bonjing

Metastasis is the spread of the tumor to other parts of the body away from the original tumor e.g. lungs, liver or brain. When this happens, the cancer is stage 4 is practicaly impossible to treat. But if malaki lang yung tumor without involvement of other organs, minsan chemotherapy is given to make it smaller and probably can be removed by surgery later on.

aah i see.Alright.thanks po. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

we're slowly beating cancer

click the link in my sig and see how they're doing it

plus there's been a HUGE development in searching for a cancer cure... read below...

Canadian team discovers gene that turns cancers off

VANCOUVER

August 13, 2007 at 6:49 PM EDT

A unique gene that can stop cancerous cells from multiplying into tumours has been discovered by a team of scientists at the B.C. Cancer Agency in Vancouver.

The team, led by Dr. Poul Sorensen, says the gene has the power to suppress the growth of human tumours in multiple cancers, including breast, lung and liver.

The gene, HACE 1, helps cells fight off stress that, left unchecked, opens the door to formation of multiple tumours.

Dr. Sorensen's team found cancerous cells form tumours when HACE 1 is inactive, but when additional stress such as radiation is added, tumour growth is rampant.

Kick-starting HACE 1 prevented those cells from forming tumours.

The study appears in the advance online publication of Nature Medicine.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

we don't have a cure for it yet, but the best way really is to watch out for it and hopefully catch it in the first stages

what's worrying me is that I have read about other cancer remedies/treatments that haven't been really pushed such as Coley's Toxins <<<< very very interesting treatment (in a nutshell it's about creating a different more manageable "infection" in your body to jumpstart your antibodies into killing the cancer) the funny thing is coley's toxins was discovered in 1972, surely they could have perfected the method in almost 40 years.

At least now science is catching up to the disease, and provides a more optimistic prognosis for cancer patients. In the near future I hope to see cancer turn into HIV, wherein there is also no cure, but the treatments have advanced greatly that there are already a large number of people who continue to live normal lives despite being stricken with the disease.

f*ck cancer

• 2 weeks later...

last april my wife underwent hysterectomy. we thought all those stomach bloat, fartings, all airs/panuhot/kabuhi/whatever you call it/ulcers that wouldnt go away, would be gone.

then, this 2nd week of august, she felt week again. her colonoscopy (4 bags of blood transfused prior to colonoscopy(low blood platelet count, whatever)) showed something in her colon...

12 hours after transfusion her blood platelet count went down again...doctor's advise was for immediate surgery in order to see the extent of colon problem...

august 18 she underwent colon surgery. there, 20 lumps/polyps were removed. the affected colon was also cut and the colon joined. thus everything was cleaned as far as her colon.

biopsy showed that 1 of 20 polyps was cancer.

she is expected to have her first chemotherapy (preventive) this september 18.

last april my wife underwent hysterectomy. we thought all those stomach bloat, fartings, all airs/panuhot/kabuhi/whatever you call it/ulcers that wouldnt go away, would be gone.

then, this 2nd week of august, she felt week again. her colonoscopy (4 bags of blood transfused prior to colonoscopy(low blood platelet count, whatever)) showed something in her colon...

12 hours after transfusion her blood platelet count went down again...doctor's advise was for immediate surgery in order to see the extent of colon problem...

august 18 she underwent colon surgery. there, 20 lumps/polyps were removed. the affected colon was also cut and the colon joined. thus everything was cleaned as far as her colon.

biopsy showed that 1 of 20 polyps was cancer.

she is expected to have her first chemotherapy (preventive) this september 18.

hope and pray that your wife will do just fine after her chemo... what is the final diagnosis of your wife? what kind of chemo agent are they gonna use?

Peejay,

Colon Cancer is a relatively friendly cancer as far as the stage of your loved one. Stage II is still considered early. I am sure he was given chemotherapy as it provides increase benefit for survival (up to 90%). Chemotherapy for Colon Cancer is not as "toxic" as the ones which lay people commonly perceive. Wlang significant side effects ito like vomitting and hair loss.

I believe that your loved one will survive. They will survive more than they expect. But I think what is important is his or her quality of life. And this part will depend on their family support. Hang on, Keep the faith.

Easy

PS.With regards to stem cell use in colon cancer, malayo pa ang connection nito. Everything in stem cell research is in the infancy stage now especially when the US goverment slashed its funding in favor of research bio-terrorism. I belive China and other European countries are better off in stem cell research than in the US.

Just to give my two cents, all of chemotherapeutic agents are toxic to the body, different chemo agents different side effects depending on which group they belong i.e vinca alkaloids, nitrogen mustard derivatives, hormonal agents, alkylating agents antimetabolites biological etc...and this side effects vary also from person to person..thats why educating the patients on what to expect prior to chemo is very important...some of the patients after having the first or second cycles of there chemo quits, why? because they have not been taught of the side effects of chemo...although i have not experience having a chemo ( God forbids ) i know that they are experiencing "hell" whenever they receive this chemo..thats why family support is important. As for the colon cancer the usual chemo agent that they are giving is 5FU common side effects is vomitting nausea hairloss bone marrow depression etc and in combination with 5FU is oxaliplatin...

hope and pray that your wife will do just fine after her chemo... what is the final diagnosis of your wife? what kind of chemo agent are they gonna use?

i dont know. though a test was made (something like ????keratin and LCA staining to specify the particular chems to be used.)

am banking on the positive attitude of the doctor that they made sure that during surgery everything was cleaned up.

i sent a copy of the histopatho to a good friend doctor in PGH. he said that i should not wait for the 1 month specify and that a chemo has to be made as soon (that scares me, even). i mentioned that to the doctor (that performed the surgery) and he answered thsat the medicine they gave my wife was specified such that the chemo will be made after 1 month, that is, september 18.

my wife is doing well now and we continue on a diet more on fruits (apples, lakatan(saging), melon, mangosteen) and vegetables including myself. her color has returned, except for the weakness/slowness - care in movement - due to operation or wound - everything seems fine.

• 1 month later...
my wife was operated for breast ca 4 1/2 years ago and even now i can still recall the anxieties brought about by uncertainties... nothing is sure.. well i guess thats life.......

4.5 yrs. and looking good. Keep on smiling. The peak or recurrence for breast cancer in particular is approximately on the 2nd year. After this period, the risk of recurrence decreases with time. This means that the chances for a recurrence of cancer in your wife becomes lesser as the years pass by.

Just to give my two cents, all of chemotherapeutic agents are toxic to the body, different chemo agents different side effects depending on which group they belong i.e vinca alkaloids, nitrogen mustard derivatives, hormonal agents, alkylating agents antimetabolites biological etc...and this side effects vary also from person to person..thats why educating the patients on what to expect prior to chemo is very important...some of the patients after having the first or second cycles of there chemo quits, why? because they have not been taught of the side effects of chemo...although i have not experience having a chemo ( God forbids ) i know that they are experiencing "hell" whenever they receive this chemo..thats why family support is important. As for the colon cancer the usual chemo agent that they are giving is 5FU common side effects is vomitting nausea hairloss bone marrow depression etc and in combination with 5FU is oxaliplatin...

I agree with you that 5FU may have side effects. However, these effects are weak compared to other agents. When used in the treatment of colon cancer, we do not get a great degree of side effects as compared to its use in other cancers such as breast cancer. The dose interval and duration is faster, and it's accompanying chemotherapeutic agents do not add up to the side effects (except oxiloplatin). In my experience with my patients, I see less or even no side effects from chemotherapy with colorectal cancer compared to my patients with breast cancer.

To add, the introduction of Capecitabine (xeloda) as an oral chemotherapeutic alternative for colon cancer lowered the chances for developing side effects.

I am sorry for being too technical. But I believe that it is safe and responsible to advise a person with colorectal cancer that the feared side effects from standard chemotherapeutic agents is not commonly observed as compared to what is commonly observed from other cancer treatments

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
ANTI CANCER VEGETABLES AND FRUITS

BROCCOLI

How it combats cancer: Research has revealed that a chemical component called indole-3-carbinol can combat breast cancer by converting a cancer-promoting estrogen into a more protective variety. The phytochemical sulforaphane raises the levels of certain cancer-fighting enzymes that defend the body from cigarette smoke, fumes, pesticides & other known carcinogens.

Diet tips: Broccoli leaves actually contain more beta-carotene (i.e. pre-Vitamin A) than the florets - use leaves in purees, soups, and stir-fries. To preserve broccoli’s valuable nutrients, steam or microwave, being careful not to overcook. Avoid garnishing broccoli with fatty cheeses and creams instead, squeeze on some lemon juice or sprinkle with toasted breadcrumbs.

PAPAYA

How it combats cancer: Its plentiful store of vitamin C works as an antioxidant and may also reduce absorption of cancer-causing nitro amines from the soil or processed foods. Papaya contains folacin (also known as folic acid), which has been shown to minimize cervical dysplasia and certain cancers.

Diet tips: Choose papayas that are at least half yellow in the store. Fully green ones were probably picked too soon and won’t ripen properly. You can serve papaya in fruit salad, add it to a garlic-and-spinach pasta mixture, or just eat it on its own, letting the juice dribble down your arm.

GARLIC

How it combats cancer: Garlic’s immune-enhancing allium compounds block carcinogens from entering cells and slow tumor development. Diallyl sulfide, a component of garlic oil, has also shown to render carcinogens in the liver inactive. Studies have linked garlic - as well as onions, leeks, and chives - lower risk of stomach and colon cancer.

Diet tips: Add raw garlic to salads; use it fresh in marinades and sauces;

rub freshly cut garlic around the insides of salad bowls and over chicken

and fish fillets. Avoid dried or powdered garlic, which is less

concentrated - and less effective

KALE

How it combats cancer: Research has shown that indoles, nitrogen compounds found in kale and other leafy greens, may help stop the conversion of certain lesions to cancerous cells in estrogen-sensitive tissues. In addition, isothiocyanates, phytochemicals found in kale, are thought to suppress tumor growth and block cancer-causing substances from reaching their targets.

Diet tips: A cruciferous vegetable, kale requires quick cooking - blanching or steaming - to preserve its nutrients. When you’re done, save the nutrient-rich cooking liquid for soups or sauces. You can also use whole large leaves to wrap fillings or to layer in lasagna.

SWEET POTATO

How it combats cancer: This nutrient-dense food contains many anticancer properties. It’s loaded with beta-carotene, which may protect DNA in the cell nucleus from cancer-causing chemicals outside the nuclear membrane.

Diet tips: Go for freshness when picking potatoes - canned varieties contain less beta-carotene and vitamins C and B. Naturally sweet and creamy, mashed sweet potatoes can be enhanced with a little apple juice. Or whip the cooked tubers with orange zest or orange juice and season with cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger.

GRAPEFRUIT

How it combats cancer: Grapefruits, like oranges and other citrus fruits, contain monoterpenes, believed to help prevent cancer by sweeping carcinogens out of the body. Some studies show that grapefruit can inhibit the proliferation of breast-cancer cells in vitro. It also contains vitamin C, beta-carotene, and folic acid.

Diet tips: Grapefruit can be sweetened with brown sugar or a drizzle of maple syrup or honey; vanilla extract, fresh mint, and almonds also accent the fruit’s flavor. Grapefruit juice will give you the antioxidants and phytochemicals that fight cancer, but it’s missing the fiber that fresh, whole grapefruit offers.

AVOCADO

How it combats cancer: Avocados are rich in glutathione, a powerful antioxidant that attacks free radicals in the body by blocking intestinal absorption of certain fats. Ounce for ounce, avocados also supply 60 percent more potassium than bananas and are a strong source of beta-carotene.

Diet tips: Store avocados at room temperature until they soften. If you don’t eat the fruit immediately after cutting, sprinkle on some lemon or limejuice to keep it from darkening. Add chunks or slices to salads and sandwiches or spread mashed avocado on bread.

SEAWEED

How they combat cancer: Seaweed and other sea vegetables contain beta-carotene, protein, vitamin B12, fiber, and chlorophyll, as well as chlorophylones - important fatty acids that may help in the fight against breast cancer. Also, many sea vegetables have high concentrations of the minerals potassium, calcium, magnesium, iron, and iodine.

Diet tips: Sea vegetables come fresh, dried, or powdered. Both the Japanese & the Irish regularly use them as flavorings for broths & soups, stir-fried over rice, or as a wrap for fish and other seafood. Varieties such as dulce, wakame, Kombu, and hijiki even appear in pancakes, salads, puddings, and sandwiches.

TOFU

How it combats cancer: Soy contains several types of phytoestrogens -weak, nonsteroidal estrogens that could help prevent both breast and prostate cancer by blocking and suppressing cancerous changes. Genistein, one type of phytoestrogen, also lowers breast-cancer risk by inhibiting the growth of epithelial cells & new blood vessels that tumors require to flourish.

Diet tips: Tofu is made by coagulating the protein in soybeans - much the way cheese is produced. While bland on its own, tofu absorbs other flavors when cooked, making it perfect for stir-fries, dips, spreads, shakes, even cheesecake. It’s also a good high-protein substitute for meat, whole milk & mayonnaise.

ADDITIONAL NOTE:

Please note that ALL cruciferous vegetables (like cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, kale, brussel sprouts, etc.) CANNOT be taken raw as they contain oxalates, which if excessive, can lead to gall stones.

To get maximum benefit from these vegetables, please do not overcook them.

CAUSES OF CANCER

Not all cancers are the same. 1/3 is curable. 1/3 is preventable. 2 factors of cancer that cannot be controlled are AGE & FAMILY HISTORY.

Causes of cancer:

1. Smoking is very often the main cause of cancer. It kills us silently and drains money from us quietly. There're 4,000 harmful chemicals (though in diluted form) in one stick of cigarette. Taking one puff is 600 times worst than inhaling the exhaust fumes from vehicles.

2. Some food that cause cancer are:

2.1 Barbecued Food

2.2 Deep Fried Food

2.3 Overheating Meat

2.4 Food that is high in fat causes our bile to secrete acid that contains a chemical, which is a promoter of cancer cells.

2.5 Food that contains preservatives, too much salt or nitrates (e.g. Canned food, Salted egg & veggies, sausages, etc.)

2.6 Overnight Rice (where Aflatoxin is accumulated)

2.7 Food that is low in fiber: Our body needs 25 gm of both soluble & insoluble fiber daily. We must drink at least 1.5 liters of plain water a day.

2.8 Contaminated Food (e.g. molded bread causes our body to secrete toxins that may eventually lead to liver cancer in the long run. Never eat bread that is kept in room temperature for more than 2 days especially in a humid weather like Singapore's.

3. Specific Food & Beverages

4.1 Egg when eaten too much can cause High Colon Cancer. Risk Ovary Cancer, Prostate Cancer.

4.2 The residue of over-burned coffee is extremely bad for health. It can cause cancer.

After all the words you wrote, and after I read and reread them, I believe you have missed a major cause of the cancers that ail mankind. Milk. Yes, milk. You want to know why? Go to www.notmilk.com.

Last August 2004 my 66 year old mother was diagnosed with stage 3 breast cancer. She is already a ten-year survivor of cervical cancer. At her age, she refused any chemo, or radiation after undergoing her lumpectomy. The doctors all tut-tutted about her decision being life threatening. Instead, my mom opted for alternative medicine. Specifically, a soup made of several herbs and vegetables cooked for her by a Japanese friend of mine. Today, over three years later, all the remaining lumps on her breast have reduced in size to the point where it was hard to feel. Her breast cancer tumor market tests have consistently come up negative. And doctors have been insisting that she have annual expensive PET scans in the hope of unravelling this enigma. But I am happy to say that they all came up with nothing. In the meantime, my mom enjoys her daily afternoon walks in SM North and Trinoma and the visits to Ricky Reyes's salon.

My mom has cancer in the family. Out of a family of six siblings and of her brothers died from some form of cancer. The youngest of colon cancer at 23, the eldest of leukemia at 45, and the last brother of prostate cancer at 67. She continues to drink this vegetable soup that my friend makes and it has her doctors baffled and flabbergasted because I told her not to tell them that she was drinking this. Now I know that this kind of stuff never works for everybody. All I am saying is that I am glad that it worked for my mom. Statistically, without ever receiving treatment, she should be just that by now, a statistic.

Edited by boomouse
  • 3 weeks later...
After all the words you wrote, and after I read and reread them, I believe you have missed a major cause of the cancers that ail mankind. Milk. Yes, milk. You want to know why? Go to www.notmilk.com.

Last August 2004 my 66 year old mother was diagnosed with stage 3 breast cancer. She is already a ten-year survivor of cervical cancer. At her age, she refused any chemo, or radiation after undergoing her lumpectomy. The doctors all tut-tutted about her decision being life threatening. Instead, my mom opted for alternative medicine. Specifically, a soup made of several herbs and vegetables cooked for her by a Japanese friend of mine. Today, over three years later, all the remaining lumps on her breast have reduced in size to the point where it was hard to feel. Her breast cancer tumor market tests have consistently come up negative. And doctors have been insisting that she have annual expensive PET scans in the hope of unravelling this enigma. But I am happy to say that they all came up with nothing. In the meantime, my mom enjoys her daily afternoon walks in SM North and Trinoma and the visits to Ricky Reyes's salon.

My mom has cancer in the family. Out of a family of six siblings and of her brothers died from some form of cancer. The youngest of colon cancer at 23, the eldest of leukemia at 45, and the last brother of prostate cancer at 67. She continues to drink this vegetable soup that my friend makes and it has her doctors baffled and flabbergasted because I told her not to tell them that she was drinking this. Now I know that this kind of stuff never works for everybody. All I am saying is that I am glad that it worked for my mom. Statistically, without ever receiving treatment, she should be just that by now, a statistic.

this caught my attention.. 10yr survivor na mom mo of cervical cancer? wow!

i have a loved one who also has c.cancer..... i dont really know the details but is it treatable?

this caught my attention.. 10yr survivor na mom mo of cervical cancer? wow!

i have a loved one who also has c.cancer..... i dont really know the details but is it treatable?

Oh she still has it. Her Latest PET scan last month confirmed she still breast cancer. It also confirmed that it is not going anywhere and has in fact reduced in size.

As for the C cancer, this was treated using conventional medicine. The nice thing was that all the treatment was done in Hong Kong. As a HK resident then (and a taxpayer there) I was entitled to have free medical care for all my dependents and in the predominantly Chinese society of HK, parents are considered your most important dependents. And like a lot of medical facilities outside the Philippines, government hospitals invariably had the best facilities and the best doctors. Then my mom had chemo and radiotheraphy among others. She stayed in HK for over a year. Each day she received treatment whether as an in- or out-patient it only cost the equivalent of P250 a day. All the meds were free, as were the doctors' professional fees. The best money I have ever spent on medical care.

• 2 months later...

This is a real cure for cancer. I made this website.

http://www.curemanual.com/diseases-and-tweaks/cancer

If you need help I will answer your questions in this thread.

Disclaimer: I am not a western medical doctor and I never want to be one.

This my gift to MTC members who may be sick with cancer or have a loved one with cancer.

* Nobody move this thread anywhere... *

Edited by babymaker
  • 8 months later...
4.5 yrs. and looking good. Keep on smiling. The peak or recurrence for breast cancer in particular is approximately on the 2nd year. After this period, the risk of recurrence decreases with time. This means that the chances for a recurrence of cancer in your wife becomes lesser as the years pass by.

I definitely agree!

Breast cancer recurrence is usually within the 5 year period. If there is no recurrence, we can say that the tumor is not aggressive.

But it is very important to comunicate with the oncologist regularly.

I think you failed to mention the age of your wife and the status of the lymph nodes.

If she is postmenopausal, and her lymph node was positive, she might need an aromatase inhibitor after 5 years (if she was given tamoxifen for five years). It is so beacuse there is another peak at 7-8 years after surgery in node positive patients. This another peak must be addressed accordingly!

Roel Tolentino,MD,FPCS,FPSGS,FPSO,FMOSP (MBA Student)

General Surgeon-Surgical Oncologist

SLMC,MCM

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Dr_Ro...entino_Website/

• 2 months later...
I am not sure if this is true, but I have read that prostate cancer are caused by masturbation caused by a high sexual drive due to high hormones during in our 20's and 30's?

here is the link where I read it from.

Tingin ko di pa rin titigil mga lalake kahit sabihin mong it could cause cancer.