• Please log in to reply
3451 replies to this topic

#3441 bods1000

bods1000

garagiste....

• (13) Giga Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12268 posts
  • Interests:music, travel lit, anything cerebral but i also get down and dirty.

Posted 13 November 2017 - 11:23 PM

Watching tv this morning made me realize that it was the first time I was seeing Razon speak, gesticulate, articulate, for the first time.

He dominated his interviewer. He is not politeness personified, like the previous interviewee Jaime Augusto Zobel. But that's what he is. He is media-shy and uncomfortable with interviews. That explains why he cuts off the interviewer in the middle of questions. As if he already knows in advance what the questioner is going to ask, or he is impatient with niceties, or his ideas are just waiting to spill over and can't wait for the interviewer to finish his senseless sentence. So opposite with the suave, debonair, polite, smiling, gracious, media-savvy Zobel. 

But that's the way they are. You cannot question a self-made billionaire on his media behaviour. He tells it like it is, and acts like what he is. Like declaring that the nations with good infrastructures are almost always ruled by a dictator. Bullseye! Like Singapore, and Duterte's, BF's, and Gordon's role model Lee Kuan Yew, who succeeded in building up Singapore at the expense of cultivating a robotic populace. It is a fact that Singaporeans are one of the rudest peoples on earth. 

Trying to glean some secrets from Razon's and Zobel's style by the way they talk - I fail. All you can see is that they are SHARP. They are quick-thinking, quick on the trigger, with a million ideas buzzing in their heads even while they talk. They are completely NOT dull. Some people are intelligent, but few are sharp, and the few sharp guys out there are the ones who reap billions. 

Razon may be rough on the outside, with little patience for niceties, but speaking from first-hand knowledge, he is a true gentlemen with a heart of gold. Raffles of houses and lots, not just one but forty, every year, and with little fanfare, that may be the secret to his continuing success. You cannot perpetually succeed without generosity.

I was studying these gentlemen closely while they spoke, but like all ordinary mortals, my attention drifts to things mundane and I learn nothing about how to make billions. My eyes drift to their suits. Bespoke, I'm sure. Savile Row? Brooks Brothers? Who knows? But they look like persons who are used to wearing suits, not like me who, when forced to wear formals, feels like he will in a minute be facing a firing squad. 

My eyes focus on his wrist. And he wears it on the right. What could that be? Does not look like a Rolex or a Speedmaster. Maybe they are beyond that now, although I'm sure he has some of them in his cabinet. Could that be a Patek, or a Vacheron, or a Breguet, or a Lange Sohn? Maybe an AP? It looks sporty enough to be just a Ulysse Nardin. This darned tv is so out of focus.

When the glint of his shiny black shoes catches the camera in a long shot, I wonder what it could be? A Prada or a Ferragamo? I'm hoping to God it's a Church's, which would give me some sort of affinity, however dumb and superficial, with these guys.

I've now come to realize that I could never be like them because of these stupid observations, but who wants to be in their place, 24 hours a day? Would you? I'm happy as I am now.

• BettyConfidential likes this

#3442 BettyConfidential

BettyConfidential

Domestic Goodness

• (11) Wyld
  • 7447 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 10:52 AM

mouth germs or none, I'm not drinking that kava.

but as they say, eat what the locals eat, drink what the locals drink.

buti na lang wala ang Vanuatu, or Solomon Islands, or Tahiti, etc. sa mga bucket list ko. lol

Oo wag sa Tahiti, diba dyan yung may mga cannibals? 

So ano pa yung nasa bucket list mo?

#3443 BettyConfidential

BettyConfidential

Domestic Goodness

• (11) Wyld
  • 7447 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 11:18 AM

Watching tv this morning made me realize that it was the first time I was seeing Razon speak, gesticulate, articulate, for the first time.

He dominated his interviewer. He is not politeness personified, like the previous interviewee Jaime Augusto Zobel. But that's what he is. He is media-shy and uncomfortable with interviews. That explains why he cuts off the interviewer in the middle of questions. As if he already knows in advance what the questioner is going to ask, or he is impatient with niceties, or his ideas are just waiting to spill over and can't wait for the interviewer to finish his senseless sentence. So opposite with the suave, debonair, polite, smiling, gracious, media-savvy Zobel. 

But that's the way they are. You cannot question a self-made billionaire on his media behaviour. He tells it like it is, and acts like what he is. Like declaring that the nations with good infrastructures are almost always ruled by a dictator. Bullseye! Like Singapore, and Duterte's, BF's, and Gordon's role model Lee Kuan Yew, who succeeded in building up Singapore at the expense of cultivating a robotic populace. It is a fact that Singaporeans are one of the rudest peoples on earth. 

Trying to glean some secrets from Razon's and Zobel's style by the way they talk - I fail. All you can see is that they are SHARP. They are quick-thinking, quick on the trigger, with a million ideas buzzing in their heads even while they talk. They are completely NOT dull. Some people are intelligent, but few are sharp, and the few sharp guys out there are the ones who reap billions. 

Razon may be rough on the outside, with little patience for niceties, but speaking from first-hand knowledge, he is a true gentlemen with a heart of gold. Raffles of houses and lots, not just one but forty, every year, and with little fanfare, that may be the secret to his continuing success. You cannot perpetually succeed without generosity.

I was studying these gentlemen closely while they spoke, but like all ordinary mortals, my attention drifts to things mundane and I learn nothing about how to make billions. My eyes drift to their suits. Bespoke, I'm sure. Savile Row? Brooks Brothers? Who knows? But they look like persons who are used to wearing suits, not like me who, when forced to wear formals, feels like he will in a minute be facing a firing squad. 

My eyes focus on his wrist. And he wears it on the right. What could that be? Does not look like a Rolex or a Speedmaster. Maybe they are beyond that now, although I'm sure he has some of them in his cabinet. Could that be a Patek, or a Vacheron, or a Breguet, or a Lange Sohn? Maybe an AP? It looks sporty enough to be just a Ulysse Nardin. This darned tv is so out of focus.

When the glint of his shiny black shoes catches the camera in a long shot, I wonder what it could be? A Prada or a Ferragamo? I'm hoping to God it's a Church's, which would give me some sort of affinity, however dumb and superficial, with these guys.

I've now come to realize that I could never be like them because of these stupid observations, but who wants to be in their place, 24 hours a day? Would you? I'm happy as I am now.

Me me me! I want to be in their shiny shoes! LOL

Yeah, it takes more than business acumen to strive and survive and eventually succeed in whatever area of business you are interested in. Do not focus on the mundane part, the one that you see on the outside. Learn the science of simplicity from Mark Zuckerberg, Steve Jobs, etc. You become less efficient if you stress yourself with everyday irrelevant decision-makings, like where to eat, what to wear, etc.

I haven't earned my first million yet, heck not even closed to it. Thanks to taxes and my sometimes unhealthy money habits hehe... Ikaw you've earned that already i'm pretty sure. And this in itself, is a BIG achievement already, so congratulate yourself! Pa-crispy pata ka naman dyan! LOL!

#3444 bods1000

bods1000

garagiste....

• (13) Giga Poster
  • 12268 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 10:51 PM

Oo wag sa Tahiti, diba dyan yung may mga cannibals? 

So ano pa yung nasa bucket list mo?

dapat dalhin dito yung mga cannibals na yun para makain yung mga trolls dito.

basta wala sa bucket list ko yung mga lugar na may tropical vibes like say The Seychelles, or Polynesia, or Hawaii etc. madami tayo nyan dito. Once you've seen one resort with sand, sun, and coconut groves, you've seen them all.

Let's see. 

I'd like to hike the Appalachian Trail.

I'd like to ride the Trans-Siberian the entire route, from Asia to Europe. 

Walk some length of the Camino to Santiago de Compostela.

I like to see Patagonia. 

I'd like to see Doging kick the bucket.

yun lang hehe. Can't think of others. Ikaw ba?

#3445 bods1000

bods1000

garagiste....

• (13) Giga Poster
  • 12268 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 11:09 PM

Me me me! I want to be in their shiny shoes! LOL

Yeah, it takes more than business acumen to strive and survive and eventually succeed in whatever area of business you are interested in. Do not focus on the mundane part, the one that you see on the outside. Learn the science of simplicity from Mark Zuckerberg, Steve Jobs, etc. You become less efficient if you stress yourself with everyday irrelevant decision-makings, like where to eat, what to wear, etc.

I haven't earned my first million yet, heck not even closed to it. Thanks to taxes and my sometimes unhealthy money habits hehe... Ikaw you've earned that already i'm pretty sure. And this in itself, is a BIG achievement already, so congratulate yourself! Pa-crispy pata ka naman dyan! LOL!

Old school versus Slacker Cool. I prefer Old School. I don't like the rumpled look of the tech billionaires now, but hey, they're both sharp. 

Sabi nga ni Razon, it's not about counting (your millions or billions), it's about building something. Sabi nya sa Forbes Magazine lang daw nya nalaman na billionaire sya. He does not obsess about how to have a billion pesos. He obsesses about something to build from the ground up. The money will follow.

#3446 BettyConfidential

BettyConfidential

Domestic Goodness

• (11) Wyld
  • 7447 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 03:38 PM

dapat dalhin dito yung mga cannibals na yun para makain yung mga trolls dito.

basta wala sa bucket list ko yung mga lugar na may tropical vibes like say The Seychelles, or Polynesia, or Hawaii etc. madami tayo nyan dito. Once you've seen one resort with sand, sun, and coconut groves, you've seen them all.

Let's see. 

I'd like to hike the Appalachian Trail.

I'd like to ride the Trans-Siberian the entire route, from Asia to Europe. 

Walk some length of the Camino to Santiago de Compostela.

I like to see Patagonia. 

I'd like to see Doging kick the bucket.

yun lang hehe. Can't think of others. Ikaw ba?

Let see, hmmm... 

I want to experience snow and try dog-sledding. Alaska maybe?

Go sky-diving - sa Dubai ata merong magandang place for this. Or kahit yung indoor skydiving na lang para di delikado hehe

Fly in a hot-air balloon. Sa zambales ba yun?

Go on an elephant ride in Thailand

Visit the Great Pyramid of Giza

Go on an African Safari

yun muna hehe

But before I go international... I'll be a tourist in my own country muna. :P

#3447 BettyConfidential

BettyConfidential

Domestic Goodness

• (11) Wyld
  • 7447 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 03:48 PM

Old school versus Slacker Cool. I prefer Old School. I don't like the rumpled look of the tech billionaires now, but hey, they're both sharp. 

Sabi nga ni Razon, it's not about counting (your millions or billions), it's about building something. Sabi nya sa Forbes Magazine lang daw nya nalaman na billionaire sya. He does not obsess about how to have a billion pesos. He obsesses about something to build from the ground up. The money will follow.

Hahah right. Perfect term! Slacker cool best describes the tech billionaires nowadays. Although may iba na traditional pa rin when it comes to how they present themselves like Elon Musk or Jeff Bezos.

Razon looks so dignified. Filipino ba talaga sya? He looks mixed, parang medyo Spanish/Middle-eastern ang dating. OK ang training nya. It wasn't given to him on a silver platter. Ngayon iba na, its all about connections. 

#3448 bods1000

bods1000

garagiste....

• (13) Giga Poster
  • 12268 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 11:29 PM

Let see, hmmm... 

I want to experience snow and try dog-sledding. Alaska maybe?

Go sky-diving - sa Dubai ata merong magandang place for this. Or kahit yung indoor skydiving na lang para di delikado hehe

Fly in a hot-air balloon. Sa zambales ba yun?

Go on an elephant ride in Thailand

Visit the Great Pyramid of Giza

Go on an African Safari

yun muna hehe

But before I go international... I'll be a tourist in my own country muna. :P

you would never make me jump out of an airplane!

that's a great list. some of them I've done although you can be sure that sky-diving was not one of them. 

nakaasar din mag-tourist dito lalo na if you ride a plane. the domestic airports here are the pits, and sticking to scheduled flight times is generally unknown here. lol!

but if it can be taken by road, go! kahit gaanong kalayo pa yan. 

#3449 bods1000

bods1000

garagiste....

• (13) Giga Poster
  • 12268 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 11:51 PM

Hahah right. Perfect term! Slacker cool best describes the tech billionaires nowadays. Although may iba na traditional pa rin when it comes to how they present themselves like Elon Musk or Jeff Bezos.

Razon looks so dignified. Filipino ba talaga sya? He looks mixed, parang medyo Spanish/Middle-eastern ang dating. OK ang training nya. It wasn't given to him on a silver platter. Ngayon iba na, its all about connections. 

ah yeah I like the style of Elon Musk, but not his ideas. These billionaire geeks - why don't they get a decent suit, or a decent haircut? They are practicing what I call reverse-yabang, and that is worse than mayabang.

Yeah he is Filipino but he belongs to that grouping called the kastilaloys. The insulares and peninsulares - the Aboitizes, Zobels, Sorianos, Roxases (not the Roxas in politics ha), the Ortigas, the Aguirres (the Banco Filipino clan, not the bewigged one), etc. They came with that wave of Spanish conquistadores in the 15th and 16th centuries - the Basques, Castilians, the Catalans. The adventurousness in their blood they now parlayed into business - starting with land.

Ngayon ko din nga nalaman na nag-kargador pala sya dati, and his father, Enrique Razon Sr owns the company. I am thinking that Ricky Razon was a bad boy - he still looks and acts the part now - so to teach him a lessson, his father banished him to unload cargo from the docked ships in their port. 

The kastilaloys are a close-knit group in the country. Sometimes they intermarry to keep the wealth within their families. But I'm thinking that Razon is not that close with the Zobels. Parang itong mga Zobel - Jaime Augusto and Fernando, were the good boys, with good manners, who went to good schools (Wharton, Harvard), while Ricky was some sort of black sheep in his youth. The Sorianos of the original San Miguel Brewery were Razon's allies (as he mentioned in that interview, getting the Sorianos as partners back when they bid for the MICT.). A few years after Andres Soriano Jr. died, Andy Soriano III dropped San Miguel and sold it to Danding Cojuangco. Nowadays Andy Soriano spends his time in his yachts drifing in the Azores off the Spanish coast. What a life. 

#3450 BettyConfidential

BettyConfidential

Domestic Goodness

• (11) Wyld
  • 7447 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 10:26 AM

you would never make me jump out of an airplane!

that's a great list. some of them I've done although you can be sure that sky-diving was not one of them. 

nakaasar din mag-tourist dito lalo na if you ride a plane. the domestic airports here are the pits, and sticking to scheduled flight times is generally unknown here. lol!

but if it can be taken by road, go! kahit gaanong kalayo pa yan. 

Hahaha! May harness naman plus parachute and a sky-diving expert-companion. Mag-indoor ka na lang :P

Delayed flights in NAIA is a normal occurrence especially during the typhoon season. Saka depende sa airline, sa mga budget ones expect those regularly. Sa PAL ba ganun din? 

Just beware of the road monsters!

#3451 BettyConfidential

BettyConfidential

Domestic Goodness

• (11) Wyld
  • 7447 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 11:07 AM

ah yeah I like the style of Elon Musk, but not his ideas. These billionaire geeks - why don't they get a decent suit, or a decent haircut? They are practicing what I call reverse-yabang, and that is worse than mayabang.

Yeah he is Filipino but he belongs to that grouping called the kastilaloys. The insulares and peninsulares - the Aboitizes, Zobels, Sorianos, Roxases (not the Roxas in politics ha), the Ortigas, the Aguirres (the Banco Filipino clan, not the bewigged one), etc. They came with that wave of Spanish conquistadores in the 15th and 16th centuries - the Basques, Castilians, the Catalans. The adventurousness in their blood they now parlayed into business - starting with land.

Ngayon ko din nga nalaman na nag-kargador pala sya dati, and his father, Enrique Razon Sr owns the company. I am thinking that Ricky Razon was a bad boy - he still looks and acts the part now - so to teach him a lessson, his father banished him to unload cargo from the docked ships in their port. 

The kastilaloys are a close-knit group in the country. Sometimes they intermarry to keep the wealth within their families. But I'm thinking that Razon is not that close with the Zobels. Parang itong mga Zobel - Jaime Augusto and Fernando, were the good boys, with good manners, who went to good schools (Wharton, Harvard), while Ricky was some sort of black sheep in his youth. The Sorianos of the original San Miguel Brewery were Razon's allies (as he mentioned in that interview, getting the Sorianos as partners back when they bid for the MICT.). A few years after Andres Soriano Jr. died, Andy Soriano III dropped San Miguel and sold it to Danding Cojuangco. Nowadays Andy Soriano spends his time in his yachts drifing in the Azores off the Spanish coast. What a life. 

Argh. Nawala yung tinatype ko na mahaba. My browser froze. 

Anyway, as I was saying...Ganyan ata talaga ang mga old money. Since they are from a long-established, upper-class families, they are more refined that their counterpart -- the tech billionaires who worked their way up the ladder. They just couldn't be bothered.

original.jpg

Look at Zuck LOL Makikita mo ba si Razon or Zobel na ganyan ang casual outfit? Maybe if they're swimming?

Even Obama said this: "you’ll see I wear only grey or blue suits. I’m trying to pare down decisions. I don’t want to make decisions about what I’m eating or wearing. Because I have too many other decisions to make.”

In suits, in shorts, as long as you're enjoying life, that's all that matters.

#3452 Markburat

Markburat

Voyeur

• (01) Lurker
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 07:24 AM

Hi... May mga tga bulacan?

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (5), Google (1)