Proud To Be Fat?

I really don't want to offend anybody with my statement... I'm just curious why people ... who are obviously have a larger body than the average sized people would say that they are proud to be fat rather than taking time to commit themselves in regualr exercise and diet..... did they lost their will to trim down or what? I used to be really fat when I felt that I need to trim down when I was in highschool.... kasi panget na nga ako then it would be complemented by my very big belly... kay todo exercise ako at diet.. pero not to the extent of torturing myself..... lahat ng tao pwde magpapayat ..... they just need time and determination.. pati discipline... pero bakit ang daming gustong maging large framed sila for life? Why? not to offend kasi marami din ako friends na large...

Alam mo, may mga friends akong matataba.. nahihirapan daw sila magpapayat eh. Mahina naman nga sila kumain.. siguro may sakit sila kaya ganun? :blink:

Is it really a choice? Baka naman wala lang talaga silang choice.. sinasabi na lang nilang masaya sila na mataba sila since tinanggap na lang nila na wala na silang pag-asang pumayat. :blink:

but everyone has a chance.... but the bigger you are the longer time you need..... all they need to do is take 15 mins of they their day to cardio and fuse it with their daily lifestyle.... gawin nilang routine .... kasi pag nagfocus clang maigi.. na dedepress agad sila kasi walang masyadong resulta...... cguro within a year.. makikita nila ung resulta...... kapag nagawa nilang daily habit ... di na nila mapapansin na nag eexercise sila kasi nasanay na ung katawan nilang gawin lagi un..... db? ewan ko lang kasi sayang...... pero... it's still their choice.... :upside:

some people are genetically predisposed to carrying more weight than they should. it might be because of a slower metabolic rate, or a thyroid problem, or a hormonal thing.

but despite that, obesity is also a sickness. it's a behavioral problem that can be treated, if addressed. there's emotional and binge eating and other eating disorders.

however, whether being plus-sized is a choice or not, it really shouldn't matter, should it? society puts too much premium on physical appearances already. there is so much pressure all around us to be a certain body type. i say, to each his own. if you don't like large people and don't understand their lifestyle, then fine. if you can look beyond their appearance and maybe see that they're beautiful anyway, that's even better.

but no one should lord it over anyone else just because he lost weight and now looks great. it's unnecessary. and pointless.

body type has no bearing on what kind of person you can be. i've met many large people who are the most confident, fabulous beings ever. and i've also met skinny people who take laxatives, puke their meals and end up fainting on the gym floor because they've been working out to no end. as long as you're happy in your body, whatever shape it is, and accepting of everything that you are and at peace with that--that is all that matters.

Fair enough question? I think not. At its heart are the eroticism in seeing great bodies and the solicitation of interest by the owners. Sexual. As someone put it, "in societies where a yardstick of beauty is high" (read: must be slim), I can see how this puts unnecessary and unfair stress, mental and physical, on those who are, well, fat. Fortunately, this assumed appeal is not universal. There are many places in the world where 'being big is beautiful'.

So, maybe the thread title should be a declaration instead: "Proud to be fat. Why you should be".

Ain't diversity a wonderful thing? So is free will. People come in all shapes and sizes, and are unique in every possible way. Viewing people in a specific manner can narrow our perspective, somewhat. It's like putting people under a certain category; a pigeonhole, if you will. When we start referring to people by the way they look, that can prove offensive---even if it was never the intention, to begin with. I know you wish to promote a healthy lifestyle; a worthy endeavor, indeed. It doesn't have to be at the expense of another person or group of persons, though. The topic squarely targets people who are labeled thusly. The word "lifestyle," in itself, denotes preferences. We must learn to respect each other's choices, regardless of how we feel about it.

(I'm just sharing my own opinion---one of the many views a person may have, but I hope it makes sense.)

Edited by Manticore
I really don't want to offend anybody with my statement... I'm just curious why people ... who are obviously have a larger body than the average sized people would say that they are proud to be fat rather than taking time to commit themselves in regualr exercise and diet..... did they lost their will to trim down or what?  I used to be really fat when I felt that I need to trim down when I was in highschool.... kasi panget na nga ako then it would be complemented by my very big belly...  kay todo exercise ako at diet.. pero not to the extent of torturing myself.....  lahat ng tao pwde magpapayat ..... they just need time and determination.. pati discipline... pero bakit ang daming gustong maging large framed sila for life? Why? not to offend kasi marami din ako friends na large...

For many, it's a matter of comfort. If you ask proud fat people if they're proud because of their size, they'll probably say no and tell you that they're proud because of their other qualities. Speaking from experience (I was 220 lbs and I am 5'9), I believe proud fat people don't think they are fat because of their high self esteem. When I was 220, people kept on telling me that I was getting big (a nice way of saying I was fat) but everytime I looked in the mirror I was happy with my appearance. I definitely felt, and still do, that what I have "inside" is worth more than what my "cover" shows.

I now weigh 187 lbs and I'm trying to get to 170 lbs (167 is the maximum healty weight for my height and body type). I am trying to loose weight more for my health than for my appearance. My mom is diabetic and I believe excess weight is a contributing factor. Furthermore, I like playing sports and my knees started hurting. It doesn't take a genius to realize that the extra weight has become a burden on my knees. Furthermore, experiencing discomfort in my chest area and my physician's not finding the cause reinforced my belief that the extra weight had something to do with my aches and pains.

Now that I have lost some weight, I am no more and no less proud as I was when I was very heavy. I, however, catch some women, who never looked at me when I was rotund, taking peaks my way. It's unfortunate but the reality of our "Madison Avenue" driven western world is that "normal" is beautiful. I'd be lying if I didn't admit that I too am infected with this mindset; I usually don't initially find women who are more than 15 lbs over or under weight sexually appealing (of course, there are exceptions). It's a testament to my gigantic ego that I never thought I was sexually un-attractive to a majority of women when I was 50 lbs. overweight. And what drives my ego is my character, my personality, and my sense of humor.

So if you're fat and you're happy with yourself, more power to you. If you're not fat and you're wondering what these fat folks are proud of, then I'd like to remind you that there's more to all of us than our physical appearance.

i am not fat.... so i am not telling this to defend myself.

but imho, may mga taong pinanganak talagang mataba. and to tell you what i feel about it, wala... what is important is maski mataba ka is you are fit to do what you are supposed to do, yung mga activities mo and as such.... ngayon, kung nakakaistorbo na yan sa daily routine mo and that you feel you cannot do the things you are supposed to do because your weight hinders you, then it is up to you to do what is best to remedy it... pwede kang mag gym, pwede kang mag pa lipo, etc.

and of course, if your health calls for it, then you have to do something about it.

let me tell you my story.... (medyo related eh...)

i'm 5'8", used to play college department basketball (eng'g - UST) as point guard. i used to weigh 150 pounds when i was in college. used to have a 30" waistline.

nung nag trabaho, weight ballooned to 245 pounds, dahil sa sobrang stress sa work, wala na akong ginawa kundi uminom ng beer, kumain ng kanin (used to average 3 cups of rice/meal), uminom ng coke, maupo sa table and matulog paguwi ng bahay. BP even rose to an average of 150/100 (which i think is borderline for hypertensive). resting heart rate is 130 bpm. waistline is 42". lived that kind of live for almost three years, until......

sa annual physical checkup sa office, nagulat yung doktor sa results ng exam ko, considering i'm 28 years old then. yung isang ka jamming ko dito sa office, na mild stroke na, and he was only 32. tapos ame yung lifestyle namin. yung company doctor told me na if i really don't change my lifestyle immediately, i will be dead by age 34.

syempre, natakot ako, considering i have a 2 year old son. and what i did was history.... hehehehe. after doing extreme cardio exercises, and eating just green salads and fruits for almost a month, weight fell down to 200 pounds, waistline shrunk to 38". took hydroxycut for a month, and eating sensibly (normal, but controlled food), weight feel down to 180 pounds... but bulked up by lifting weights so weight, climbed to 185 lbs. waistline fell to 36".

that came within two years of religously working out and eating sensibly.

ngayon, i''m on my cutting stage (dahil i feel, i am a little bit too bulked up), i weigh 176 pounds, waistline is 34.5" . resting heart rate is 80 bpm, and normal BP is 110/70. i feel good about myself and my health is ok.

all in all, after three years, weight fell by 69 pounds, waistline fell by 8 inches.

moral of the story: if you have the discipline to do it, then you see results. if you are driven to do it, then do it and if your health calls for it, then you have to do it....

disadvantage: ang gastos sa wardrobe.... hehehe, but that is another story and concern.

and oh, i forgot... hindi important and size mo....ang importante kung pano mo sya dalahin tsaka yung ugali mo....

macho ka nga, sama naman ng ugali mo, ganun din. hehehehehe.

Edited by Google

"What is essential is invisible to the eye."

Sabi nga sa isang text message dati.. mas importante daw ang pangloob na kaanyuan... ang catch dun (sabi rin sa text), yan daw ang usually sinasabi ng mga pangit! hahaha! :D Anyway, agree naman ako na mas importante talaga ang pangloob na kaanyuan blah.. blah.. blah :cool:

BUT.. we also need to accept the FACT that good looks matter. It's a reality that if you're fat, less people would take notice of you (or worse, nobody would even notice you at all). Being fat is less attractive... that's the reason why there are slimming tablets, lyposuction, gyms, etc. Wala namang fattening tablets di ba or kung meron man, I'm sure hindi malaki ang market share nun.

I'll give you one example why it is better to be trim (aside from health reasons of course). Yun isang girl friend ko na mataba, palagi syang nahuhuli ng pulis at naglalagay sya para di makuha license nya. I told her na wag maglagay, gamitin nya ang charm nya.. pero wala pa rin daw epekto. Ako.. kahit ilang beses na ko nahuli.. never pa ko naglagay kase nadadaan ko sa "charm" yung pulis. Nang malaman nya yun.. magpapapayat na daw sya dahil napaka-unfair naman daw talaga ng mundo.

Hindi naman sa ini-small natin ang matataba. Napapag-usapan lang kase nga meron naman tayo dapat na choice. Yun iba nga lang talaga, ang alam ko nasa genes na nila yun kaya wala na talagang choice.. pero ganun nga ba yun? Di ba lagi naman nga tayong may choice?

Speaking of attitude... kung maganda na ang katawan at mukha mo, maganda pa ang kalooban mo... bah.. dreamgirl/boy ka na! :P Eh kung maganda lang ang katawan mo? Attractive pa rin di ba.. kahit pangit ang mukha mo, dami pa ring magnanasa sa yo.. sabi nga ng guy friend ko, takpan na lang daw ng sako.. hahaha! (term yata dun "hipon"?) :D :blink: Pero pag mataba ka, kailangan mo pang ipakita ang mabuti mong kalooban para lang mapansin ka. Masama talaga at pangit pakinggan pero yun ang katotohanan.

Kaya tara na mag-exercise at maging healthy!

I'm not saying that you need to be really thin...... all I'm implying is that we all just need to reach that normal size and weight... kung large built ka.... mas mukha ka talagang malaki pero at least kung physically fit ka.... healthy ka na , maganda pang tingnan.... bakit di natin subukan lahat mag trim down... wala namang mawawala..... benefits mo din naman,,, kung ayaw mo naman... well that's your life ..... :cool:

"What is essential is invisible to the eye." 

Sabi nga sa isang text message dati.. mas importante daw ang pangloob na kaanyuan... ang catch dun (sabi rin sa text), yan daw ang usually sinasabi ng mga pangit! hahaha! :D  Anyway, agree naman ako na mas importante talaga ang pangloob na kaanyuan blah.. blah.. blah  :cool:

BUT.. we also need to accept the FACT that good looks matter.  It's a reality that if you're fat, less people would take notice of you (or worse, nobody would even notice you at all).  Being fat is less attractive... that's the reason why there are slimming tablets, lyposuction, gyms, etc.  Wala namang fattening tablets di ba or kung meron man, I'm sure hindi malaki ang market share nun.

I'll give you one example why it is better to be trim (aside from health reasons of course).  Yun isang girl friend ko na mataba, palagi syang nahuhuli ng pulis at naglalagay sya para di makuha license nya. I told her na wag maglagay, gamitin nya ang charm nya.. pero wala pa rin daw epekto.  Ako.. kahit ilang beses na ko nahuli.. never pa ko naglagay kase nadadaan ko sa "charm" yung pulis.  Nang malaman nya yun.. magpapapayat na daw sya dahil napaka-unfair naman daw talaga ng mundo.

Hindi naman sa ini-small natin ang matataba.  Napapag-usapan lang kase nga meron naman tayo dapat na choice.  Yun iba nga lang talaga, ang alam ko nasa genes na nila yun kaya wala na talagang choice.. pero ganun nga ba yun?  Di ba lagi naman nga tayong may choice?

Speaking of attitude... kung maganda na ang katawan at mukha mo, maganda pa ang kalooban mo... bah.. dreamgirl/boy ka na! :P  Eh kung maganda lang ang katawan mo? Attractive pa rin di ba.. kahit pangit ang mukha mo, dami pa ring magnanasa sa yo.. sabi nga ng guy friend ko, takpan na lang daw ng sako.. hahaha! (term yata dun "hipon"?) :D :blink:  Pero pag mataba ka, kailangan mo pang ipakita ang mabuti mong kalooban para lang mapansin ka. Masama talaga at pangit pakinggan pero yun ang katotohanan.

Kaya tara na mag-exercise at maging healthy!

instead of advising your friend that, why didn't you just tell her to drive better? why do you have to rub it in her face that you get ahead in the world because you're slimmer?

if she's really your friend, should you even make distinctions about her looks?

i don't think it's proper to refer to someone i consider a friend as "yung girl friend ko na mataba".

how insulting. you speak of having a good attitude when you seem to be lacking one yourself.

yes, looks are important in this world. and it's made all the more important by people like you.

I'm not saying that you need to be really thin......  all I'm implying is that we all just need to reach that normal size and weight... kung large built ka.... mas mukha ka talagang malaki pero at least kung physically fit ka....  healthy ka na , maganda pang tingnan.... bakit di natin subukan lahat mag trim down... wala namang mawawala..... benefits mo din naman,,,  kung ayaw mo naman... well that's your life .....  :cool:

all that you're implying is that "we all just need to reach that normal size and weight".

we NEED to?

as in, we absolutely must reach our normal weight?

or else what?

you know they have a term for your train of thought. marcos had that and look what happened to him.

Edited by missmanners

Missmanners, I didn't mean to offend you with my post. I'm sorry if you were fat and you got so touchy about this topic. :blink:

As for my girlfriend.. yes, we are friends. True friends shouldn't be pretentious. If you're fat (and you're my friend), I'll tell it straight to your face that you're out of shape.. why? .. because I care. Not because I want my friend to look good (bonus na lang yun actually).. I want her to be healthy too! Now, if you're only Missmanners.. I don't care if you pig yourself out and get fat.. why?.. because I don't care.

I just posted my views regarding the topic.. I don't think you have the right to crucify me for it just because we didn't have the same views.

I'm not even slim.. sexy lang siguro.. hahahaha! :lol:

And puhleeeez... you're acting like Marcos yourself... you're bullying me! Nanghahamon ka ba ng away? Sorry, di kita papatulan. :)

Welcome to the real world missmanners! Nakarinig ka na ba ng "wow! ang taba!".. di ba wala namang ganun? Harsh it may seem.. pero ganun talaga yun. And yes... I'm rubbing that in. B)

(OT): Peeves, fully booked na ko this weekend.. next weekend siguro pwede na ko ulit mag-boxing. Pahiramin mo na lang ako ng gloves mo.. hehehe :P

By the way, yun post ko, it doesn't mean na walang karapatan ang mga matataba na matawag na attractive. Ang ibig ko lang kseng sabihin.. mas marami talaga advantage pag hindi ka oversize.. mas malaki yun chance mo na mapansin or matawag na attractive. Marami naman akong kakilala na mataba pero maganda ang mga mukha. Pero sila mismo, nire-resent nilang mataba sila.

Ikaw missmanners, di ba nagsa-South Beach Diet ka ngayon? Bat gusto mo rin magpapayat?

Yun lang. B)

Missmanners, I didn't mean to offend you with my post.  I'm sorry if you were fat and you got so touchy about this topic.  :blink:

As for my girlfriend.. yes, we are friends.  True friends shouldn't be pretentious.  If you're fat (and you're my friend), I'll tell it straight to your face that you're out of shape.. why? .. because I care.  Not because I want my friend to look good (bonus na lang yun actually).. I want her to be healthy too!  Now, if you're only Missmanners.. I don't care if you pig yourself out and get fat.. why?.. because I don't care. 

I just posted my views regarding the topic.. I don't think you have the right to crucify me for it just because we didn't have the same views.

I'm not even slim.. sexy lang siguro.. hahahaha! :lol:

And puhleeeez... you're acting like Marcos yourself... you're bullying me! Nanghahamon ka ba ng away?  Sorry, di kita papatulan. :)

Welcome to the real world missmanners! Nakarinig ka na ba ng "wow! ang taba!".. di ba wala namang ganun? Harsh it may seem.. pero ganun talaga yun.  And yes... I'm rubbing that in.  B)

(OT): Peeves, fully booked na ko this weekend.. next weekend siguro pwede na ko ulit mag-boxing. Pahiramin mo na lang ako ng gloves mo.. hehehe :P

By the way, yun post ko, it doesn't mean na walang karapatan ang mga matataba na matawag na attractive.  Ang ibig ko lang kseng sabihin.. mas marami talaga advantage pag hindi ka oversize.. mas malaki yun chance mo na mapansin or matawag na attractive.  Marami naman akong kakilala na mataba pero maganda ang mga mukha.  Pero sila mismo, nire-resent nilang mataba sila.

Ikaw missmanners, di ba nagsa-South Beach Diet ka ngayon? Bat gusto mo rin magpapayat?

Yun lang.  B)

hindi mo ako papatulan?

:lol:

miss black cat, i think you just cemented your argument with these past two posts.

my views have nothing to do with my own life... i feel that there is a discrimination being committed to people in this country where thin is in, pale skin is fashionable and ironed out hair is attractive. i will stand up for these views because i don't believe that anyone should be persecuted for how they look.

i understand it when people go out of their way to voice out their concerns about health. but when the argument turns into the "thinner people get more out of life" angle, then i think i have a right to say that this is wrong.

i don't mean to preach nor do i mean to persecute anyone here. but there is something inherently wrong in what is being discussed here. and it has raised my ire and a few others who have posted before me.

in a society that does not make room to allow people to be comfortable and proud in their own skin, whatever skin this is, whatever size this comes in, i'm doing every bit i can to fight against it. i was just surprised that even here, online, where we only have our words and thoughts to represent us, physicality still takes precedent.

i hope this will be the last post i'll ever have to make regarding this issue. let me leave those who read this with one point: accept yourself. whatever size you are, however you look, love begins by loving yourself. when you learn to drown out negative comments that will only bring pain and hurt, and learn to appreciate everything that you've been given and sharing happiness with others in return, then that is a life worth living.

i wish everyone can have this.

I'm chubby. At least that's what I think. This pretty much means I'm somewhere between fat and thin, but I've got "more skin" than I need on my bones. (Yeeeaaaaahhhh.... Riiiiiggggghhhttttt...)

In any case, I used to be thin, but people said I needed to gain weight. Now, I gained weight, but I get mixed reactions... Eeeewaaaannnn.....