Psychological Disorders

Petronus

I have a question, and I have no idea if this is the place to ask it or not, so I apologize in advance if this doesn't belong in this thread.

Sometimes I think I might have Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. I have some weird tendencies. I spell out words in my head and I have to group the letters in groups of three. If something I spell in my head doesn't have a number of letters that is divisible by three, I add another word to make the total number of letters divisible by three. Does that make any sense to anyone? I know it sounds really weird.

Another thing I do is that I have to take an even number of steps on one type of surface. For example, if I'm walking on pavement and then step onto grass, I have to make sure that I've taken an even number of steps on the pavement first because if I haven't it means that one foot has taken more steps on the pavement than the other foot has and it feels uneven to me.

Does it sound like I might have OCD? Or am I just weird?

• 1 month later...

hi. just wanna inform you guys that there's such a thing called DSM IV criteria. i suggest you look it up. it contains the diagnostic criteria for all psychiatric disorders. if you suspect that you or some1 you know has a certain psychiatric disease, you can confirm it using the dsmIV. now if the terminologies are too technical, i can help. peace.

on DSM IV criteria uh-oh...andaming disorder...andami kong disorder! :unsure: :wacko: :cry:

Avoidant personality disorder

Avoids occupational activities that involve significant interpersonal contact, because of fears of criticism, disapproval, or rejection

Is unwilling to get involved with people unless certain of being liked

Shows restraint within intimate relationships because of the fear of being shamed or ridiculed

Is preoccupied with being criticized or rejected in social situations

Is inhibited in new interpersonal situations because of feelings of inadequacy

Views self as socially inept, personally unappealing, or inferior to others

Is unusually reluctant to take personal risks or to engage in any new activities because they may prove embarrassing

Avoidant personality disorder is often confused with antisocial personality disorder; clinically the term 'anti-social' denotes sociopathy, not social inhibitions.

Symptoms

People with avoidant personality disorder are preoccupied with their own shortcomings and form relationships with others only if they believe they will not be rejected. Loss and rejection are so painful that these individuals will choose to be lonely rather than risk trying to connect with others.

Hypersensitivity to criticism or rejection

Self-imposed social isolation

Extreme shyness in social situations, though strongly desire close relationships

Avoid interpersonal relationships

Feelings of inadequacy

Low self-esteem

Mistrust of others

Extreme shyness/timidness

Emotional distancing related to intimacy

Highly self-conscious

Self-critical about their problems relating to others

Problems in occupational functioning

Lonely self-perception

Feeling inferior to others

Chronic substance abuse/dependence

Creation of a fantasy world

Panic disorder

Panic disorder sufferers usually have a series of intense episodes of extreme anxiety, known as panic attacks. These events may last from several minutes to hours, and may vary in intensity and specific symptoms of panic over the duration (i.e. rapid heartbeat, psychological experience of uncontrollable fear, etc.). Some individuals deal with these events on a regular basis—sometimes daily or weekly. The outward symptoms of a panic attack often cause negative social experiences (i.e. embarrassment, social stigma, ostracization, etc.). As a result, as many as 35% of all individuals with panic disorder also have agoraphobia

Agoraphobia

Agoraphobia is an anxiety disorder which primarily consists of the fear of experiencing a difficult or embarrassing situation from which the sufferer cannot escape.

Agoraphobics may experience severe panic attacks in situations where they feel trapped, insecure, out of control, or too far from their personal comfort zone. In severe cases, an agoraphobic may be confined not only to their home, but to one or two rooms, and they may even become bed-bound, or a recluse.

Agoraphobics are often extremely sensitized to their own bodily sensations, subconsciously over-reacting to perfectly normal events. For example, the exertion involved in climbing a flight of stairs may trigger a full-blown panic attack, because it increases the heartbeat and breathing rate, which the agoraphobic interprets as the start of a panic attack instead of a normal fluctuation

--may appear as fear of being in crowds or busy places or just being outside the home.Agoraphobia can also develop as panic attacks 'spread' from one situation to another. for example, a lady we once treated had her first attack on a crowded underground train when it got stuck in a tunnel. Her mother had just died and she was already highly stressed.

At a party the following week she had another attack. She was sitting on a sofa, surrounded by people; her unconscious mind decided that this was 'the same' as the underground (where she had been sitting surrounding by people) and triggered a second occurence. It's not too hard to see how this could continue to spread to other public transport and more public situations.

recluse

is someone in isolation who hides away from the attention of the public, a person who lives in solitude, i.e. seclusion from intercourse with the world. The word is from the Latin recludere, which means "shut up" or "sequester".

A person may become a recluse for many reasons: a celebrity may seek to escape the attentions of his or her fans; a misanthrope may be unable to tolerate human society; a survivalist may be practicing self-sufficiency. It can also be due to psychological problems - such as apathy, a phobia, or other anxiety disorders. [citation needed]

It should be noted that this practice may not be voluntarily as one may become a recluse due to illness. A person may also become a recluse for religious reasons, in which case he or she is usually referred to as a hermit or an anchorite. [citation needed]

Reclusiveness does not necessarily connote geographical isolation. A recluse may live in a crowded city, but infrequently leave the security of his or her home. However, isolated and sparsely populated states (e.g., Montana, Wyoming, and Alaska) and countries (e.g., New Zealand or Australia) often harbor recluses, who are often seeking complete escape from civilization

Borderline personality disorder (BPD)

a disorder characterized primarily by emotional dysregulation, extreme "black and white" thinking, or "splitting" (believing that something is one of only two possible things, and ignoring any possible "in-betweens"), and turbulent relationships. It can also be described by mental health professionals as a serious mental illness characterized by pervasive instability in mood, interpersonal relationships, self-image, identity, and behavior, and a disturbance in the individual's sense of self.

The disturbances suffered by those with borderline personality disorder have a wide-ranging and pervasive negative impact on many or all of the psychosocial facets of life -- including employability and relationships in work, home and social settings.

Symptoms:

disturbances in and uncertainty about self-image, aims, and internal preferences (including sexual);

liability to become involved in intense and unstable relationships, often leading to emotional crisis;

excessive efforts to avoid abandonment;

recurrent threats or acts of self-harm;

chronic feelings of emptiness.

hay dyuskoh... :cry:

parang magkakamag anak lang ang mga disorder...pag meron ka pala ng isa...andami pang iba....hay....

Paranoid Personality Disorder

Schizoid Personality Disorder

Schizotypal Personality Disorder

Antisocial Personality Disorder

Borderline Personality Disorder

Histrionic Personality Disorder

Narcissistic Personality Disorder

Avoidant Personality Disorder

Dependent Personality Disorder

Obsessive-Compulsive Personality Disorder

Personality Disorder Not Otherwise Specified

Mental Retardation

Attention Deficit Disorder

Susme lahat ata to meron ako eh....pwede ba yung ganun?!? :wacko:

Edited by iwalkalone
hehe. u sure u have fulfilled the criteria to have those psych diseases?

minsan kc nagiging subjective lng tayo na na-fufulfill natin ung criteria pag akala nating may ganung sakit nga tyo. if it really concerns you, try seeing a psychiatrist. i know a few psychs from ust if u want.

uh...pwede po home service?...ayako lumabas ng bahay eh... :blink:

yung libre lang ha? :blink: hehe...may meryenda naman eh...coke tsaka marie :D

on DSM IV criteria uh-oh...andaming disorder...andami kong disorder! :unsure: :wacko: :cry:

Avoidant personality disorder

Avoids occupational activities that involve significant interpersonal contact, because of fears of criticism, disapproval, or rejection

Is unwilling to get involved with people unless certain of being liked

Shows restraint within intimate relationships because of the fear of being shamed or ridiculed

Is preoccupied with being criticized or rejected in social situations

Is inhibited in new interpersonal situations because of feelings of inadequacy

Views self as socially inept, personally unappealing, or inferior to others

Is unusually reluctant to take personal risks or to engage in any new activities because they may prove embarrassing

Avoidant personality disorder is often confused with antisocial personality disorder; clinically the term 'anti-social' denotes sociopathy, not social inhibitions.

Symptoms

People with avoidant personality disorder are preoccupied with their own shortcomings and form relationships with others only if they believe they will not be rejected. Loss and rejection are so painful that these individuals will choose to be lonely rather than risk trying to connect with others.

Hypersensitivity to criticism or rejection

Self-imposed social isolation

Extreme shyness in social situations, though strongly desire close relationships

Avoid interpersonal relationships

Feelings of inadequacy

Low self-esteem

Mistrust of others

Extreme shyness/timidness

Emotional distancing related to intimacy

Highly self-conscious

Self-critical about their problems relating to others

Problems in occupational functioning

Lonely self-perception

Feeling inferior to others

Chronic substance abuse/dependence

Creation of a fantasy world

Panic disorder

Panic disorder sufferers usually have a series of intense episodes of extreme anxiety, known as panic attacks. These events may last from several minutes to hours, and may vary in intensity and specific symptoms of panic over the duration (i.e. rapid heartbeat, psychological experience of uncontrollable fear, etc.). Some individuals deal with these events on a regular basis—sometimes daily or weekly. The outward symptoms of a panic attack often cause negative social experiences (i.e. embarrassment, social stigma, ostracization, etc.). As a result, as many as 35% of all individuals with panic disorder also have agoraphobia

Agoraphobia

Agoraphobia is an anxiety disorder which primarily consists of the fear of experiencing a difficult or embarrassing situation from which the sufferer cannot escape.

Agoraphobics may experience severe panic attacks in situations where they feel trapped, insecure, out of control, or too far from their personal comfort zone. In severe cases, an agoraphobic may be confined not only to their home, but to one or two rooms, and they may even become bed-bound, or a recluse.

Agoraphobics are often extremely sensitized to their own bodily sensations, subconsciously over-reacting to perfectly normal events. For example, the exertion involved in climbing a flight of stairs may trigger a full-blown panic attack, because it increases the heartbeat and breathing rate, which the agoraphobic interprets as the start of a panic attack instead of a normal fluctuation

--may appear as fear of being in crowds or busy places or just being outside the home.Agoraphobia can also develop as panic attacks 'spread' from one situation to another. for example, a lady we once treated had her first attack on a crowded underground train when it got stuck in a tunnel. Her mother had just died and she was already highly stressed.

At a party the following week she had another attack. She was sitting on a sofa, surrounded by people; her unconscious mind decided that this was 'the same' as the underground (where she had been sitting surrounding by people) and triggered a second occurence. It's not too hard to see how this could continue to spread to other public transport and more public situations.

recluse

is someone in isolation who hides away from the attention of the public, a person who lives in solitude, i.e. seclusion from intercourse with the world. The word is from the Latin recludere, which means "shut up" or "sequester".

A person may become a recluse for many reasons: a celebrity may seek to escape the attentions of his or her fans; a misanthrope may be unable to tolerate human society; a survivalist may be practicing self-sufficiency. It can also be due to psychological problems - such as apathy, a phobia, or other anxiety disorders. [citation needed]

It should be noted that this practice may not be voluntarily as one may become a recluse due to illness. A person may also become a recluse for religious reasons, in which case he or she is usually referred to as a hermit or an anchorite. [citation needed]

Reclusiveness does not necessarily connote geographical isolation. A recluse may live in a crowded city, but infrequently leave the security of his or her home. However, isolated and sparsely populated states (e.g., Montana, Wyoming, and Alaska) and countries (e.g., New Zealand or Australia) often harbor recluses, who are often seeking complete escape from civilization

Borderline personality disorder (BPD)

a disorder characterized primarily by emotional dysregulation, extreme "black and white" thinking, or "splitting" (believing that something is one of only two possible things, and ignoring any possible "in-betweens"), and turbulent relationships. It can also be described by mental health professionals as a serious mental illness characterized by pervasive instability in mood, interpersonal relationships, self-image, identity, and behavior, and a disturbance in the individual's sense of self.

The disturbances suffered by those with borderline personality disorder have a wide-ranging and pervasive negative impact on many or all of the psychosocial facets of life -- including employability and relationships in work, home and social settings.

Symptoms:

disturbances in and uncertainty about self-image, aims, and internal preferences (including sexual);

liability to become involved in intense and unstable relationships, often leading to emotional crisis;

excessive efforts to avoid abandonment;

recurrent threats or acts of self-harm;

chronic feelings of emptiness.

hay dyuskoh... :cry:

parang magkakamag anak lang ang mga disorder...pag meron ka pala ng isa...andami pang iba....hay....

Paranoid Personality Disorder

Schizoid Personality Disorder

Schizotypal Personality Disorder

Antisocial Personality Disorder

Borderline Personality Disorder

Histrionic Personality Disorder

Narcissistic Personality Disorder

Avoidant Personality Disorder

Dependent Personality Disorder

Obsessive-Compulsive Personality Disorder

Personality Disorder Not Otherwise Specified

Mental Retardation

Attention Deficit Disorder

Susme lahat ata to meron ako eh....pwede ba yung ganun?!? :wacko:

the fact that you think you have it, would probably meant otherwise..

people who have psychological problems do not normally believe they have it..

there was a time i was diagnosed a schizophrenic...had dual personalities..."get away here you dumb bastard"...no, i'm the one here..."no you stupid f#&k, leave me alone"...wait, wait, i'm the one talking you get off me..."i'll k*ll you!"...you try it...(squeezing my neck, err...that damn bastard's neck!)...:lol:

seriously, i have OCD...

the fact that you think you have it, would probably meant otherwise..

people who have psychological problems do not normally believe they have it..

THUG do you belive you have it? :cool:

Peace Bro ...

Indeed they DENY having such

siguro yun yung mga malala na talaga...but as in my case...

...i dunno...there really must something wrong w/ me...i actually experience/ still experiencing those symptoms... and yes i'm completely aware...and it worries me alot...promise...i'm not making things up...would you be cutting yourself every now and then if you were normal???

would you?....and the rest of the other symptoms....mangyayari ba lahat sayo yun kung walang problema sa sarili mo??? talaga???....s@%t pasensya na...nag papalibre lang talaga ako sa consultation :P ...la akong pambayad sa shrink eh...haha :D ...tsaka...yun nga...ayoko lumabas ng bahay....( and this one...lumalala na talaga sya...i swear!)

there was a time i was diagnosed a schizophrenic...had dual personalities..."get away here you dumb bastard"...no, i'm the one here..."no you stupid f#&k, leave me alone"...wait, wait, i'm the one talking you get off me..."i'll k*ll you!"...you try it...(squeezing my neck, err...that damn bastard's neck!)...:lol:

seriously, i have OCD...

http://foolstown.com/sm/jok.gif

Hello Kara,

I've been away for awhile and it has been some time since you posted anything on this topic. I hope that you have seen the silver lining around the clouds that surrounded your circumstances.

Nice avatar by the way.....artsy

no i'm not ok and i've gotten worse ...thank you. :(

hi, sana eto yung tamang thread, balak ko sanang bumili ng anti-depressant.. tumingin ako sa internet nakita ko prozac 20. pwede ba akong bumili sa botika nun na walang prescription? Meron ba sa inyong naka-try na nun?

kala ko wala sa pilipinas na ganyan...i'm sure kailangan nyan ng prescription....i think :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Kara,

Which explains your "Hyperventilation" I suppose.

Relax ka lang. Think of a distraction when you suffer a panic attack.

Hope you get through these difficult times. :D

Here is a story that might cheer you up . . .

I used to have an ex-GF from Earth who got promoted to Heaven. I always wait for her outside of this fastfood near GL. While waiting for her at a nearby fastfood, a gorgeous gal stepped out of the door at marami syang take out. I don't know what came over me but I chased her in the parking lot and I asked her if she was Kara. Of course, she was surprised bordering on scared but composed pa naman. She denied being you which I believed naman. Turns out she was a singer in one of the nearby bars. Gave her my business card and hoped for the best. We never got hooked up again but it was a sign that I just had to split with my GF at GL. Since then, naging malaya na ako. Naintindihan naman ako ng aking ex-GF but she was really devastated. During the time we were together, we never had sex except that time when we initially met. I just needed to make the relationship pure and it was a mutual decision. :D

Hi Kara,

Which explains your "Hyperventilation" I suppose.

Relax ka lang. Think of a distraction when you suffer a panic attack.

Hope you get through these difficult times. :D

Here is a story that might cheer you up . . .

I used to have an ex-GF from Earth who got promoted to Heaven. I always wait for her outside of this fastfood near GL. While waiting for her at a nearby fastfood, a gorgeous gal stepped out of the door at marami syang take out. I don't know what came over me but I chased her in the parking lot and I asked her if she was Kara. Of course, she was surprised bordering on scared but composed pa naman. She denied being you which I believed naman. Turns out she was a singer in one of the nearby bars. Gave her my business card and hoped for the best. We never got hooked up again but it was a sign that I just had to split with my GF at GL. Since then, naging malaya na ako. Naintindihan naman ako ng aking ex-GF but she was really devastated. During the time we were together, we never had sex except that time when we initially met. I just needed to make the relationship pure and it was a mutual decision. :D

wow....talk about touching lives :D

....so where do i get to buy Prozac again? available ba yan sa mercury? over the counter ba yan? how much kaya? and ano pa ba ibang anti-depressant na over the counter lang? anyone? :blink:

wow....talk about touching lives :D

....so where do i get to buy Prozac again? available ba yan sa mercury? over the counter ba yan? how much kaya? and ano pa ba ibang anti-depressant na over the counter lang? anyone? :blink:

Gulo pala ng kwento ko. :blink: Anyway I saw you in one MTC party and I think your also pretty and you don't look like your age. Was looking for you at GL but they said you were retired.

Prozac is not available as an over the counter drug. In fact, all SSRI (mga kapatid ng Prozac like sertraline, fluvoxamine, citalopram) would require prescription. I can get you an anxiolytic if you want - Valium, Stilnox or Xanor. By your complaints of hyperventilation and panic attacks, looks like ito kailangan mo unless your really diagnosed with MDD.

If you have a doctor friend (aside from Doc Pepper :P ), you can ask for a prescription and you can buy it at Mercury.

Basta you don't need to be depressed cause some women will spend millions just be look half as good as you are. :)

siguro yun yung mga malala na talaga...but as in my case...

...i dunno...there really must something wrong w/ me...i actually experience/ still experiencing those symptoms... and yes i'm completely aware...and it worries me alot...promise...i'm not making things up...would you be cutting yourself every now and then if you were normal???

would you?....and the rest of the other symptoms....mangyayari ba lahat sayo yun kung walang problema sa sarili mo??? talaga???....s@%t pasensya na...nag papalibre lang talaga ako sa consultation :P ...la akong pambayad sa shrink eh...haha :D ...tsaka...yun nga...ayoko lumabas ng bahay....( and this one...lumalala na talaga sya...i swear!)

http://foolstown.com/sm/jok.gif

girl, u'll only live once..

make the best outta it..

just pray i know it's hard pero i do think that sarili mo lang ang kalaban mo, heck, un pa naman ang pinakamahirap di ba..

everytime na maka-experience ka ng panic attack or some sort, just think of any happy moment, try to divert it, it's all in your mind, and always remember, you're the master of you're own self..

i do believe that you're normal nothing's wrong with you..

it's just that you're too confused about something wherein reality, there is really no need to be worried about..

the fact that you're posting and i mean an active poster in this forum and be able to communicate with others means something, that you're practically normal and sane..

like what i've said, minsan ka lang mabubuhay girl, sasayangin mo pa ba...

think about it..

read the Good Book, it'll help, trust me..

Before we ask that question, we should be sure that we are indeed suffering from OC disorder. Moreover, there is an option to medication when it cames to OC disorder. There are behavioral and psychoanalytic interventions available which in most cases proves more effective than medication.

is ther any medicine that can treat obsessive compulsive disorder?
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...