road, robinsons, OG, suntec but

Mustafa center would be the best place to go bargain hunting and its open 24hrs.

do note that if you are going to mustafa, you should know what you are looking for already so taht you don't have to ask the salesman's opinion... coz they don't know s**t about the stuff they are selling... might not be applicable to all but it is to most!