Florida State University suspends all Greek life after pledge dies

#2 haroots2

haroots2

Philanderer

• (09) Manic Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3242 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 11:31 AM

Walang mangayyari dyan.  Yung mga senior kasi sa frat di papayag di dumaan ngayon sa hazing while sila dumanas ng paghihirap.  Sabi nga ni Atty. Jopoc nung tinanong ko it makes them a better man than dun sa mga hiindi frat members. Lol.

Yung mga law makers mga senior memebers din yan ng mga fraternity kaya gagawa din yan ng butas sa batas para malusutan kapag nag ka aberya.

#3 Bolj

Bolj

Tease

• (05) Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 12:16 PM

Merong mga greek letter societies nadin nag a-adopt ng no hazing policy. ang nakita kong mali dun sa may mga namamatay eh wlang senior or old member na present during initiation. Sa mga academy nga na walking distance may hospital na may namamatay pa eh, yun pa kayang mga ordinary frat members lang

#4 john clark

john clark

Cutie

• (05) Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 12:29 PM

I feel for the family of that UST law student napakasakit mawalan ng myembro ng pamilya dahil sa karahasan.

Pero maari naman iwasan pero gusto din naman nung namatay na maging myembro nung frat para sa sariling kapakanan nya.bakit? Kasi pag myembro ka ng frat lalo na sa larangan ng abugasya lalawak ang network mo, dadami ang koneksyon mo at higit sa lahat mas malaki ang potential na kikita ka ng malaki dahil sa mga koneksyon mo sa frat. So it all boiled down to the fact that the love for money will make you vulnerable to stupid decisions.

Atsaka not to sound insensitive but the victim looks a bit too soft to handle the stress of hazing kaya hindi nya kinaya at kalaunan bumigay

#5 Bolj

Bolj

Tease

• (05) Regular
  • 668 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 12:41 PM

Atsaka not to sound insensitive but the victim looks a bit too soft to handle the stress of hazing kaya hindi nya kinaya at kalaunan bumigay

You'd b surprised that there are neophytes who may look tough and all, but when initiation starts they are the best actors.
  • Queen Darkeinjel likes this

#6 d.b.g.

d.b.g.

Chaser

• (04) Casual
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 01:12 PM

May assumption of risk, alam nya pinapasok nya. ang mali kasi eh hindi muna nagpa checkup. 

Kahit anong gawin mo hindi mawawala ang hazing.

Ewan ko ba sakanila, kung ako eh mambababae nalang ako

#7 haroots2

haroots2

Philanderer

• (09) Manic Poster
  • 3242 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 01:45 PM

FRATERNITY = HAZING

NO FRATERNITY = NO HAZING

nothing in between. 

#8 DarkPill

DarkPill

Hottie

• (05) Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 02:43 PM

Lahat ng sobra nakamamatay - very basic.

#9 Gwen Morales

Gwen Morales

In love with a Dragon

• Diyosa
  • 6442 posts
  • Interests:Kissing in the rain // star gazing // listening to your stories :)

Posted 09 November 2017 - 02:39 AM

Question ko lang sa Frat Members:

How can pain connects to brotherhood and loyalty?

Why pain is necessary?

I am no sorority member but my brother was, and I respect him and my brother frat members.

It's just that I can't fathom the connection of brotherhood and physical pain.

#10 silentype07

silentype07

Virgin

• (02) Sinless
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 05:54 AM

It actually depends on the people conducting the initiation rites, they have the option to go easy on the neos or kung may galit talaga eh mang gigigil.

Sabi nga nila, wag lang sobra lusot tayo diyan.

Reg. dun sa question po sa taas:

- You can connect it to brotherhood since you and your brethren are not bound by blood. But by the principles and experiences you share with them. Been through hazing, my dad even knows it since he's also a member. Medyo patpatin pa ko nun (Hanggang ngayon din naman). Kaya lang nabibigyan ng bad stigma ang frats due to hazing ay may mga frat na sumosobra.

- Pain is necessary. "No pain, no gain" ika nga, And also madaming newbies sa frat sa generation ngayon na pag pumasok sa frat ay di magiging committed sa civic services, activities and other stuff. Mas may commitment padin talaga yung mga may pinagdaanan para lang makasali sa grupo kesa sa mga nakasali ng basta basta na lang. 

I'm not pro "extreme" hazing, pero sufficient lang. It's up to you to define what's sufficient and what's going beyond the level of human toleration, yan kasi kadalasan ang nagcacause ng death via hazing.

#11 haroots2

haroots2

Philanderer

• (09) Manic Poster
  • 3242 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 08:35 AM

Bakit kasi dapat may mamatay bago maging liable ang mga gumawa ng hazing.

Dapat the act of hazing itself makes it a crime.  Causing physical injuries to other person is already a crime.  I know hindi ito lulusot sa legislative branch kasi karamihan dito frat members kaya bias sila and will protect the interest of their fraternity.

• superseeker likes this

#12 Invictus32

Invictus32

Devirginized

• (04) Casual
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 11:45 AM

Sorry, I tried overlooking the errata but there were far too many.

Question ko lang sa Frat Members:

How can pain connect (not connects) to brotherhood and loyalty?

Why is pain (not "pain is") necessary?

I am no sorority member but my brother was (-- a fraternity member, sororities are for women), and I respect him and my brother frat members.

It's just that I can't fathom the connection of brotherhood and physical pain.

To answer your questions that seem to flow along the same vein; as a fraternity member myself, there is a common consensus that the "pain" of initiations that stays the same throughout the generations of members is considered "shared experience".

Basic concept of sociology; shared experience (especially struggle), is what bonds a group of people that otherwise know nothing of each other. This is quite similar to a country or a region undergoing tyranny. The people inside the said region will feel closer to each other since they are undergoing and fighting the same oppression. This is further amplified once they are victorious in surviving the said crisis.

Please do note that I myself am against hazing. I have undergone it but I do not want it fostered anymore simply because it's illegal. That being said, there are other ways in which to inculcate fraternity values.

My fraternity is an exclusively UP frat, there are many others like it, and I'm sure most of frats in UP still practice hazing to this day.

Edited by Invictus32, 09 November 2017 - 11:46 AM.

#13 blue+george

blue+george

Tease

• (05) Regular
  • 680 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 01:30 PM

some points to ponder. 

1. the law failed due to the fact that there is no clear thought in changing the minds of the stakeholders. (how about putting a death penalty clause there)

2. schools dont give a fock. fraterneties are still there. (they rather charge school orgs, than having underground societies)

3. schools dont have enough disciplinary measures to stop it. oh same as the police. anyone can start a frat without anyone noticing, until a person dies or there is a gang war out there.

4. people do not care about you. who the hell does? you yourself would pledge your life, time, effort, money, resource to a group that does not care about your being. you should not subject yourself to hazing.

5. may hazing na nga, tago nyo pa din. being blind and stupid, should also be punished.

6. kids are afraid of their own grades. the fock. graduate, pass the bar. there is no fraternity in that sequence. you should study and work hard and pass. hindi umaasa sa influence ng isang frat.

7. bakit pag napa away kayo tutulungan ba kayo ng frat? of course not. yun mga kaibigan mo oo, ka frat o hindi kasi kilala ka nila. try that pag nasa ibang lansangan ka. people help you and its their choice and risk.

8. no one should support or join stupid fraternities. no one. you should join your own fraternity. friends and classmates in school, people who you can trust. oh friends have legitimate names. they don't make you do things that are not needed in school. do not be a slave. 

9. have balls. be independent. you did live up to this stage. why not carry on by yourself?

10. the law should consider death penalty. people will keep doing something that they are not scared of. anyways in our society, people always play the victim mentality. sila na ang pumatay, sila pa yun magmumukhang kawawa. 

11. please enforce the law. dear police people do your focking job. dear courts have the balls to send people to die. put precedence. tell everyone that the law is in fact there and will be enforced 100%. 

12. all frat activities should be checked and audited. lying should constitute to an offense and if found guilty should face a hefty prison time. "may hazing ba sa frat nyo?" -of course everyone would say no, until someone dies. if so, all officers who said no should all go to jail. they should never practice law and better to stay in jail or a long period of time.

13. make sure that the law is stiff and punishment is steep. discipline. instill in the minds and hearts of everyone. that the law is above everyone. everyone answers to the law. discipline should be enforced. 

14. those who supported hazing, shame on you. nangyari na nga sa inyo, pinaparanas nyo din sa mga neophytes nyo. the cycle will never end until you stop it for good. don't be blind, deaf, mute, limp and dumb.

15. hintayin nyo pa ba na anak nyo dadanas nito? t#ang%na i'd murder people and their families. no need police and justices. bullets and long ropes should do the trick.

#14 kinkan825

kinkan825

Chaser

• (04) Casual
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Interests:Men.. a lover, a f**ker, a mentor, a guardian

Posted 09 November 2017 - 03:10 PM

Paano mo mamahalinang kapatiran kung hindi mo paghihirapan?

#15 Gwen Morales

Gwen Morales

In love with a Dragon

• Diyosa
  • 6442 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 03:30 PM

Sorry, I tried overlooking the errata but there were far too many.

To answer your questions that seem to flow along the same vein; as a fraternity member myself, there is a common consensus that the "pain" of initiations that stays the same throughout the generations of members is considered "shared experience".

Basic concept of sociology; shared experience (especially struggle), is what bonds a group of people that otherwise know nothing of each other. This is quite similar to a country or a region undergoing tyranny. The people inside the said region will feel closer to each other since they are undergoing and fighting the same oppression. This is further amplified once they are victorious in surviving the said crisis.

Please do note that I myself am against hazing. I have undergone it but I do not want it fostered anymore simply because it's illegal. That being said, there are other ways in which to inculcate fraternity values.

My fraternity is an exclusively UP frat, there are many others like it, and I'm sure most of frats in UP still practice hazing to this day.

Salamat sa pag correct ng grammar ko.

Hmmm.

Still, at this point in time, pain is unnecessary.

You can still uphold the "brotherhood" concept without the physical pain.

In stilling values and ideals can still be taught without pananakit.

That's why even to your children, capital punishment is not recommended.

It is for me too barbaric and primitive with the use of hazing.

I dont know ha? I am not part of any sorority kaya siguro I am not the best person to comment --- pero from an outsider point of view lang.

12-18 year old - At this age diba the virtue of fidelity is important. Fidelity involves being able to commit one's self to others on the basis of accepting others, even when there may be ideological differences.

Peer pressure, peer influence and acceptance are important in that social development ng isang individual. In that period, that's the stage wherein anyone would do anything to be part of a group. That stage therefore is taken advantaged oF a group that would entice, at the same time make damot the circle in order for anyone to "buy in" the thought of being part of the group. It is like sales thing. There is a "need" (to be part of a group) pero me bayad for you to obtain it. Since the newcomer is somewhat mas "maliit" compare with the people part of the group already --- they used that power for "displacement". At yun na nga, since everyone underwent the same process, again mentality of everyone --- ay! Lugi! Dapat the same "amount" ang ibayad of whoever wanted to be part of the group. Then, it became a norm and perpetual

Maybe, that's how the unang panabon mentality of who ever nagpauso ng hazing nuon. Maybe it is due time to change the norm.

Kasi diba?, iba na ang time ngayon. Kelangan mag evolve na rin siguro ang brotherhood. Given na kelangan mag undergo ng test whoever would like to be part of the brotherhood, somehow develop something safer, but tougher --- without physical pain.

But remember, that hindi lang ang victim dito ay yung sinasaktan --- but whoever do the hazing as well.

They can experience various psychological deviation and often they derive sadistic satisfaction. Me psychological trauma na nangyayari din dun sa mga tao who do the hazing.

Oh, masyado ng mahaba if i didiscuss ko at baka masyadong makain sa oras mo kasi i cocorrect mo nanaman ang grammar ko.

But again, torture (in physical and mental) way in accepting someone to be part of the group FOR ME is already primitive and need to evolve. Perhaps kakayanin yan if there is a smarter leader would come up a better idea on how to design an effective brotherhood chuchubels without the use of torture.

Pero I respect members of brotherhood. Getz ko yung ibang factors and ideals of having part of a fraternity/sorority. Saludo ako duon. Yuon lang, mas matalino na ang generation ngayon compare to panahon ni kopong kopong, at the same time we are now on a different era.

Sana may makadesign ng ibang strategy of "hazing".

Edited by Gwen Morales, 09 November 2017 - 03:39 PM.

#16 extreme謙信

extreme謙信

Wanton

• (05) Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 03:35 PM

Aanhin nating ang kapatiran kung ikaw naman ay pinaglalamayan...ang nagyayari kasi is bawi-bawian lang, "shared of experience" ang naranasan nila noon sa hazing un din gagawin nila ngaun sa mga bago...Ang mahirap ay depende na sa mode ng gumagawa kaya minsan nauuwi sa trahedya...Kung ang gagawa mataas ang temper o mainitin ang ulo syempre iba na kakalabasan at malamang sumobra sa dapat...Their are other ways na MAKATAO para mapatunayan natin na karapatdapat silang maging bahagi ng kapatiran...

Edited by extreme謙信, 09 November 2017 - 03:37 PM.

#17 Invictus32

Invictus32

Devirginized

• (04) Casual
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 03:41 PM

Salamat sa pag correct ng grammar ko.

Hmmm.

Still, at this point in time, pain is unnecessary.

You can still uphold the "brotherhood" concept without the physical pain.

In stilling values and ideals can still be taught without pananakit.

That's why even to your children, capital punishment is not recommended.

It is for me too barbaric and primitive with the use of hazing.

I dont know ha? I am not part of any sorority kaya siguro I am not the best person to comment --- pero from an outsider point of view lang.

11-20 - peer pressure, peer influence and acceptance are important in that social development ng isang individual. In that period, that's the stage wherein anyone would do anything to be part of a group. That stage therefore is taken advantaged of for a group would entice, at the same time make damot the circle in order for anyone to buy in the thought of being part of the group. It is like sales thing. There is a "need" (to be part of a group) pero me bayad for you to obtain it. Since the newcomer is somewhat mas "maliit" compare with the people part of the group already --- they used that power for "displacement". At yun na nga, since everyone underwent the same process, again mentality of everyone --- ay! Lugi! Dapat the same "amount" ang ibayad of whoever wanted to be part of the group.

Maybe, that's how the unang panabon mentality of who ever nagpauso ng hazing nuon. Maybe it is due time to change the norm.

However, iba na ang time ngayon. Kelangan mag evolve na rin siguro ang brotherhood. Given na kelangan mag undergo ng test whoever would like to be part of the brotherhood, somehow develop something safer, but tougher --- without physical pain.

But remember, that hindi lang ang victim dito ay yung sinasaktan --- but whoever do the hazing as well.

They can experience various psychological deviation and often they derive sadistic satisfaction.

Oh, masyado ng mahaba if i didiscuss ko at baka masyadong makain sa oras mo kasi i cocorrect mo nanaman ang grammar ko.

But again, torture (in physical and mental) way in accepting someone to be part of the group FOR ME is already primitive and need to evolve. Perhaps kakayanin yan if there is a smarter leader would come up a better idea on how to design an effective brotherhood chuchubels without the use of torture.

Pero I respect members of brotherhood. Getz ko yung ibang factors and ideals of having part of a fraternity/sorority. Saludo ako duon. Yuon lang, mas matalino na ang generation ngayon compare to panahon ni kopong kopong, at the same time we are now on a different era.

Sana may makadesign ng ibang strategy of "hazing".

Aanhin nating ang kapatiran kung ikaw naman ay pinaglalamayan...ang nagyayari kasi is bawi-bawian lang, "shared of experience" ang naranasan nila noon sa hazing un din gagawin nila ngaun sa mga bago...Ang mahirap ay depende na sa mode ng gumagawa kaya minsan nauuwi sa trahedya...Kung ang gagawa mataas ang temper o mainitin ang ulo syempre iba na kakalabasan at malamang sumobra sa dapat...Their are other ways na MAKATAO para mapatunayan natin na karapatdapat silang maging bahagi ng kapatiran...

You are both very correct Maam and Sir. Mali talaga ang hazing lalo na pag walang precautionary measures (my frat always has a brod na doctor on-site during the final rites of the neophytes).

But yes, bottomline, illegal.

#18 Gwen Morales

Gwen Morales

In love with a Dragon

• Diyosa
  • 6442 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 03:54 PM

Yun nga po, sir.

Let us set aside yung legality.

The "need" of torture pa rin ang question ko duon.

I am just wishing that any smart leader of the hood would design an appropriate, "just in time" strategies in ensuring the ideals of brotherhood is install to all its members.

Both the reciever and giver of hazing have psychological trauma.

Challenge siguro yan. Matagal na siguro. Pero diba, pain is not an ensurance of fidelity and loyalty.

Yun lang. Gusto ko lang maintindihan ang point of view ng members kasi nga hindi ako belong to any group.

(All because siguro, I didnt see the need to be belonged kasi I am ambivert. I dont need ang company ng iba. That's why I wouldnt understand the need, unlike others. Oh, well)

#19 Gwen Morales

Gwen Morales

In love with a Dragon

• Diyosa
  • 6442 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 04:00 PM

Speaking of lamay...

My brother underwent 5 surgeries (he died because of ruptured diverticulitis) and it was soooooo much of financial burden (syempre emotional din. Pero if you know di mo na masyado proproblemahin yung hospital bills eh nakakabawas, diba) ...

And us being able na maitawid yun, was through his frat brothers. Even sa wake and to his cremation, they were there... kaya I salute yung brotherhood nila.

Yun ang iniisip ko. How to get that "brotherhood" without hazing.

#20 tomagants

tomagants

Experienced

• (03) Newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 05:51 PM

for the aspiring candidates in the academe it is always an honor to pass the stage in hazing. it is a simple equation of relationship how ever with risk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users