Blood Pressure

Elevated BP has many causes. Pero in most cases, weight is a factor, especially in obesity. Always go back to basics, diet and exercise. Smoking is also a big factor, it reduces the elasticity of the arteries preventing good blood flow. This are the main things that can be controlled easily. Other factors like genetics, age and diseases ay mahirap ma control. 

Kahit walking 10/15 mins a day will help reduce the risk of hypertension.

5 hours ago, Disso Eleginoides said:

This claim is wrong. Obesity has an population attributable risk of only 23.1% for hypertension. Tobacco use has more than three times this effect (70.3%). Even alcohol (33.6%) has a stronger effect than obesity.

"it has been estimated that 60–70% of hypertension in adults is attributable to adiposity."

"obese individuals have a 3.5-fold increased likelihood of having hypertension"

"the Framingham Heart Study, a 5% weight gain was associated with a 20–30% increase in hypertension incidence, and the Harvard Male Alumni study found a weight gain of 25 pounds was associated with a 60% increase in hypertension incidence"

Kotchen, Theodore A. “Obesity-Related Hypertension: Epidemiology, Pathophysiology, and Clinical Management.” American Journal of Hypertension, vol. 23, no. 11, 2010, pp. 1170–1178., https://doi.org/10.1038/ajh.2010.17

I was not saying being overweight has the highest risk for hypertension, I simply stated that in most cases of hypertension, weight will be a factor. Btw, smoking has increased risk of cardiovascular diseases but there is no definite study indicating that by just smoking (being a lone factor) leads to hypertension. But it is proven that smoking does acutely elevates BP and smoking combined with factors like drinking alcohol, weight gain, age, etc does lead to higher risk of hypertension.

18 hours ago, Jacknife said:

"it has been estimated that 60–70% of hypertension in adults is attributable to adiposity."

"obese individuals have a 3.5-fold increased likelihood of having hypertension"

"the Framingham Heart Study, a 5% weight gain was associated with a 20–30% increase in hypertension incidence, and the Harvard Male Alumni study found a weight gain of 25 pounds was associated with a 60% increase in hypertension incidence"

Kotchen, Theodore A. “Obesity-Related Hypertension: Epidemiology, Pathophysiology, and Clinical Management.” American Journal of Hypertension, vol. 23, no. 11, 2010, pp. 1170–1178., https://doi.org/10.1038/ajh.2010.17

I was not saying being overweight has the highest risk for hypertension, I simply stated that in most cases of hypertension, weight will be a factor. Btw, smoking has increased risk of cardiovascular diseases but there is no definite study indicating that by just smoking (being a lone factor) leads to hypertension. But it is proven that smoking does acutely elevates BP and smoking combined with factors like drinking alcohol, weight gain, age, etc does lead to higher risk of hypertension.

Thank you for your clarification. It is important, I think you will agree, that the advice given here is specific and supported by evidence. 

1 hour ago, Disso Eleginoides said:

Thank you for your clarification. It is important, I think you will agree, that the advice given here is specific and supported by evidence. 

This is a place for an informal exchange of information. It is healthy to question post/claims for it will further improve the exchange of ideas between members. I apologize if my phrasing lead to miscommunication and thank you for noticing it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/11/2021 at 5:05 AM, Jacknife said:

Elevated BP has many causes. Pero in most cases, weight is a factor, especially in obesity. Always go back to basics, diet and exercise. Smoking is also a big factor, it reduces the elasticity of the arteries preventing good blood flow. This are the main things that can be controlled easily. Other factors like genetics, age and diseases ay mahirap ma control. 

if weight is the cause of blood pressure then why is it sumo wrestlers have normal blood pressure?

5 hours ago, Harding said:

if weight is the cause of blood pressure then why is it sumo wrestlers have normal blood pressure?

This is a myth. Sumo wrestlers have a life expectancy of 20 years LESS than the average Japanese male. They have increased rates of diabetes and high blood pressure. Among champion sumo wrestlers since 1929, body mass index was a strong predictor of early mortality.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/11/2021 at 5:05 AM, Jacknife said:

Genes daw sabi ng doctor ko kse di naman ako mataba pero bigla ng tumaas bp ko. Kainis. 

Tuwa ako sa chia seeds. Medyo bumaba na bp ko when I started putting it in my drinks. 

• 1 month later...
On 9/22/2017 at 10:35 AM, mukai said:

tea helps lower blood pressure, yung dati kong 140/100 naging 120/80

naging daily routine ko na uminom ng tea (no exercise at all, busy sa work eh) :ninja:

Hi! Which type of tea you drink po? im planning to do this as well

• 4 weeks later...

Because of my elevated blood pressure, and me wanting to avoid medication, I've turned to limiting my caffeine intake, and then also incorporating a lot of superfoods in my diet. I've been making healthy smoothies with ingredients like chia seeds, coco nibs, berries, avocado, protein shake and I notice the difference after 2 months on these. 

I went to see a doctor last June 2020 about my elevated BP (150/100)

The doctor asked me to have a Physical exam, blood chem, ECG, chest X-ray, 2D echo and ultra sound.

When the results came out, the doctor gave me prescription for maintenance medicine and told me to just limit my alcohol and caffeine intake.

So I stopped drinking alcohol, coffee and energy drinks for a year.

Now my BP is 120/80.

What's weird is that he never asked me to stop smoking.😂

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...