Linux Anybody?

I personally think that in enterprise setups, SuSe/Novell is a better setup. However, even in enterprise setups where cost is a big factor, I would rather use Debian for ease of administration and superb package management. Apt is a very nice tool indeed -- although there are things now like yum and apt-rpm that allow the package management experience found in Debian systems to be accessed and harnessed by RedHat users.

I agree with the challenge part, if you really want to get to know how them distro's work. LFS is definitely a tease, although I never really got to actually getting one up and running by myself.  :cool:

I tried LFS, it's really painful but rewarding. I got the very sense of free software. I'm working with a Suse setup right now. As for package managers, I don't really become comfortable with it. I still want to install software from the source code to give me the most flexibility and control. The downside is you must spend a lot of time studying each package you install and you must have discipline for writing a documentation.

Another upside of installing software from the source is you don't have to worry about what distribution you use. Over time, you can hardly recognize the distribution you use to build a system using source to install package. Like what I always do, I install a minimal setup from a distribution, then install only packages I need from source.

Is Slackware diffucult to install? compared to Mandrake? Is it a basic linux distro with few software bundled? Gusto ko sana yung meron nang firefox, open office, php, mysql, and a good media player.

If you have tried other distro, I think you won't be getting a hard time with Slackware. If you are a total newbie then I guess it's difficult. Same goes with other distro. I remember the first time I attempted to install RedHat 6.2. I never got it to work the first time. But I never give up, took time reading install-guides until I got it working.

If I were you don't be afraid to try any distribution. Am pretty sure regardless of distro Linux is much easier to install nowadays compare to what it was 5 years ago. I heard nightmare stories about installing a RedHat 5.2 distibution. :P

Luckily I don't have to go thru that.

Another upside of installing software from the source is you don't have to worry about what distribution you use. Over time, you can hardly recognize the distribution you use to build a system using source to install package. Like what I always do, I install a minimal setup from a distribution, then install only packages I need from source.

Then you might be thrilled with the idea that EVERYTHING is installed from source when you use Gentoo. ;) It has a very different approach to package management going the way of the ports system used by BSD's. Though installing Gentoo usually takes from a couple of days to a couple of WEEKS depending on your hardware and internet bandwidth to spare.

I used to do this (install from source) a lot in Slackware, and used the pkg-tools to create my own slack-paks to be installed into and uninstalled from my box with ease. Although it takes a lot of kung-fu sometimes (editing Makefiles, writing docs, checking if the scripts do the right "fu") it's definitely worth it.

If you have tried other distro, I think you won't be getting a hard time with Slackware. If you are a total newbie then I guess it's difficult. Same goes with other distro. I remember the first time I attempted to install RedHat 6.2. I never got it to work the first time. But I never give up, took time reading install-guides until I got it working.

If I were you don't be afraid to try any distribution. Am pretty sure regardless of distro Linux is much easier to install nowadays compare to what it was 5 years ago. I heard nightmare stories about installing a RedHat 5.2 distibution.  :P

Luckily I don't have to go thru that.

Only other distro I've tried is Mandrake. I don't mind if Slackware's a little more difficult to install, as long as the distro is fast and stable, ok na sa akin. It would be a big plus if the distro is bundled with the software I listed in a previous post, but if not, I still dont mind as long as they're easily downloadable from the web.

Is there a good alternative to Dreamweaver in Linux?

With all of these distributions available, I was wondering: is there a degree of incompatibility between the distros? Why so many? And how well do they compare with each other?

I plan to try a distro in a virtual machine in my Windows installation so I can get a feel of it. What is a good distro for me to get my feet wet? :unsure:

It's not really an incompatibility, but rather different mindsets and ways of doing things. Distributions usually differ from each other in a few areas which are package management system used, update cycles, packaged software, and primary language. Some distros are also offered on specific hardware architectures and offer/use different tools and styles for administration and usage.

The three good starter distros in my opinion would be Mandrake, Slackware, and Debian. If you have the time and resources, you can RedHat (since after the 9 release, they no longer have free downloadable versions). Another distro for the normal user as I have posted earlier is Ubuntu. I suggest you try using the Live CD instead of installing it on a machine first so that you get used to the feel first and have a better idea as to what to expect from the Ubuntu installation.

Another choice is Fedora Core (a development version of the packaged RedHat distribution). A good thing about these distributions is that there is an abundance of free and readily available documentation regarding the installation, usage, and administration of not only these distributions, but also the software applications that come with it.

HTH

With all of these distributions available, I was wondering: is there a degree of incompatibility between the distros? Why so many? And how well do they compare with each other?

I plan to try a distro in a virtual machine in my Windows installation so I can get a feel of it. What is a good distro for me to get my feet wet? :unsure:

Quick way I guess is to go the Fedora way because it has a very established set of manuals. Once you get the hang of it other distros would be easy.

So how do you find Mandrake? What do you use it for? Do you like it? ;) Why not try something different like Ubuntu? Or Debian? Have you heard of Slackware? Anyway, there are a lot of options out there...

Nice, so far that's at least 3 people other than me who have been using Linux here in MTC! :D

I really like Mandrake. I have it on my home desktop,-dual-booted with xp. Yes, I have heard of Slackware and the other distros.

Being new to Linux, I chose Mandrake because it was the recommended distro for beginners.

I wanted to update Mandrake but figured to try another distro (updated) instead.

Looking at the features, I think I would be installing Fedora sometime this summer.

It's not really an incompatibility, but rather different mindsets and ways of doing things. Distributions usually differ from each other in a few areas which are package management system used, update cycles, packaged software, and primary language. Some distros are also offered on specific hardware architectures and offer/use different tools and styles for administration and usage.

The three good starter distros in my opinion would be Mandrake, Slackware, and Debian. If you have the time and resources, you can RedHat (since after the 9 release, they no longer have free downloadable versions). Another distro for the normal user as I have posted earlier is Ubuntu. I suggest you try using the Live CD instead of installing it on a machine first so that you get used to the feel first and have a better idea as to what to expect from the Ubuntu installation.

Another choice is Fedora Core (a development version of the packaged RedHat distribution). A good thing about these distributions is that there is an abundance of free and readily available documentation regarding the installation, usage, and administration of not only these distributions, but also the software applications that come with it.

HTH

pre that's a damn good explaination!!! :D

I really like Mandrake. I have it on my home desktop,-dual-booted with xp. Yes, I have heard of Slackware and the other distros.

Being new to Linux, I chose Mandrake because it was the recommended distro for beginners.

I wanted to update Mandrake but figured to try another distro (updated) instead.

Looking at the features, I think I would be installing Fedora sometime this summer.

Good choice for beginner distro, but I must warn you that Mandrake is notorious for very bad performance especially in cases where your hardware may not be able to follow. Fedora should be a good alternative to Mandrake and vice versa.

HTH!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Leviticus

Hello. Ive got a problem. hope you guys can help. Newbie ako with linux and i really want to try it because of so much raves. I got all the references and documentation i can get regarding RH 9.1. I also got 3 sets of [pirated] cds (kasi downloading it via internet takes sssooooooooooo long. With 3 sets of cds already ayaw pa rin maginstall ng RH! It does not accept cd 2; message is "That is not the correct cd2". Can I install RH 9.1 via the hard disc (like the way I install Windows by copying all of the installer into the hard disc) using the boot disc that I made? Please help!

Also.. which desktop environment is better? KDE or Gnome?

Hello. Ive got a problem. hope you guys can help. Newbie ako with linux and i really want to try it because of so much raves.  I got all the references and documentation i can get regarding RH 9.1.  I also got 3 sets of [pirated] cds (kasi downloading it via internet takes sssooooooooooo long.  With 3 sets of cds already ayaw pa rin maginstall ng RH! It does not accept cd 2; message is "That is not the correct cd2".  Can I install RH 9.1 via the hard disc (like the way I install Windows by copying all of the installer into the hard disc) using the boot disc that I made? Please help!

Dude your copy of RedHat CDs can't be called pirated. As GPL allows open source software to be copied and distributed for free or with fee to cover the cost of copying.

In your case, I believe your copy must be broken. Anyway you can try to copy all the contents of the CD to the hard disk but you need to create a boot disk.

Basically here's what you need to do.

1. Copy all contents of disc1 to a folder in your hard disk.

2. On the succeeding discs just look at the ..RPMS folder, copy all files/packages in that folder to the coresponding ..RPMS folder in your hard disk where you put the contents of disc1.

3. You then need to create a boot disk. Go to disc1 and look for the tool (which I forgot the name) that should allow you to create a boot disk.

If I were I would look for a new copy of the setup disks to save you the trouble of finding out the problem from an already broken installation discs.

Linux user here! :)

Started with Red Hat 7.2, then Mandrake, and now I'm happy and content with Fedora Core.

I still have Windows XP for playing games like Warcraft DOTA and The Sims 2! Hahaha! :D

Hi cha. :D Welcome to MTC. :D

I read somewhere that there's a version of mandrake (packaged, not free) which you can purchase which runs The Sims 2 out of the box. I'm not sure if it uses Wine, but I heard it was quite a good deal. Unfortunately I don't like Mandrake because I've never had a machine which can handle the bloat. :D

• 2 weeks later...
Hello. Ive got a problem. hope you guys can help. Newbie ako with linux and i really want to try it because of so much raves.  I got all the references and documentation i can get regarding RH 9.1.  I also got 3 sets of [pirated] cds (kasi downloading it via internet takes sssooooooooooo long.  With 3 sets of cds already ayaw pa rin maginstall ng RH! It does not accept cd 2; message is "That is not the correct cd2".  Can I install RH 9.1 via the hard disc (like the way I install Windows by copying all of the installer into the hard disc) using the boot disc that I made? Please help!

I suggest you get Fedora Core instead since RH 9.1 is no longer being supported. Also, those CDs aren't pirated because Linux is GPL'ed as stated earlier.

GNOME or KDE is really more of a personal preference since GNOME apps will run under KDE and vice versa.

Get CentOS 4.0 if you want a free version of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4.. or you can try the most popular Linux distro nowadays (at least according to Distrowatch.com) Ubuntu, which is Debian based. Mandriva (merger of Mandrake and Connectiva) is also supposed to be pretty good.

fedora core 2 rules!!!

redhat & fedora core is the easiest distro od linux to install.

just follow the gui based installation and your up and running in no time.

you can also check out the mandrake distro if u like...

better DE? as an experienced linux user, i'll go for kde.

gnome is better off with the newbies.

but still, it's a personal thingy. :P

don't forget to practice your command-line habits.

it's teh best tool ever. :P