Philosphy: What Are Your Beliefs/ideology?

On 5/28/2018 at 9:46 PM, bonkeroo said:

The belief in ZEN

Good exists because there's evil.

Not sure I've attained zen, but mediation has put me in a state close to it. And I believe true prayer will takes us to a zen like state, as well.

And vice versa. We know the darkness because of the light. But this philosophy runs the risk of turning a blind eye to evil. The contrast exists, but evil should be combatted whenever we can.

On 5/28/2018 at 12:36 PM, houndjock said:

I'm agnostic. Whether there's a God or not is of no concern to me. I believe that doing good or helping others does not need a concept of reward (heaven) or punishment (hell). We can all be humane just by being so.

Agree. Goodness is it's own reward. The peace it brings our community is a reward as well.

We do have innate morals that can be cultivated outside of religious beliefs.

On 5/5/2018 at 8:08 AM, glyr said:

I believe that you can do whatever you want as long as you don't step on other people and are responsible for your own actions and consequences that entails after and a good deed goes a long way.

Agreed.

Your right to swing your arms about ends at the other person's nose. Let's be free and do no harm.

On 7/8/2017 at 5:36 AM, sanchezZZZzz said:

Relationship with God is better than religion

Agree. Relationship with God is intimate and personal and cannot be taken away or labeled. Religion is a set of rules made by people long ago that are long dead, imposing rules on a society they couldn't even conceive of.

Women have rights now. Diseases aren't evil spirits. We can communicate with people on the other side of the world.

I respect religion, religious tradition, and religious people and their views, but I shake my head when they impose rules that were made long ago without understanding that times have changed. The Catholic church is still against the use of condoms. Wow. (Unless I missed a Pope Francis update)

On 7/7/2017 at 2:31 AM, golpidegolat said:

I'd rather be known as someone who is kind than someone who is religious.

As it turns out, hindi religion at tindi ng faith mo ang makapagsasabi o makapagdidikta kung isa kang mabuting tao but your actions.

Some people only use religion as their redemption and/or excuse to sin.

Their logic would be:

"Gumawa ako ng masama, ipagdadasal ko para mapatawad ako at matanggap pa rin ako sa langit. For sure mapapatawad naman ako kasi nagdasal ako ngayon."

instead of

"Gumawa ako ng masama, hangga't maaari ay hindi ko na uulitin at hihingi ng tawad sa taong naatraso ko. Ipapakita at ipaparamdam ko na nagsisisi ako sa nagawa kong kasalanan at hangga't maaari ay babawi ako."

Nicely put. While it's not all religious people, I think we've all met someone or know someone like this.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/3/2023 at 3:43 PM, Edmund Dantes said:

Money is artificial. It is important, you should try to make as much of it, but at the end of the day, it is artificial. It entertains you but it will not buy you happiness.

I went through severe depression which nearly killed me. But this is the most important lesson I have learned through this very dark phase in my life.

At that time, I was splurging on anything I fancied. I was spending money on expensive restaurant even though I would later threw up what I ate because my digestive system was not working properly. I bought and expensive watch which is now just sitting in my closet (I haven't used it really).

It was then that I realized, that while money was entertaining me, the constant chest pain was still there. I could have received a vault full of cash and I would still feel that awful each morning. In fact, I would have given every cent I have if it meant for 5 minutes I did not feel the way I did.

It took really a while for me to get out of that abyss. After this, I started trying to serve a purpose higher than myself.  I continued with my profession not so much aiming for monetary reward, but rather focusing on just giving it the best I could.

Amazing insight.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/23/2024 at 10:32 PM, nlfan said:

Agnostic Atheist

Agnostic and Atheist, is two different believes, Agnostic is the belief of there is a God but but your are not acknowlegde his presence, but Atheist is the belief of totally there is not a higher being. 

• 2 weeks later...