Guitar Talk

Astig yung overture 1928!  :boo:

I can play some part of it though I can never get the break at the start right.

I remember jumping out of my seat nung tinugtog ni JM yan dun sa Yupangco clinic nya.  :lol:

I can also play a considerable part of Beyond This Life (also by DT) pero hindi continuous - kakapagod kasi.

swerte mo at naka attend ka sa clinic ni JP! :cool: simple lang yung intro ng overture 1928, nakakalito lang yung timing. speed and stamina talaga kailangan para tumugtog ng DT songs, especially that 25 minute monster song change of seasons!

isa pang hayop sa bass, si les claypool from primus!

swerte mo at naka attend ka sa clinic ni JP! :cool: simple lang yung intro ng overture 1928, nakakalito lang yung timing. speed and stamina talaga kailangan para tumugtog ng DT songs, especially that 25 minute monster song change of seasons!

isa pang hayop sa bass, si les claypool from primus!

Bro, JP is John Petrucci (guitars in DT). :)

Anyways, libre yung clinic ni JM and he played 3 songs with background tape accompaniment.

Pero kahit tape lang kasama nya, he was very focused and intense.

Actually, yung part na mahirap sa overture comes at the 0:42 mark - yung puro 16th note na sextuplets - hirap! The rest is still difficult pero playable.

Hayop nga si claypool. Kakaiba yung sense of melody and rhythm nya. Ang nakakabilib pa sa kanya is he is sings while playing those crazy bass lines.

sino dito nakapanood ng Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey? yung sa battle of the bands scene, just before the movie ends and "god gave rock n' roll to you" by kiss plays for the closing credits. may astig na guitar solo dun by steve vai! 30 secs lang.. but its one of the best guitar solos ive ever heard!

may cameo din si les claypool sa scene na yun.. he played "tommy the cat" :cool:

Furian, Enki no prob dudes pag mayroon uli, bigyan ko kayo.

There was another movie way back don't know kailan, Crossroads yung title kung hindi ako nagkakamali, yung last scene si steve vai as the guitar devil against ralph machio, natural panalo si ralph movie e, pero hataw dun si vai!

I just have a question for all of you, what made you pick-up the guitar? or what event in your life made you guys say "I want to play the guitar".

i guess i'll go first...i was originally a drummer for our band in high school, then me and my friends went to farmers cubao, there was a mall tour of "The Dawn" they were promoting "iisang banka" album it was free so we watched...i was awestruct by francis reyes...he was good, i want to play the guitar i said to myself well thats how it started. He was a big influence for me. :)

There was another movie way back don't know kailan, Crossroads yung title kung hindi ako nagkakamali, yung last scene si steve vai as the guitar devil against ralph machio, natural panalo si ralph movie e, pero hataw dun si vai!

I just have a question for all of you, what made you pick-up the guitar? or what event in your life made you guys say "I want to play the guitar".

this is the movie you're talking about right? and not the one by britney spears? :lol:

http://ia.imdb.com/media/imdb/01/I/70/36/28m.jpg

my first "i gotta be able to play that" moment was way back when i was in the 5th grade. a friend and i were listening to "the unforgiven" by metallica when he picked up his guitar and played along with the opening acoustic lick. wala pang internet tabs nun so i relied on him to teach me metallica riffs and tune my guitar every once in a while. and a little more than a year later, i was finally playing good enough to be in a band. i played rhythm, he played lead and sang, and two other friends picked up on the bass and drums as well. kame yung pinakabata sa battle of the bands sa school namen, grade 6 pa lang kame! para kameng mga batang promil! :lol:

C#G#C#G#C#C# or DbAbDbAbDbDb..  what if i dont have a tunner?

get a tuner!! haha.. trust me, that'll be something you'll be using all the time. get a KwikTune (sp?) tuner, they're pretty cheap and reliable. even if you can tune by ear, you'd need a reference pitch to be able to tune the lowest string.

but if you must tune by ear. get to a piano or keyboard. i know the "middle" C is on the middle of a keyboard, somewhere below where the brand of the piano would be etched. i guess the C# you're looking for is that first black key on the next lower octave. can anyone confirm? once you've got your #6 string tuned already, you can tune the rest of your strings using that string as reference.

see how much easier getting a tuner is? :lol:

sana meron din chatroom (YM, mirc, MSN etc) mga guitar/bass players dito para real time yun usapan diba?  :thumbsupsmiley:

may ganyan na user room sa YM dati..minsan nga may tumutugtug pa! sayang one at a time lang yung mic sa YM..virtual online jam session sana! :cool:

How much is the cheapest guitar tunner?

i remember paying bout 500php for my qwik tune..may guitar shop dun sa virramall dati. dun ko binili.

http://www.americanmusical.com/images/d/p2123d.jpg

Hmmm.. Been playing the guitar for so long now.... close to 30 years -maybe about 20 years of that seriously.

In that period of time, I have had the pleasure of owning so many guitars, amps and effects that the whole thing became a collection. Throughout the years, I bought and sold these guitars --trying to keep only those I felt closest to me and tearfully parting with the best ones which helped tide me over the hard times.

I love the guitar so much I even produced a Television show about Guitars some years back.

I'm truly old school so my closest friends are a Black Gibson Les Paul Custom and a Fender Stratocaster. I have several guitars but those 2 are my favorites --The Les Paul being a late addition as I sold off my first one 10 years ago.

Setup wise, I have all my guitars set with medium action as I play a lot of slide -- specially when doing those Allman brothers line ups. I use .10 gauge to .48 strings for all of my guitars-- Fender Bullets preferred although I am now getting quite used to the sound and feel of flatwounds fron GHS.

The slides I use vary in weight as I prefer a metal one for electrics while Glass finds it easy on acoustic.

Amp and effect wise, I usually just employ a distortion pedal ( usually a Boss DS1 or Blues Driver ) and a chorus ( BossCH1 ). The Distortion usually just kicks in to add more gain to an overdriven amp--

I have several amps -- US Fenders and recently got myself a Line 6.

I am a child of the blues and will count SRV, BB King, Clapton, Gary Moore, Peter Green, Mike Bloomfield, Albert King, Freddie King, Jimmy Page, Jimi Hendrix, Mick Taylor, JJeff Healey, eff Beck and Duane Allman as my biggest influences. I play a lot of Classic Rock too - as that is also my base.

Although I can play some tunes fromi Vai, Satriani and Eric Johnson, Van Halen and Paul Gilbert...somehow... I still go back to playing the blues. CUrrently, my favorite tune is SRV's "Texas Flood" and Clapton's Malted Milk played in the style of Robert Johnson.

Rock On!

Edited by 16track

BABY I LOVE YOUR WAY

G Bm Em C F7

SHADOWS GROW SO LONG BEFORE MY EYES, AND THEY'RE MOVING, ACROSS THE PAGE

G Bm Em C F7

SUDDENLY THE DAY TURNS INTO NIGHT, FAR AWAY, FROM THE CITY

Bm E7 Am D7

BUT DON'T, HESITATE, CAUSE YOUR LOVE, WON'T WAIT

CHORUS:

G D Am

OOH, BABY I LOVE YOUR WAY

G D Am

WANNA TELL YOU I LOVE YOUR WAY

G D Am

WANNA BE WITH YOU NIGHT AND DAY

G Bm Em C F7

MOON APPEARS TO SHINE, AND LIGHT THE SKY, WITH THE HELP, OF SOME FIREFLY

G Bm Em

WONDER HOW THEY HAVE, THE POWER TO SHINE, SHINE, SHINE

C F7

I CAN SEE THEM, UNDER THE PINE

Bm E7 Am D7

CHORUS:

G Bm Em C F7

I CAN SEE THE SUNSET IN YOUR EYES, BROWN AND GREY, AND BLUE BESIDES

G Bm EM C F7

CLOUDS ARE STALKING ISLANDS IN THE SUN, I WISH I COULD BUY ONE, OUT OF SEASON

Bm E7 Am D7

**Paki tugtog, please... :) tnx

HI millhouse!

Yes, it did set me back quite a few -- but it was "The" guitar" for me ever since I started to play. It's very much worth it. Got it on my last visit to LA Guitar Center.

I have always been partial to Gibson Les Pauls as I somehow intimately connect to it's tone everytime I play it. Real smooth, creamy, almost sticky tone. The Strat is a different animal altogether with it's bite and snap-- and the two guitars are just world'd apart. I always pick up Strat for gigs or jams but the LP stays at home and lords it over my home studio. I bought an old Telecaster and this somehow completes the circle for me in terms of tone.

Aside for the ones mentioned above, I currently own 5 more guitars and none of them has a Folyd Rose trem. FRs are great-espcially when used by the right hands--but it was not for me.

I have a small studio at home which I try to fill up with sound gear whenever I can. I'm now at the stage where I'm searching for some good Digital recording equipment. Hopefully, I may be able to fully set it up with some worthy recording gear by mid next year.

Hmmm.. a 58 Standard LP is certainly one of the most desirables guitars ever- agreed! :D Darn, always been a Gibson boy myself and I'll spend more time in LA's Guitar Center's Gibson display than at any other area--well except maybe the Martins.

Rock ON!

quote=milhouse83,Aug 10 2005, 11:59 PM]

an LP custom?!? :blink: that must've set you back quite a few. me, ive had my eyes on a washed cherry '58 standard LP, and a '57 goldtop LP..i think those two are the most desirable les paul's ever! both cost at least $2,500 though.. :(

Edited by 16track

I have already postd this in the Musician's thread but I guess this is petter suited here.

My apologies for the re-post:

=========================================================

All the years I've been playing .. I must have tried out almost every stomp pedal and guitar I can get my hands on. From Stratocasters to Les Pauls to Washburns, I have owned at least one. Somehow, I always keep coming back to a few simple setups that seem to be my comfort zone.

Does this happen to any of you?

I mean, I have 7 guitars now -- A fender Strat, a Godin SD, an Ibanez AF artcore model, an Ibanez bass, an Ibanez AW100CE acoustic, Yamaha AES 420 and a Nylon string mini. I play all of them but when it comes to a big gig, I can't but help it. I just have to pull my Strat out of the case and use it. For me. There is something about that guitar that makes me use more than the others. ( This was beofer i got my LP, of course! heheh)

The other guitars are all good models and each one has it's own distinct tone. I recently used the Ibanez AF for some soft jam and it was wonderful to play some jazzy tunes once in a while although I am a rocker at heart. Playing that guitar with some friends who were into soft jazz actually was a nice experience for me as it forced me to dig deep into my vocabularly of scales. When the day came for us to play again, somehow I left the Ibanez behind and grabbed my Strat instead.

I have so many effects I decided to sell several of them last year as I simply do not use them. In a jam, I get to employ most of the wah pedals, the distortions, the mutli effects, the phasers, compressors and limiters. However, in a gig or a more serious jam, nothing works for me more like my Boss Blues Driver and CH1 Chorus. That's it... all the other effects stay in the bag.

Do you have an effect that you always use? One you can't play without?

Honestly, I suffer from G.A.S. or what is called Guitar Acquisition Syndrome. I suffer from it so much I once had 19 guitars and yet I could not play all of them so now I am down to 7.

Cheers!

:D