only media can make large groups of people move.

Point in fact: the arrival of Pope Francis yesterday. Without media, people wouldn't even have known that he was in the country.

Can anyone take its usefulness or advantages naman so we can come up with a 'pros and cons' discussion? :rolleyes:

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Pros and cons about the usefulness of media?

Kaya nga, kahit siguro ang mga ampatuan, kayang kaya ibida ng kapamilya TV.

Kontrolado ng mass media ang public opinion. Naaalala nyo ba nung lumabas sa MMK yung love story ni Ninoy at Cory? Si Piolo at Bea pa gumanap. Abay tignan mo naman, literally pinagwapo at pinaganda ang mga aquino sa masa. Timing naman na the same year, nadeklara ng kandidatura itong si Ngoyngoy.

On the other hand, dahil bitter masyado ang mga Lopez sa mga Marcos, sobra naman kung idemonize nila ang buong legacy nya. Parang talo pa si stalin o si Hitler sa pagiging walanghiya. Sa documentary na batas militar (syempre produced by ABS-CBN), hindi man lang binanggit na totoo naman nung mga buwan leading up sa declaration ng martial law, nagspread ang threat ng communism mula China sa buong karatig na asian na bansa.

The way I see it, the media is so powerful, if it wanted to they can elevate the taste of the public. The public does not have any power nor resources to popularize a fad or a craze. I remember in my teens we had better quality of programming. We had intelligent sitcoms. English sitcoms were being aired and appreciated. In the last decade we imported foreign quiz shows like the weakest link and who wants to be a millionaire which the general public enjoyed.

This recent years however, the game keeps changing. Its all about winning the war for ratings and raking in more advertisers and sponsors. Ruse the masses to buy or spend for bullsh!t they don't need. Convince them that sending a text vote for a PBB housemate is an act of patriotism. Sell them false hopes of becoming instant millionaires. Who cares if we keep declining as an intelligent society. The masses are always more useful desperate and ignorant.

Nung kapanahunan ko, nagkaroon kami ng class memorial na television set per classroom. Para makanood mga elementary students ng sineeskwela mga bandang recess. Eto mga programang nakagisnan ko nung binatilyo ako na matitino.

1. Batibot, Pinpin, Awit titik Bilang at iba pa - our local sesame street. Promoted a lot of positive Filipino values sa mga bata

2. Bayani, Hiraya manawari, Sineskwela- Educational, natuto ng science at history mga bata

3. Abangan ang Susonod na kabanata- Very clever satire and commentary about pinoy lifestyle. Kahit patawa, madaming insights naman ang napupulot. There was always one character there from class A to E who was relatable.

4. Magandang Gabi bayan, the inside story, probe team- Insightful documentaries na di naman laging napapalabas kung kelan lahat tulog na. To be fair meron naman tayo nyan noon.

5. Mga noontime shows na tagisan talaga ng talent at katuwaan lang ang papremyo hindi yung tulad ngayon na selling false hopes of becoming instant milyonaryos

6. Talk Shows na kapupulutan ng kaalaman

7. Agrisiete at Negosyete na matagal ding umere at talagang nakakapagbigay ng livelihood skills sa mga manonood.

Basta marami pa.

Ang punto ko, 2 decades ago, our programming had variety. Kapupulutan mo ng totoong values at karunungan. Di tulad ngayon na para bang sinasadya talaga ng media pabobohin na lamang tayo

We need to revive this to uplift the masses. Too bad the networks are more concerned with profit than uplifting the masses. Seems corporate social responsibility is not a priority with the networks.

This is a very good example. What a waste.

Does this mean that more Filipinos care about Kris's child rather than something world changing?

It sure seems so....

Most Filipinos doesn't care about world issues. :( ANC is a good news channel than the local news of 2 and 7.

Actually, ANC belongs to Channel 2. It is the news network of the mother station.

Sa journalism elective subject namin noon, ang sabi "A man being bitten by a dog is not news. It happens everyday. A man biting a dog, now that the news".

Sana nga si Bimby na lang yung kumagat kay Prada, baka naging interesado pa ako

LOL!! Good one!!

The target market of media is mostly the masa when it comes to TV programs. Both are gainers. The masa prefers to be entertained considering the kind of situation they are in. While the media, the higher the rating they have with their programs, the more advertisement they'll get. That's where they get their profit.

Like I said earlier, it's sad that media is more concerned with profit than it is about uplifting the masses. Media would be so much more helpful if they had informative programs on how citizens should behave. Or create tele novelas where there's a lesson to be learned. Teach the masses what constitutes what it is to be a good citizen. Emphasize the difference between good and bad behavior. They could air these in 30 minute segments in between regular programming.

Advertising through media is fine, marketing yan and that's really how they do their business. How else can the sponsors get their word out about their products if they will not rely on running 10-20 seconder airtime ads during primetime hours or putting full page ads on print? The only adverse effect is just to get people to buy their wares, that's it. It's business, nothing really wrong with that. Good thing some media does put up disclaimer warning consumers about possible scam on ads and inviting wary customers to report it to them once found.

I'm no expert on this subject matter and I never worked for any media outfit pero I'm sharing na lang din based on what I have noticed. The higher the ratings a channel gets, the better chances that sponsors will get to sign a deal with them. And nagkaka-problema lang is how media outfits tend to go overboard with their programming to get those ratings and attract more sponsorships. Unscrupulous and bias bordering into crass presentation of the content is the name of the game now - it doesn't matter how they do it as long as the madla are happy with what they watch while enjoying their dinner then all's good. It's no longer about bringing awareness to the people, we're way beyond that.

Same goes to local tabloids, I used to be a victim of irresponsible journalism before. They don't care about the specifics facts, the writers just put and exaggerate some details para umabot sa deadline and have it print ready ASAP. Media's don't care about the implications that these actions do to people no more as long as the story sells. In the end, pera-pera na lang talaga ang labanan.

So very true. What we should all be aware of is that not everything that is presented in television is the truth. Advertisements showing how Tide does a better cleaning job than the other leading brand is really laughable. Super crude.

US commercials are a lot more sophisticated. Sometimes even I get drawn into their sales pitch because the commercials are very compelling and convincing. Many commercials are also very witty and funny. When it comes to the quality of commercials, there's no comparing Philippine commercials with US commercials.

LOL. Media is so shallow.

Hindi na nga sila marunong magpriority ng ibabalita eh. Mas nauuna pang binabalita at binibigyang importansya ang kababawan kesa yung impormasyon na kelangan malaman ng masa. Its all about sensationalism na lang parati. Habang buong mundo pinaguusapan ang epekto sa pandaigdigang ekonomiya ng pag launch ng north korea ng misle nila, tayo ano pinaguusapan natin? Hiwalayang Kris at James! Pagreretiro ni Kris sa showbiz na di naman tinuloy.

Pag panalo si Pacquiao sa laban, puros yun na lang yung binabalita. Para sakin, sa sports section lang dapat ihighlight yung laban ni Pacquiao. May ibang impormasyon o balita na mas dapat pagusapan. At kelangan pa ba ifeature sa TV patrol yung bago nyang yate, yung bagong boyfriend ni Mommy Dionisia? O yung isang FilAm na panalo sa isang singing contest? Yung bag collection ni Kris Aquino?

I miss the time when buhay pa sina kiko evangelista at may portion ng TV patrol na lahat ng anchors magbibigay ng MATALINONG commentary tungkol sa mga pressing issues natin.

We need to revive this to uplift the masses. Too bad the networks are more concerned with profit than uplifting the masses. Seems corporate social responsibility is not a priority with the networks.

Tama! We need to promote progressive attitude sa masa. Nung highschool ako sumikat yung slogan na "Ayoko maging dukha!". Ngayon parang gusto pa yata ng media na akapin na lang nila pagiging dukha nila. Na isiping biktima na lang sila lagi. Na ang sulusyon sa problema nila, ay sumali sila sa mga pacontest kung saan mananalo sila ng 1 million.

Sabi ko nga, sana may gumawa ng documentary about the aftermath of winning a million or two sa mga naging contest sa TV. Lalong lalo na sa wowowee o laban o bawi. Pupusta ako ng isang buwang sweldo ko, karamihan sa kanila mahirap pa din. Kahit ba sabihing pangkabuhayan showcase binigay mo, marunong ba yan sila talaga magpatakbo ng maliit na negosyo man lang?

• Like (+1) 1

There is one thing I don't like about the media. I always hear "Sa hirap ng buhay ngayon". I'm afraid that for some, it would be an incentive to strive harder but for a lot, it would invoke self pity and encourage mendicancy. I believe that media has a moral obligation to educate people and not lead them to despair. But sigue. How do they measure the "hirap ng buhay ngayon"? From what I have seen kasi is that the poor before could not eat oul but now I see them at Jollibee, etc. The poor before did not have telephones but not anymore. To communicate with love ones before, one had to go to the post office but now may video pa from home. Nuon masaya ka na kung may bisikleta but now may motor ka na and yung bisikleta nakasakay pa sa kotse.

Hindi kaya what the media means by "hirap ng buhay ngayon" is that one has to work in order to have money? E madali lng ang work. Tambay ka lang sa parking, pito dito pito duon, may kita ka na. Or unahan mo yung tumatawag ng taxi. Or mag barker - as if kung wala ka, walang sasakay sa jeepney. So ang dali, diba?

• Like (+1) 1

Hindi na nga sila marunong magpriority ng ibabalita eh. Mas nauuna pang binabalita at binibigyang importansya ang kababawan kesa yung impormasyon na kelangan malaman ng masa. Its all about sensationalism na lang parati. Habang buong mundo pinaguusapan ang epekto sa pandaigdigang ekonomiya ng pag launch ng north korea ng misle nila, tayo ano pinaguusapan natin? Hiwalayang Kris at James! Pagreretiro ni Kris sa showbiz na di naman tinuloy.

Pag panalo si Pacquiao sa laban, puros yun na lang yung binabalita. Para sakin, sa sports section lang dapat ihighlight yung laban ni Pacquiao. May ibang impormasyon o balita na mas dapat pagusapan. At kelangan pa ba ifeature sa TV patrol yung bago nyang yate, yung bagong boyfriend ni Mommy Dionisia? O yung isang FilAm na panalo sa isang singing contest? Yung bag collection ni Kris Aquino?

I miss the time when buhay pa sina kiko evangelista at may portion ng TV patrol na lahat ng anchors magbibigay ng MATALINONG commentary tungkol sa mga pressing issues natin.

Tama! We need to promote progressive attitude sa masa. Nung highschool ako sumikat yung slogan na "Ayoko maging dukha!". Ngayon parang gusto pa yata ng media na akapin na lang nila pagiging dukha nila. Na isiping biktima na lang sila lagi. Na ang sulusyon sa problema nila, ay sumali sila sa mga pacontest kung saan mananalo sila ng 1 million.

Sabi ko nga, sana may gumawa ng documentary about the aftermath of winning a million or two sa mga naging contest sa TV. Lalong lalo na sa wowowee o laban o bawi. Pupusta ako ng isang buwang sweldo ko, karamihan sa kanila mahirap pa din. Kahit ba sabihing pangkabuhayan showcase binigay mo, marunong ba yan sila talaga magpatakbo ng maliit na negosyo man lang?

I can vouch for this. I've helped some families in the past by providing them with money to set-up small carinderias/sari sari stores. All, without exception, went belly-up. These families just didn't know how to properly manage a small business enterprise. They sold their stock on credit and were never re-paid by their debtor. I could only shake my head in disgust.

I can vouch for this. I've helped some families in the past by providing them with money to set-up small carinderias/sari sari stores. All, without exception, went belly-up. These families just didn't know how to properly manage a small business enterprise. They sold their stock on credit and were never re-paid by their debtor. I could only shake my head in disgust.

Instant milyoranryo ka halimbawa, nanalo ka 1 million. Ang alam ko may tax pa yan. Pero sabihin natin walang tax nga premyo mo.

Kung wala kang idea pano maghandle ng 1 million, ano ang una mong gagawin pag sumayad na yan sa palad mo?

Handa syempre. Marami makikikain, ang pinoy dapat share ang blessing. Sige lang sa handa, gawin ng engrande, palechon sa buong barangay.

Tapos, syempre yung balato. Balato sa kamaganak, sa mga kaibigan, sa mga lalapit. Kasi pag di mo ishare blessing mo sa kanila, tatawagin kang maramot

Magouting, magenjoy kayong maganak, shopping nito shopping nyan. Bilhin na yung tricycle na gusto nung tiyuhin na nasa probinsya. Marami naman yang 1 million na yan, di yan mauubos

Now kung gross underestimation ko, 20-30% ng premyo mo wala na. So gusto mo na lagay sa maayos yung pera mo. Anong uunahin mo? Bahay siguro. Pero makakabili ka pa ba ng bahay worth 700K na kasya pamilya mo sa isang maayos na komunidad? O at least pangdownpayment siguro pwede pa. PLus downpayment sa sasakyan. Tapos mga kasangkapan syempre.

Now ubos na pera, yung matitira pa siguro pwede mo inegosyo. Eh anong negosyo alam mo? Extra extra ka lang naman dati at sinuwerte ka lang na manalo sa eat bulaga. Pano na yung hulog na dagdag sa buwanan mong obligasyon? Pano yung bayad sa amelyar at iba pang buwis? Mas mataas na upkeep mo, so wala ka naman cash inflow. Pano na?

Kaya nga, Ignorante lang talaga ang maniniwalang malaking halaga ang 1 million sa panahon na ito. Akala ng masa, pag nabigyan ng 1 million, buhay celebrity na sila na pashopping shopping na lang lol.

• Like (+1) 1

One million pesos was worth a lot of money maybe 30 years ago. One could make that amount last a lot longer than it would today. But that's not the point. The point is if people do not know how to properly manage money, they will eventually lose everything. The examples you mentioned above are some clear indicators of mismanagement of money.

The saying that a fool and his money are soon parted is truly applicable here. The saying that "easy come easy go" also applies. If people work hard to earn money rather than simply win it in a game show or receive it from a benefactor, perhaps they would be more prudent in the use of that money. Iba ang pinaghirapan mo yung kinita mo.

Which is why it is so important for people to earn a living on their own without depending on anyone. The worker who earns values money more because they earned that money through blood, sweat and tears. People who receive money rather than earn it do not value money because they have no idea what the wage earner went through to get that money.

It is very common for a sole breadwinner to give money to their families. Members of the families sometimes do not appreciate the hard work put in by the wage earner. So all the hard work of the wage earner goes to family members who may foolishly spend the money on non-essential things.

It is important for other members of the family not to rely on a sole bread winner. Every member of the family should be expected to find work and contribute to the family income. Minors should all be sent to school, their tuition funded by older family members who are all gainfully employed. Family members of working age who do not find a job should not be supported by the family. Even within families, mendicant mentality should never be tolerated.

There is one thing I don't like about the media. I always hear "Sa hirap ng buhay ngayon". I'm afraid that for some, it would be an incentive to strive harder but for a lot, it would invoke self pity and encourage mendicancy. I believe that media has a moral obligation to educate people and not lead them to despair. But sigue. How do they measure the "hirap ng buhay ngayon"? From what I have seen kasi is that the poor before could not eat oul but now I see them at Jollibee, etc. The poor before did not have telephones but not anymore. To communicate with love ones before, one had to go to the post office but now may video pa from home. Nuon masaya ka na kung may bisikleta but now may motor ka na and yung bisikleta nakasakay pa sa kotse.

Hindi kaya what the media means by "hirap ng buhay ngayon" is that one has to work in order to have money? E madali lng ang work. Tambay ka lang sa parking, pito dito pito duon, may kita ka na. Or unahan mo yung tumatawag ng taxi. Or mag barker - as if kung wala ka, walang sasakay sa jeepney. So ang dali, diba?

What you have stated is clearly the manifestation of culturist (theory) in which "people interact with media to create their own meanings out of the images and messages they receive".

In Filipino culture, we have the so-called folklore which constitutes superstitious beliefs, sayings, etc. People used to like to hear and read them. Eventually, the advent of mass media has made them mundane. They are now even susceptible to believe in what the media has ever been creating – fallacies and manipulations.

What's funny is that actors and actresses who portray villains/contrabida are disliked in real life by some people. The masa think that the contrabida actor/actress are really bad. Goes to show that some people cannot distinguish fantasy from reality.

This is how the administration now doing to Binay. They want to portray him as corrupt (even true or not doesn't matter). The public will believe it because the media say so.

Kaya nga, kahit siguro ang mga ampatuan, kayang kaya ibida ng kapamilya TV.

Kontrolado ng mass media ang public opinion. Naaalala nyo ba nung lumabas sa MMK yung love story ni Ninoy at Cory? Si Piolo at Bea pa gumanap. Abay tignan mo naman, literally pinagwapo at pinaganda ang mga aquino sa masa. Timing naman na the same year, nadeklara ng kandidatura itong si Ngoyngoy.

On the other hand, dahil bitter masyado ang mga Lopez sa mga Marcos, sobra naman kung idemonize nila ang buong legacy nya. Parang talo pa si stalin o si Hitler sa pagiging walanghiya. Sa documentary na batas militar (syempre produced by ABS-CBN), hindi man lang binanggit na totoo naman nung mga buwan leading up sa declaration ng martial law, nagspread ang threat ng communism mula China sa buong karatig na asian na bansa.

The way I see it, the media is so powerful, if it wanted to they can elevate the taste of the public. The public does not have any power nor resources to popularize a fad or a craze. I remember in my teens we had better quality of programming. We had intelligent sitcoms. English sitcoms were being aired and appreciated. In the last decade we imported foreign quiz shows like the weakest link and who wants to be a millionaire which the general public enjoyed.

This recent years however, the game keeps changing. Its all about winning the war for ratings and raking in more advertisers and sponsors. Ruse the masses to buy or spend for bullsh!t they don't need. Convince them that sending a text vote for a PBB housemate is an act of patriotism. Sell them false hopes of becoming instant millionaires. Who cares if we keep declining as an intelligent society. The masses are always more useful desperate and ignorant.

Nung kapanahunan ko, nagkaroon kami ng class memorial na television set per classroom. Para makanood mga elementary students ng sineeskwela mga bandang recess. Eto mga programang nakagisnan ko nung binatilyo ako na matitino.

1. Batibot, Pinpin, Awit titik Bilang at iba pa - our local sesame street. Promoted a lot of positive Filipino values sa mga bata

2. Bayani, Hiraya manawari, Sineskwela- Educational, natuto ng science at history mga bata

3. Abangan ang Susonod na kabanata- Very clever satire and commentary about pinoy lifestyle. Kahit patawa, madaming insights naman ang napupulot. There was always one character there from class A to E who was relatable.

4. Magandang Gabi bayan, the inside story, probe team- Insightful documentaries na di naman laging napapalabas kung kelan lahat tulog na. To be fair meron naman tayo nyan noon.

5. Mga noontime shows na tagisan talaga ng talent at katuwaan lang ang papremyo hindi yung tulad ngayon na selling false hopes of becoming instant milyonaryos

6. Talk Shows na kapupulutan ng kaalaman

7. Agrisiete at Negosyete na matagal ding umere at talagang nakakapagbigay ng livelihood skills sa mga manonood.

Basta marami pa.

Ang punto ko, 2 decades ago, our programming had variety. Kapupulutan mo ng totoong values at karunungan. Di tulad ngayon na para bang sinasadya talaga ng media pabobohin na lamang tayo

it's a function of economics.

2 decades ago TVs were prohibitively expensive, especially during the 70s and the 80s. It was a pretty common scene back then to have multiple families share 1 TV. You could actually estimate how much a family made by the number of TVs that they had. I still remember being stoked that we had bought a second TV.

Back then TVs were owned by the middle class up, poorer families had to settle for radio or in some cases "panood" through the windows of their better off neighbors.

Which explains the quality of the shows back then, the TV had content that the middle and upper classes cared about. We even had english newscasts (Harry Gasser, Frankie Evangelista, were guys that could give Walter Cronkite a run for his money) We had local shows that were in English (oh no it's johhny, etc.) and intelligent sitcoms like "abangan ang susunod na kabanata" and Mongolian Barbecue. They all catered to a more educated audience.

Then TVs become less and less expensive, and soon you'd see TV aerials on top of squatter's shanties, now everyone had a TV. Content also changed then, the english shows were pushed out and replaced with simpler and simpler shows. Less complicated content that anyone could understand with themes that will attract more and more of the masa. Attract a wider audience and more advertising money will be spent.

And that's why mainstream media is how it is today, it now reaches to an almost infinite number of people everyday, the majority of which (especially in the Philippines) are poor and have nothing better to do than stare at the box for hours at a time. And it's not just TV, radio is suffering the same thing. What the programming of AM was before, you can now listen to in FM now. The tacky celebrity talk shows, that annoying palengkera voice you hear on the radio isn't on AM, it's on FM because more people can access FM now. The specialty radio stations that cater to specific genres like jazz and rock are now extinct because it's no longer financially viable.

Mainstream media, because of the way its built, will always cater to the lowest common denominator to be able to attract the widest audience possible. It's the way they do business. and it's not just a local thing, it's the same in the US (sh1t reality shows, never ending shows about pawnshops, and auctions, gossip, etc.) They all cater to the lowest common denominator.

BUT

Like I've always maintained, the internet is the great equalizer.

If you don't like mainstream media, head online and get the content that YOU want. there's literally millions of topics waiting to be explored on the net all you have to do is fire it up. From podcasts to web only TV shows, there's millions of gigabytes of content out there just waiting for you. The internet has democratized media, and its wonderful. Whereas before you only had the channels on your TV to choose from, and you always had to bend their way - watch this, eat this, do this, etc. Now you have a choice.

And I think that this is the reason why kids (and I refer to the global collective of young people, not just Filipinos) are more intelligent now. A lot of them can now think for themselves, and form their own opinions. I never learned that until I was an adult.

it's a function of economics.

2 decades ago TVs were prohibitively expensive, especially during the 70s and the 80s. It was a pretty common scene back then to have multiple families share 1 TV. You could actually estimate how much a family made by the number of TVs that they had. I still remember being stoked that we had bought a second TV.

Back then TVs were owned by the middle class up, poorer families had to settle for radio or in some cases "panood" through the windows of their better off neighbors.

Which explains the quality of the shows back then, the TV had content that the middle and upper classes cared about. We even had english newscasts (Harry Gasser, Frankie Evangelista, were guys that could give Walter Cronkite a run for his money) We had local shows that were in English (oh no it's johhny, etc.) and intelligent sitcoms like "abangan ang susunod na kabanata" and Mongolian Barbecue. They all catered to a more educated audience.

Then TVs become less and less expensive, and soon you'd see TV aerials on top of squatter's shanties, now everyone had a TV. Content also changed then, the english shows were pushed out and replaced with simpler and simpler shows. Less complicated content that anyone could understand with themes that will attract more and more of the masa. Attract a wider audience and more advertising money will be spent.

And that's why mainstream media is how it is today, it now reaches to an almost infinite number of people everyday, the majority of which (especially in the Philippines) are poor and have nothing better to do than stare at the box for hours at a time. And it's not just TV, radio is suffering the same thing. What the programming of AM was before, you can now listen to in FM now. The tacky celebrity talk shows, that annoying palengkera voice you hear on the radio isn't on AM, it's on FM because more people can access FM now. The specialty radio stations that cater to specific genres like jazz and rock are now extinct because it's no longer financially viable.

Mainstream media, because of the way its built, will always cater to the lowest common denominator to be able to attract the widest audience possible. It's the way they do business. and it's not just a local thing, it's the same in the US (sh1t reality shows, never ending shows about pawnshops, and auctions, gossip, etc.) They all cater to the lowest common denominator.

BUT

Like I've always maintained, the internet is the great equalizer.

If you don't like mainstream media, head online and get the content that YOU want. there's literally millions of topics waiting to be explored on the net all you have to do is fire it up. From podcasts to web only TV shows, there's millions of gigabytes of content out there just waiting for you. The internet has democratized media, and its wonderful. Whereas before you only had the channels on your TV to choose from, and you always had to bend their way - watch this, eat this, do this, etc. Now you have a choice.

And I think that this is the reason why kids (and I refer to the global collective of young people, not just Filipinos) are more intelligent now. A lot of them can now think for themselves, and form their own opinions. I never learned that until I was an adult.

Now if only they would increase the speed of local internet to handle the huge amounts of gigabytes that comprise these alternative content. I think the Philippines has one of the slowest internet speeds in the world if I'm not mistaken.

• Like (+1) 1

Now if only they would increase the speed of local internet to handle the huge amounts of gigabytes that comprise these alternative content. I think the Philippines has one of the slowest internet speeds in the world if I'm not mistaken.

It's true, our country has (one of) the slowest internet speeds not only in Asia but in the entire world. And I can only surmise that the continuous increasing number of internet users in PH might one of the reasons - aside from its enormous cost (distribution of internet infrastructure throughout the country) and corruption in the government.

It's true, our country has (one of) the slowest internet speeds not only in Asia but in the entire world. And I can only surmise that the continuous increasing number of internet users in PH might one of the reasons - aside from its enormous cost (distribution of internet infrastructure throughout the country) and corruption in the government.

the cost isn't that enormous, it's just that PLDT doesn't want to shoulder it.

Yeah that's true. Before there was a lot of competition. Smart, Talk and Text, Extelcom, Islacom, Globe, Digitel, etc. Then the big companies bought out the little ones and before anyone knew it, we now have only two major telecom players: Smart/PLDT and Globe. Like we're back in the bad old days of monopolies.

• Like (+1) 1

walang ngipin ang batas sa atin in terms of protecting consumers on telecommunication. in other countries, people paid for the data they consume, not on the speed of the internet. unlike sa pinas, unlimited internet access pero mabagal naman ang speed.

• Like (+1) 2

Yeah that's true. Before there was a lot of competition. Smart, Talk and Text, Extelcom, Islacom, Globe, Digitel, etc. Then the big companies bought out the little ones and before anyone knew it, we now have only two major telecom players: Smart/PLDT and Globe. Like we're back in the bad old days of monopolies.

Right. Whereas spin-offs was the name of the game years ago, today, it's mergers that are limiting the number of players in the market. Don't we have anti-trust laws that make this illegal?

That says it all.

Misleading advertisements
During the hearing, DTI Undersecretary Victorio Mario Dimagiba also pointed out that telco companies only mention maximum Internet speeds in their advertisements, but do not talk about the minimum speeds that consumers could possibly experience.
"We should advertise what is our assured speed and people should be paying on the assured speed and not based on ‘up to’," Senator Aquino told reporters after the hearing.
"DOJ is also coming out with a memorandum circular stating na iyong advertisements ng ating telcos, kailangan ding mas malinaw para sa mamamayan natin," he added.

walang ngipin ang batas sa atin in terms of protecting consumers on telecommunication. in other countries, people paid for the data they consume, not on the speed of the internet. unlike sa pinas, unlimited internet access pero mabagal naman ang speed.

We need consumer advocates like Ralph Nader to protect consumers, not only in the telecommunications industry but protection for consumers across the board including but not limited to airline services, hospital services, public transportation services, etc.

• Like (+1) 2

We need consumer advocates like Ralph Nader to protect consumers, not only in the telecommunications industry but protection for consumers across the board including but not limited to airline services, hospital services, public transportation services, etc.

Agree pre! How I wish we have someone like him in the RP.....medyo may mga umaalma na "activist-turned-solons" and civil rights / NGOs like Gabriela or Neri Colmenares na nasa limelight whenever women or the "poor" ang dehado, but you can still see a stint of political interest sa mga pinaglalaban nila.

I had adored what former sen. lito lapid did before, kahit na medyo kakaiba ung ibang bills na sinumbmit nya like the junk food bill, he still protected consumer on medicine, legal assistance etc.