Tuition Fees...

You know someone is from UP because he or she still knows his or her student number by heart.  That was because you student number was the only way to prioritize people during enrollment.

Is it still the same in the 90's and 00's when things got computerized?

ganun? di naman ako UP student pero kabisado ko pa ang student number ko simula grade school hanggang college... :P

Yup, they increased the tuition to 500 per unit around 2002, if I'm not mistaken.  In fact, I heard na in the graduate schools, at least sa BA its 1500 per unit na.  Crazy no?

Off-topic:

2002 was the same year I decided to leave Malcolm Hall.

So tell me, what section are you in? I belonged to "B" once upon a time. Classmates ko sila **** **** ******* and ****** ********.

On topic:

8,000 might be a big leap from 6,000, but it's still way below what other law students are paying. During my time, I wanted to study in Ateneo Law but back then it was already 27K per sem, so I enrolled in UP. :D

What was crazy was that I had acquaintances who also passed both the LAE and AdMU Law exams but still decided to study at the Ateneo because they could afford the Tuition fee anyway. Sayang yung slots nila. They could have been given to financially-needy students kung meron lang sanang "waiting list" ang UP Law.

Has the policy changed? It used to be that there was no such thing as a "waiting list" in UP Law. When prospective freshmen don't confirm their slots in the final lists, the vacancies are not filled up.

Edited by Chito
You know someone is from UP because he or she still knows his or her student number by heart.  That was because you student number was the only way to prioritize people during enrollment.

I heard about this priority thing in the Iskolar thread. I never heard about it while I was at UP (my loss, I guess). My student number was 79-00***. I had to fight tooth-and-nail to my last UP blood for the slots I needed. No one gave me any favors (or priority), even during my final year. My only "privilege" was that, as a BA student, I could enroll in BA subjects before non-BA students could. In any other unit (such as SE where I took electives), I was just like everyone else.

Para hindi OT. In my last year at UP (1984), the students were in an uproar because tuition was set to be raised to something like P500 a sem for a 15-unit academic load, without lab. Among those who were most vocal in complaining were the folks with cars, many coming all the way from the wealthy neighborhoods in south Metro. By then, the complexion of the UP student population was already beginning to change, with the probinsiyanos and the poor folk steadily being edged out, so to speak, by the rich kids, such that parking in this "university of the poor" was already becoming a problem.

This situation eventually led to the establishment of the socialized tuition scheme.

Para hindi OT.  In my last year at UP (1984), the students were in an uproar because tuition was set to be raised to something like P500 a sem for a 15-unit academic load, without lab.  Among those who were most vocal in complaining were the folks with cars, many coming all the way from the wealthy neighborhoods in south Metro.  By then, the complexion of the UP student population was already beginning to change, with the probinsiyanos and the poor folk steadily being edged out, so to speak, by the rich kids, such that parking in this "university of the poor" was already becoming a problem.

This situation eventually led to the establishment of the socialized tuition scheme.

Ah, yun pala ang pinagmulan ng socialized tuition scheme ng UP.

A lot of my classmates were complaining that the classification system was flawed, and everyone seems to think that s/he is in the wrong bracket. (Of course, they were all complaining that they are paying more than they should... and not the other way 'round. hehe) They also criticize the scheme for not being able to adequately investigate if the information each student gives is accurate. They made mention of random background checks on a few bracketed individuals, and not all. Hence, it is possible for someone to lie about his financial condition and get away with it for all four of five years of his college life.

Your fourth sentence is very, very true. I took my undergrad from the Ateneo and subsequently enrolled in UP Law. I was expecting a big social adjustment on my part, but I was surprised to observe that I didn't need to. A lot of my classmates were english-speaking, anak-mayaman/pulitiko, and of course, mayayabang din....just like some Ateneans :lol: And take note, these people took their undergrad studies in UP....some from UPIS pa! :D

Tuition sa UPMBA now is P5,000 per subject taking 2 to 4 subjects per trimester for 21 subjects in total.

Sa arki mixed naman mga classmates ko. Mostly from low-and-middle income really. May kilala kaming medyo high middle income na nagpalist ng lower bracket sa STFAP. She just listed her address at a lower-income relative, so doon nag-inspect.

I cross-enroll a subject or two outside MBA para 1,500 lang for three unit-subjects. Savings of 7,000? Pero masakit pa rin sa bulsa ang 19 other subjects. :(

Your fourth sentence is very, very true.  I took my undergrad from the Ateneo and subsequently enrolled in UP Law.  I was expecting a big social adjustment on my part, but I was surprised to observe that I didn't need to.  A lot of my classmates were english-speaking, anak-mayaman/pulitiko, and of course, mayayabang din....just like some Ateneans :lol:  And take note, these people took their undergrad studies in UP....some from UPIS pa!  :D

Oist! Chito! Sino yang mga yan? <_< Parang d ko nameet yan a? ;)

para d OT: Ang general rule ata, you're a bracket 9, unless you apply for STFAP. P500 per unit is not so bad na, considering in some schools, it can go to as high as 5K per unit. :D

Out of topic siya pero totoo na ang default bracket in stfap is 9, full tuition iyon.

And there are many who apply for a lower bracket na nandadaya.

Student populace, parang karamihan na middle class up na at iilan na lang iyong talagang mahirap.

Tapos, noong bago ako grumadweyt, dumami pa ang mga international students na lalong nagpalala ng situwasyon. Dami tuloy nagkalat na koreano, kasi nga ang mura ng tuition natin compared sa country nila tapos special treatment pa dito.

During my first year year college, that was sometime 1992, my tuition was a measly 12K per term. After I graduated in 1998, my school was charging ard P 30K per term for freshmen students. No idea how much they are currently charging the freshies but definitely it could range from 40-60 per term and that could be a conservative estimate.

During my first year year college, that was sometime 1992,  my tuition was a measly 12K per term.  After I graduated in 1998,  my school was charging ard P 30K per term for freshmen students.  No idea how much they are currently charging the freshies but definitely it could range from 40-60 per term and that could be a conservative estimate.

Sorry that's P40-60K. Forgot the thousand sign.

Out of topic siya pero totoo na ang default bracket in stfap is 9, full tuition iyon.

And there are many who apply for a lower bracket na nandadaya.

Student populace, parang karamihan na middle class up na at iilan na lang iyong talagang mahirap.

Tapos, noong bago ako grumadweyt, dumami pa ang mga international students na lalong nagpalala ng situwasyon. Dami tuloy nagkalat na koreano, kasi nga ang mura ng tuition natin compared sa country nila tapos special treatment pa dito.

Technically speaking, UP still doesn't charge "full tuition" dahil malaki pa rin ang subsidy. The Fund for Assistance to Private Education has long been arguing that if UP really charged full tuition, i.e., if it adopted the practice of private schools of relying mainly on tuition and other fees to fund its operations (including its many research institutes), its fees would be higher than Ateneo's or La Salle's because UP actually has a higher cost per student than these two schools.

Edited by jt2003
Technically speaking, UP still doesn't charge "full tuition" dahil malaki pa rin ang subsidy.  The Fund for Assistance to Private Education has long been arguing that if UP really charged full tuition, i.e., if it adopted the practice of private schools of relying mainly on tuition and other fees to fund its operations (including its many research institutes), its fees would be higher than Ateneo's or La Salle's because UP actually has a higher cost per student than these two schools.

Exactly. So one could just imagine how much angry we taxpayers should all feel if we see UP students loafing around instead of getting educated.

i studied @ Saint Louis University Baguio i started at a "measly" 140+/unit , graduated w/ a degree in engineering @ a low tuition rate of 210+/unit, considering that SLU is being considered as one of the best performing engg schools in the philippines.... btw, average yearly tuition increase is @ 9% per unit......