Classical Music

baboyboy

Aside from Bach and Handel, which other composers from the Baroque era can you recommend? Does Vivaldi fall under the Baroque period?

For the benefit of those (like me, 4 example) who are curious to know more about classical music, a mere mention of a composer's name alone doesn't really give us much of an idea about them. What is it about them that makes their music special to you? Addressing this issue would be a lot more informative than merely describing them as 'lupit'.

Suggestion lang po......thanks! :)

Edited by starbuck911

To make this more interesting, let's explore instances where classical music was used to enhance the impact of cinematic art. For example, Strauss's Also Sprach Zarathustra was employed to choreograph the establishing sequence of Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey. The juxtaposition was so appropriate that the two are inextricably linked in pop culture.

Anyone here familiar with Paul Gilbert? He had released an album in Japan which contains classical pieces. Everybody thought that it was a collection of classical music he played on the guitars but they really are just music made by the classical composers....

Those pieces were his favorites and what a coincidence, they were favorites of mine too!!!

Edited by BlackWizard

Can anyone recommend an album that contains a number of the more popular classical tunes. The ones that are really identifiable.

Heard one such album ages ago- it's like a 'best of classical' album with different composers and really liked it. Was even pleasantly surprised that some of the classical pieces were actually the inspiration for some of today's popular tunes. It is unfortunate that I wasn't able to get the album's name.

I wish one of you guys would be able to suggest one.

Aside from Bach and Handel, which other composers from the Baroque era can you recommend? Does Vivaldi fall under the Baroque period?

For the benefit of those (like me, 4 example) who are curious to know more about classical music, a mere mention of a composer's name alone doesn't really give us much of an idea about them. What is it about them that makes their music special to you? Addressing this issue would be a lot more informative than merely describing them as 'lupit'.

Suggestion lang po......thanks! :)

yes antonio vivaldi is from the baroque period.1678 to 17sumthing ata sya . i think he is very well known for his 4 seasons.

with the lupit reply ko sorry ha hehehe tamad lang ako siguro nun. anyway ampng the modern pianists rachmaninoff is the more passionate composer. i love listening to his rhapsody on a theme by paganini( great violinist and composer). although very taxing for the pianist kasi it requires so much power and dexterity.

yung tchaikowsky mali pala ako tchaikovsky ang tamang spelling kasi russian sya di german.dun sa di familiar sa kanya i think he was from the late romantic period (pls correct me if im wrong) he wrote a lot of symphonies and concertos pero bored ako dun kaya di ko matandaan e hehehe. anyway i heard a cd of a collection of his songs sung by a very good russian baritone dmitry horotovsky.. not sure of the spelling. very emotional ang songs..

"

manny a. quito Posted Aug 16 2006, 08:39 PM

To make this more interesting, let's explore instances where classical music was used to enhance the impact of cinematic art. For example, Strauss's Also Sprach Zarathustra was employed to choreograph the establishing sequence of Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey. The juxtaposition was so appropriate that the two are inextricably linked in pop culture. "

regarding this post.. wow i never knew that.. alam ko lang yung william tell overture na ginamit sa lone ranger movie.. and of course yung mga symphonies na ginagamit sa mga warner bro's na cartoons lalo na sa bugs bunny. ano ba mga title nun? anyone?

yes antonio vivaldi is from the baroque period.1678 to 17sumthing ata sya . i think he is very well known for his 4 seasons.

with the lupit reply ko sorry ha hehehe tamad lang ako siguro nun. anyway ampng the modern pianists rachmaninoff is the more passionate composer. i love listening to his rhapsody on a theme by paganini( great violinist and composer). although very taxing for the pianist kasi it requires so much power and dexterity.

yung tchaikowsky mali pala ako tchaikovsky ang tamang spelling kasi russian sya di german.dun sa di familiar sa kanya i think he was from the late romantic period (pls correct me if im wrong) he wrote a lot of symphonies and concertos pero bored ako dun kaya di ko matandaan e hehehe. anyway i heard a cd of a collection of his songs sung by a very good russian baritone dmitry horotovsky.. not sure of the spelling. very emotional ang songs..

"

regarding this post.. wow i never knew that.. alam ko lang yung william tell overture na ginamit sa lone ranger movie.. and of course yung mga symphonies na ginagamit sa mga warner bro's na cartoons lalo na sa bugs bunny. ano ba mga title nun? anyone?

Warner Bros classical themes I can think of:

Overture from the Barber of Seville by Rossini, Ring of the Nibelungs and Tristan und Isolde by Wagner (Bugs and Elmer Fudd's opera), Inky and the Mynah Bird - overture from New Hebrides Concerto by Mendelssohn

For Baroque music, of which I am an avid fan, try the following Italian composers who lived in the mid 1600s to the mid 1700s, or the age of Baroque: Vivaldi, Locatelli, Albinoni, Manfredini, Tartini, Corelli, Scarlatti.

For non-Italian Baroque masters - the very popular Johann Pachelbel (Canon in G, a wedding mainstay), the prolific Bach and Telemann from Germany, Handel from Germany/England, Lulli from Italy/France, Rameau (France), Purcell (UK),

Warner Bros classical themes I can think of:

Overture from the Barber of Seville by Rossini, Ring of the Nibelungs and Tristan und Isolde by Wagner (Bugs and Elmer Fudd's opera), Inky and the Mynah Bird - overture from New Hebrides Concerto by Mendelssohn

Here's the "genius" behind the music from the Looney Tunes. Little did I realize it as a child, but listening to the music from the Warner toons had a profound influence on me. Finding humor in music is not an easy thing, but it's very rewarding to the listeners who are able to appreciate it. Spike Jones (and even Frank Zappa) were also masters at musical humor...but anyway, we should all remember this man for what he has given us...

http://www.partialobserver.com/article.cfm?id=1298

Edited by starbuck911
haunting classics?

The medieval sound of Carl Orff's Carmina Burana with its mostly Latin text became widely used in movie music, primarily associated with the original The Omen. "O Fortuna" was used in the 1981 film Excalibur, Oliver Stone's "The Doors," parts of the soundtrack for the Lord of the Rings trilogy, and in many movie trailers including "Glory". It has even been used in commercials.

"Carmina Burana" is the title that Johann Andreas Schmeller first gave to the collection of poems, some in German and most in Latin, that he published in 1847. Their source was a 13th-century German manuscript from a Benedictine abbey in the Bavarian city of Benediktbeuren. Hence, the title which means Songs of Beuren.

The medieval sound of Carl Orff's Carmina Burana with its mostly Latin text became widely used in movie music, primarily associated with the original The Omen. "O Fortuna" was used in the 1981 film Excalibur, Oliver Stone's "The Doors," parts of the soundtrack for the Lord of the Rings trilogy, and in many movie trailers including "Glory". It has even been used in commercials.

"Carmina Burana" is the title that Johann Andreas Schmeller first gave to the collection of poems, some in German and most in Latin, that he published in 1847. Their source was a 13th-century German manuscript from a Benedictine abbey in the Bavarian city of Benediktbeuren. Hence, the title which means Songs of Beuren.

wow i never knew this... i do remember carmina burana being used in a movie about snow avalanches.. forgot if its cliffhanger or another movie. i love the choral part ( forgot which part).. reminds me of a bit of mozart's requiem (specifically dies ire) only more haunting.

My search has so far yielded the following influences of classical music in contemporary pop songs.

Coolio's "C U When U Get There" quotes Johann Pachelbel's Canon in D Major.

Alicia Keys' "Piano & I" was based on the first movement of Ludwig von Beethoven's "Moonlight Sonata" or Piano Sonata No. 14.

Mary J. Blige's "Love" quotes Edvard Grieg's In the Hall of the Mountain King.

Sting's "Russians" was based on Sergei Prokofiev's "Romance" theme from Lieutenant Kije Suite, Opus 60.

Neil Diamond's "Song Sung Blue" was based on the second movement of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart's "Piano Concerto No. 21."

John Denver's "Annie's Song" was based on the second movement of Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky's Symphony No. 5.

Barry Manilow's "Could It Be Magic" quotes extensively from Chopin's Prelude in C minor.

Eric Carmen's "All By Myself" was based on Sergei Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto No. 2. "Never Gonna Fall In Love Again" was based on Rachmaninoff's Second Symphony.

Paul Simon's "American Tune" was based on Johann Sebastian Bach's hymn "O Sacred Head."

The Beatles' "All You Need is Love" contains a quotation from the beginning of J.S. Bach's Two-part Invention No. 8. "Because" draws from Ludwig van Beethoven's Piano Sonata No. 14, or "Moonlight Sonata."

Procol Harum's "A Whiter Shade Of Pale" recently covered by Sarah Brightman was loosely based on J.S. Bach's Orchestral Suite No. 3, Aria more commonly known as Air on a G String.

Elvis Presley's "It's Now or Never" was based on the Italian ditty 'O Sole Mio' by Eduardo di Capua; "I Can't Help Falling In Love With You" was lifted from Plaisir d'Amour by Jean Paul Egide Martini.

haunting classics?

Oh, and of course, J. S. Bach's Toccata (from Toccata and Fugue in D minor, BWV 565) blasted by an ominous organ is a staple of those old black and white horror movies, such that it has been often satirized or spoofed in cartoons and comedy movies.

Likewise, Beethoven's Fifth Symphony with it's opening staccato “DAA-DAA-DAA-DAAAHH!" It was designated by Winston Churchill for use by the BBC in transmitting radio propaganda against Adolph Hitler because in Morse code, dot-dot-dot-dash, means V, for victory.

anybody here interested in opera? if any of u saw the movie "mirror has two faces" by barbara streisand and jeff bridges ( really cheezy love story pero gusto ko pa din) barbara said " when u are in love u hear puccini" then at the ending comes nessun dorma from the opera turandot ( an aria always sung by pavarotti with a very strong melodic ending with the tenor hitting a very high note) hehehe sarap na pangdate movie hehehe.

Nessun Dorma (the Italian title translates as "Let no one sleep") came to popular attention when BBC used Luciano Pavarotti's version as the theme for the 1990 Football World Cup held in Italy. It is lifted from the last act of Giacomo Puccini's opera Turandot.

You might also want to listen to Russell Watson's version. Russel recounts that while he was singing in a pub, he was challenged by someone to try to belt out Nessun Dorma, since it was then all the rage, it being football season. The audience response was so heartening that he thereafter quit his job as a welder, and started singing in pubs and clubs. After several more years he traveled from his hometown of Salford to London, where he turned up unannounced at the Decca offices. After his audition, he was immediately signed up by one of the most eminent classical labels in the world, despite his lack of any formal training.

Look for the following album:

post-101504-1157892497.jpg

The album contents are listed as:

1. Nella Fantasia

2. Amor Ti Vieta

3. Pelagia's Song (Captain Corelli's Mandolin)

4. Caruso

5. Miserere *

(*composed by Italian rock star Zucchero)

6. Panis Angelicus

7. Non Ti Scordar Di Me

8. La Donna E Mobile

9. Saylon Dola (with Maire Brennan)

10. Someone Like You (duet with Cleopatra Higgins)

11. Bridge Over Troubled Waters

12. Vienna

13. Funiculi, Funicula

14. Barcelona (with Shaun Ryder) **

(**Yes, it's the one originally by Freddie Mercury)

15. Nessun Dorma

Also out there is this DVD:

post-101504-1157892657.jpg

This DVD features a remarkable open-air concert which Russell Watson gave in Auckland, New Zealand during February of 2002. One of his guests is Faye Tozer, formerly of the British pop group Steps. You'll also be introduced to New Zealand sensation Hayley Westenra, who seems to be the appropriate heir to Charlotte Church as the next female vocal wunderkind.

In the local scene, Robert Sena also gives a worthy popular rendition of this standard aria.

Younger fans of this type of music may want to check out G4. They were the runner-up in the Brit reality show X-Factor, where one of the judges was, who else, Simon Cowell (before he moved on to American Idol). This is where Simon got the idea to promote his new baby, Il Divo.

post-101504-1157895492.jpg

The track listing:

1. Bohemian Rhapsody (Graham Stack & Brian Rawling Mix)

2. Nessun Dorma *

(*Here it is again)

3. Everybody Hurts **

(** That's right, folks, the REM hit)

4. Circle Of Life

5. Creep ***

(*** Yo! from Radiohead)

6. To Where You Are

7. Life On Mars ****

(****David Bowie composition)

8. Flower Duet

9. Broken Vow