# What is a mutual fund?

>>> A mutual fund is an investment vehicle that allows the small investor the opportunity to participate in and benefit from stock market investing. It does this by pooling the money of institutions with the money of individual investors, like yourself, and then hiring a fund manager to invest these assets.

# Is my principal secure? Can i lose money?

>>> Investing in mutual funds, like investing in the stock market, involves risk. Any investment that involves risk means that you may lose some of your original investment. However, a mutual fund does several things to control, and contain that risk. First is having the fund managed by a professional manager. A professional fund manager's primary job is to invest the assets of the fund to get the best return for the shareholders. Second, the investments of a mutual fund are diversified, that is, it is invested in many different stocks, thus insulating the fund from a downturn in any one particular stock. While there are risks in mutual fund investing, the returns can be rewarding. Stock market investing over the long term has proven to provide higher returns than traditional investment vehicles.

# What is the interest rate if I invest?

>>> Mutual funds are not fixed income investments like treasury bills or time deposits and therefore do not pay out a fixed rate of return. Mutual funds invest in stocks listed on the stock exchange. As a result, the net asset value (the value of each mutual fund share) fluctuates on a daily basis. Your individual rate of return depends on many factors such as average cost per share, the current net asset value, etc.

# Why should I invest in a mutual fund?

>>> There are many reasons for investing in mutual funds but the most common is that it is the best vehicle for small investors wanting to participate in the stock market. For those investors looking for regular income or a fixed rate of return, Philippine goverment treasury bills or time deposits are good vehicles. Historically, the stock market has provided higher returns than fixed income instruments. That is why for investors looking for the opportunity for higher returns provided by the stock market, mutual funds are the most appropriate vehicle.

# What is the net asset value per share, or NAVPS?

>>> The net asset value per share (NAVPS) is the value of each share of a mutual fund. A fund's NAVPS is calculated daily and is the price used when purchasing or selling mutual fund shares. To determine the value of your shares, simply multiply the number of shares you own by the NAVPS. Because the NAVPS is the price shares are bought and sold for, it is similar to the price of a stock exchange listed security.

taken from http://www.gsismutualfunds.com/FAQ.htm

Guest VO2_Max
What about sunlife? ok ba eto as investment?

try goin to Inquirer na web page...www.inq7.net....try to find the business section there...i think you can find an icon about mutual fund there....just click on that one....it gives you some information on how some funds have been performing so far for the past few years......

Hi bros!!

This is a very informative thread! I used to work before as a mutual funds trader in an American Brokerage firm. Right now I decided to study but I really missed my job. I'm not actually familiar with MF's here in the Phil but looks like its pretty interesting to invest since the market is a (bit) down. Is there a way that I can see the prospectus of these MF's?? If your interested in foreign MF you can send me a PM?? Thanks!! :rolleyes:

Ciao!!!

Hi bros!!

This is a very informative thread! I used to work before as a mutual funds trader in an American Brokerage firm. Right now I decided to study but I really missed my job. I'm not actually familiar with MF's here in the Phil but looks like its pretty interesting to invest since the market is a (bit) down. Is there a way that I can see the prospectus of these MF's??  If your interested in foreign MF you can send me a PM?? Thanks!! :rolleyes:

Ciao!!!

AEFA? :D

Wow. Ive heard a little about mutual funds before but I really dont know the procedures here. Ive been thinking of putting up a business but just dont have the time to work on it. So I think this is one of the best alternative for me to invest on. Can someone give me the directions on how to engage in this endevour or can give me a link for a step-by-step procedure?

Guest VO2_Max
Wow. Ive heard a little about mutual funds before but I really dont know the procedures here. Ive been thinking of putting up a business but just dont have the time to work on it. So I think this is one of the best alternative for me to invest on. Can someone give me the directions on how to engage in this endevour or can give me a link for a step-by-step procedure?

try contacting sunlife, philam,....both of these companies offer different kinds of mutual fund...Bond, Mixed, Equity....

Philequity....i think this being managed by the ayala group (BPI)...it mimics the PHISIX.....

try going to www.PSE.org.ph....click on the mutual funds....you can see the different funds there and its current price....

Hi bros!!

This is a very informative thread! I used to work before as a mutual funds trader in an American Brokerage firm. Right now I decided to study but I really missed my job. I'm not actually familiar with MF's here in the Phil but looks like its pretty interesting to invest since the market is a (bit) down. Is there a way that I can see the prospectus of these MF's??  If your interested in foreign MF you can send me a PM?? Thanks!! :rolleyes:

Ciao!!!

how much is the minimum investment for foreign MFs?

how much is the minimum investment for foreign MFs?

i have worked locally here in an offshore american brokerage firm and i would say it depends where you open the account. The minimums can go as low as $100 and this is buying the mutual fund "direct at fund". If this is not the case,you usually have to open a borkerage account first w/c has a minimum "deposit" to open it. Some require to invest $2000 to the fund inside the brokerage or "money market account". You dont need to invest it if you want, it can just stay in cash and earn interest. Some have lower minimums like when you open an IRA account.

try contacting sunlife, philam,....both of these companies offer different kinds of mutual fund...Bond, Mixed, Equity....

Philequity....i think this being managed by the ayala group (BPI)...it mimics the PHISIX.....

try going to www.PSE.org.ph....click on the mutual funds....you can see the different funds there and its current price....

Philequity po is an equity fund. The mutual fund fund taht mimics the phisix is the BPI Index fund.

:)

Guest VO2_Max

list of mutual funds are below and its current NAV/share....

Balanced Funds

First Galleon Family Fund 0.6753

GSIS Kinabukasan Fund 1.1685

Legacy HY Fund, Inc. 1.3026

MFCP Kabuhayan Fund 0.8151

Philam Fund 5.4481

Sun Life Prosperity Balanced Fund 1.3859

Sun Life Prosperity Dollar Advantage Fund (US$) 2.2396

Bond Funds

ALFM Dollar Bond Fund 267.62

ATR-Kim Eng Fixed Income Fund 1.0661

Ayala Life Fixed Income Fund 180.61

Cocolife Fixed Income Fund 1.1761

Ekklesia Mutual Fund, Inc. 1.0871

Grepalife Fixed Income Fund 1.0472

Legacy GS Fund, Inc. 1.0639

Legacy TD Fund, Inc. 1.0731

MAA Privilege Dollar Fixed Income 1.0987

MAA Privilege Peso Fund 1.6985

Philam Bond Fund 2.1197

Philam Dollar Bond Fund, Inc. 1.2499

Prudentialife Fixed Income Fund, Inc. 1.0677

Sun Life Prosperity Bond Fund 1.5662

Sun Life Prosperity Dollar Abundance Fund 2.0154

Sun Life Prosperity GS Fund 1.0087

Equity Funds

ATR- Kim Eng Equity Opportunity Fund 1.2606

Philam Strategic Growth Fund 193.79

Philequity Fund 6.9024

Sun Life Prosperity Phil. Equity Fund 1.1967

United Fund 1.5337

Index Funds

Philippine Index Fund 219.43

Money Market Funds

Sun Life Prosperity Money Market Fund

Market Closed

As of THU AUG 11, 2005 12:10:03 PM

PSE COMPOSITE AND SECTORAL INDICES

VALUE CHANGE % CHG

ALL SHARES 1,224.99 6.75 0.5541

FINANCIAL 578.91 4.14 0.7203

CI 3,218.29 11.22 0.3499

MINING 2,776.64 94.92 3.5395

OIL 2.80 0.15 5.6604

PHISIX 2,023.70 13.29 0.6611

PROPERTY 736.33 15.59 2.1631

NAVPS AS OF AUG 11 THU :

http://www.icap.com.ph/factsfignavps.asp

Market Closed 

As of THU AUG 11, 2005 12:10:03 PM 

PSE COMPOSITE AND SECTORAL INDICES 

VALUE      CHANGE    % CHG 

ALL SHARES    1,224.99      6.75    0.5541   

FINANCIAL        578.91      4.14    0.7203   

CI                  3,218.29    11.22    0.3499   

MINING            2,776.64    94.92    3.5395   

OIL                        2.80      0.15    5.6604   

PHISIX              2,023.70    13.29    0.6611   

PROPERTY            736.33    15.59    2.1631   

NAVPS AS OF AUG 11 THU :

http://www.icap.com.ph/factsfignavps.asp

Hi financial adviser,

Last year the equity market is really doing well in the Philippines but this year it is kind of just maintaining. I notice that equity market is really doing well in the asian market. Could you give

me some advice on what equity market will perform well

thanks

17-Aug 05 16-Aug 05 15-Aug 05 12-Aug 05 11-Aug 05

NAV per share 6.8891 6.9199 6.8319 6.9652 6.9318

YTD Performance 6.85% 7.33% 5.96% 8.03% 7.51%

% Daily Change -0.44% 0.14% 0.19% 0.48% 0.43%

PHISIX 1,985.10 1,993.58 1,974.83 2,038.10 2,023.70

% Daily Change -0.43% -0.62% -0.04% 0.71% 0.66%

YTD 8.90% 9.37% 8.34% 11.81% 11.02%

just wana share some thoughts on DOLLAR COST AVERAGING or simply "cost averaging"...-method of accumulating assets by investing a FIXED AMOUNT of dollars or pesos in securities at SET INTERVALS(monthly,quarterly,semi-annual,annual). The investor buys more shares when the price is low and fewer shares when the price is high;the overall cost therefore is lower than it would be if constant number of shares were bought at sest intervals(compare it to buying stocks using min lot size).

it is widely used already in the US unlike here in the Phil, where Filipinos lack financial knowledge and options on where to invest their money. When they think of saving, sa banko kagad ang iniisip nila. Also, in general, it is diffucult and it takes discipline to save REGULARLY.

any thoughts or any ppl out there who has mf accounts that do DCA?