fusion genres subgenres

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 FleurDeLune

FleurDeLune

Jedi Haijin

• 3944 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 10:56 PM

Anything about folk music, post it here. It's time for a bit of reminiscence. Let's do it through this thread. 

Contemporary folk music

To start the ball rolling:

"Where Have All the Flowers Gone?" is a contemporary folk song. The first three verses were written by Pete Seeger in 1955, and published in Sing Out! magazine. Additional verses were added by Joe Hickerson in May 1960, who turned it into a circular song. Its rhetorical "where?" and meditation on death place the song in the ubi sunt tradition. In 2010, the New Statesman listed it as one of the "Top 20 Political Songs".

The 1964 release of the song as a Columbia Records 45 single, 13-33088, by Pete Seeger was inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame in 2002 in the Folk category. Read more here

Edited by FleurDeLune, 04 September 2015 - 10:58 PM.

#2 hahnz

hahnz

Lover

• (06) Chronic Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1037 posts

Posted 05 September 2015 - 08:00 AM

I can put The Corrs as contemporary folk music group. The first time i heard it, it was a rather different experience listening to this type of genre since i was used to other genres that i would usually listen to. But this band turned it around for me which gave me an appreciation for Irish folk music.

"What Can I Do" is a song by Irish band The Corrs, from their breakthrough album Talk on Corners (1998). The song was originally released in January 1998, but later re-released in August that year in a remixed form by Tin Tin Out, which generated more attention. The song became one of the band's most known hits worldwide, but their charting success was limited, due to the time of the shooting of the video. The song received generally favorable to mixed reviews from music critics, who some felt it wasn't as strong as their previous songs. The song had moderate charting success. An accompanying music video was released, but was a very quick video, as the video was shot on their world tour at the same time. The music video was shot in New Zealand.

• FleurDeLune likes this

#3 hahnz

hahnz

Lover

• (06) Chronic Poster
  • 1037 posts

Posted 05 September 2015 - 08:07 AM

Although The Corrs have songs that ventrue inn alternative rock & pop for the mainstream listeners. They always go back to their forte' which is folk that have beautiful lyrics coupled with having talented sibling musicians with Andrea at the vocals, Jim (guitar), Sharon (violin, vocals), Caroline (percussion, vocals)

One of my favorite songs. Runaway released in 1995

• FleurDeLune likes this

#4 hahnz

hahnz

Lover

• (06) Chronic Poster
  • 1037 posts

Posted 05 September 2015 - 08:34 AM

i categorized them as euro pop in my iPod, 

together with garbage, princessa, the cardigans and seal

hehehe

they have pop songs, but when they change their songs' choreography it turns to folk rock, the only reason they have pop songs is to sell their music to the mainstream radio listeners. If they didn't do that they probably wouldn't have been as big then. its a compromise but they were able to do make their own music from their celtic irish roots. check out their wiki page. they are categorized under folk rock not only pop.

#5 FleurDeLune

FleurDeLune

Jedi Haijin

• 3944 posts

Posted 06 September 2015 - 10:57 AM

Although The Corrs have songs that ventrue inn alternative rock & pop for the mainstream listeners. They always go back to their forte' which is folk that have beautiful lyrics coupled with having talented sibling musicians with Andrea at the vocals, Jim (guitar), Sharon (violin, vocals), Caroline (percussion, vocals)

One of my favorite songs. Runaway released in 1995

Yep, the Corrs siblings. One of my favorites when it comes to this genre especially combined with celtic theme. And, yes "Runaway" is one of the best for me, too. Ah, 90s.

#6 ADAM

ADAM

The Prince of Dorkness

• (11) Wyld
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5597 posts
  • Interests:Sensible people
    The Arts
    Music
    Coffee
    Movies
    Boxing

I'm just looking, I'm not buying.

Posted 10 September 2015 - 12:02 PM

Does Joni Mitchell's "Help Me" fall under this category?
It sounded a bit poppy and jazzy, but Mitchell was a folk artist.

#7 FleurDeLune

FleurDeLune

Jedi Haijin

• 3944 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 12:14 PM

Does Joni Mitchell's "Help Me" fall under this category?
It sounded a bit poppy and jazzy, but Mitchell was a folk artist.

Yes, it falls under the category of Folk Jazz. ;)

#8 ADAM

ADAM

The Prince of Dorkness

• (11) Wyld
  • 5597 posts
    The Arts
    Music
    Coffee
    Movies
    Boxing

Posted 10 September 2015 - 01:21 PM

Yes, it falls under the category of Folk Jazz. ;)

Oh, thanks. Not really familiar with the genre but I'm quite sure I got some in my playlists somewhere.

Spoiler

Edited by FleurDeLune, 11 September 2015 - 12:24 AM.
Added spoiler to the rest of the post since it categorized under "Hard Rock" genre.

#9 FleurDeLune

FleurDeLune

Jedi Haijin

• 3944 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 11:35 PM

Speaking of which, "Ho Hey" (an Indie folk), a song by American folk rock band The Lumineers, was released on June 4, 2012 as the lead single from their debut self-titled studio album. More here. 

#10 FleurDeLune

FleurDeLune

Jedi Haijin

• 3944 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 12:31 AM

Oh, thanks. Not really familiar with the genre but I'm quite sure I got some in my playlists somewhere.

Spoiler

Let me post this for you.

"Help Me" by Joni Mitchell 

Single by Joni Mitchell from the album Court and Spark B-side "Just Like This Train" Released March 1974 Recorded 1973 Genre Folk jazz Length 3:22 Label Asylum Writer(s) Joni Mitchell

source

#11 ADAM

ADAM

The Prince of Dorkness

• (11) Wyld
  • 5597 posts
    The Arts
    Music
    Coffee
    Movies
    Boxing

Posted 11 September 2015 - 06:52 AM

Thanks!

That The Lumineers song was sweet, huh.

I'm sorry, I don't know how to put the vids the way you do.

Anyway, here's a link

Radical Face's Welcome Home

It sounds a folk-y to me, though they are categorized under "Alternative"---another genre that could be anything.

I find it easy to distinguish pure folk, but i've been having a hard time wrapping my head around the sub-categories of folk (folk jazz, folk rock, etc.), even after reading the link on your first post. I guess, I'm that dense.

#12 FleurDeLune

FleurDeLune

Jedi Haijin

• 3944 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 08:34 PM

You're welcome. 

As for the Lumineers song, it was like a reggae-ish to me the first time I've heard it. I didn't expect it to be in any kind of folk songs though. And when I tried to search it, voila! that was how indie's folk song beating. :D

For easier to distinguish any song's genre, just look for them at Wikipedia. From there, you can find them in detailed info.

PM me about "how to post a video" thing. But, from here, I can see your video which is properly posted ah. How did you do that? lol

Edited by FleurDeLune, 11 September 2015 - 08:34 PM.

#13 FleurDeLune

FleurDeLune

Jedi Haijin

• 3944 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 07:56 PM

Wild World - Cat Stevens

Released September 1970 Format 7" 45 rpm Recorded 1970 Genre Folk rock Length 3:15 Label Island (UK/Europe)
A&M (US/Canada) Writer(s) Cat Stevens

Edited by FleurDeLune, 13 September 2015 - 08:05 PM.

#14 ADAM

ADAM

The Prince of Dorkness

• (11) Wyld
  • 5597 posts
    The Arts
    Music
    Coffee
    Movies
    Boxing

Posted 14 September 2015 - 12:48 PM

You're welcome. 

As for the Lumineers song, it was like a reggae-ish to me the first time I've heard it. I didn't expect it to be in any kind of folk songs though. And when I tried to search it, voila! that was how indie's folk song beating. :D

For easier to distinguish any song's genre, just look for them at Wikipedia. From there, you can find them in detailed info.

PM me about "how to post a video" thing. But, from here, I can see your video which is properly posted ah. How did you do that? lol

The thing about contemporary folk is that it had soo many subgenres that it's a bit difficult to get to an exact sound (or at least a rhythm[?]; or sort of a specific way, instrumentally, of playing it (think blues). Though there were past artists who marked their music as folk (Dylan, simon and garfunkle, etc.), nowadays, given the number of subgenres, it'll be easier to just call it 'music' na lang siguro. :)

Well, there's Sufjan Stevens (two thumbs up to this guy). One of the rare ones existing today that can easily associated with folk music.

As to the vid, i just pasted the link, and the MTC god, perhaps, worked a miracle. I still don't know how i did it. Hahaha!

#15 FleurDeLune

FleurDeLune

Jedi Haijin

• 3944 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 11:18 AM

Well, there's Sufjan Stevens (two thumbs up to this guy). One of the rare ones existing today that can easily associated with folk music.

As to the vid, i just pasted the link, and the MTC god, perhaps, worked a miracle. I still don't know how i did it. Hahaha!

Yes, S.Stevens. In fact, I'm looking forward to listen to his 4th album "These Friends of Mine" though it had been released since many years ago. It would be another experience from another promising indie folk artist.

Well, lucky you since not all links have an automatic feature when it comes to vid posting. lol

#16 ADAM

ADAM

The Prince of Dorkness

• (11) Wyld
  • 5597 posts
    The Arts
    Music
    Coffee
    Movies
    Boxing

Posted 15 September 2015 - 02:05 PM

Stevens released Carrie and Lowell this year, I think. Got it in FLAC. Eerie, well-played, well-written.
It's been a while since I listened to a full-album in loop. His Michigan album is another must-have.

This year's album has been his most personal, imo. Or probably, I can just completely relate to every song, if you know what I mean.

https://youtu.be/JTeKpWp8Psw

Fourth of July--- the stand out for me.
Oh, mtc god, why have you forsaken me in my last post?

I really need some mentoring in posting video clips.

#17 FleurDeLune

FleurDeLune

Jedi Haijin

• 3944 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 11:53 AM

Sent some instructions. :)

#18 ADAM

ADAM

The Prince of Dorkness

• (11) Wyld
  • 5597 posts
    The Arts
    Music
    Coffee
    Movies
    Boxing

Posted 16 September 2015 - 01:51 PM

Thank you very much. :)

Let's try it on this one:

Blood - The Middle East

#19 FleurDeLune

FleurDeLune

Jedi Haijin

• 3944 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 09:44 PM

Stevens released Carrie and Lowell this year, I think. Got it in FLAC. Eerie, well-played, well-written.
It's been a while since I listened to a full-album in loop. His Michigan album is another must-have.

This year's album has been his most personal, imo. Or probably, I can just completely relate to every song, if you know what I mean.

https://youtu.be/JTeKpWp8Psw

Fourth of July--- the stand out for me.
Oh, mtc god, why have you forsaken me in my last post?

Thank you very much. :)

Let's try it on this one:

Blood - The Middle East

Pleasure is mine. :)

BTW, both songs are metaphorical and beautiful even though they sound like a mournful pieces to me.  Nice pick on artists as well. :)

#20 ADAM

ADAM

The Prince of Dorkness

• (11) Wyld
  • 5597 posts
    The Arts
    Music
    Coffee
    Movies
    Boxing

Posted 21 September 2015 - 07:05 AM

Yeah. Mournful, painful pieces, both are about death. To a point that one lady banned my playlists (and the books I read), when we're together in secret. Some find it depressing. 

But, however morbid, as some might say, the way the songs were crafted, is beautiful, to say the least. 

The pick, I dunno. Always been a sucker for the search of good music. And there are a lot out there. 

Malleable Beings - The Paper Kites

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users