whats your favorite pastry and pastry shop...mine's Bizu at Greenbelt

from DSNAKE: I've always wanted to know where you can get the best desserts in Manila. I know different restaurants have their own specialties. Just write them all down... I'll try to visit them all. :) I myself love the bibingka in Manggan (Robinson's Galleria), the buko sherbet of Mann Hann *wrong spelling yata* (near Acropolis), the Molten Chocolate Cake of Chili's, halo-halo of ChowKing and Razon's (tied! for me), the hot fudge sundae of McDonald's. What else...?

MERGED THREADS

I am just curious...whats your favorite pastry (cake, pie, bread, cookie, etc.)  Thanks.

nice topic... being a professional in the food industry , i wont hesitate to draw first blood.

locally:

cakes - sugarhouse mango torte-creamy and marjolaine-nutty

bread - our baking industry is fully dependent on u.s./canadian/indian sources for wheat. and what we get are usually seconds in the harvest. with that i dont expect too much. beware though of so-called 'high-class' boulangers who claim to use imported flour. they once tried to import flour from china during the flour crisis in the 90's but quality was too bad and freshness was compromised and that was as far as it went. the best industrial flour locally would have to be el superior followed by wellington. it would be best not to use all-purpose flour sold in supermarkets as the gluten content is not enough to make quality breads.

there is a recent fad now of the singaporean 'bread talk'. the bread used there is not necessarily better than the local variety. their 'signature' meat floss bread is not even singaporean in origin but copied from taiwan. this kind of bread is found in every corner bakery in taipei. the flour they use is just of better quality. if anybody with an oven at home can source imported flour from U.S., i'll just teach you how to make it at home. the price they sell it for is unbelievably meteoric considering local prices of raw materials and labor.

bizu - for the sugarless pastries, the fresh fruit chibous, the chocolatier, even the entrees... yummmm.

manila pen - for the chocolatier, the lobby desserts.

shangri-la - for the cakes.

becky's kitchen - an institution.

hizon's - everything's just heavenly.

trio/pasto - very excellent dessert lineup.

mrs. yulo @ forbes - turtle pie, the chiffon cake with sauce!!! gastronomic orgasms in a box.

and...

my very good friend's revel bars and butterscotch.

:cool:

kakagutom naman this thread! talagang exact descriptions and names!

anyway, a few of my favorites include:

1. blueberry cheesecake from edsa shangrila

2. choco croissant from westin phil plaza

3. brownie's from becky's

4. empanada from red ribbon

5. mini choco cake from hungrypacc and makati shangrila

kakagutom naman this thread!  talagang exact descriptions and names!

anyway, a few of my favorites include:

1.  blueberry cheesecake from edsa shangrila

2.  choco croissant from westin phil plaza

3.  brownie's from becky's

4.  empanada from red ribbon

5.  mini choco cake from hungrypacc and makati shangrila

since we share the same passion for pastries why don't you try luscious in san juan, near greenhills for their cakes & sweets.

also i like polvoron of goldilocks

cake of estrelles

sylvanas, sambos of cafe ellysee (i think my spelling is all f**ked up...elysee ata or whatever! :upside: