837 replies to this topic

#1 WitMystery

WitMystery

Sanity Checker

• (05) Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 01:59 PM

Because most times I'm on the chair listening to you. And then sometimes I want to be on the couch. 

After several years and a few changes in life status, I'm back in MTC. Can't revive my old account, I guess. It's in perma-lurk mode for now. With the years, you become a different person, so I guess my old MTC persona is no longer me. 

Welcome to my personal space. Like any good therapist (no, NOT MTC's usual kind!), your secrets are safe with me. As long as mine are yours. I'm open to any and all questions, and I'd like to think I give good advice. But I am picky on who I open up to. Let's just say a good conversation is like sex of two minds. Sometimes I get paid, sometimes it's just a quickie, but great ones just f#&king blow your brain out.

• Queen Darkeinjel and Geornensurb like this

#2 neville

neville

Ngarag Na Naman

• Diyosa
  • 9596 posts
  • Interests:reading, vegetarianism, meditation, art, travelling, daydreaming, writing

Posted 30 March 2015 - 02:26 PM

Welcome sir. Though I believe if you are using practically the same name, this is the first time I have met you in the forum.

The Therapist's Couch. Funny. A lot of people believe that they are qualified to be on the listening side, even if they are more fit to be the one sitting on the couch. Then there are the people who unwittingly find themselves the therapist when all they want is to sit on the couch and have someone listen to their rants.

Edited by neville, 30 March 2015 - 02:26 PM.

#3 Kevin Balot

Kevin Balot

Half Pinoy, Half Pinay

• (05) Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts
  • Interests:Pretty Boys

Posted 30 March 2015 - 02:50 PM

welcome to mtc sir

#4 Cunnulingus

Cunnulingus

Chaser

• (04) Casual
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 03:33 PM

ohhh like a shrink.... got nothing but welcome back

#5 rc198264

rc198264

Looker

• (04) Casual
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Interests:spakol

Posted 30 March 2015 - 06:05 PM

How am i able to upgrade my membership in mtc?

#6 WitMystery

WitMystery

Sanity Checker

• (05) Regular
  • 958 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 06:25 PM

Thanks for the welcomes.

No, I'm not using my old nick. Different name, much different me. I still some members from back then, and although I formed very few connections here, not having the old history connected helps to start anew.

Yes, neville, there are some who think they are the ones who can dish it out but then probably need to take it as well. But then, the reality is that a real therapist needs therapy, too. How else are we supposed to deal with all the stuff that we hear in the counseling room? That much psycho-emotional energy doesn't just dissipate from a client and a lot of it gets absorbed by the counselor. I guess, you can say this is me dealing with my hubris and denial, and that I have issues I have to let out, too. But I do believe my training, current practice, and present well-being (body and mind) qualifies me to still be a healthy therapist. ;) If anyone's going to ask for my advice, it should always be with a healthy dose of salt. ;)

#7 WitMystery

WitMystery

Sanity Checker

• (05) Regular
  • 958 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 02:18 PM

I saw this shop in SM Aura and in Powerplant Mall that sells oils, vinegars, wines, and whiskeys. If you've tried buying from them, I'd appreciate comments and reviews.

#8 WitMystery

WitMystery

Sanity Checker

• (05) Regular
  • 958 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 01:17 PM

Trying to make the most of a warm day, in the quiet part of a small city. There's no power on, and the only sounds to hear are the birds, the wind blowing through the trees, and a nice set of chimes. Nice start to the Holy Week break.

I dream that I can have my own clinic space just as relaxing as this.

#9 neville

neville

Ngarag Na Naman

• Diyosa
  • 9596 posts
  • Interests:reading, vegetarianism, meditation, art, travelling, daydreaming, writing

Posted 01 April 2015 - 03:58 PM

...and the only sounds to hear are the birds, the wind blowing through the trees, and a nice set of chimes.

the very sound i miss....i have to be in a farm to enjoy such an atmosphere again :)

#10 WitMystery

WitMystery

Sanity Checker

• (05) Regular
  • 958 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 06:30 PM

There definitely are perks to small city living. Less traffic and I can think better. There's also more time to meditate and take stock of the things I have to deal with when I'm at work in Manila.

#11 WitMystery

WitMystery

Sanity Checker

• (05) Regular
  • 958 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 12:09 AM

In vino nobis Veritas.

I wonder if it would ever be acceptable to provide a glass of wine prior to a Therapy session.

#12 neville

neville

Ngarag Na Naman

• Diyosa
  • 9596 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 12:15 PM

unless the patient's an alcoholic, perhaps it will be.

but they say that both parties have to be stone cold sober during a conversation.  that's the only period where the information handed out is deemed acceptable in the eyes of the law.

#13 DrMurdoc

DrMurdoc

Libertine

• UNREGISTERED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 03:37 AM

In vino nobis Veritas.

I wonder if it would ever be acceptable to provide a glass of wine prior to a Therapy session.

Wine does loosen the tongue a little bit.. (maybe a lot for some people)

It might work. Only way to find our is to try it. :)

I have a question for you kind sir. Maybe a question you've heard of a thousand times.

How do you deal with all the things you hear? Apologies if i can't construct my question better.

Is it part of your training? Do you have your own ways of dealing with it? After a session, do you just forget about it and move on to the next? Is it like a switch you turn on/off whenever needed?

#14 WitMystery

WitMystery

Sanity Checker

• (05) Regular
  • 958 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 01:10 PM

Actually, I try to avoid clients who seek therapy or are brought in for therapy who might have legal issues that will tie in eventually. Lots of legalese that we don't like to deal with, when there are other centers who have that for bread and butter. So yeah, I don't do annulment stuff.

There are days that it is easy to deal with the energy coming from a session. Your channels are working, you are able to process their feelings and yours, and when you finalize your notes, it's all there.

And then there are days when you need some time just to process yourself. It sometimes carries over for the next few hours or days if you don't, so the reflection time is important.

When things get really heavy, it's really important to be able to talk to other therapists. It can occasionally get very serious that talking it over with others becomes like a therapy or group therapy session in itself.

I think our training emphasized all of these a lot. That's why counseling psych is way different from IO and developmental psych.

#15 neville

neville

Ngarag Na Naman

• Diyosa
  • 9596 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 01:28 PM

i guess the channeling of energy and processing of a client's case/feelings is the main reason why I am not a counselor.  I end up internalizing it too much to my own detriment.  And when the counseling session (the need for the person to talk to you) is completed, I end up feeling a little betrayed, used, and abandoned.  Except when the person I helped out is a good friend who I know will be there when I am the one in need.

Or perhaps, there is something in the way I approach these sessions that I should adjust.

Or maybe I should stop being a softie and refuse any request for a couch and a level head.

Edited by neville, 04 April 2015 - 01:28 PM.

#16 WitMystery

WitMystery

Sanity Checker

• (05) Regular
  • 958 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 04:54 PM

Well it does take some training to learn how to listen to someone. We all do it in different ways. Some ways are just better suited for counseling. I would rather not be a therapist to someone I've known previously because I know I'm not wired the correct way toward them to be a therapist.

#17 neville

neville

Ngarag Na Naman

• Diyosa
  • 9596 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 08:57 PM

The bias we have for or against the person we personally know...if you are referring to it, then I agree with you.

Ah, maybe I should have studied counseling instead of communication, linguistics, and translation.  Maybe it would've been easier to digest and remove traces of people's energy in my system rather than constantly wonder why they come to me in the first place.

Especially if I am not even in the same situation or have ever been (married, in a relationship, etc).

Weird.

#18 WitMystery

WitMystery

Sanity Checker

• (05) Regular
  • 958 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 08:30 PM

Well it doesn't take a lot of training to build emotional shields and outlets. Sometimes it's just a mindset that you take on when someone is talking to you.

I thank God that the typhoon weakened before hitting land, but I dislike how people make such a big religious deal out of it. Headlines blaring about the power of prayer and Easter miracles. I am a believer in God and all, but really, it wasn't prayer that weakened the storm.

I can go on and on, but I prefer to end this rant right here. In the spirit of Easter. :) Happy Easter to you all! And for my atheist and non-believer audiences, hope you had a good traffic-free weekend!

#19 WitMystery

WitMystery

Sanity Checker

• (05) Regular
  • 958 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 09:07 PM

Now I can have you without guilt. Now I can indulge in secret when I'm alone and the wife is not looking. Now I can finish you off whenever I am wont to do it.

I've missed you, Coke Zero.

#20 WitMystery

WitMystery

Sanity Checker

• (05) Regular
  • 958 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 10:13 PM

Informative article. ;)

http://www.menshealt...campaign=buffer

Edited by WitMystery, 06 April 2015 - 10:16 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: psychology, relationships, emotions, mental health, sex

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users