#21 flashman

flashman

Retired

• (06) Chronic Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1475 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 07:55 PM

Seriously?

Yes. Yung el chupacabra dating commissary ng mexicali.

#22 maninmotion

maninmotion

Libertine

• (05) Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 10:36 PM

ORALE at The Fort. Reasonably priced and big servings. Chips and salsa sides are unlimited within reason. Four different kinds of salsa and jalapeno type chilis. Taste is almost authentic Tex-Mex, Mission Taqueria style. Highly recommended. Their Chimichanga with Carne asada is fabulous.

HERMANOS beside the Petron Station along Ortigas Ext. going to N. Domingo, San Juan. Good taste. Expensive for the serving size and place. For a 300 PHP burrito, they give you four pieces of chip with 2 tbsp of salsa. Extra salsa will cost you.

#23 maninmotion

maninmotion

Libertine

• (05) Regular
  • 866 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 04:11 AM

CHILIS and FRIDAYS served very decent Fajita Steaks and other Mexican finger foods such as nachos, enchiladas, etc. Their taste is as close as you can get in the states.
I have eaten at POLLO LOCO in MEGA MALL-A about five years ago. I wonder if they are still there. Their grilled chicken with salsa and Mexican rice was very reasonably price and as authentic as you can get.

#24 maninmotion

maninmotion

Libertine

• (05) Regular
  • 866 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 04:19 AM

TACO BELL was once here in Manila but had to close shop. But I heard that they are back. The TEX-MEX food craze is still the hottest trend in the US. Unfortunately Filipinos are not really fond of the taste. This is very surprising since Filipino cuisine is almost similar in ingredients and taste since both cooking have Spanish influence.

CHIPOTLE Mexican Grill is the fastest growing restaurant franchise in the US today. I hope to see an outlet open in Manila. Even a CHEVY'S in Manila would be nice.

#25 maninmotion

maninmotion

Libertine

• (05) Regular
  • 866 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 04:26 AM

Back in the 70's , there was a TIA MARIA Cantina along Makati Avenue near International School. It was more of a drinking place that served Margaritas and nachos. I wonder if it is still the same Tia Maria which is along Katipunan Road in front of Ateneo de Manila University. Most Mexican themed restaurants in Manila is promoted more as a drinking cantina instead of a dining restaurant. I believe CHUPACABRA is similarly promoted as a drinking place as in AGAVE too.

#26 maninmotion

maninmotion

Libertine

• (05) Regular
  • 866 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 04:36 AM

My family loves Mexican Food. So there is a relentless effort in seeking a good one with a good TexMex flavor and experience. Burrito and Taco or B&T along Ortigas and RISTRAS which used to be in San Juan nr. Wilson now at Global nr. McKinley Road almost hit the spot but are quite pricey.

I hope to see more Mexican Taqueria styled dining places here in Manila. Food can be served almost cafeteria or cantina style with unlimited salsa and jugo bar.

#27 maninmotion

maninmotion

Libertine

• (05) Regular
  • 866 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 06:46 AM

MEXICALI is one great disappointment for me. When I first tried their food about five years ago, I couldn't understand why it tasted differently. Since they are the largest local multi outlet Mexican chain, I now understand why they have to tweak their food to cater to the Filipino taste buds. Since they also own EL CHUPACABRA near Makati Ave. and Kalayaan Ave., I know now that they can also do it almost authentically too. You can also see that a lot of Expats are patronizing it. The locals go for Mexicali but the Expats go for Chupa.

#28 kierc26

kierc26

Looker

• (04) Casual
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 10:21 AM

Agave is good

#29 maninmotion

maninmotion

Libertine

• (05) Regular
  • 866 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 10:37 AM

Along Maginhawa Street in Sikatuna Village in Q.C., there's a hole in the wall food store that sells burrito. About five years ago, I tried the place and it was called NANETTE Food House. It was highly recommended by Foodie blogs at that time. The size of the burrito was very small and it had an unusual taste for a Mexican beef burrito. The person who probably concocted the recipe had not had a real Mexican burrito because the taste was sweet and the beef tasted more like a Chivalry Dried Beef. For the price and if you were not looking for an authentic burrito taste then this was good enough.

#30 Richmond

Richmond

Seducer

• (08) Fanatical Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2061 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 07:54 AM

Speaking of Mexican food has anyone back in the 90's tried the chili con carne at Sosing Carinderia at the corner of Zobel Roxas and Dian street in Makati ? The carinderia is still around but has not tried this place ever since my college days back then during lunch it is packed with office workers from Makati in their long sleeved shirt with ties some even drives a Pajero or a Benz to eat in that carinderia

#31 maninmotion

maninmotion

Libertine

• (05) Regular
  • 866 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 04:24 AM

Nothing is going to beat Silantro at Brgy. Kapitolyo. Worth every peso.

I will try CILANTRO.

#32 maninmotion

maninmotion

Libertine

• (05) Regular
  • 866 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 10:11 PM

I went today during lunch time at SILANTRO. The place was definitely doing a very good business. There was a long waiting line for tables and the take outs were surely doing some brisk business too. Since it was jam packed, I opted just to get their nachos and their beef burrito to go. The clientele was the young and affluent college and yuppie types. The food was relatively cheap and plentiful and was tweaked to satisfy the Filipino taste buds. In fairness to them, they promote themselves as Fil.-Mex cuisine, probably a fusion of Filipino and Mexican cooking. In the reviews that I have read, it always get raving feed backs and 4.5 stars. As for me, I will give it a 3.0 as a Mexican Restaurant but a 4.0 for the type and class of restaurant it tries to position itself.

#33 maninmotion

maninmotion

Libertine

• (05) Regular
  • 866 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 10:29 PM

My quest for an authentic Tex-Mex restaurant brought me to Marikina. I had read so many raving reviews about BURRITO BROTHERS. They are located along Lilac Ave., this street is the extension of V. Soliven Ave. in Antipolo if you are going towards SSS Village in Marikina. Btw, V. Soliven is where Tamagoya is located. I ordered their Super Burrito and Nachos. Their prices fit their hole in the wall operation while serving size could be considered ample based on Philippine standards. The taste of the salsa, chile/jalapeno sides and marinaded beef was almost there but still lacking some "oomph" to really give it a truly Mexican flavor. If you ask me, their take on Mexican food was definetly better than MEXICALI.

Edited by maninmotion, 30 December 2014 - 10:40 PM.

#34 maninmotion

maninmotion

Libertine

• (05) Regular
  • 866 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 06:57 AM

Googling Mexican Restaurants in Metro Manila, I chanced upon BRASAS. I had been to to BRASAS but never considered it as purely Mexican dining. I had been to their Podium outlet and their food court one at SM AURA Global/Taguig. On all occasions, I was completely satisfied with their price, quantity and taste considering that it was almost a fast food operation at SM Aura while at best a casual dining at the Podium. Honestly, I first went there for their take on the classic Peruvian dish "Lomo Saltado". In checking out Peruvian restaurants, I use Lomo Saltado as my tasting dish to gauge one restaurant from the others. This dish is akin to our Bistek but a little more complex in taste and more savory in flavor. Usually it is served with just steamed rice and mix the sauce with it. In better Peruvian restaurants it is usually served with mixed green salad with cilantro lime dressing and some french fries type potatoes. Whenever I find my self at SM Aura and I am looking for some good and quick cheap eats, it is always a toss up between BRASAS and YAKITORI ONE.
  • Mad Damian likes this

#35 maninmotion

maninmotion

Libertine

• (05) Regular
  • 866 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 07:24 AM

My quest for a good tasting and authentic Tex-Mex cuisine continues. I have lined up the following: BAJA MEXICAN, CHI HUA HUA, FABURRITO, GOSTOSO, and A'TODA MADRE. I'll keep you posted about my experiences. Meantime, if you ask me which is the best tasting for me up to this time, without hesitation and blinking of an eye, it will be CHILIS' Fajitas hands down for me. And I am truly sorry for this because CHILIS as it is with T.G.I. FRIDAY, they are not even considered fine casual dining eateries much more gourmet like eating outlets in the States. And also here in Manila, these restaurants charge as much as 100% more than what the local eateries charge you. So it is only apt that they have better tasting meat, vegetable and sauces in fairness to the home grown ones.

#36 maninmotion

maninmotion

Libertine

• (05) Regular
  • 866 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 08:01 AM

In fairness to the locals, I am pretty sure that CHILIS and T.G.I.F. also flies in critical ingredients directly from their commissary in the States. The kind of sour cream they use, the Mexican three cheese variety, probably even their avocados or guacamole mix just are flown in because these items are not available in local groceries not even from Rustan's Fresh or Market Place.

#37 maninmotion

maninmotion

Libertine

• (05) Regular
  • 866 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 04:27 AM

Agave is good

I have been to AGAVE at Global near Boni High Street about 3 years ago. I don't have any much recollection about the food, maybe the margaritas had already kicked in. It might have been mediocre and did not really stand out but I will go back and check it in again.

#38 BillyButcher

BillyButcher

Charmer

• (05) Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 04:11 PM

I think Ristras has closed down already. I got fat because of their burritos.

One of the former owners there set up B&T Mexican Kitchen. It has more choices. I love their Mango Glazed Habanero Chicken Wings.

#39 maninmotion

maninmotion

Libertine

• (05) Regular
  • 866 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 01:13 PM

I ate lunch at B&T along Ortigas Ave. I ordered a carne asada chimichanga, an order of chips and salsa and a soda in can. My bill came to more than 500 pesos. An order like this with a better tasting and bigger chimichanga, chips on the side with unlimited helping of 12 different salsas in the salsa bar and a can of soda will not cost me more than $10.00 in any of the Mexican taquerias in the Mission district of SF, CA. What I am saying is, the food is overprice for the quality and quality and even ambience of the place. It's truly a pity because the owners seems to be very gracious and nice.

#40 maninmotion

maninmotion

Libertine

• (05) Regular
  • 866 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 07:06 AM

THE VILLAGE TAVERN at Boni High Street serves respectable tasting TEX-MEX cuisine but serving sizes seems to be wanting and prices not very enticing. But place is good for after dinner drinking with friends, guests or associates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users