647 replies to this topic

#1 jobim

jobim

Looker

• (03) Newbie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 12:08 AM

Right now I'm listening to Miles Davis play "My Funny Valentine". Hayop tumugtog tong mamang to, ang galing, ang sarap, nakaka-high. Sana kahit katiting lang ng talent niya meron ako.

Kung papipiliin ako kung gusto ko maging poging accountant o panget na jazz virtuoso, siyempre don na ko sa poging accountant... hehe.. but seriously, I had dreams of becoming a jazz artist but I decided to take the more practical career path. Tuloy napunta ako sa IT industry -- araw araw, buong araw nakatutok sa computer, tapos may MTC pa sa gabi... but I'm not complaining. I get to listen to good music everyday, and that keeps me sane.

All jazz fans, share your love for the music! Whether it be mainstream, fusion, bossa nova, swing, bop, experimental, acoustic, electric, instrumental, solo, big-band, anything, just post it here!

#2 BlackWizard

BlackWizard

Chevalier Vampire!!!

• (09) Manic Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3282 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 06:44 PM

I like Lee Ritenour, George Ginda & Cielli Minucci...

The Rippingtons & YellowJackets as well...

#3 starbuck911

starbuck911

Cutie

• (05) Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 01:59 AM

Finally, someone besides me mentions Miles. :cool:

Hope there are enough members from MTC who have a "jazz" side after all...but we won't know till they share their passion (if any) here. So c'mon, MTC people! It won't mean a thing if you ain't got that swing!

In the meantime, I'll notify another music "head" I know in here. We'll be anxious to see what other responses you get, but expect the worst.

Having said that, suportado ka namin! Good luck pare!

#4 hitomi

hitomi

Lover

• (06) Chronic Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1217 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 10:35 AM

have a question:

is bossa nova jazz? or is it a whole different kind of music?

i ask this because some singers are classified in both genres. for example,
Gabriela Anders.

#5 bods1000

bods1000

garagiste....

• (13) Giga Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12268 posts
  • Interests:music, travel lit, anything cerebral but i also get down and dirty.

Posted 01 August 2006 - 12:57 PM

Now isn't that amazing? I have been listening to Miles Davis' Kind of Blue for several days now - that album I have discovered sounds even greater as a backdrop to all these rains we're having...Coltrane's sinewy sax makes some great counterpoint to all these pitter-patter...

At night I put my turntable to the motions - last night I gave a listen to Pat Metheny's Bright Size Life....Hearing Jaco Pastorius there makes you regret all the more that he died at such a young age...

kudos to this thread!

#6 jobim

jobim

Looker

• (03) Newbie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 12:59 PM

Finally, someone besides me mentions Miles. :cool:

Hope there are enough members from MTC who have a "jazz" side after all...but we won't know till they share their passion (if any) here. So c'mon, MTC people! It won't mean a thing if you ain't got that swing!

In the meantime, I'll notify another music "head" I know in here. We'll be anxious to see what other responses you get, but expect the worst.

Having said that, suportado ka namin! Good luck pare!

Salamat! I thought it would be interesting to see if there are any other jazz fans here at MTC. THere are too few of us, so it would be nice to get in touch.

#7 jobim

jobim

Looker

• (03) Newbie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 01:09 PM

have a question:

Gabriela Anders.

Bossa Nova, if I'm not mistaken, means "new sound". It is a fusion of samba (Brazilian music) and jazz, and was "invented" by the great Antonio Carlos Jobim. Rarely can one say that a musical genre originated from a single person. But with bossa nova, there is no doubt that it was all started by Jobim.

#8 jobim

jobim

Looker

• (03) Newbie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 05:19 PM

Now isn't that amazing? I have been listening to Miles Davis' Kind of Blue for several days now - that album I have discovered sounds even greater as a backdrop to all these rains we're having...Coltrane's sinewy sax makes some great counterpoint to all these pitter-patter...

At night I put my turntable to the motions - last night I gave a listen to Pat Metheny's Bright Size Life....Hearing Jaco Pastorius there makes you regret all the more that he died at such a young age...

kudos to this thread!

Ah, Jaco Pastorius... I first heard him as a member of Weather Report. Even rock musicians idolize this man. I have one solo tune of his on my I-pod. It's amazing what he can do with that bass guitar.

#9 starbuck911

starbuck911

Cutie

• (05) Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 05:19 PM

Bossa Nova, if I'm not mistaken, means "new sound". It is a fusion of samba (Brazilian music) and jazz, and was "invented" by the great Antonio Carlos Jobim. Rarely can one say that a musical genre originated from a single person. But with bossa nova, there is no doubt that it was all started by Jobim.

if i may add:

the bossa is a toned-down version of the samba (usually the rhythm you hear at the annual carnaval in rio). whereas the samba's rhythm was rich in percussion, the bossa stripped-down all that percussion. instead, the acoustic guitar (as an example) was now laying the out the basic rhythm, mixed-in with some jazzy chord changes to create a unique sound for the brazilian people starting in the late 50's. lucky guys... :D although the samba and many other forms of brazilian music remain alive and well in their astounding musical culture, it was the bossa that spoke loudest outside it's own country.

the original bossa nova recordings were sung by joao gilberto. it featured compositions by jobim, dorival caymmi, ary barroso, and many others who were setting the trail for their 'new' sound. as fate would have it, jobim would emerge out of this pack of talents to later become the global ambassador of the bossa. for anyone interested in these recordings, i'd recommend "the legendary joao gilberto (the original bossa nova recordings 1958-1961)" on the world pacific label. you get all three lp's on one cd, which makes for 38 songs. not bad, don't you think? :) it still sounds as fresh as a daisy. joao g. was the perfect interpreter for these compositions. miles once said of him, "this guy would still sound cool even if he just read a newspaper".

is it jazz? ...uhhh, i'd rather not get into the 'labeling' factor.....but what i'll say is that brazilian music in general is also welcome in this thread since there are many elements to their music that you can tie-up with jazz. besides, which other thread in mtc could accomodate this? :thumbsupsmiley:

has anyone mentioned that the bossa is also among the sexiest of bed sounds? B)

Edited by starbuck911, 01 August 2006 - 05:23 PM.

#10 morrissey_05

morrissey_05

Chaser

• (04) Casual
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 05:37 PM

my faves: Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Lee Ritenour, Dizzy Gillespie, Pat Metheny, Jobim

#11 starbuck911

starbuck911

Cutie

• (05) Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 05:46 PM

Salamat! I thought it would be interesting to see if there are any other jazz fans here at MTC. THere are too few of us, so it would be nice to get in touch.

Yah, sinabi mo! Too few talaga...which is why we were hesitant to start such a thread ourselves. Anyway, you did...so now we're here. :lol:

To make this fit into the realm of MTC, it can be said that jazzers are also passionate. If we are able to put that kind of passion into what we hear, what more with the ones we connect with? :)

#12 hitomi

hitomi

Lover

• (06) Chronic Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1217 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 11:53 AM

if i may add:...

...is it jazz? ...uhhh, i'd rather not get into the 'labeling' factor.....but what i'll say is that brazilian music in general is also welcome in this thread since there are many elements to their music that you can tie-up with jazz. besides, which other thread in mtc could accomodate this? :thumbsupsmiley:

has anyone mentioned that the bossa is also among the sexiest of bed sounds? B)

this is all i need to hear :thumbsupsmiley:

i love bossa nova :lol:

oh, and aside from the album recommnedation of sir starbuck911, i would
like to add "Bossa Nova: 2cds of Childed Brazilian Soul" mainly because
its cheap (price-wise ha).
most of the tracks are sung by Astrud Gilberto (Joao Gilberto's wife)
and a lot of the compositions are by Carlos Jobim.

#13 bods1000

bods1000

garagiste....

• (13) Giga Poster
  • 12268 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 02:37 PM

have a question:

Gabriela Anders.

Bossa nova per se is not jazz. Bossa nova is a musical form that originated in South America and known for its sweet easy-going style as done by Jobim and Joao Gilberto. Now bossa nova was "discovered" by the jazzmen Charlie Byrd and Stan Getz, particularly Stan Getz who was on the lookout for new musical forms he could meld into jazz. Bossa nova's smooth easy tempo on the gentlest of samba beats was perfect. Charlie Byrd and Stan Getz did the 1962 groundbreaking album Jazz Samba which introduced bossa nova to the greater part of a mass audience, and subsequent albums made STan Getz rich. Also check out Charlie Byrd's Brazilian Byrd (1965), one of the best acoustic guitar albums ever.

#14 bods1000

bods1000

garagiste....

• (13) Giga Poster
  • 12268 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 02:45 PM

Ah, Jaco Pastorius... I first heard him as a member of Weather Report. Even rock musicians idolize this man. I have one solo tune of his on my I-pod. It's amazing what he can do with that bass guitar.

Legendary lineup, that Weather Report :cool: Now that you mention it, ang tagal ko na nga palang di napapakinggan yung Weather Report LP ko - 8:30, a live double album. Wayne Shorter's A Remark You Made still gives me goosebumps... I think Joe Zawinul is also dead na...anybody to confirm?

#15 starbuck911

starbuck911

Cutie

• (05) Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 04:47 PM

Bossa nova per se is not jazz. Bossa nova is a musical form that originated in South America and known for its sweet easy-going style as done by Jobim and Joao Gilberto. Now bossa nova was "discovered" by the jazzmen Charlie Byrd and Stan Getz, particularly Stan Getz who was on the lookout for new musical forms he could meld into jazz. Bossa nova's smooth easy tempo on the gentlest of samba beats was perfect. Charlie Byrd and Stan Getz did the 1962 groundbreaking album Jazz Samba which introduced bossa nova to the greater part of a mass audience, and subsequent albums made STan Getz rich. Also check out Charlie Byrd's Brazilian Byrd (1965), one of the best acoustic guitar albums ever.

Stan Getz & Co. brought more popularity to the jazzier form of bossa in the west.....but did you know that they were NOT the first jazz artists to attempt this? There was also Paul Winter, Herbie Mann, and Cannonball Adderley (who did a brazilian jazz recording in '61 with a young pianist named Sergio Mendes). I don't know who was first (or if there were any more I left out), but that would seem irrelevant now as the true origins were already discussed earlier. Getz was already a renowned saxophonist already having made several lp's under his name. He was also a major player in the development of the West Coast cool jazz scene. Where he REALLY scored big (saleswise) was when he brought the Gilbertos to record with him, blending the true bossa sound with his sax improvisations. Soon, people were asking who these vocalists were. They were also asking who wrote these cool-sounding tunes. The rest is history.....

Whether it's jazz or not....I'll try to stay away from that. Personally, I'm not in favor of putting labels on most music. The media (esp. the ones not qualified to speak/write on music) already did a good job screwing people's minds by the constant need to put everything they hear "into a box". I ask the people who read this thread with interest...DON'T be like them! Some of them are just music publicists who are just feeding you hype! Don't buy into it! What's hip to you is where your heart should take you. Whatever music you like, go back and learn it's origins. It would be to YOUR advantage to do that. You will soon realize that those who have NO respect for what came before them are just average dime-a-dozen music fans (who are in the majority). True, jazz is a more intellectual music (hey, so what?)...but once you "get it", you'll never turn your back on it. Sometimes, the things I see in Manila that passes for jazz.....Nakakasuka! :sick: We can't blame the artist(s) naman for the label he/she was given.....Ok folks, I'm just venting here, but I hope I was able to make a point. :P

O...where now is our threadstarter? If all he has of Jaco is one solo tune on his ipod, I hope he has more to bring to the table. We're just here to help keep his thread alive, but I'll assume muna that he's been busy. :)

#16 starbuck911

starbuck911

Cutie

• (05) Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 04:54 PM

I think Joe Zawinul is also dead na...anybody to confirm?

Dead? Bods naman.....I thought you'd know better than that. Na-shock mo naman ako sa sinabi mo... :blink: :)

I'll just say this: He ain't physically dead either.

Edited by starbuck911, 04 August 2006 - 04:56 PM.

#17 bods1000

bods1000

garagiste....

• (13) Giga Poster
  • 12268 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 08:33 PM

Dead? Bods naman.....I thought you'd know better than that. Na-shock mo naman ako sa sinabi mo... :blink: :)

I'll just say this: He ain't physically dead either.

hahaha alam mo madami na kong mental lapse talaga ....but what's he doing now? Weather Report has disbanded a long time ago na.

#18 bods1000

bods1000

garagiste....

• (13) Giga Poster
  • 12268 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 08:49 PM

Stan Getz & Co. brought more popularity to the jazzier form of bossa in the west.....but did you know that they were NOT the first jazz artists to attempt this? There was also Paul Winter, Herbie Mann, and Cannonball Adderley (who did a brazilian jazz recording in '61 with a young pianist named Sergio Mendes). I don't know who was first (or if there were any more I left out), but that would seem irrelevant now as the true origins were already discussed earlier. Getz was already a renowned saxophonist already having made several lp's under his name. He was also a major player in the development of the West Coast cool jazz scene. Where he REALLY scored big (saleswise) was when he brought the Gilbertos to record with him, blending the true bossa sound with his sax improvisations. Soon, people were asking who these vocalists were. They were also asking who wrote these cool-sounding tunes. The rest is history.....

Whether it's jazz or not....I'll try to stay away from that. Personally, I'm not in favor of putting labels on most music. The media (esp. the ones not qualified to speak/write on music) already did a good job screwing people's minds by the constant need to put everything they hear "into a box". I ask the people who read this thread with interest...DON'T be like them! Some of them are just music publicists who are just feeding you hype! Don't buy into it! What's hip to you is where your heart should take you. Whatever music you like, go back and learn it's origins. It would be to YOUR advantage to do that. You will soon realize that those who have NO respect for what came before them are just average dime-a-dozen music fans (who are in the majority). True, jazz is a more intellectual music (hey, so what?)...but once you "get it", you'll never turn your back on it. Sometimes, the things I see in Manila that passes for jazz.....Nakakasuka! :sick: We can't blame the artist(s) naman for the label he/she was given.....Ok folks, I'm just venting here, but I hope I was able to make a point. :P

O...where now is our threadstarter? If all he has of Jaco is one solo tune on his ipod, I hope he has more to bring to the table. We're just here to help keep his thread alive, but I'll assume muna that he's been busy. :)

well, not only in Manila, pare - a lot of what passes for jazz even abroad would sicken any true jazz listener. And I also believe that you have to listen to as many works of an artist to get a true feel of what he really is or where he's coming from. Now for music labelling, your points are very valid. I would like to add that it can also be dangerous or stifling to a listener because if he hears that a certain artist is categorized as such or belongs to such label, he would certainly not give that artist a chance to be heard on his CD player or Ipod or what. Yes most artists categorized into stinky labels really deserve that rap but sometimes you can find a diamond in the rough if only you were not hindered by categorization. For example a lot of people are turned off when a musical artist is categorized as New Age. But do you know that most of the artists categorized as New Age musicians actually hate that label? Free of preconceptions, if you gave that music some listen, there's actually good stuff in there. MIchael Hedges, Will Ackerman, Alex de Grassi, Steve Tibbetts, David Torn are all unfortunately labelled New Age, but they actually make very good music and they are all very excellent guitarists, which if you are a guitarist yourself, you can learn a lot from.....

#19 rakinishu

rakinishu

Wooer

• (05) Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 04:01 AM

..im not exactly sure what jazz is. Basta alam ko parang "free-flowing" medyo magulo. Sensya na ignorante. Rock ako eh.

#20 starbuck911

starbuck911

Cutie

• (05) Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 03:43 PM

..im not exactly sure what jazz is. Basta alam ko parang "free-flowing" medyo magulo. Sensya na ignorante. Rock ako eh.

Thanks for your honesty. Seeing the number of posts you made in the music section, I'm sure you got your minimum of 25 in order to gain access to more sections in this forum. I hope you enjoy them. <_<

;)

Edited by starbuck911, 06 August 2006 - 03:45 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users