All About Old Computers

I remember being one of the coolest kids in my batch, because we had 2 PCs at home - a 386DX/33 and a 386SX/25. And not only that -- inupgrade namin yung 386/25 ko para maging MPC - multimedia PC! With a blazing fast 1x (150Kb/s) cd-drive and a Sound Blaster Pro.

Ah the good old days of DOS 3.3, 5, and 6.22.

But I also used to have an Apple ata... basta, the command for "dir" was CATALOG, and "park" was PR#6. Old school talaga.

dati , pina park pa ang hard disk ano? parang kotse hehehe

• 2 weeks later...

I remember getting hooked to an Apple II in which most of the programs were running under the ROM version of BASIC. Sobrang na-excite ako noon kasi nalilibang ako sa paggamit ng computer, pero at the same time natutuwa ako na ganon pala kasarap mag-try gumawa ng sarili kong mga programs. Since then, naging tuloy-tuloy na ang pagkahilig ko sa mga computers. Naaalala ko pa noong high school ako...ako lang ang marunong gumamit ng DOS (I still do :) ), samantalang hirap na hirap ang mga classmates ko noon sa mandatory DOS lessons namin (they got spoiled with Windows 3.11 at the time)

By the way, six years old ako noon nang una akong mangalikot ng Apple II Basic using the old manuals...you can only imagine how old I am right now :)

• 1 month later...
dati , pina park pa ang hard disk ano? parang kotse hehehe

No. what was being parked with the "PR#6" command was the 5.25-inch shugart floppy disk drives which were later repalced by TEACs. Very few people had a hard disk for an Apple II because the 5mb Corvus drives were not only expensive and slow, they were also huge and cumbersome.

My first computer was an Apple II clone called the Starapple. Composite amber display off an 80-column card, multi I/O card with parallel and serial port, dual external single-sided drives, 16 kb of ram on board, CP/M card with 48 kb of ram, Okidata 100 printer. Followed by:

IBM PC-XT with the 10MB hard disk, 5.25 double sided drive, hercules graphics card driving a green IBM monitor, Intel 8088 processor running at 4.75 MHz, 101-key Centronics keyboard, MS-DOS 2.11, Epson LX-80 printer with the color ribbon. And then naging:

Apple Mac Plus, 800 kb internal 3.5-inch floppy, 800 kb external floppy, Motorola 68000 running at 8 MHz, 1 MB ram, 9-inch white monitor, later added an external 20 mb SCSI hard disk drive, Apple Imagewriter II printer with sheet feeder, 4-color ribbon, Mac os 4.1, naging:

Apple Macintosh II, 800 kb internal 3.5, 40 MB internal SCSI drive, 16 Mhz Motorola 68020, Motorola 68881 math processor, 4 MB of RAM, 256-color Apple video card, 13-inch Apple trinitron monitor, Apple Laserwriter 2

The rest are forgettable computers.

yan yung mga kinaiingitan ko computers noon..:(

palibhasa mahirap lng kami kaya hindi agad nkapagpabili ng mga yan.. naalala ko pa na bukod pa yung math-coprocessor from main processor..

well mine was a bit late technology.. amd 386sx-33mhz w/ 1mb memory bundled with lx-800 printer, binili sa Complink.

40mb HD nakapartition pa ng 10/30 love those DOS days.. :rolleyes:

pero lumabas na yung windows3.11 pero motto pa namin nun.. Real Men Use DOS :lol:

Same here

My first computer was an

Apple II clone

Composite GREEN display off an 80-column card, multi I/O card with parallel and serial port,

dual external single-sided FDD 5.25 inche drives, 16 kb of ram on board, CP/M card with 48 kb of ram

NO printer.

With JOYSTICK

Followed by:

Clone PC-XT with the 10MB hard disk, 5.25 double sided drive, hercules graphics card driving a green Taxan monitor, Epson LX-80 printer

My first computer was an Apple II clone called the Starapple. Composite amber display off an 80-column card, multi I/O card with parallel and serial port, dual external single-sided drives, 16 kb of ram on board, CP/M card with 48 kb of ram, Okidata 100 printer. Followed by:

IBM PC-XT with the 10MB hard disk, 5.25 double sided drive, hercules graphics card driving a green IBM monitor, Intel 8088 processor running at 4.75 MHz, 101-key Centronics keyboard, MS-DOS 2.11, Epson LX-80 printer with the color ribbon. And then naging:

yan yung mga kinaiingitan ko computers noon.. :(

palibhasa mahirap lng kami kaya hindi agad nkapagpabili ng mga yan.. naalala ko pa na bukod pa yung math-coprocessor from main processor..

well mine was a bit late technology.. amd 386sx-33mhz w/ 1mb memory bundled with lx-800 printer, binili sa Complink.

40mb HD nakapartition pa ng 10/30 love those DOS days.. :rolleyes:

pero lumabas na yung windows3.11 pero motto pa namin nun.. Real Men Use DOS :lol:

Konting OT lang... just for laughs.

Actually, Apple DOS, CP/M, DR-Dos, and MS-DOS are relatively easy and get quite intuitive once you are used to one of them like say, CP/M. In those times, we also use the "real men..." phrase but it is: "Real men use PICK".

Now that was one hell of an OS. The office I was consulting for just went ahead and bought a system purely on the basis of the application it needed without checking if there were enough technical expertise available in town. I had to teach myself the darn thing in a week. Nice hardware, a Honeywell-Bull minicomputer system with dual Motorola 68000 processors, and a Mannesmann Tally 600 line per minute line matrix printer. The OS had the capability for database calls at the system level. Modular R/Basic was the dev language and reports and database inquiries are command line based using postfix polish notation. Those were the days.

hmmmm...first pc was 8086 followed by a 286 a few years later. The 8086 didn't have a hard drive, just 2 5.25" floppies. Used to play the first Zork games on that PC! By the time we got the 286, Space Quest, and King's Quest were the games to play....used to spend hours and days playing those classic games. The 286 didn't have a hard drive either at first. We got that about 2 or 3 years later...a whopping 10 MB of space!!! it was great cuz you didn't have to keep switching diskettes playing KQ4 (which had a ridiculous number of game disks...i think it had 7 floppies).

good times!

hmmmm...first pc was 8086 followed by a 286 a few years later. The 8086 didn't have a hard drive, just 2 5.25" floppies. Used to play the first Zork games on that PC! By the time we got the 286, Space Quest, and King's Quest were the games to play....used to spend hours and days playing those classic games. The 286 didn't have a hard drive either at first. We got that about 2 or 3 years later...a whopping 10 MB of space!!! it was great cuz you didn't have to keep switching diskettes playing KQ4 (which had a ridiculous number of game disks...i think it had 7 floppies).

good times!

yeah, i remember that awful switching of 5.25" diskettes playing prince of persia.

• 1 month later...
I still remember the units we used when i was enrolled in a kid computer class in the University of Life one summer. Genie series ata ung mga yun with casette tape and the monochrome screen :)

I remember this one dude. Nagenroll din ako dito during the summer of 85. Tapos bumili ng Apple II compatible ang erpats ko. At that time Apple ang sikat noon at maraming software applications noon for Apple. Dati dalawa lang ang binibilhan ko ng software either sa brochierre virra mall at ung isang computer store sa tabi ng Video Palace. Too bad around 1987 nag wane down ang apple. Mostly games at basic programming lang ginagawa ko dito. Tsaka ang gamit ko noon floppy disc na dalawa ang drive hehehe. Ang dami kong floppy noon. Mahilig kasi akong mangopya ng games noon. Binubura ko lang pagka natapos ko or sawa na ako sa game. Around 1988 tumigil ako sa computing for some reason di ko na nagamit ung Apple II. Ginamit ko lang minsan para tapusin ung larong Karateka hehehe. Nagka interes ulit ako sa computer noong 1989 bumili ng IBM PC XT ang erpats ko colored monitor pa nga ung gamit namin kasi 4 na kulay lang ang nalabas kung gusto mo ng 16 colors bibili ka ng EGA card (Extended Graphics Adapter) nakabili ako nyan sa hong kong na nung time na un palabas na ang VGA card w/c is now a standard for all computers. Ang gamit ko pa sa IBM ko noon na program DOS may windows na noon kaso wala lang hard drive kasi ung computer ko noon. Na virus din ako ng possessed virus at brain hehehe. That was my first time to encounter a virus. I used this computer just for playing games. Pero nagamit ko rin sya sa Thesis ko. My God I remember bringing a box of 5 1/4 of floppy to college kasi nandoon lahat ung thesis namin na ginawa ko sa Wordstar 6. Hahaha Mano mano pa naman ang Wordstar. In the early 90's bumili kami ng 286 IBM computer, doon ako unang nakasubok ng Windows 3.1 and later on Windows for Workgroups later on I upgraded to 386 DLC w/c is the worst computer I ever had. Later on pinalitan ko na sya ng 486 DX2. Tapos nag Pentium 100 na ako. Yung monitor ko na ginamit ko sa second PC w/c was made by ADI un ang niretain ko. Nagpapalit lang ako ng PC talaga. Later on from Pentium na punta ako sa Pentium II and then Pentium III. From windows 3.1 napunta ako sa 3.11 then Windows 95, 95 ver B 98, 98 SE, 2000, ME, XP and now Vista hahaha. Up to now yung P3 namin computer sa Pinas ginagamit pa rin ng dad ko. Win XP lang gamit nya and the 256 ung memory so far browsing, word processing lang sya kaya so far ok pa rin. Although plano kong i upgrade yon into Pentium Core 2 Duo or AMD Turion hehehe.

Naalala ko na muntik na akong magsawa sa computer. Nung bumili lang ako modem na 14.4 doon ako nagka interest ulit sa computing. At that time nag BBS ako. With the advent of the internet itong mga BBS parang halos nawala na. Boring kasing mag computer kung panay games ka lang at walang internet connection.

I used to have an Apple II when I was a kid.

Whenever you want to run a program, you enter a series of BASIC command like RUN, CATALOG, LIST... hehehe. I used to buy a programming book then that teaches you how to program a text-based adventure game.

Then came the old IBM XT. Naaasar ako nun kasi it was so foreign to me coming from an Apple II. Pero yun mga games niya mas maganda sa Apple II, so I switched to the IBM DOS environment na. After several years getting used to this "new" DOS, I was introduced to Windows 3.11. At the time asar din ako kasi ang bagal mag load ng Windows shell over DOS. Then came Win 95, and as usual naasar ako sa kanya kasi mas mabagal pa siya sa bootup time kaysa sa Windows 3.11. But I only switched to Windows 95 at the turn of the millennium na when I could afford (on my own) to buy the computer system required to run it.

Right now I'm still resisting switching over to Vista mainly because I don't like the idea of an OS stealing 3D graphics rendering resources (as well as RAM) from the system to run its own interface... eventually I'll have to switch na din after I've been convinced that it's stable na and that time that I can build the right system for it already.

• 4 weeks later...

From a computer museum featured in C/Net:

Commodore PET

Atari 400 and 800 with the casette tape drives, joysticks and game cartridges. Believe it or not, people were using this for business. Companies would run Visicalc to do their accounting on these things and they would really boost productivity of the accounting department. Tapos, dami pang game na pwede gamitin pag wala ang boss.

The Apple IIc with the one-bit, non-backlit, monochrome LCD display. Very rare. Only 10,000 were made because they made the owners go blind. Believe it or not, the screen was on when the picture was taken.

• 1 year later...