All good stuff......but my favorite is still a fresh (just out of the oven) perfectly crusted and soft inside baguette - like you would find at a small local bakery in the French countryside. With sweet (unsalted) butter and an all-fruit (no added sugar) strawberry jam, and a good cup of black coffee, it's hard to beat.

I've found it in a couple of places locally (SF Bay Area, that is) - not as good, but close. From Atong's post about flour quality I would wonder if one can find good French baguettes in Manila anywhere? If there is I will make it one very specific stop on my next visit.

Good, fresh, just out of the oven pan de sal and sweet butter with that Kraft cheese in a can is also very good. We used to wait until 2 am to buy it at the Baguio Superette bakery way back when.

All good stuff......but my favorite is still a fresh (just out of the oven) perfectly crusted and soft inside baguette - like you would find at a small local bakery in the French countryside. With sweet (unsalted) butter and an all-fruit (no added sugar) strawberry jam, and a good cup of black coffee, it's hard to beat.

I've found it in a couple of places locally (SF Bay Area, that is) - not as good, but close. From Atong's post about flour quality I would wonder if one can find good French baguettes in Manila anywhere? If there is I will make it one very specific stop on my next visit.

Good, fresh, just out of the oven pan de sal and sweet butter with that Kraft cheese in a can is also very good. We used to wait until 2 am to buy it at the Baguio Superette bakery way back when.

i doubt if you can find the local source for baguettes comparable to the ones there. aside from the purity, there is also protein and gluten content problem. shortenings are also a problem when compared to other countries. though hydrogenated, purity is also a question. there is also the addition of chemical emulsifiers.