Public Education In The Phillipines

Hi...need mtc members help!

I'm doing this essay for socio comparing public education with another country to the U.S.

I was hoping some of you kind mtc members will share some of your personal experience/knowledge

about P.I.'s public education.

any info before my June 29 deadline would be greatly appreciated :thumbsupsmiley:

* kind mods...I browsed around and I could not find another existing thread :) *

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

sumarosep eh paano naman maayos ang education sa pilipinas eh yung DECS medyo taliwas ang sistema.

i just read that DECS is going to require ALL graduating students from grade school to register during the 4 saturdays of january to submit a certification from their school na graduating sila.

anak ng patola naman!!!!!! the easiest way to do this is to require each school to submit their list of graduates to the DECS. napakadali. bakit papupuntahin mo pa yung bata sa kung saan mang registration area para magbigay ng documentong galing din sa school niya na nagsasabi na graduating siya.

parang dapat bumalik sa grade 1 yung gumawa nitong policy na ito.

SANAMAGAN MAY TAWAG DYAN!!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

as i understood it pisay (pshs) is not under decs but is directly under the office of the President of the Phils. I just dont know if the other science schools that have sprouted left and right are under the same. that was the reason why during our time when decs would declare a day a no school day due to some reasons, classes at pisay were not suspended.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
Obviously, I'm already late to this.

Whatever worth or value this maybe, IMHO our public education here is getting nowhere. It is worst most specially in the country side. Our Department of Education must or should be assessed our quality of education in the public schools.

I understand that the ideal ratio of teacher to a student should be 1:40 per subject. I read that in some places in the country the ratio is something like 1:80, so what kind of education can the students there have? Obviously nothing.

As far as public education in the phils is concerned, I used to hear or read a question ( i.e. all about public education) that's being thrown by anyone who had an honest-to-goodness intention to know what kind of education system or public education (to be specific)that we have. People who ask this were mostly from abroad. Some of them done it for research purposes and the rest were just merely out of curiousity.

In that regard, allow me to share a certain article that tackles about the crisis of such subject matter...

The Crisis of Public Education in the Philippines

By Ronald Meinardus

According to the human capital theory, the economic development of a nation is a function of the quality of its education. In other words: the more and better educated a people, the greater the chances of economic development.

The modern world in which we live is often termed a "knowledge society"; education and information have become production factors potentially more valuable than labor and capital. Thus, in a globalized setting, investment in human capital has become a condition for international competitiveness.

In the Philippines, I often hear harsh criticism against the politics of globalization. At the same time, regarding the labor markets, I can hardly think of another nation that is so much a part of a globalized economy than the Philippines with nearly ten per cent of the overall population working beyond the shores of the native land.

Brain drain. Apart from the much debated political, social and psychological aspects, this ongoing mass emigration constitutes an unparalleled brain drain with serious economic implications.

Arguably, the phenomenon also has an educational dimension, as the Philippine society is footing the bill for the education of millions of people, who then spend the better part of their productive years abroad. In effect, the poor Philippine educational system is indirectly subsidizing the affluent economies hosting the OFWs.

With 95 per cent of all elementary students attending public schools, the educational crisis in the Philippines is basically a crisis of public education. The wealthy can easily send their offspring to private schools, many of which offer first-class education to the privileged class of pupils.

More here!.

A recent newspaper article documented that an official textbook used in most public schools contained many erroneous info.

Wrong grammar, wrong spelling, wrong facts!

No wonder mali mali ang natututunan ng mga kabataan ngayon.

Turns out this textbook won the bid pala.

Nakakalungkot.

Tama ka dyan sa naturan mo. Actually, di lang isang beses kundi dalawa o pangatlong beses na nangyari yan (kung di ako nagkakamali). Iyan ay nagpapakita lang kung gaano kalaganap ang corruption. Tinitipid nila yung budget para sa mga instructional materials. Pinili nila yung may pinakamababang bid para maibulsa nila yung nakalaang budget sa naturang ahensya ng gobyerno. Hindi ba nagpapakita lang yan ng isang klasikong halimbawa ng corruption? Di natin pwedeng sisihin kung sino ang gumawa o nagimprinta ng mga libro dahil parte yan ng komersyalismo. Mas mababa ang presyo mas mababa ang kalidad ng gawa.

Pero minsan napapasubali yan (yung nga lang tungo sa malalang sitwasyon), kagaya na lang nitong napabalita kamakailan na feeding program ng DepEd. Pakitingnan ito. Malianaw na may kababalaghan na namang nangyari. Ang isyu dito ay hindi overpricing o kung ano pa man kundi ang pagkakasangkot (na naman?) ng DepEd. Por jos por santo, ano pa bang aasahan nating maganda sa ating mga estudyante sa pampublikong paaralan kung ang nagaadminister mismo ng ng naturang kagawaran ay gumagawa ng kaanomalyahan?

Kaya mananatili sa estado ng wishful thinking si Juan dela Cruz kung hinahangad nya ang de kalidad na edukasyon sa pampublikong paaralan. Librong mali-maling ang grammar, feeding program na may daya idagdag pa natin ang kakulangan ng mga guro kasi marami nang lumalabas sa bansa at gugustuhin pang mag domestic helper kesa sa magtiyaga sa kakarampot na sweldo at panay delayed pa. Kung mananatili man, dala-dala ang sideline sa paaralan. Imbes na matututkan ang pagtuturo, nandyan sa paninda nya. Bibilangin kung magkano na ang kinita nya o kung sino pa ang di nagbabayad. Ito'y ordinaryong pangitain lang at wala akong balak na siraan ang ating mga matitiyang mga guro. Hindi natin sila masisisi. At lalong hindi ang mga kawawang estudyante. Sino kaya ang pwedeng sisishin dito?

Akala ko ba may sapat nang budget ang edukasyon? Bakit kulang pa rin ang mga classrooms at buildings? Bakit mababa pa rin ang pasahod para sa mga guro? Magpasahod man, delayed pa ng isang buwan. Paano pa makakapagturo ang mga yan kung walang pamasahe, worst, wala nang pambili ng pagkain sa pamilya nya kaya liliban na lang muna sa klase nya. Ito'y isa lamang sa mga halimbawa ng pagpapabaya ng gobyerno sa kanila. Sinu-sino ba ang bumubuo ng gobyerno? Hindi ba tao? Ano ba ginagawa ng mga tao sa gobyerno? Hindi ba sila yung gumagawa ng sistema? Alin ba ang pwedeng baguhin? Ang taong gumagawa ng sistema o ang sistema mismo? Your guess is as good as mine.

I read in today's newspaper that the passing grade for grade six students in the public schools have been downgraded to 66%!. Now where do you think we are headed for with this kind of standard?. Tsk tsk tsk, talagang paurong na nga ang Pilipinas!!

Edited by dakota
Obviously, I'm already late to this.

Whatever worth or value this maybe, IMHO our public education here is getting nowhere. It is worst most specially in the country side. Our Department of Education must or should be assessed our quality of education in the public schools.

Eh kc naman eh ang mga lintek ikinukumpara ang edukasyon natin sa ibang bansa... we have to be unique... hindi yung gaya dito gaya doon. I believe our academic curriculum is to over crowded now. So long as our academics allow our students to be fluent in conversing "academically" is enough hindi natin kailangan ng sangkatutak na albert einstein. (tama ba spelling)hahahaha

I understand that the ideal ratio of teacher to a student should be 1:40 per subject. I read that in some places in the country the ratio is something like 1:80, so what kind of education can the students there have? Obviously nothing.

Ek kasalanan ng mga masa yan kadyot sila ng kadyot eh... tapos wala namam pang matrikula,saan natin expect na mapunta yan...

On the other hand I believe our curriculum should compose of 50% academic literacy and 50% financial literacy... para matuto mag negosyo ang mga lintek na masa,na wala na ginawa kundi umasa sa gobyerno.

Edited by King Nothing
I read in today's newspaper that the passing grade for grade six students in the public schools have been downgraded to 66%!. Now where do you think we are headed for with this kind of standard?. Tsk tsk tsk, talagang paurong na nga ang Pilipinas!!

Kaya tayo tinatawag na backward nation eh (and I meant it literally) tsk tsk.

matagal na pala tapos yung deadline ni ms.hottlipss para sa essay nya pero yung problema natin sa edukasyon dito sa Pilipinas hindi parin tapos. hangga't may mga taong ganid na lumilimas sa kaban ng bayan hindi natin 'to masusulusyonan. hindi pwedeng gawing dahilan ang pagiging mangmang sa mundo. sana maisip 'yon ng nakararaming tao, lalo na ng mga Pilipino.

What is happening with our country's public education system?

I was watching a GMA documentary last monday (I-Witness) and I was really alarmed with what I saw in the program, although the show only tackled the "English proficiency" of Filipinos, this should be an eye opener for those who are in government. Specially for those PUBLIC SCHOOL TEACHERS WHO KEPT ON ASKING FOR A HIGHER WAGE BUT CAN'T EVEN PERFORM THEIR JOBS WELL! shame on them!

For those who missed the show, here's the link. The show was funny, but alarming at the same time.

Part 1 of 4

part 2 of 4

part 3 of 4

part 4 of 4

Edited by Sl@MDuNk_Mitsui14
What is happening with our country's public education system?

I was watching a GMA documentary last monday (I-Witness) and I was really alarmed with what I saw in the program, although the show only tackled the "English proficiency" of Filipinos, this should be an eye opener for those who are in government. Specially for those PUBLIC SCHOOL TEACHERS WHO KEPT ON ASKING FOR A HIGHER WAGE BUT CAN'T EVEN PERFORM THEIR JOBS WELL! shame on them!

For those who missed the show, here's the link. The show was funny, but at the same time alarming.

Part 1 of 4

part 2 of 4

part 3 of 4

part 4 of 4

Alam mo ba na below poverty line ang sweldo ng karamihan ng mga public school teachers? Bukod pa doon ay may kaltas pa ang sahod at sagot pa nila teaching materials. Kaya nakakarinig ka ng mga kuwento na ang ibang mga public school teachers ay nagpupunta na lang sa HK para maging DH.

• Like (+1) 1
Alam mo ba na below poverty line ang sweldo ng karamihan ng mga public school teachers? Bukod pa doon ay may kaltas pa ang sahod at sagot pa nila teaching materials. Kaya nakakarinig ka ng mga kuwento na ang ibang mga public school teachers ay nagpupunta na lang sa HK para maging DH.

Yes, I heard they get higher wages working as a domestic helper in HK.

It's still not an excuse for them not to perform their jobs well. and as far as I know, Metro Manila Public school teachers receive around 18 thousand pesos a month (or something close to that). And it's still a little bit above the minimum wage. Ang punto lang naman ay, sana bago sila magreklamo na maliit (?) ang sweldo nila, Matuto muna silang gampanan ng MAAYOS ang kanilang mga trabaho. hindi naman makakaila na sila ang isa sa malaking dahilan kung bakit masama ang kalidad ng edukasyon dito sa pilipinas ngayon.

It's still not an excuse for them not to perform their jobs well. and as far as I know, Metro Manila Public school teachers receive around 18 thousand pesos a month (or something close to that). And it's still a little bit above the minimum wage. Ang punto lang naman ay, sana bago sila magreklamo na maliit (?) ang sweldo nila, Matuto muna silang gampanan ng MAAYOS ang kanilang mga trabaho. hindi naman makakaila na sila ang isa sa malaking dahilan kung bakit masama ang kalidad ng edukasyon dito sa pilipinas ngayon.

Wrong info. Take home pay of a Metro Manila schoolteacher is only 8,000 pesos based on a salary of about 11,000 pesos. In the provinces, take home pay is less than 5,000 pesos. The Salary Standardization Law has already been signed. It was designed to increase all salaries of government employees including public schoolteachers. School teachers with specialized knowledge will get better pay.

Take home pay ng mga public school teachers wala pang 10k. Ilang years na nilang ipini-petition na sana umabot ng 18k at least salary ng teachers. May naapprove ngayon kaya lang installment pa gagawing increase.

Ang punto dito, kung ang magaling na teacher araw-araw po-problemahin kung paano pagkakasyahin ang kinikita nila, di sila makakapagperform ng maayos.