For those who want to know more about the moral and ethical reasons behind a vegetarian lifestyle, try to get a copy of Frances Moore Lappe's "Diet for a Small Planet." It's quite hard to find in our good old RP, but if you know anyone who has it, it's worth the read.

oy, may ganyan ang erpats ko a, pero di ko pa nabasa.

tagal ko na di nakita yon... i'll look for it when i visit.

my favorite veggie is talong - torta, inihaw, prito, in a casserole with tomatoes and cheese, pakbet, kahit ano. they say talong has very little nutrients. can anybody confirm this?

aside from soy products, whats a good source of protien for vegetarians/vegans?

The problem (?) with veggies is that while they contain a lot of usable protein, they don't have complete protein. That's why nutritionists advise vegetarians to eat a variety of vegetables. There is such a thing as complementary protein. If, for instance, your diet includes both legumes (green beans, kidney beans, sitaw, tofu) and grains (rice, corn, bread), whatever amino acids are lacking in the legumes are made up for by the grains (you don't have to eat them simultaneously, though). In effect, you get complete protein, the kind you get from meat, fish, and eggs, though in smaller quantities (but the level of fat is smaller as well). An article in "Muscle and Fitness" suggests that vegans eat large quantities of whole grains with beans.

Edited by jt2003
  • 5 weeks later...

Sumagot na ako dito pero what the heck...

I always wanted to be a vegetarian as in.

Kaso ung mga paborito ko kasi kailangan ng sahog na karne.. tulad ng pinakbet ( Ilokano yata ung sa amin kaya may baboy).

mahirap din humanap ng mga lugar na pwedeng kainan ng vegetarian lang. :D

Anyway Ok naman sa akin ang gulay. I love Ampalya pero ung kasama ng luto na yun, e.g. pinakbet, inampalayahang manok, etc. Ayoko nung Ampalaya na may itlog :sick:

I am inlove with kangkong, kasi katunog ng nickname ko tapos ang sarap pa. para nga akong rabbit kasi sarap nasarap ako sa kangkong.

Not too many people like veggies. Is it because we were forced to eat them when we were kids? Yet, nutrionists and medical practitioners agree that veggies should be an essential part of a healthy diet.

How do you feel about vegetables? Do you feel the same way about broccoli as you do about a T-bone steak or roast chicken?

What are your favorites, if any? Are there vegetables that you absolutely will not eat?

Finally, can you recommend a nice salad bar aside from the one in Wendy's?

i like veggies coz they're not fattening & definitely healthy .I like eggplant esp. when it's fried & have it as viand w/ bagoong. :)

Meron sa cravings, eat all you can soup and salad... free with main course... haven't tried it yet

tried it already, basic salad ingredients like iceberg lettuce, luncheon meat (didnt touch this for fear this was ma ling), bacon bits, cheese, onion, bell peppers, etc with choice of thousand island or caesars dressing. includes soup which is usually onion soup. soft rolls and butter.

it is also included if you order their main course

I have tried Quan Yin Chai (don't know if I spelled it correctly) in Masangkay St., Binondo... their food is quite good :D

quan yin chay...i suppose. the spelling isnt important as it is just a phonetic translation. yes, its quite good. the only downside is that they microwave their food and there is a different feeling to the heat. good news is they offer 30pesos per dish at nighttime before closing.

Just so this thread could be a little more useful, perhaps we could suggest places and /or establishments where we could have good vegetarian fare or products.

Restaurants in hotels usually serve vegetarian meals. The vegetarian club sandwich at EDSA Shang's Garden Cafe, for instance, is great.

For special people and special occasions, I like Kashmir. Of course, it's on the expensive side, but there's a wide variety of vegetarian dishes to choose from.

For fastfood outlets, there's Bodhi especially if you want textured vegetable protein (in other words, mock meat). But not all Bodhis are created equal. The best Bodhi is still in Cubao (SM).

A small establishment which offers excellent vegetarian dishes is Mother Sacchi near Pasong Tamo in Makati. They have what they call a "lobster" that's really a very large lumpia. This place really serves great food (I hope it's still around).

If you like noodles, there's Phobac. But like Bodhi, not all Phobacs are created equal. The Phobac at Glorietta offers a far, far superior Chay noodle soup than the Phobac at Robinson's Galleria. In terms of vegetarian spring rolls, however, they're practically the same.

There's also Pho Hoa. Their servings of vegetarian noodles are larger than at Phobac, but not quite as tasty.

Mexicali offers a delicious vegetarian burrito. They also offer a vegetarian taco.

A relatively new establishment is Satya's along Xaverville in QC. It's not just vegetarian, it's vegan. They sell "vegetarian chicharon" which is absolutely delicious. Except that it costs P50, about twice the price of the traditional chicharon. I still haven't tasted their vegetarian bagoong.

• 2 weeks later...

there's a new place that serve good vegetarian food. i hesitated at first whether to put it here in this thread or at the chinese resto thread but i think this one is more suitable. it is located at macopa street near banawe. coming from quezon avenue going towards del monte along banawe, turn right at the corner of megamotion. it is on the left side. the name sounds like teh kwong.

i suggest you start the meal off with deep-fried sliced black mushroom and hot and sour soup. other suggestions are the vegetarian noodles and the camaron rebosado imitation which is actually deep fried lumpia in batter and bread crumbs.

I just learned how to make grilled vegetables. Brake in 300degrees red peppers, sweet onions, eggplant, with olive oil and italian spices for 30 min or less and you have a very flavourful lunch. Palaman ninyo sa french bread with the drippings and you have your lunch/dinner. The peppers and onions are very sweet after baking