Hepatitis B

dj25

hello to the doctors in these thread.

i just want to ask something regarding this disease.

i read that this disease is called a silent killer since the Hepa B virus, once acquired, have no symptoms of whatsoever unless it is already in the chronic stage. in fact, many people did not know that they already have this virus unless they undergo laboratory exam specifically to test this disease.

my questions are:

1. can these be treated if your already an adult, around late 20's? for how long?

2. can you transmit these to somebody else if he/she has already the antibodies?

thank you to all.

im 30 years old and was diagnosed to have chronic hepatitis b. right now there is no real cure for this, im taking baraclude to block the replication of virus. i have a wife and thank God she was not infected. Because she has hepa b vaccine. the best way para di mahawa wife mo and your kids is to have them vaccinated hepa b.

MODE OF TRANSMISSION

1. Percutaneous

· Transfusion

· Accidental needle stick: common in hospital

· Deliberate needle stick : drug abuse, ear pircing, tattooing, acupuncture

2. Non percutaneous

· Sexual contact

· Hemodialysis or renal transplant

· Blood splash in mouth or eyes

· Maternal-neonatal – 90% perinatal, 10% within womb or utero

· Similar to HIV, but HVB is more fastidious than HIV

· Can be transmitted thru kissing

unlike with hepa A...can get from contaminated food and water.

Edited by Maribel-R18

actually, it's not me who have hepa B. it's my brother.

i've already read a lot of article but still i'm concerned with by brother and my sister in law and my nephews. it's really hard coz my brother is not really sexually active to other persons. the doctor told him that this might be hereditary, now i'm kinda scared if i have it. i will go to the hospital next week to undergo labs exams. the problem also, is the price of the medicine. damn, it's really high 275 pesos for one tablet a day according to my brother for one months. and the doctor told him that medications would take years.

actually, it's not me who have hepa B. it's my brother.

i've already read a lot of article but still i'm concerned with by brother and my sister in law and my nephews. it's really hard coz my brother is not really sexually active to other persons. the doctor told him that this might be hereditary, now i'm kinda scared if i have it. i will go to the hospital next week to undergo labs exams. the problem also, is the price of the medicine. damn, it's really high 275 pesos for one tablet a day according to my brother for one months. and the doctor told him that medications would take years.

MODE OF TRANSMISSION

1. Percutaneous

· Transfusion (how about this)

· Accidental needle stick: common in hospital (is he at medical field like doctor, etc?)

· Deliberate needle stick : drug abuse, ear pircing, tattooing, acupuncture ( he did those?)

2. Non percutaneous

· Sexual contact (not active?)

· Hemodialysis or renal transplant (experience this thing?)

· Blood splash in mouth or eyes (how about this one?)

· Can be transmitted thru kissing (maybe he kiss somebody who has hepa b/ he used to drink alchol within a group using one glass only?)

· Accidental needle stick: common in hospital (is he at medical field like doctor, etc?)

· Hemodialysis or renal transplant (experience this thing?)

· Blood splash in mouth or eyes (how about this one?)

· Can be transmitted thru kissing (maybe he kiss somebody who has hepa b/ he used to drink alchol within a group using one glass only?)

the needle thing, if you are working in a hospital you can't be cleared without being injetced with hepa B vaccine.. so these leaves the error for it...

In hemo dialysis patients are then first being cleared off before undergoing such... a precuationary measure being undertaken.. I dont know for other hospitals...

kissing may be attributed if there is gum bleeding.. or if you have some kind of wound.. that would be a good reason..

now for the glass... It takes a high amount of antigen present in the body for the other person to be infected it.. more prone if you have a memeber of the family which is infected... sharing the same thigns every tday...

---the meds are really expensive, it helps prolong his life, and keeps the liver from deteriorating... although the kidney could be affected to... this is a common complications associated with when dealing with meds...

the only way to be prevented is have you, your children and other members to do an... HBsAg, anti-Hbc testing.... so that... if they are non reactive you can have them vaccinated... and have your booster shots. avery five years...

Yes, our body can build an auto-immune response and there are documented case of this, however, most people will not be able to mount a 100% effective antibody response thus the need for the vaccination.

The cost of the vaccination is worth the benefits that it provides. Remember that some of complications of this disease is Cirrhosis of the liver, Liver Cancer, & Fulminant Hepatitis.

• 2 months later...

Request for a Hepatitis B Profile Exams:

1. HBsAg (Hepatitis B surface Antigen) with titer

2. HBcAg (Hepa B core Antigen) with titer

3. Anti-HBs (Antibody Hepa B) with titer

4. HBeAg (hepa B envelope Antigen) with titer

To check your immunity and your possible need of Anti-Hepa B Vaccination.

Total cost: PhP 1,200 to PhP 1,500.00 for all the test.

Vaccine Cost: PhP 500 or more per shot

You are required to have a 3 shot within 3 months time plus BOOSTER SHOTS if the Anti-HBs in your body lowers down.

Booster Shot: No idea of how much here in the Philippines.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
D. Sanchez,

how long were you in the service?

5 years since October. I am already in my mid-20s. GI Bill is covered for U.S. Colleges and Universities. I am not sure if it is accredited if schools in the Philippines are accepted here except for University of the Philippines by the U.S. Veterans Affairs on this matter.

Masyadong maraming matalino sa UP. Hindi ko kayang pantayan ang mga utak ng UP med studs. Mga robot or cyborg na sila hindi na tao.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Question? how about if the husband has heppa and his wife had injected a anti virus. will their children be infected?

Yes, their children can be infected too. Better to complete the 3 dose vaccine plus boosters.... Cost 550 per vial. must be vaccinated on every three succeeding months plus booster vaccine in 6 months to 12 months.

For babies a few days old. Anti-Hepa vaccine are already available cost around 450 to 550 pesos per vial.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

help naman,,

eto results ng lab works..

HBsAg-reactive(276.46 s/n) undiluted

HBc Abs (total) 0.064 positive

HBe Ag 0.41 negative

HBe Abs 0.064 reactive

hepatitis B antibody 0.0 mIU/ml nonreactive

paki explain nga po kung ano ibig sabihin ng blood tessts na ito at ano ibig sabihin ng chronic hepatitis B.

is medication recommended?

thanks

• 3 weeks later...
help naman,,

eto results ng lab works..

HBsAg-reactive(276.46 s/n) undiluted

HBc Abs (total) 0.064 positive

HBe Ag 0.41 negative

HBe Abs 0.064 reactive

hepatitis B antibody 0.0 mIU/ml nonreactive

paki explain nga po kung ano ibig sabihin ng blood tessts na ito at ano ibig sabihin ng chronic hepatitis B.

is medication recommended?

thanks

ok. your tests show that you do have chronic hepatitis B, meaning that the virus has been there

for more than 6 months already. But yours is in an "inactive" state, so to speak. In layman's term, parang

quiet lang sha..

There is no need for treatment at this point. We consider certain criteria before we start a patient on treatment.

And yes, there are a lot of treatment options now available for chronic hep B.

In your case, i would recommend repeat SGPT and HbeAg / anti HBe after 3 or 6 months, just to check...

• 2 weeks later...
ok. your tests show that you do have chronic hepatitis B, meaning that the virus has been there

for more than 6 months already. But yours is in an "inactive" state, so to speak. In layman's term, parang

quiet lang sha..

There is no need for treatment at this point. We consider certain criteria before we start a patient on treatment.

And yes, there are a lot of treatment options now available for chronic hep B.

In your case, i would recommend repeat SGPT and HbeAg / anti HBe after 3 or 6 months, just to check...

angel by day--

anong criteria ang titignan ko para -- mag tratment ako.?

gaya ng sabi mo,sabi ng doctor ko>>>no treatment needed for me now...d

though i have to check my liver function--and abdomen ultrasound every six months?

can u please furher explain--which blood tests parameters do i have to monitor for me to have treatment?

salamat