What would make students study harder?

Generally speaking, in order for the students to learn effectively (without pressuring them), a teacher should learn to adapt different methods of teaching or strategies for effective teaching.

Below are examples of strategies for effective learning:

(Applicable to Secondary and Intermediate level (or even higher)

Practical examples (connecting theory with applications)

Show and Tell (reversing student roles)

Case studies (Bringing "Real-Life" Scenarios into the Classroom)

Open-ended labs (Making Students Think Deeper)

The flowchart technique (organizing the flow of thought)

Open-ended quizzes (Moving Students Away From Memorization)

Brainstorming (Encouraging activity)

Question-and-answer method (Encouraging Student Participation)

Software (Increasing teaching efficiency)

Teaching improvement (monitoring your progress)

Fast Feedback form (contributing your ideas)

http://www.engr.wisc.edu/

i agree... plus na din yung medyo stricto ang prof/teacher kasi ako gusto ko yung mga sinabi ni ms julianda and yung prof/teacher na medyo stricto nga effective kasi para sakin noon e nung studyante pa ako.

• Like (+1) 1

Being a former educator myself, I believe that the best way is to always maintain your command and respect inside the classroom. First day pa lang, dapat i-establish mo na you are someone who needs to be taken seriously, and that you don't really care if your students end up liking you or not. Be intimidating if you need to, and make sure your rules are clearly explained. Kung magiging mabait ka kasi sa una pa lang, magiging presko yan sila, at kakaibiganin ka. Tapos kakakaya-kayahin ka. Kaya dapat umpisa pa lang alam nila na professional relationship nyo, at dapat kang sundin.

Pero dapat huwag yung puro pananakot lang sa mga bata. Dapat maging professional ka din talaga. Dapat aralin mo mabuti tinuturo mo, pumapasok ka on time, at nagsosoli ng test materials on time. Kasi kung hindi, hindi ka rin nila rerespetuhin.

Try to make your lessons more interesting. Add plenty of insightful and practical uses to it on daily life. This helps get their attention to listen. Give quizes as often as you can as this one really forces them to come prepared in class. As a teacher you need to interact more with your students when you lecture. Don't just do a monolouge or read from the book. Get them to be involved in the discussion.

Make sure you maintain discipline inside the classroom. If and when you do this, make sure that your students understand the difference between punishment and a disciplinary action. Explain the the point of the disciplinary action, and how it will help them in the long run.

Then pag nakita mong medyo nadevelop mo na discipline nila, at medyo ganado naman sa pagaaral, thats the time you can losen up a bit and crack humor every now and then. Be strict but be fair.

Sabi nga the best mentors have to be centaurs half human, half beast.

Being a former educator myself, I believe that the best way is to always maintain your command and respect inside the classroom. First day pa lang, dapat i-establish mo na you are someone who needs to be taken seriously, and that you don't really care if your students end up liking you or not. Be intimidating if you need to, and make sure your rules are clearly explained. Kung magiging mabait ka kasi sa una pa lang, magiging presko yan sila, at kakaibiganin ka. Tapos kakakaya-kayahin ka. Kaya dapat umpisa pa lang alam nila na professional relationship nyo, at dapat kang sundin.

Pero dapat huwag yung puro pananakot lang sa mga bata. Dapat maging professional ka din talaga. Dapat aralin mo mabuti tinuturo mo, pumapasok ka on time, at nagsosoli ng test materials on time. Kasi kung hindi, hindi ka rin nila rerespetuhin.

Try to make your lessons more interesting. Add plenty of insightful and practical uses to it on daily life. This helps get their attention to listen. Give quizes as often as you can as this one really forces them to come prepared in class. As a teacher you need to interact more with your students when you lecture. Don't just do a monolouge or read from the book. Get them to be involved in the discussion.

Make sure you maintain discipline inside the classroom. If and when you do this, make sure that your students understand the difference between punishment and a disciplinary action. Explain the the point of the disciplinary action, and how it will help them in the long run.

Then pag nakita mong medyo nadevelop mo na discipline nila, at medyo ganado naman sa pagaaral, thats the time you can losen up a bit and crack humor every now and then. Be strict but be fair.

Sabi nga the best mentors have to be centaurs half human, half beast.

well said Sir Edmund Dantes.

Naalala ko yung isang prof ko noon na talagang nagbabasa lang ng libro tapos in between paragraphs magsasalita lang ng "O ayun.... ganun sya!'

Parang...

"blah blah blah blah.....Ayuuun ganun sya..... tapos........ yada yada yada yada....... ganyan sya tandaan nyo yan ha......yap yap yap yap"

Pag ganyan ba naman pano ka gaganahan pumasok sa klase. Eh di magbasa ka na lang ng sarili mo. Sayang pa oras mo kagigising ng maaga

• 4 weeks later...

Probably having a conducive environment, competent and friendly teachers and a student friendly Educational System. Sometimes, the educational system only caters those who are geniuses and smart. If you are dumb, you are very much left behind and forgotten. It would be nice if the school put priorities to those "dumb" people rather than the smart ones. They shouldn't put the dumb students in a dumb class so that they can have a class that has every smart students in it to raise the School's Ratings. It is quite idiotic.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Or it could distract the hell out of them. Haha

It could be. And likely a failure on the part of the educators in which their main objective is to let the students learned and not otherwise.

Students learn what they want to learn.

Pedagogy matters but inner motivation is the key driver to learning.

Exactly

i agree... plus na din yung medyo stricto ang prof/teacher kasi ako gusto ko yung mga sinabi ni ms julianda and yung prof/teacher na medyo stricto nga effective kasi para sakin noon e nung studyante pa ako.

The learning strategies that I’ve stated earlier were actually a student-centered approach in which teachers and students are equally active in the learning process; basically, the role of teachers are mainly a facilitator. I think this is more effective than the teacher-centered approach because it will help the students think and create more ideas.

Personally, I do not believe in any sort of negative reinforcement nor will I consider any sort of punishment (see Skinner’s Operant conditioning Theory) as a form of motivational learning tool. Based on my experience, there were students who can easily be motivated extrinsically and eventually motivated intrinsically.

It means that students can be motivated by any form of reward i.e. by studying hard a student can get a desirable grade (extrinsic) and while on the process of learning, he may realize eventually that it is fun in solving a word-problem in Mathematics (intrinsic) for that matter. So any behavior that is followed by a good consequence is likely to be repeated in the future. That’s all about Thorndike’s Law of effect.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

For the teacher/Profs - make the subjects interesting. Think outside the box. Don't be boring. Don't be too demanding, remember naging estudyante ka din. You can socialize w/ your students even during class and find a common interest in the subjects being taught via segway. Teach and do projects outside the campus.

Students naman - everything is about giving the proper incentive coming both from the teacher and the parents. Sa parents it's more of a reward thing. Sa teacher/prof naman it's about percentage and exemptions or even an endorsement letter. Passion is relative because I've seen students who really like their course/subjects fail and students who are uninterested, "lazy" pass.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

kung ako teacher, isang style lang gagamitin ko...tuwing exam, imbes na mutiple choice ang ipagawa ko ipapasulat ko na lang sa kanila kung anong natutunan nila sa week na yun, essay type at minimum 100 words. :P Dun magkakaalaman kung meron natatak sa kukote nila o wala. :lol:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...