#4 willow_boy

willow_boy

A Willow in the Woods

• UNREGISTERED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2731 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 09:57 PM

Good morning to all US and Canada-based Peeps! :cool:

Mukhang bago yata ang bahay natin. :) Have a great day and weekend ahead everyone! :thumbsupsmiley:

#5 Wyld

Wyld

Youngest. Endless.

• Ambassador
  • 48707 posts
  • Interests:oh it takes a lot to interest me.

Posted 12 January 2007 - 11:10 PM

New home! :D

Spring cleaning na ba? :lol:

• SaintPeter5858, BrightestStar and U.P. AdMU2008 like this

#6 willow_boy

willow_boy

A Willow in the Woods

• UNREGISTERED
  • 2731 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 11:14 PM

New home! :D

Spring cleaning na ba? :lol:

Mukha nga! :lol: Sayang hindi umabot sa kanyang first anniversary iyong unang US and Canada thread. :(

Kailan ang blessing nitong thread na 'to and kailan ang chibugan? :D

#7 Wyld

Wyld

Youngest. Endless.

• Ambassador
  • 48707 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 11:20 PM

Mukha nga! :lol: Sayang hindi umabot sa kanyang first anniversary iyong unang US and Canada thread. :(

Kailan ang blessing nitong thread na 'to and kailan ang chibugan? :D

Sa April pag balik ko ng East Coast? :P

Hehehe.... :boo:

Di ka ba talaga nag po post dito nung sinabi na sasarahin sya? Kasi now ka lang nag post ulet eh! :blink:

Friday na! :D

#8 willow_boy

willow_boy

A Willow in the Woods

• UNREGISTERED
  • 2731 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 11:26 PM

Sa April pag balik ko ng East Coast? :P

Hehehe.... :boo:

Di ka ba talaga nag po post dito nung sinabi na sasarahin sya? Kasi now ka lang nag post ulet eh! :blink:

Friday na! :D

I was in and out of meetings the last couple of days so ngayon lang uli ako nakapag-post. Coincidence lang iyong closing ng thread. :)

Anyway, Friday na uli. YES!! :thumbsupsmiley:

#9 Wyld

Wyld

Youngest. Endless.

• Ambassador
  • 48707 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 11:29 PM

I was in and out of meetings the last couple of days so ngayon lang uli ako nakapag-post. Coincidence lang iyong closing ng thread. :)

Anyway, Friday na uli. YES!! :thumbsupsmiley:

Grabe. Sobrang exciting ng Friday ko.

Mag a attend ako ng ...... Seminar para sa mag nininang sa binyag! :lol:

My heart might not be able to stand it! :boo:

Anong gagawin nyo this weekend?

Parang gusto ko manuod ng Arthur and the Invisibles :P

#10 willow_boy

willow_boy

A Willow in the Woods

• UNREGISTERED
  • 2731 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 11:37 PM

Grabe. Sobrang exciting ng Friday ko.

Mag a attend ako ng ...... Seminar para sa mag nininang sa binyag! :lol:

My heart might not be able to stand it! :boo:

Anong gagawin nyo this weekend?

Parang gusto ko manuod ng Arthur and the Invisibles :P

Long weekend kami dahil sarado ang office namin on Monday. :cool:

I want to see Clint Eastwood's movie, "Letters from Iwo Jima" pero it's not showing in any theaters in my area. :( I hate to have to drive more than 40 minutes from my place just to see it. Sayang ang gasolina. :)

#11 Wyld

Wyld

Youngest. Endless.

• Ambassador
  • 48707 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 11:51 PM

That movie has such good reviews... its showing in a small artfilm theater around half an hour away from where im at... but I also saw that the Curse of the Golden Flower is showing in the nearby theater... its that Gong Li and Chow Yun Fat movie.... so its now become a toss up between that and Arthur and the Invisibles.....

Sunday im meeting my classmate in the Teacher Training Program... theyre trying to convince me to go back to teaching eh. :D

#12 willow_boy

willow_boy

A Willow in the Woods

• UNREGISTERED
  • 2731 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 12:26 AM

That movie has such good reviews... its showing in a small artfilm theater around half an hour away from where im at... but I also saw that the Curse of the Golden Flower is showing in the nearby theater... its that Gong Li and Chow Yun Fat movie.... so its now become a toss up between that and Arthur and the Invisibles.....

Sunday im meeting my classmate in the Teacher Training Program... theyre trying to convince me to go back to teaching eh. :D

That would be a good career move (teaching). Great benefits too. There's such a high demand for them all over the country these days. What are your thoughts on it so far?

#13 Wyld

Wyld

Youngest. Endless.

• Ambassador
  • 48707 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 12:33 AM

That would be a good career move (teaching). Great benefits too. There's such a high demand for them all over the country these days. What are your thoughts on it so far?

That was my first job naman talaga. Preschool teacher first for a private school then a public school....

The pay is not that fantastic but youre right, good benefits. Thing is ... they always assign the newbie teachers to the far flung schools (read: bad neighborhoods)... and while its not that big an issue for me as im teaching preK...it gets a little bit difficult to deal with the parents.

I am planning to go back but id like to get an additional certification in Special Ed before I go back. I just need to study up for the certification test.

Teaching Special Ed is more fulfilling and classroom size is smaller which allows for more individualized instruction. :)

• SaintPeter5858 and BrightestStar like this

#14 willow_boy

willow_boy

A Willow in the Woods

• UNREGISTERED
  • 2731 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 12:39 AM

That was my first job naman talaga. Preschool teacher first for a private school then a public school....

The pay is not that fantastic but youre right, good benefits. Thing is ... they always assign the newbie teachers to the far flung schools (read: bad neighborhoods)... and while its not that big an issue for me as im teaching preK...it gets a little bit difficult to deal with the parents.

I am planning to go back but id like to get an additional certification in Special Ed before I go back. I just need to study up for the certification test.

Teaching Special Ed is more fulfilling and classroom size is smaller which allows for more individualized instruction. :)

Yeah, I agree with you that it could be quite tough for new teachers. Here in NYC, the new ones also get sent to the inner cities and in rough neighborhoods.

I wish you the best of luck with your plans and goals. :cool: It is a great profession to be in. Plus, you get 2.5 months off each year with pay. :)

Regarding Special Ed, I'm assuming this has several areas in it. If you won't mind my asking, what area(s) are you looking into?

#15 Wyld

Wyld

Youngest. Endless.

• Ambassador
  • 48707 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 12:46 AM

Yeah, I agree with you that it could be quite tough for new teachers. Here in NYC, the new ones also get sent to the inner cities and in rough neighborhoods.

I wish you the best of luck with your plans and goals. :cool: It is a great profession to be in. Plus, you get 2.5 months off each year with pay. :)

Regarding Special Ed, I'm assuming this has several areas in it. If you won't mind my asking, what area(s) are you looking into?

Well its not exactly 2.5 because you get back to work a month before school starts to set up your classroom and do inservice but youre right... :) The hours are hell though, when school is in session. School lets out at 330 here but you go on working til ... well til the end is in sight.

Teacher Certification is like a ladder. You get a base certification first (like im certified to teach Early Childhood thru 4th Grade) -- from there I can take individual certifications for Special Ed, Phys Ed, Music, Art etc etc....

Then when I get the Special Ed certification I can choose to specialize and go Developmental, Diagnostic, etc... Right now I just want to pass the first round of certs... which might be difficult since ive not reviewed for it yet. :D

• BrightestStar likes this

#16 willow_boy

willow_boy

A Willow in the Woods

• UNREGISTERED
  • 2731 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 12:50 AM

Well its not exactly 2.5 because you get back to work a month before school starts to set up your classroom and do inservice but youre right... :) The hours are hell though, when school is in session. School lets out at 330 here but you go on working til ... well til the end is in sight.

Teacher Certification is like a ladder. You get a base certification first (like im certified to teach Early Childhood thru 4th Grade) -- from there I can take individual certifications for Special Ed, Phys Ed, Music, Art etc etc....

Then when I get the Special Ed certification I can choose to specialize and go Developmental, Diagnostic, etc... Right now I just want to pass the first round of certs... which might be difficult since ive not reviewed for it yet. :D

Oo nga naman. Mahirap ngang pumasa kung hindi pa nagre-review. :lol:

I asked about Special Ed kasi for laymen, we tend to think of the Diagnostics aspect of it whenever that term gets mentioned. Now does Special Ed imply that all kids who go through it have developmental issues? Or not really? :unsure:

#17 Wyld

Wyld

Youngest. Endless.

• Ambassador
  • 48707 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 12:58 AM

Oo nga naman. Mahirap ngang pumasa kung hindi pa nagre-review. :lol:

I asked about Special Ed kasi for laymen, we tend to think of the Diagnostics aspect of it whenever that term gets mentioned. Now does Special Ed imply that all kids who go through it have developmental issues? Or not really? :unsure:

Diagnostics play a big role. The challenge kasi is most parents dont want to term their children as learning disabled... and thats understandable.

The Diagnostician determines whether the child is learning disabled or not and communicates this to the parents in a non threatening, non labelling manner. From there, the child is placed in a Special Ed classroom.

However, the goal of the Special Ed classroom is to eventually include the child in the "mainstream" classroom. The Special Ed teacher gives the child enough training in coping mechanisms such that he or she can eventually join the correct classroom in the correct grade. That is in line with the non-exclusion policy of the Department of Education ....

To a large extent the Special Ed system works... the biggest struggle is really getting the parents to accept that a learning disability does not make their child retarded.

In cases where the child is correctly diagnosed as retarded, there are different interventions and courses of action - eventually they get placed in a school that is uniquely designed for them.

• DannyLopezHuang and BrightestStar like this

#18 willow_boy

willow_boy

A Willow in the Woods

• UNREGISTERED
  • 2731 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 01:08 AM

Diagnostics play a big role. The challenge kasi is most parents dont want to term their children as learning disabled... and thats understandable.

The Diagnostician determines whether the child is learning disabled or not and communicates this to the parents in a non threatening, non labelling manner. From there, the child is placed in a Special Ed classroom.

However, the goal of the Special Ed classroom is to eventually include the child in the "mainstream" classroom. The Special Ed teacher gives the child enough training in coping mechanisms such that he or she can eventually join the correct classroom in the correct grade. That is in line with the non-exclusion policy of the Department of Education ....

To a large extent the Special Ed system works... the biggest struggle is really getting the parents to accept that a learning disability does not make their child retarded.

In cases where the child is correctly diagnosed as retarded, there are different interventions and courses of action - eventually they get placed in a school that is uniquely designed for them.

Hats off to you. :cool: It's not an easy field to get into. However, I do appreciate what it does for both the kids and parents. The approach is really a big and welcome change from the old ways. I appreciate the fact that every effort is being taken to get these kids back into the mainstream. I had a cousin who was mentally retarded and died at the young age of 25. However, he did not have the fortune of going through such a program and pretty much spent his whole life at home in the care of his parents.

#19 Wyld

Wyld

Youngest. Endless.

• Ambassador
  • 48707 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 01:12 AM

Hats off to you. :cool: It's not an easy field to get into. However, I do appreciate what it does for both the kids and parents. The approach is really a big and welcome change from the old ways. I appreciate the fact that every effort is being taken to get these kids back into the mainstream. I had a cousin who was mentally retarded and died at the young age of 25. However, he did not have the fortune of going through such a program and pretty much spent his whole life at home in the care of his parents.

Whats essential is to strike a good balance between nurturing and giving the kid enough independence so that as he grows up he realizes that it is possible for him to make a life of his own, on his own.

Thats one of the good things I have seen about the education here. There is a conscious effort to steer away from labels and "specialized care". Labelling makes the disability more apparent and more ... hopeless. You know what I mean? On the other hand, specialized care, in the wrong quantity and using the wrong method fosters dependence.

Its not easy.

Personally, what I realized early on is I have to treat these kids as I would treat my own children. Thats the only way to go.

• DannyLopezHuang and BrightestStar like this

#20 willow_boy

willow_boy

A Willow in the Woods

• UNREGISTERED
  • 2731 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 01:20 AM

Whats essential is to strike a good balance between nurturing and giving the kid enough independence so that as he grows up he realizes that it is possible for him to make a life of his own, on his own.

Thats one of the good things I have seen about the education here. There is a conscious effort to steer away from labels and "specialized care". Labelling makes the disability more apparent and more ... hopeless. You know what I mean? On the other hand, specialized care, in the wrong quantity and using the wrong method fosters dependence.

Its not easy.

Personally, what I realized early on is I have to treat these kids as I would treat my own children. Thats the only way to go.

What you said about labelling is true. Reminds me of one of my favorite quotes from Carl Jung. "When one understands, one does not judge." The Special Ed program here is really a commendable one. Kids are not "condemned" to a life of hopelessness and perceived uselessness. Talagang, at its core, the program says each human life has value. :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users