Europe On A Budget

Hmm, I was lucky enough to get sent to Europe for work a few years a go and I must say that, based on my experience, it is better to go on a guided tour first. And then to have a couple of days by yourself.

I tried to do it by myself, swinging over to Paris from Amsterdam and then on to Belgium before going back to Rotterdam.

First off, I got robbed on the overnight train to Paris. Then, upon getting to Paris, I was again mugged by a beggar. Beggars over there look like they go to the gym regularly!

Also, it was a bit difficult to get the hang of the Transit system. Although, to be fair, once you get the hang of it and know how to navigate the signs, it is a piece of cake.

I also almost got mugged on the Transit system.

Anyway, my point is that, first you go an a guided tour to get your bearings for the new city. And then you stricke out on your own.

Hmm, I was lucky enough to get sent to Europe for work a few years a go and I must say that, based on my experience, it is better to go on a guided tour first.  And then to have a couple of days by yourself.

I tried to do it by myself, swinging over to Paris from Amsterdam and then on to Belgium before going back to Rotterdam.

First off, I got robbed on the overnight train to Paris.  Then, upon getting to Paris, I was again mugged by a beggar.  Beggars over there look like they go to the gym regularly!

Also, it was a bit difficult to get the hang of the Transit system.  Although, to be fair, once you get the hang of it and know how to navigate the signs, it is a piece of cake.

Anyway, my point is that, first you go an a guided tour to get your bearings for the new city.  And then you stricke out on your own.

I guess our experiences differ. I'm sorry to hear you got robeed - twice, no less!

My family and I have ALWAYS gone on our own. Even when our kid was young we always went unencumbered. New York, Washington D.C., Rome, Paris, London, Hawaii, Beaune, the Loire Valley...

I've been on overnight trains and on the public transportation systems in almost every city we've been. There are things to watch out for, to be sure. Gypsy kids in Rome, muggers in Paris, street crime in Washington and NY. Took the train from London to Paris and back. Trains from Hongkong to Shenzen and back. Trains from Essen to Dusseldorf to Koln and on to Munich.

But if you're alert, don't go places where and when you shouldn't, you can reduce the risk toyourself. It's true - if you look like you belong there, you are less likely to be mugged. Doing your research so you're prepared has lot to do with it. If you have some idea of how the transit systems works, for example, you can make like a local. I always talk to people who've been to a city before me and get their ideas and suggestion. I always - ALWAYS - make sure I know how to get around. And if I'm uncertain, I pay extra and arrange in advance for the first ride from the airport/train station/bus station to the hotel.

As always, don't leave your stuff lying around unattended, not even for a minute. Don't bring out your money and count it. Keep your wallet in a front or chest pocket, or even better in a money belt. Don't flash your credit cards around, and don't make a big deal of carrying your fancy camera around. Know where you're going and what you need to do next. Stay in well-lit areas if you must wait around. A cafe is a really good place to hang out waiting for the train. So you have to buy a cup of expensive coffee - it's cheaper than getting mugged.

The problem with a guided tour is they don't give you enough information to know where you want to go in the city and what you need to do. All you'll see are the major sights, and not even really leanr how to get around and where things are in relationship to each other. Many tours will put you up in hotels that are out of the way - not a problem since they arrange transportation. But if you want to dispense with the bus and go out on your own, it may not be so convenient. They won't tell you, for example, how the transit system works. Guided tours are great if you're content to see just what every other tourist sees, and not in any depth. But if you want to really get to experience a city, you need to get off the beaten tourist path - and that's what going it on your own gets you.

More sugggestions -

I always travel with ONE credit card, and ONE ATM card. Keep them in separate pockets at ALL times. A bit of emergency cash tucked away. And phone numbers to report the card stolen and get a new one issued. Also keep that separate. Usually with my passport. Which I have copies of that I keep in my luggage. I get enough cash wherever I am to keep me through a couple of days then get more if I need it. You can usually get cash on your credit card from the hotel as well. That's the safest thing to do. The conversion rates have been generally favorable for me. Use any extra cash to pay part of your hotel bill when you leave unless you are going on to another city in the same country. (In the case of Europe, you may not have to do this since most of Europe now uses the Euro. But not all places. Make sure you know for sure.)

While I like photography, I do not usually bring my expensive camera around with me. If I do, it stays in a bag until I am sure I want to take a picture and then it goes right back in. For street shooting, I will use a simpler, less attractive camera.

I keep a business card from the hotel so (a) I can call them if I have to, and (B) I can give it to the taxi driver so he knows where to go (especially places like Taiwan and China where English-speaking cabbies are rare). And the phone number of the local consulate or embassy.

Plan your days - don't just go wandering unless you'll just be in the vicinity of the hotel. Write/print out before you leave home your itinerary in each city. What you want to see, where the sights are, how you plan to get around. Along with a small map. If you print it 4 sheets to a page, it makes a very small package and you can punch holes in the pages and put them in a small DayTimer kind of notebook. Much more unobtrusive. If I have to consult a map (and I often do!) I don't stand on a street corner to do that. I'll find a place I can sit, have coffee and consult the map.

I try to consolidate my shopping where possible, not shop as I wander around.

• 4 weeks later...
Hmm, I was lucky enough to get sent to Europe for work a few years a go and I must say that, based on my experience, it is better to go on a guided tour first.  And then to have a couple of days by yourself.

First off, I got robbed on the overnight train to Paris.  Then, upon getting to Paris, I was again mugged by a beggar.  Beggars over there look like they go to the gym regularly!

Also, it was a bit difficult to get the hang of the Transit system.  Although, to be fair, once you get the hang of it and know how to navigate the signs, it is a piece of cake.

Anyway, my point is that, first you go an a guided tour to get your bearings for the new city.  And then you stricke out on your own.

could europe be worse than the philippines? my dad and i got robbed in barcelona, then you won't believe the number of those gypsy kids in Pisa, better make sure you use that money belt wisely or you certainly won't be travelling to europe on a budget

could europe be worse than the philippines?  my dad and i got robbed in barcelona, then you won't believe the number of those gypsy kids in Pisa, better make sure you use that  money belt  wisely or you certainly won't be travelling to europe on a budget

Only because you're unfamiliar with Europe ad opposed to being at home in the Philippines. I haven't been to Barcelona (never had the desire to see the place......) but I've been to England, France (both in Paris and in the smaller towns and countryside), Hooland, Germany, Denmark, Italy and Finland, as well as China, Hongkong, Taiwan, Japan and Singapore, and all over the US. In over 15 years of international travel I have NEVER been blatantly robbed. I WAS taken on the scenic tour in New York once, because I took the red-eye, got there at 5:30 am and was so sleepy I did not see where we were headed until we'd gone a good 10 miles out of the way. The cabbie got NO TIP, but I still ended up paying more than I should have.

Each place has their nice areas, and their "be careful" areas. Awareness is the key - no matter where you are. It is easier for you traveling in the Philippines to spot these problems because things are familiar. In other countries, things will look different, the threats will present themselves differently and you may not spot them until it is too late. Research and awareness!! At all times. Don't presume people will behave as they do at home - they won't!!!

my suggestion would be to divide the continent by area. Expensive yung airfare so many people try to pack everything in one trip. But you miss out on the local color because you only stay in a country for a few days.

One of the more expensive places to visit would be the scandinavian countries. But its really beautiful there. You can start south via Denmark. Then take the ferry into Malmo in Sweden. Goteborg (gothenburg) is also a must visit. Then you can take the train north or rent a car to travel norhtward to see the rest of sweden then take the train or drive to Norway, then Finland.

The best time to visit would be spring or summer because of the midnight sun... The scandinavians celebrate mid-summer which is the longest day of the year by getting wasted! hahaha this is so fun! its the longest party i've ever been! :boo: :boo: :boo:

You can get student passes for public transpo or day passes, in most major cities. The B&B's are the best places to stay. Expensive pa rin, comparatively speaking, but its cheaper than the hotels. Plus you live with a local family usually so they can advise you on the things to do, where to eat, local festivities and landmarks. If you're nice you may even get invitations...makakamura ka talaga if you're friendly. hahaha

• 3 months later...

You can take a euro pass. Its a ticket for the euro train. Ride all you can yata for a certain period of time. You can also use the net to look for inn. mga bed and breakfast inns are cheaper plus you get to know the culture of the area.

Based on my experience, mas maganda if you dont take an organized tour. You organized your tour.

Beware pala sa mga mandurogas who preys on tourist. Most are gypsies. Nanakawan kami sa Nice, France sa trainstation. kala niya pera folded Philippine Flag pala nakuha niya.

May style pa yan na kukunan ka nang picture with some gypsy flamingo dancers. Then they will ask you for a dollar to sent you the pics to the philippines. Puputi na lang ang kalabaw walang picture na dadating. Mukhang modus nila. Wala yatang film ang camera nila. Trusting naman kami dahil kasama sa tour package.

If you take a tour package, befriend the driver of the tour bus. He knows where to go.

Yung bus driver, tour guide namin naasar sa kasama namin. While on our way to Nurswhanstine (?), our companion insisted to eat at McDonalds. Ang pinoy talaga. Sabi niya, you guy go all the way from the Philippines to eat McDonalds in Austria. Dapat kasi you should try kung ano ang nasa area. Interact with the community.

• 2 months later...

some tips from my european trip. Back then, if your ticket reaches as far as London, then there's not much difference if you fly to get to another country. So we always sckedule our flights during mealtime - that saves you a meal for the day. Also, in Europe, breakfast usually comes free with the accomodation and most of the time its eat all you can. So we usually, wake up early in the morning, do some sight seeing then come back at the last minute when breakfast still allowed around 945am.we stuff ourselves so that by lunch time, u dont eat too much!

If you are travelling by rail and moving to locations which takes more than 7 hours, choose the night trip. It will save you on accomodation expenses. You can book a couchette (a bunk bed). ususlaly rail cabins in europe are very comfortable. Also has wash areas. If you still want to stretch your Euros, then you may sleep in your seat. If the train is not full you can use the seats as a bed too.

Reading from all your posts make me wanna go to Europe(probably on the 1st qtr of 2006, ipon muna ako).

There's also one major thing why I wanna go there and that is to watch a game of FOOTBALL!!!!!!

Ask ko lang, san mas maganda mamasyal, sa Italy, France, or sa London? It seems I might need around P50,000++ just for a week tour. But to travel outside our country is one of my main goal for next year, kaya I'll do it!!!

Podweed, when are you comin back here in the PH? Kitakits tayo next time sa LA UNION ha!

Edited by dj_flip03
Reading from all your posts make me wanna go to Europe(probably on the 1st qtr of 2006, ipon muna ako).

There's also one major thing why I wanna go there and that is to watch a game of FOOTBALL!!!!!!

Ask ko lang, san mas maganda mamasyal, sa Italy, France, or sa London?  It seems I might need around P50,000++ just for a week tour.  But to travel outside our country is one of my main goal for next year, kaya I'll do it!!!

Podweed, when are you comin back here in the PH?  Kitakits tayo next time sa LA UNION ha!

Each of the countries you mentioned are very nice in their own way. The nice thing about Europe is that every place is different. If it's football you want then Italy is a good place. Serie A matches are great! i see you are a Juventus fan. England is also very nice. They have a vibrant league there. English Primier League. I think 50K is also a bit too tight for Europe for even a week's trip.

Salzburg in Vienna is one thats very diffrent! its where they shot the sound of music movie... grabe ang rolling hills and greens you would see endless andvery colorful! plus the backdrop of the sowcaps of the hugemountains all around! Absolutely amazing! its wher micheal shmacher lives on the outskirts of the city pati yata si peter sauber of te f1 sauber team....

this tip applies wherever you're flying.

If you are flying on economy ticket and on your final flight home you checked in your baggage that is grossly overweight and have to pay for the excess, try to do a quick comp*tation. Compare how much you'll pay with how much it takes to upgrade to business class. If paying for excess is more than the cost of upgrade, then by all means upgrade and enjoy business class amenities and priveleges. Of course this only applies if the business class section is not fully booked.

• 2 months later...

if your really planning to visit europe its better to just find families or friends whos living there it will be cheaper on your part and mag ejoy ka pa ng husto if you planning to visit vienna austria you can contact me i have a flat that can accomodate 3 to 4 people and i can help you tour the area and best place or bar to hang out., and also help you in the language they dont speak english here sorry. aside from austria the best place i really enjoyed is paris and barcelona nice crowd and lot of arts which i really love but for goodtime and nightlife go to amsterdam and ungarn nice bars and lots of hip place

I backpacked Europe with several friends many years ago. We purchased a two month rail pass that we used to visit about 15 countries. To save money we would stay at hostels or travel during the night so that we can use the train as our hotel. If we didn't have a place to stay in the city we are visiting, we simply left our luggage in a rental storage locker at the local train station before going sightseeing. The best part of our backpacking trip was meeting and partying with other backpackers.

• 5 months later...
Ask ko lang, san mas maganda mamasyal, sa Italy, France, or sa London?  It seems I might need around P50,000++ just for a week tour.  But to travel outside our country is one of my main goal for next year, kaya I'll do it!!!

Just took a three-country Euro tour two months ago.

Depends kung ano ang hilig mo. If you're Catholic and you've never been to Italy, the Vatican and the other Basilicas and smaller chapels in Rome are an absolute must. Then you have serious history sites in the Colisseum and Forum to go along with other sights such as the Trevi fountain and the various Piazzas. Plus, the girls there are waaaaaaaay good-looking, if a little too heavy on eye makeup. Venice I think, is overrated. It's expensive (30 Euros just to SIT DOWN in a 5-star resto) and the first water bus station smells frighteningly like the Pasig. There are a couple of impressive churches though, and the Piazza San Marco is quite a sight to see at night all lit up. Tip for Venice: Stay at the nearby city of Mestre and take a 15 minute afternoon train ride to Venice, much cheaper.

For my money though, Paris is lovelier than Rome. The Louvre, Champs Elysee, Tulleries, Les Invalides, Grand Palace, Versailles Palace and of course, the Eiffel are simply spectacular. Buy two things: the Carte Orange which essentially gives you access to their entire public transpo network and the museum pass which gives you access to almost every museum in Paris. Not only will you save money, you get special privileges especially with the museum pass. Trust me, you will love those two items for the money you pay ---- SULIT. The food is excellent, even without going to real bistros and restos.

London is a least attractive in terms of tourist sites in Europe when I was there a decade back. Sure there's Buckingham Palace, Big Ben, the Tower of London, Parliament and others but London didn't appeal to me as much as the other Euro cities did. It's one of the colder (literally and figuratively speaking) Euro cities. London though, is a must if you're into books. Bring money here, lots of it, as my friends tell me it's still one of the most expensive Euro cities because you WILL buy things.

A relatively unknown gem in Europe is a town called Bruge in Belgium. It's a very small but unbelieveably charming town. The architecture will make you think you stepped into a fairy-tale town, complete with a really small lake. The atmosphere is very laid back, it's relatively cheaper than major Euro cities and almost everyone speaks English. And just when you think it's all just eye candy for girls, you step into a tavern and are immediately confronted with a rather large problem you never realized you could have ----- just how much of the more than 300 VARIETIES OF BEERS can you objectively taste before you pass out? If there is a heaven on earth, Bruge is mine.

If you plan to go to Europe, 1) do your research; plan out what you want to see, how to get there and where to stay waaaaaaaaay beforehand, it'll be cheaper and more enriching for you 2) be ready to do a LOT of walking, wear shoes that are comfortable but not to thin or thick soled. You bounce off the cobblestones with the thick ones and your feet will be hammered with the thin ones. 3) do not be afraid to go to the supermarket, you can actually have better and cheaper meals at where you're staying by bringing back cold cuts, cheese, bread and wine 4) study a bit of the language to the places you're going to, not only will it help you from getting lost and finding stuff but the locals sometimes give you free stuff because you can kind of talk to them 5) finally, bring as much money as you can without having to borrow. Don't rush it, Europe will always be there, but this might be your only trip there, so better to be packing more than 50T. Besides, andon ka na e; whatever you want buy it, look at it, eat it, you may not get another chance. Face it, a Euro pleasure trip will financially cripple anyone who is not an Ayala, Zobel or a Chinese mall owner. Broke ka talaga when you come back, but trust me, a well-planned Euro trip will give you memories you will cherish forever (as long as you remember to bring a camera) and might even change the way you look at things.

• 4 months later...

Im planning for a eurotrip with my family this coming April...We're thinking of visiting Italy and France only coz I have small kids to bring with me..Does someone here travelled to Europe before with accompanying toddlers..Will it not be difficult for them to ride on an overnight cross-country train..We still could not finalize our tour plan because we're thinking that instead of enjoying the tour we'll just spend our time taking care of our kids..

• 2 weeks later...
Just took a three-country Euro tour two months ago.

Depends kung ano ang hilig mo. If you're Catholic and you've never been to Italy, the Vatican and the other Basilicas and smaller chapels in Rome are an absolute must. Then you have serious history sites in the Colisseum and Forum to go along with other sights such as the Trevi fountain and the various Piazzas. Plus, the girls there are waaaaaaaay good-looking, if a little too heavy on eye makeup. Venice I think, is overrated. It's expensive (30 Euros just to SIT DOWN in a 5-star resto) and the first water bus station smells frighteningly like the Pasig. There are a couple of impressive churches though, and the Piazza San Marco is quite a sight to see at night all lit up. Tip for Venice: Stay at the nearby city of Mestre and take a 15 minute afternoon train ride to Venice, much cheaper.

For my money though, Paris is lovelier than Rome. The Louvre, Champs Elysee, Tulleries, Les Invalides, Grand Palace, Versailles Palace and of course, the Eiffel are simply spectacular. Buy two things: the Carte Orange which essentially gives you access to their entire public transpo network and the museum pass which gives you access to almost every museum in Paris. Not only will you save money, you get special privileges especially with the museum pass. Trust me, you will love those two items for the money you pay ---- SULIT. The food is excellent, even without going to real bistros and restos.

London is a least attractive in terms of tourist sites in Europe when I was there a decade back. Sure there's Buckingham Palace, Big Ben, the Tower of London, Parliament and others but London didn't appeal to me as much as the other Euro cities did. It's one of the colder (literally and figuratively speaking) Euro cities. London though, is a must if you're into books. Bring money here, lots of it, as my friends tell me it's still one of the most expensive Euro cities because you WILL buy things.

A relatively unknown gem in Europe is a town called Bruge in Belgium. It's a very small but unbelieveably charming town. The architecture will make you think you stepped into a fairy-tale town, complete with a really small lake. The atmosphere is very laid back, it's relatively cheaper than major Euro cities and almost everyone speaks English. And just when you think it's all just eye candy for girls, you step into a tavern and are immediately confronted with a rather large problem you never realized you could have ----- just how much of the more than 300 VARIETIES OF BEERS can you objectively taste before you pass out? If there is a heaven on earth, Bruge is mine.

If you plan to go to Europe, 1) do your research; plan out what you want to see, how to get there and where to stay waaaaaaaaay beforehand, it'll be cheaper and more enriching for you 2) be ready to do a LOT of walking, wear shoes that are comfortable but not to thin or thick soled. You bounce off the cobblestones with the thick ones and your feet will be hammered with the thin ones. 3) do not be afraid to go to the supermarket, you can actually have better and cheaper meals at where you're staying by bringing back cold cuts, cheese, bread and wine 4) study a bit of the language to the places you're going to, not only will it help you from getting lost and finding stuff but the locals sometimes give you free stuff because you can kind of talk to them 5) finally, bring as much money as you can without having to borrow. Don't rush it, Europe will always be there, but this might be your only trip there, so better to be packing more than 50T. Besides, andon ka na e; whatever you want buy it, look at it, eat it, you may not get another chance. Face it, a Euro pleasure trip will financially cripple anyone who is not an Ayala, Zobel or a Chinese mall owner. Broke ka talaga when you come back, but trust me, a well-planned Euro trip will give you memories you will cherish forever (as long as you remember to bring a camera) and might even change the way you look at things.

...and until now I'm still on the planning stage. Still saving up money. Went to singapore last July and spent all my savings. So i'm back to zero. :cry:

Target date: March 2007!!!! :cool:

• 1 month later...
Im planning for a eurotrip with my family this coming April...We're thinking of visiting Italy and France only coz I have small kids to bring with me..Does someone here travelled to Europe before with accompanying toddlers..Will it not be difficult for them to ride on an overnight cross-country train..We still could not finalize our tour plan because we're thinking that instead of enjoying the tour we'll just spend our time taking care of our kids..

I brought my then 4-year old son on a month-long, 5-country holiday accross Europe. I and my wife had a grand time but try asking my son's opinion if he enjoyed himself during the trip (besides stops at Euro Disney and Legoland Deutschland that is). It was pretty tough on us parents, but it was a lot tougher for our son (lost weight, was tired all the time keeping up with the endless walks). Consider yourself cautioned.

I am planning to UK by next year of 2007 at Hylands. Their advise is I land at Heathrow airport. A big event of the Boys Scouts 100 years 21st world Scout Jamboree. Problem is mabagal kumilos yung Boy Scout natin dito yung home Hospitality program dapat kunin hindi nila naabot yung deadline kaya kami natuluyan walang mag adopt.

Anyway brothers out there is there any suggestions sa mga cheap inns?Aftr the Jamboree we are proceeding to Germany, france then Italy. Well sanay na kami sa bakpackers kaso we are not familair with the Europe standards.