As a corn lover, I always made sure I buy that shredded corn and eat it with niyog. Akala mo puto.

Their corn when sliced doesn't scatter, it looks like sliced ham.

I remember eating siomai from a kid vendor near my hotel, grabe sarap!!!!

Iba talaga mga food gimmicks ng mga thai! I remember drinking beer on the sidewalks with noodles as dinner.

Man, their skewers rules! Sarap!

Nothing beats Thai street food.

You can actually get a full course dinner on the streets along Silom in Thailand...

And their Thai Papaya Salad with the crushed talangka , while an acquired taste, is to die for.

Not to mention the skewered fruits they sell of the streets, the spicy tamarind that the street peddlers hawk, those little barbeque/kebabs that are grilled by the roadside.

The variety and depth of Thai street food is just amazing - there is a street food for every meal!

• 5 weeks later...

Just saw this place last weekend

I find the hygene questionable

The place have a few Thai memorabillas

It is along P. Noval near the corner of España.

What do u recommend to order here aside from Pad Thai?

...S.R. Thai near UST serves great and affordable thai dishes....especially pad thai...love it... :thumbsupsmiley: :thumbsupsmiley: :thumbsupsmiley:
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

To the fellow, thinking of putting up a Thai resto, let's meet and talk. Here's my 3 cents on Thai food.

I lived and worked in Bangkok for 11 years, so I guess I can speak with some authority on Thai food. One of my favorite pastimes was to check out noodle shops on every street and compare the taste of my favorite dishes. Surprisingly, there aren't two noodle shops that serve exactly the same tasting food. I have posted some other stuff on Thai food in the Secret places in Bangkok thread.

The key to Thai food is that almost every dish usually has all the tastes (spicy, salty, sweet, sour, sometimes bitter). Like someone in this thread posted, you cannot substitute for ingredients not available in RP. For example, the kaffir lime leaves and galanggal (a type of ginger) that are both key to making tom yum kung (spicy shrimp soup) are not available on a commercial quantity. You can only find them in the specialty section of some supermarkets.

I also want to stress that some Thai restaurants in Manila have adjusted the taste of some of the dishes they serve, apparently, to suit the Filipino palate. To me, that is culinary cheating. Thai food must be served as it is served in the streets of Bangkok. The best Thai restaurant to me was Ayutthaya (used to be located somewhere at St. Francis square behind SM megamall). It was run by the daughter of Gen. Rafael Ileto, who was previously ambassador to Bangkok. Prices were a a bit steep, but everything was genuine. The Sala Thai near PWU is also okay, particularly since their prices are reasonable. I donlt know if Krung Thai is still operating in Makati. The Muang Thai on Banawe was disappointing, because the khao phat khai (fried rice w/ chicken) that I ordered during my only visit there about ten years ago was cooked in butter (horrors!). I never got to try the Thai resto at UP, although people I know who did swore that the food was authentic Thai. The oodys (tama ba?) look pricey and I have yet to try them. However, they seem to serve too many kinds of dishes (as based on the menu) that the focus might no longer be on Thai food. I read a news article on PDI a year ago that a new Thai resto was going to open at Festival mall in Alabang. Can anyone tell me if this pushed through?

There's a resto at Shangri-La mall on Shaw, Penang Hill. They serve some Thai food, but was not able to try it because we settled for samossa and other Indian stuff.

Will post other observations and opinions on Thai food next time.

I agree

I lived with a Thai flatmate and his name is Chaiwat Luangrungsap

he cooked authentic Thai food .... and believe me if it was not Spicy Thai Food.... it is not Thai Food

I sweat when i eat Spicy Hot Food....

Thai food here... i can just eat it with ease...

Real Thai food will require 2 full size towels to manage my perspiration.....

To the fellow, thinking of putting up a Thai resto, let's meet and talk. Here's my 3 cents on Thai food.

I lived and worked in Bangkok for 11 years, so I guess I can speak with some authority on Thai food. One of my favorite

More on Thai food:

On the tables of nearly all noodle shops on the streets of Bangkok are small containers of chili powder, sugar, vinegar with sliced chilis, fish sauce with sliced chilis, soy sauce (actually more of molasses), fresh garlic and fresh green onions. If you order any noodle dish with or without soup, make sure to put a bit of powdered chili, sugar, fish sauce, and vinegar.

It's hard to find authentic phad thai in Manila, which is a street food staple in Bangkok. I think it's because sinlek (the Thai name for rice noodles) isn't available, or if it is, it's probably imported. Ergo, the high prices of Thai food.

If you think Thai food is too spicy, you are right. But then again once you get used to the spiciness, Filipino food will taste bland. That's why I put a lot chili powder in my adobo, mechado or bistek. Try it!

The best antidote to spicy food is chocolate. So if ever you go to Bangkok and plan to eat street food, make sure you have some. A 7-11 is never too far away. (trivia: Bangkok has the most # of 7-11s in the world)

It reminded me way back

My friends and I picked up Thai girls from a bar ....but since we were on a tight budget

we just brought them to our flat for dinner.....

The Thai ladies volunteered to cook .... and immediately they asked for Chili powder, fish sauce, sliced greed chillis

Fortunately we have those

The simple fried fish was almost drenched in Red Chili powder before frying

They steamed the scrambled egg decorated with full colors of sliced red and green chilis

Made soup with ground pork, upo and fish sauce

Both the meal and the ladies were HOT

More on Thai food:

On the tables of nearly all noodle shops on the streets of Bangkok are small containers of chili powder, sugar, vinegar with sliced chilis, fish sauce with sliced chilis, soy sauce (actually more of molasses), fresh garlic and fresh green onions. If you order any noodle dish with or without soup, make sure to put a bit of powdered chili, sugar, fish sauce, and vinegar.

It's hard to find authentic phad thai in Manila, which is a street food staple in Bangkok. I think it's because sinlek (the Thai name for rice noodles) isn't available, or if it is, it's probably imported. Ergo, the high prices of Thai food.

If you think Thai food is too spicy, you are right. But then again once you get used to the spiciness, Filipino food will taste bland. That's why I put a lot chili powder in my adobo, mechado or bistek. Try it!

The best antidote to spicy food is chocolate. So if ever you go to Bangkok and plan to eat street food, make sure you have some. A 7-11 is never too far away. (trivia: Bangkok has the most # of 7-11s in the world)

Edited by lomex32
It reminded me way back

My friends and I picked up Thai girls from a bar ....but since we were on a tight budget

we just brought them to our flat for dinner.....

The Thai ladies volunteered to cook .... and immediately they asked for Chili powder, fish sauce, sliced greed chillis

Fortunately we have those

The simple fried fish was almost drenched in Red Chili powder before frying

They steamed the scrambled egg decorated with full colors of sliced red and green chilis

Made soup with ground pork, upo and fish sauce

Both the meal and the ladies were HOT

That must have been some dinner...!

In most instances, the wok used for stir frying is very hot. That's why the meats and vegetables are cooked almost in seconds when they are placed there. The veggies are still crisp when served. The Thais also do not use salt, but vetsin instead. Good thing this is overwhelmed by the spices. Another secret to the tatse is the use of a chopping board made from the tamarind tree. Cooks swear that this right away goves meats a unique flavor.

Nice share... as i also mentioned i need to bathroom towels

I had an embarassing experience ..... dinner party in Singapore

The Thai food was really great ....

After i had the tom yam and prawns I started sweating heavily and

soon all eyes in our table are on me ... teasing me

I asked the waiter 3 more table napkins to manage my sweat.....

Thai food rocks! Problem is, I have very little tolerance for spicy food. It would take a blanket to wipe me dry from perspiration. But I would still go for Thai food anytime!

sbm

What are unique thai ingredients not usually found here?

They use

lemon grass, wansoi, pandan, dahon sili which are also locally available

While tom yum is usually made with pranws or other seafood, there is also tom neua (beef tom yum). a northeast (Isan) Thai dish. This is like our nilagang baka, albeit very spicy and sour. Ahhhh...it's great with gai tot or gai yang (fried chicken with garlic or barbecued chicken), sticky rice and som tam (spicy papaya salad). Delicious!