Your First Million - Inspirational Stories

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

If in pesos, then I made my first million when I was 28. With my present job, I make an average of around P1.2M every three months. But since I work and spend abroad, it's just enough for one to live comfortably in a city considered to be one of the most expensive in the world.

Edited by cuatro_ojos
the peso to dollar exchange rate was 26 pesos to 1 dollar in 1997 just before the Asian crisis, for your information. check out the facts.

That's true, but for the longest time (starting from the mid to late 1980s) the USD was hovering around Php 26 to 28, which was why by the mid-90s there were already warnings that the peso was overvalued.

• 2 weeks later...

I just want to share the following article on how some people never get rich. Though written in the States, there are still a number of tips you may find very helpful:

TheStreet.com

10 Reasons You Aren't Rich

Thursday March 22, 11:30 am ET

ByJeffrey Strain, Special to TheStreet.com

The reason why you aren't a millionaire (or on your way to becoming one) is really quite simple. You probably assume it's because you aren't earning enough money, but the truth is that for most people, whether or not you become a millionaire has very little to do with the amount of money you make. It's the way that you treat money in your daily life.

Here are 10 possible reasons you aren't a millionaire:

1. You Care What Your Neighbors Think: If you're competing against them and their material possessions, you're wasting your hard-earned money on toys to impress them instead of building your wealth.

2. You Aren't Patient: Until the era of credit cards, it was difficult to spend more than you had. That is not the case today. If you have credit card debt because you couldn't wait until you had enough money to purchase something in cash, you are making others wealthy while keeping yourself in debt.

3. You Have Bad Habits: Whether it's smoking, drinking, gambling or some other bad habit, the habit is using up a lot of money that could go toward building wealth. Most people don't realize that the cost of their bad habits extends far beyond the immediate cost. Take smoking, for example: It costs a lot more than the pack of cigarettes purchased. It also negatively affects your wealth in the form of higher insurance rates and decreased value of your home.

4. You Have No Goals: It's difficult to build wealth if you haven't taken the time to know what you want. If you haven't set wealth goals, you aren't likely to attain them. You need to do more than state, "I want to be a millionaire." You need to take the time to set saving and investing goals on a yearly basis and come up with a plan for how to achieve those goals.

5. You Haven't Prepared: Bad things happen to the best of people from time to time, and if you haven't prepared for such a thing to happen to you through insurance, any wealth that you might have built can be gone in an instant.

6. You Try to Make a Quick Buck: For the vast majority of us, wealth doesn't come instantly. You may believe that people winning the lottery are a dime a dozen, but the truth is you're far more likely to get struck by lightning than win the lottery. This desire to get rich quickly likely extends into the way you invest, with similar results.

7. You Rely on Others to Take Care of Your Money: You believe that others have more knowledge about money matters, and you rely exclusively on their judgment when deciding where you should invest your money. Unfortunately, most people want to make money themselves, and this is their primary objective when they tell you how to invest your money. Listen to other people's advice to get new ideas, but in the end you should know enough to make your own investing decisions.

8. You Invest in Things You Don't Understand: Your hear that Bob has made a lot of money doing it, and you want to get in on the gravy train. If Bob really did make money, he did so because he understood how the investment worked. Throwing in your money because someone else has made money without fully understanding how the investment works will keep you from being wealthy.

9. You're Financially Afraid: You are so scared of risk that you keep all your money in a savings account that is actually losing money when inflation is put into the equation, yet you refuse to move it to a place where higher rates of return are possible because you're afraid that you will lose money.

10. You Ignore Your Finances: You take the attitude that if you make enough, the finances will take care of themselves. If you currently have debt, it will somehow resolve itself in the future. Unfortunately, it takes planning to become wealthy. It doesn't magically happen to the vast majority of people.

In reality, it is probably not just one of the above bad habits that has kept you from becoming a millionaire, but a combination of a few of them. Take a hard look at the list, and do some reflecting. If you want to be a millionaire, it's well within your power, but you'll have to face the issues that are currently keeping you from creating that wealth before you will have a chance to call yourself one.

Edited by willow_boy

I have earn my 1st million on my late 20 it take a long time , since most of my earning go back to investment and expansion of my business it really take year but after that is really history. Is just the decipline of one self to set the goal saving it and not using it to a lot of non sense buying. usually I set target that only 30-40% of my earning will be use and the rest to a good investment or to realty just to save it from depreciating . is just alot of hard work money don't come easy so need to have good investment.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm interested in investing in US stocks. I do have a US bank account with around $10k. I want to invest at least half of it. I'm still here in Manila finishing my degree, though.

How do I start?

I suggest start with an index mutual fund.

• 2 weeks later...

made my first million the traditional way...through sheer hard work and determination and being honest with my customers.

when i started my business, i worked 18 houres a day, now business is more stable, i work only 16 hours a day. when i started, i couldn't afford to hire a helper, so i had to do deliveries myself, i was carrying real heavy merchandise, veins were showing on my neck when i carry these merchandise, and my hands were trembling when i go home each night. but that is history. now i have 10 workers to help me, and i am able to enjoy life a little...and i am happy.

• 4 weeks later...

I made my first business success while i was still in school. The laws in my country were changing, and a business oppurtunite was clear to me. Because of my age (i think i was 18-19) many people doubted my ability to run a company.

However they could not stop me (by law) from trying. So i did. And it really worked out. Today i still own the company, but im not running it. So i have all the time working on new projects.

My advise for you guys is to open you're eyes. There's always business oppurtunities for those who can see them.

For exampel i was just talking with a friend over a drink about a year ago. He was complaing as always! :P He was talking about a problem he had, and from that problem i saw an solution. From that conversation grew our new project. I made him my partner, not because im a good guy, although i like to flatter myself that i am :hypocritesmiley: , but because he has lots of experience to offer the project.

Belive in yourself and you're ideas. But don't be foolish. Don't go in to business with a "evertything will work out" attitude when you know that you're idea has several ,for lack of a better word, errors. Its frustraiting when its happens. But you just have to keep on writing different ideas and save that one until perhaps later, when the conditions are better.

Don't expect others to do things for you! I meet people all the time who expect others to everything for them. They ask me for ideas, if you had ideas you probably would go through with them yourself. Wouldnt you?

Well, thats all for now folks! haha

Best wishes

// a bored Cucho

I just want to share the following article on how some people never get rich. Though written in the States, there are still a number of tips you may find very helpful:

TheStreet.com

The reason why you aren't a millionaire (or on your way to becoming one) is really quite simple. You probably assume it's because you aren't earning enough money, but the truth is that for most people, whether or not you become a millionaire has very little to do with the amount of money you make. It's the way that you treat money in your daily life.

1. You Care What Your Neighbors Think: If you're competing against them and their material possessions, you're wasting your hard-earned money on toys to impress them instead of building your wealth.

2. You Aren't Patient: Until the era of credit cards, it was difficult to spend more than you had. That is not the case today. If you have credit card debt because you couldn't wait until you had enough money to purchase something in cash, you are making others wealthy while keeping yourself in debt.

3. You Have Bad Habits: Whether it's smoking, drinking, gambling or some other bad habit, the habit is using up a lot of money that could go toward building wealth. Most people don't realize that the cost of their bad habits extends far beyond the immediate cost. Take smoking, for example: It costs a lot more than the pack of cigarettes purchased. It also negatively affects your wealth in the form of higher insurance rates and decreased value of your home.

4. You Have No Goals: It's difficult to build wealth if you haven't taken the time to know what you want. If you haven't set wealth goals, you aren't likely to attain them. You need to do more than state, "I want to be a millionaire." You need to take the time to set saving and investing goals on a yearly basis and come up with a plan for how to achieve those goals.

5. You Haven't Prepared: Bad things happen to the best of people from time to time, and if you haven't prepared for such a thing to happen to you through insurance, any wealth that you might have built can be gone in an instant.

6. You Try to Make a Quick Buck: For the vast majority of us, wealth doesn't come instantly. You may believe that people winning the lottery are a dime a dozen, but the truth is you're far more likely to get struck by lightning than win the lottery. This desire to get rich quickly likely extends into the way you invest, with similar results.

7. You Rely on Others to Take Care of Your Money: You believe that others have more knowledge about money matters, and you rely exclusively on their judgment when deciding where you should invest your money. Unfortunately, most people want to make money themselves, and this is their primary objective when they tell you how to invest your money. Listen to other people's advice to get new ideas, but in the end you should know enough to make your own investing decisions.

8. You Invest in Things You Don't Understand: Your hear that Bob has made a lot of money doing it, and you want to get in on the gravy train. If Bob really did make money, he did so because he understood how the investment worked. Throwing in your money because someone else has made money without fully understanding how the investment works will keep you from being wealthy.

9. You're Financially Afraid: You are so scared of risk that you keep all your money in a savings account that is actually losing money when inflation is put into the equation, yet you refuse to move it to a place where higher rates of return are possible because you're afraid that you will lose money.

10. You Ignore Your Finances: You take the attitude that if you make enough, the finances will take care of themselves. If you currently have debt, it will somehow resolve itself in the future. Unfortunately, it takes planning to become wealthy. It doesn't magically happen to the vast majority of people.

In reality, it is probably not just one of the above bad habits that has kept you from becoming a millionaire, but a combination of a few of them. Take a hard look at the list, and do some reflecting. If you want to be a millionaire, it's well within your power, but you'll have to face the issues that are currently keeping you from creating that wealth before you will have a chance to call yourself one.

This is so true. I've made my first Million a few years back and a lot of the things I've learned matches with everything listed here... but what this fails to do is tell people what they need to do next

• 2 weeks later...

TheStreet.com

I agree with these...

Very inspiring...

Earned my 1st Million when i was 26 yrs. old (4 yrs. ago)

:)

• 1 month later...

I think a Million Peso is not much money now a day. It's just enough to buy a midsize car. Well it depends on how old the person is and his staus in life when he start to earn his first million. I think the question should be more specific like How I earn my first Million Dollars or better yet, how I earn my first 100,000 dollars.

• 2 weeks later...
made my first million the traditional way...through sheer hard work and determination and being honest with my customers.

when i started my business, i worked 18 houres a day, now business is more stable, i work only 16 hours a day. when i started, i couldn't afford to hire a helper, so i had to do deliveries myself, i was carrying real heavy merchandise, veins were showing on my neck when i carry these merchandise, and my hands were trembling when i go home each night. but that is history. now i have 10 workers to help me, and i am able to enjoy life a little...and i am happy.

nice one :thumbsupsmiley:

Mga kapatid,

Salamat dun sa mga nag-share ng kuwento. Mas motivational talaga, at yun yata ang kailangan ng mga kapwa natin (tulad ko). Sana dun sa mga ibang magpo-post na kumita na ng 1M eh mag-share kung anong ginawa nila at anong payo ang mabibigay nila sa ibang tao, di lang yung kung anong trabaho nila o kaya kung anong edad sila kumita.

I think 1M is still a viable landmark for financial achievement to shoot for. Maybe not 1M in your pocket per se, though. I'd like to be able to put 1M somewhere where it's working for me, whether in real estate, fund investments, stocks, etc.

Let me see .......

started working in 1991 as a lowly associate in a law firm ......

in 1996, I was surprised to find out my annual net income for the year crossed the million mark ......

so, cumulatively speaking, I earned my first million in 1996 ! ...... out of being an underpaid, overworked, burned out lawyer :P

..... but if we're talking about one single instance of a one million peso check made out in my name, then that would be in 2004!

..... sa sobrang excited ko, I deposited the check to my current account then issued a 1 million check to myself which I deposited back to my account ..... para lang may souvenir ako of a duly negotiated 1 million check in my name ...... naka-frame sya ngayon sa office! :D

..... after that, as henry sy said, the next ones were no longer hard to come by :hypocritesmiley: