• 18018 posts
  • Interests:pissing off sneaky sinful ones
    who change my profile info
    without my consent

Posted 15 April 2009 - 02:10 PM

BASIX
Dusit Thani Hotel

Attached File  Basix_Banner.jpg   112.93KB   0 downloads

One of the perks of staying in Manila for the Holy Week holidays (especially Good Fridays) is that driving gets to be such a joy since there is hardly any delays in traffic to ruin one's leisure travel from point A to point B. It was also at this day that one of my auntie, who is on extended vacation from the US decided to treat me and my sister to an Eat-All-You-Can buffet brunch at one of the fine hotel chains in the metropolis. The only condition is that I pick her up at her place of residence in the binondo area.

I was quite excited since initial impressions seems to indicate that we might be dining at SPIRALS which is located inside SOFITEL Philippine Plaza and quite a good short distance from binondo. I was a tad dissappointed when I learned that my auntie is to treat us at BASIX located inside DUSIT Thani Hotel in Pasay Road, Makati....... Of course, who am I to complain anyway, a free meal is still a free meal (minus the gasoline. hehehehehehe). And Dusit Thani is not so bad at all. It actually is less crowded so there is a more relaxed feel to it.

Since it was Good Friday..... the buffet is predominantly seafood, but there are still the usual grilled meats and roast beef for those who are not into this holy week ritual of foregoing meat. (I can be considered one). I took my seat and told my auntie and sister to go ahead and start getting the food they like. I also volunteered that I will watch their bags for them........ While they were at the buffet tables, I sat back and observed how most of the other diners would be getting their food. And I guess in typical filipino style, they usually get a bowl of soup and on their other hand is a big plate loaded with lots and lots of food which they got from the buffet spread. Imagine the waste if one cannot finish all those food.

I have a somewhat quirkier way when I dine in buffet style restos...... much as the average person piles up on the food with the thinking that they have to eat the quantity equivalent to what they are paying for. I usually just go for the stuff that I like. And I usually just pick up some small quantity and go back for more later on.

An example of how I dine at "Eat-All-You-Cans"

Attached File  basix_001.jpg   128.45KB   0 downloads

I always start out with some hot (or warm) soup. In this case, its some clear mixed seafood type (I forgot the name). There is another cauldron that serves shrimp bisque, but according to my sister, it has that strong fishy (or malansa) taste of which I am definitly not in favor of.

Attached File  basix_002.jpg   114.56KB   0 downloads

Next on my agenda is some bread. I got me a soft roll and a bavarian roll. Spread some butter into the bread and this prepares my stomach for the next batch of food Im going to get.

Attached File  basix_003.jpg   100.21KB   0 downloads

I just love fresh oysters !!! Over at the buffet table, there are loads of them lying in a bed of ice. The shells are not yet opened so one just picks out a few, hand it over to a waiting chef (or cook) who will crack open the shells, dip it in some clean water to wash away the residue from the shells and serve it to you on a nice clean plate. While waiting, I got myself some smoked salmon. In as much as I wanted to have more raw oysters, I ate only 3 pieces as having too many of them might give me a tummy ache.

Attached File  basix_004.jpg   89.39KB   0 downloads

Normally, hotel buffet does not serve very good sushi or sashimi but I just couldn't resist seeing that they were serving lapu lapu sushi plus squid sushi. Since I was there, might as well take a few maguro sushi as well. hehehehehehe

Attached File  basix_005.jpg   129.72KB   0 downloads

For someone who likes pastas, I also couldn't resist getting a few even if I risk the chance of eating less of the other foods since pastas tend to be heavy on the stomach. I just got me some spaghetti in marinara sauce and some twisted macaroni in meat sauce. :thumbsupsmiley:

Attached File  basix_006.jpg   126.7KB   0 downloads

I skipped the roast beef since I've been having beef noodle soup that past couple of days. Instead, I asked them to grill me some lamb chops with a spoonful of mint jelly. The flavor is not bad, except it was a bit overcooked for my taste.

What a shame that my cell phone cam suddenly went into shut down mode due to low batt so I couldn't take any more pictures. After the lamb chops, I also tried out some of their baked potatoes, seafood paella and went back to the sushi counter for more lapu lapu sushi.

The Dessert table was bursting with so many pastries and fruits of different colors. But I just opted for a scoop of chocolate ice cream and some strawberries dipped in the chocolate fountain.

I came out quite contended..... not extremely full but enough to keep me happy until dinner time which is 6 hours away. hahahahahahaha. I do hope that my auntie goes into triple extended vacation and PERHAPS!!! just perhaps, she would someday call us and ask us if we would like to dine in SPIRALS. haaaayz, I can dream can I ????

Edited by asmodeus, 15 April 2009 - 02:13 PM.

#22 asmodeus

asmodeus

CHEEERS !!!

• Ambassador
  • 18018 posts
    without my consent

Posted 17 April 2009 - 12:53 PM

TOKYU
Japanese Take-Out and Restaurant

Located along Panay Avenue, fronting Tropical Hut....... If you're coming from Club Pegasus Quezon Avenue, you can turn right at west avenue, then make a left at the first corner. Before reaching another intersection, its just to your right.

This eatery has been in the business for quite a long time already as I remember it was more than a decade ago when I stepped into their place which many years ago was just a small place where people go there to buy some take-out sashimi or sushi at a more reasonable price. Presently, it still offers the same take out food but they've expanded by offering other japanese inspired food and they've added some chairs and tables if one wishes to dine there.

Of course, for the purists who will consider authenticity as a factor when choosing a japanese resto to dine-in, this place I will not recommened. It would be better off if you were to try the nearby restos like Sushi Katsu or Omakase along the Tomas Morato Strip. Fact is, food here is somewhat in the league of Teriyaki Boy or Kimono Ken. (but definitly above Tokyo Tokyo)

What really keeps me coming back for the past ten years or so is the reasonably priced sushi and sashimi take-outs which I then bring to my nearby KTV hangouts to be used as "pulutan". While their sushi and sashimi take-outs may not be completely spectacular in taste...... given the lower price plus a decent presentation, its still a good buy for those looking for a quick sushi fix.

Most of their sushi take-outs are placed in this rectangular dish type styropor containers, rice topping meals are placed in styropor bowls. Though not all types of sashimi are available, some of the more popular ones like tuna, salmon, kani and uni are being offered.

Attached File  tokyu_002.jpg   67.29KB   0 downloads

Attached File  tokyu_001.jpg   66.5KB   0 downloads

Attached File  tokyu_004.jpg   81.65KB   0 downloads

My favorite orders are the mixed sushi/sahimi. Price comes to less than 150 pesos per order (good for two). One can also order individual items like all tuna sashimi or all kani sashimi.

Attached File  tokyu_003.jpg   62.97KB   0 downloads

If you're hosting a small party, one can also order (in advance) their BIG TRAY.Costing around 900 pesos which is good for around 8 to 10 people (depending on the appetite). Its a great way to impress your visitors and in my case, its a somewhat subtle way to impress the angels at the KTVs. hehehehehehe They also have what they call a SMALL TRAY which is about one-half the price and half the amount.

By da way, you get to keep the plastic tray. :thumbsupsmiley:

Edited by asmodeus, 17 April 2009 - 05:29 PM.

#23 asmodeus

asmodeus

CHEEERS !!!

• Ambassador
  • 18018 posts
    without my consent

Posted 20 April 2009 - 01:12 PM

RECIPES
Tri Noma

A first glance at the resto from the outside and based on the minimalist interiors, one would think that this place is more of a pasta pizza place. A quick scan at their menu which is posted outside indicates otherwise, with dishes like laing and lechon kawali, one has the impression that we are going to be dining in Filipino fare. So after a little prodding, I convinced my parents to go along with this food trip. I did tell them that its been awhile since we've sampled filipino dishes. And luckily, as I glanced thru the menu, they were serving Dinuguan which I'm sure my mom will not be able to resist trying. (My mom is on a silent quest to look for the best dinuguan in the metropolis. hehehehehehehe)

In fairness to the resto, the place is quite cool as far as temperature is concerned, what with two big split type airconditioners cooling a place that has approximately less than 10 tables to accomodate diners. The seats ...... though made of plastic and metal are comfortable enough for some relaxing chat while waiting for our orders.

For a place that has this somewhat simple yet sophisticated look, I was quite disappointed when the server handed me their menu........ Its just a piece of one side laminated white paperboard. Fonts used were (if i remember right) the too simple Arial fonts that is totally not reflective of what sophistication is all about. Personally thinking, its not really that expensive to ask any freelance graphic artist to design a more better looking menu. A closer scan at the menu, indicated that its not purely Filipino Dishes that are being served. Its more of a fusion of some of the other asian neighbor's dishes like thai and korean. With that being said, each of us ordered something which aroused our curiosity.

THAI SPRING ROLLS

Attached File  recipe_001.jpg   68.96KB   0 downloads

This dish was my personal choice to order as I have always enjoyed trying out different types of spring rolls (both fresh and fried). When the dish came out, my jaws dropped.........Personally, I'm not an artist or anything, but this is taking minimalist way too seriously, I mean have you ever seen such a boring dish (aesthetic wise) ???? Perhaps some carrot or cucumber garnish would have make it look better than just 8 pieces of tubes lying on a plate. Or they could have sliced the spring roll in the middle and placed it in standing position (for arts sake). But then again, hard to make them stand as they made the spring rolls too thin that they almost looked like Lumpiang Shanghai.

Ok so they don't look so appetizing, perhaps the secret is whats inside. So I took a bite...... and another, and another. So far, after a couple of bites, most of what I could taste are the vermicelli. I think there are hints of some veggies and meat, but with the overpowering presence and taste of the vermicelli, they should call this dish "Fried Vermicelli Springroll". The accompanying dipping sauce is of no help either as it tasted somewhat like watered down Jufran sweet chili sauce.

KOREAN BEEF STEW

Attached File  recipe_002.jpg   72.18KB   0 downloads

This was my dad's order and when the order came, I looked up at the server then over to the window where I can see some of the cooks doing their work. I figured I was in the TV show Candid Camera and that probably the some of them were already snickering before they'd suddenly burst into shouts of "Smile You're on Candid Camera"........ that of course, didn't happen. The dish of course still looks like a practical joke. I mean its pathetic to see a somewhat big bowl only half-filled. The least they could have done was use a smaller bowl so that the visual effect part would look a bit better. And mind you, for a viand in the 230 to 250 peso price range, we'd expected the servings to be bigger.

Taste-wise, In as much as korean beef stew are relatively sweet in nature due partly to the sesame seeds and oil, this dish was a way too sweet from the usual fare. In fairness, I liked it that they added a bit of spiciness into it. The beef itself was a bit tough to chew unless you choose the really fatty parts of which there is a huge portion of it. Good luck when you get to the tendons.

BANGUS BELLY WITH MANGO RELISH

Attached File  recipe_003.jpg   70.58KB   0 downloads

At least they tried their hand at a little decorating even though the appearance came out a bit sloppy. I would have preferred that they placed the chopped onions and mango in a separate nice small bowl and served it along with the fish. Speaking of the fish....... not much to crow about as its basically bangus "daing" style that lacked a little more time in the marinade and the doneness was a bit over so it tasted kinda dry.

DINUGUAN

Attached File  recipe_004.jpg   48.17KB   0 downloads

Just like the korean beef stew, this dish looked bad. You would have probably by now noticed that they practically use the same type of bowl for serving the beef as well as the dinuguan. I'm thinking if I ordered soup, they would serve it in the same type of bowl. It had me thinking...... perhaps they were just being practical, especially in these times of crisis and getting different kinds of plates and bowls will inevitably reflect on the prices we have to pay for dining there. But then again, their prices are not exactly cheap for the unspectacular food they are serving. Trinoma must be charging them a high rental fee. (Again!!! We are served a bowl which is half-filled)

My Mother swore that the taste of the Dinuguan is no better than the one we had at the Landmark fastfood outlets.

Going by the number of diners and the still number of people waiting outside, I'd say my opinion will definitly be on opposite poles, but then this is just me and my experience. As a final opinion: If you happen to drop by, expecting some great gastronomic experience then I will say you will be disappointed. For those who are here just to answer the call of hunger, these filipino and a few other asian comfort food will do the trick. (That is if wont be surprised at the higher priced dishes.)

#24 asmodeus

asmodeus

CHEEERS !!!

• Ambassador
  • 18018 posts
    without my consent

Posted 25 April 2009 - 10:08 AM

GLORIA MARIS
Manila Bay

It was a Friday (April 24), I was supposed to meet up with some fellow MTC members at my favorite KTV hangout. But a day before, I was informed by my parents that we have a supposed family dinner to attend to. (yeah!! more like the cousin of my cousin's cousin) With me being the one and only family driver available since my mom did not inform the family driver earlier..... I had no choice but to make the loooong drive all the way to the Manila Bay area. (somewhere near Sofitel Philippine Plaza)

Because of the distance, I hardly come to this restaurant as I usually just go the much nearer Greenhills branch. But from what I remember, the place used to be quite smaller as far as the dining hall is concerned. I was surprised that they decided to expand it (around 3 to 4 times bigger) and give it some more brighter lights.

Since it was a birthday celebration, most of the guests coming wore red. My mom actually asked me to wear something red or anything that is somewhat close to red like pink or orange. But being the Rebel that I am, hehehehehe I just chose a dark green shirt with dark blue jeans much to the disappointment of my mom.

Food is served Lauriat Style with each (big) dish coming in one at a time. Normally it runs up to 8 courses (depending on the budget). What we had last night ran up to 10 courses (dessert included)....... being just a guest, I wasn't the one that ordered the food so I am not sure what they are actually called.

BIRTHDAY MISUA

Attached File  gloria_001.jpg   121.03KB   0 downloads

Normally, its called Birthday Pansit Canton But I guest the host decided to change it to misua (which is basically a much thinner version of the regular noodles.

ROAST SUCKLING PIG

Attached File  gloria_002.jpg   142.3KB   0 downloads

The skins are not burnt, the overall taste is good but not oily. But one still has to watch their intake as it can be quite addictive especially to those who like lechon. Even though it doesn't taste fatty, I'm sure there is still a good amount of cholesterol there.

TARO _______ ???

Attached File  gloria_003.jpg   109.13KB   0 downloads

Up to now, I am not exactly sure what the filling is aside from the taro. Some of my seatmates say its fish, others say its scallops. Either way, Im not a fan of the Taro. (Give me mash potatoes anytime.)

PRAWN SALAD

Attached File  gloria_004.jpg   126.52KB   0 downloads

Just your basic prawns and fruit cocktail mixed with mayonnaise.

FISH LIP with MUSHROOM SOUP

Attached File  gloria_005.jpg   113.79KB   0 downloads

A very refreshing clear soup that is not that heavy on the stomach. Saltiness is also just right.

LAPU LAPU (Cooked Two Ways)

Attached File  gloria_006.jpg   151.84KB   0 downloads

The first part is Lapu Lapu fillet cooked with starch and served with broccoli. (This I think is my favorite dish for the night) The fish is cooked just right (not under nor over cooked)

Attached File  gloria_007.jpg   131.01KB   0 downloads

Second part consists of whats left of the fish and stewed with tofu.

ABALONE with MUSHROOM

Attached File  gloria_008.jpg   156.16KB   0 downloads

Another starchy dish that seems to be a staple in chinese lauriat banquets. I like the way that the Abalone is cooked with is slightly rubbery when you chew on it. Some of the other restaurants sometimes serve abalone that is already in a soggy state.

FRIED PIGEON

Attached File  gloria_009.jpg   136.46KB   0 downloads

Probabably because of all that flying, pigeon meat tends to be a bit tougher than chicken. But if cooked right, its one tasty treat.

TAHO (Beancurd Custard)

Attached File  gloria_010.jpg   128.5KB   0 downloads

Finally !!! somebody decided to serve something different aside from the usual mixed fruits or mango sago. I usually order Taho for dessert when I dine in their greenhills branch so you can see I was quite excited when I saw them coming out of the kitchen in those cute looking wooden or bamboo type containers.

The disappointment comes when I tasted the brown sugar syrup...... It tasted different from what I was used to. I'm thinking that they got the mixing and heating part wrong.

Overall, it was a pleasurable dining experience for me, Gloria Maris still hasn't lost their touch in serving some of the finer chinese dishes here in the Metropolis. Although I'm still sour that I wasn't able to attend our gathering at my favorite KTV hangout. hehehehehehe

Edited by asmodeus, 25 April 2009 - 10:26 AM.

#25 asmodeus

asmodeus

CHEEERS !!!

• Ambassador
  • 18018 posts
    without my consent

Posted 30 April 2009 - 02:09 PM

SBARRO
Tri Noma

Looking for a quick meal after buying some computer accessories at the nearby shops, me and my friend decided to grab a bite before heading out for our respective homes. We were in the mood for some pizzas and pastas. Since there was no Amici, we decided on the next best available eatery.

Seafood Pasta Primavera

Attached File  sbarro_001.jpg   125.98KB   0 downloads

Just your average Fusilli pasta mixed with assorted seafoods and topped with white cream sauce. Though I find the sauce a little bland, the seafoods helped give the dish some taste without the need for added salt. (though I put in a dash of garlic powder)

Salmon Steak

Attached File  sbarro_002.jpg   108.2KB   0 downloads

Looks good from the outside...... but it was way too raw on the inside. The rawness would have been nice if I was being served sashimi plus the fact that my friend is not really fond of raw dishes.

Chicago Deep Dish Pizza

Attached File  sbarro_003.jpg   122.67KB   0 downloads

This dish alone is a complete meal, the slice of pizza itself is big enough for two to share (depending on appetite). and the stuffings come in an assortment of goodies like mushrooms, onions, meat and cheese. I requested for extra mozzarella which cost me another 29 pesos

For someone in slight budget mode, an order of a deep dish pizza plus a pasta dish and sodas if good enough for 2 people to share. Price may come to around less than 200 pesos per head.

Edited by asmodeus, 30 April 2009 - 02:10 PM.

#26 asmodeus

asmodeus

CHEEERS !!!

• Ambassador
  • 18018 posts
    without my consent

Posted 30 April 2009 - 02:43 PM

GRILLA
Promenade, Greenhills

It was on a cloudy tuesday night that fellow MTC members SWEET INTROVERT (aka IQ ZERO), saer VICTOR DAVION and yours truly decided to chill out in one of the eateries near the greenhills area since I was to make a short visit to my sister's place near the camp crame area. Our main objective was not really food trippin but to try out the BELOW ZERO beer being served in the said establishment.

From what I know, this BELOW ZERO concept is wherein beer is chilled to the point that the beer bottle is ice frosted already but the contents, though extremely chilled is not yet frozen. Me and Saer SWEET INTROVERT started with a bottle of Pale Pilsen each, then shifted to Cerveza Negra on our next orders. The experience was fantastic as the beer went down smoothly. When you pour it into a glass..... there is hardly any foam forming. Sa sobrang sarap ng beer, I think we were able to consume a good number of bottles in a short span of 2 hours.

Of course, enjoying a night of beer drinking is never complete without a little "Pulutan". I cant remember the names of what we ordered but there was really nothing special about the dishes. They were in fact, just plain and ordinary "BeerMates".

Baked Mussels

Attached File  grilla_001.jpg   140.91KB   0 downloads

Because of the size, I'm guessing they are not those New Zealand Mussels. Some of the pieces were a bit charred but thats ok with me. The good blend of the melted sheese and garlic more than make up for it.

Mixed Meat Platter

Attached File  grilla_002.jpg   164.76KB   0 downloads

Lets see, aside from some additional mussels, there's also some pork BBQ, french fries w/cheese, mushrooms cooked in garlic and oil and the ones with the toothpick are breaded deep fried quail eggs.

Edited by asmodeus, 30 April 2009 - 02:45 PM.

#27 mhengh

mhengh

Yaris ka!!!

• (10) Super Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4400 posts
  • Interests:booze, babes, watermelon juice, fake DVDs, GORILLAZ, mind games...

Posted 10 May 2009 - 05:39 PM

love this thread...gotta buy me a camphone para mas astig ang contributions ko...

on the way to visit my Mom at UST hospital yesterday, my stomach suddenly started rumbling...told the taxi to make a right at Welcome Rotonda to Mayon street...was surprised when after 500 meters, i spotted my Dad's vehicle parked and he was apparently getting his hair cut nearby...went down and immediately joined him (para libre ang pagkain...)

so i managed to persuade my father to treat me and the driver to one of our favorite pig-out joints when i was still a kid...JONAS PARES at Mayon Street...dang, my mouth was already watering when we parked outside...

we ordered 3 Beef Pares combos (100 pesos each) and this Tofu dish with "Chinese" mushrooms (those big black ones that i think are called Shitake)...sad to say, the Beef Pares at Jonas has really lost it's old flavor...the meat was ok with just the right amount of fat...the disappointment was the sauce...really bland and lacked the appropriate sweetness that i have grown accustomed to when eating beef pares...got an extra rice, and started eating the tofu with mushrooms...sauce was also a bit tasteless but at least the tofu squares were huge...total bill was around 550 for the items which also included 2 drinks and a mixed beef/pork mami for my father...he hated the thick noodles btw...

to summarize my experience here at JONAS...the food looks scrumptious from behind the glass but dont be deceived...medyo kulang talaga sa flavor...

whew, my first food trip FR...describing food is harder than i thought...hehehe...

Edited by mhengh, 10 May 2009 - 06:04 PM.

#28 asmodeus

asmodeus

CHEEERS !!!

• Ambassador
  • 18018 posts
    without my consent

Posted 11 May 2009 - 01:24 PM

TACO BELL
Tri Noma

Out of curiosity me and my friend decided to try this mexican inspired fastfood after shopping around for some ipod accessories...... we just ordered what they call the GRANDE MEAL which consists of some of their bestselling goodies (save for the burritos) plus three 12 oz. drinks of which you can upsize to a higher size by adding a few more pesos.

You'll have to forgive me if the pics doesnt have a more decent look as this is a fastfood outlet and they dont have plates for us customers to use. I either had to make sure of some paperboard thingy or the styropor containers.

LARGE CHEESE QUESADILLA

Attached File  taco_bell_001.jpg   135.17KB   0 downloads

A bit amusing is that this dish comes to you wrapped in some plastic bag. Its basically two pieces of toasted soft tortilla placed together like a sandwich with cheese and some spices in the middle. I enjoyed it because they added a hint of spiciness and it really went well with the soft cheese inside. The downer here is that there is no dips available like salsa or sour cream. (you pay extra for the sour cream :thumbsdownsmiley: )

CRUNCHY TACO

Attached File  taco_bell_002.jpg   98.54KB   0 downloads

Crunchy yes .......... but just by looking at the picture, one can see that they really scrimp you on the fillings. Ground beef is very little. There is no salsa save for some chopped tomatoes, lettuce and onions. Plus the cheeses are not grated properly.

NACHO CHIPS

Attached File  taco_bell_003.jpg   109.45KB   0 downloads

Crunchy nacho chips served with a little ground beef, chopped tomatoes and onions topped with creamy cheese and sour cream. (by da way, you pay extra if you wanted the sour cream)

Nothing really special, same comment as with the Taco.

MEXICAN PIZZA

Attached File  taco_bell_004.jpg   136.04KB   0 downloads

Not really a pizza ...... just some triangular shaped crunchy tortilla shaped into a circular piece and topped with whatever was in the tacos to make it look like a pizza.

If you ask me, save for the quesadillas.... they all tasted pretty much the same. (Next time, I should try the burritos)

It wasnt really a total disaster.... though the dishes are similar somewhat in taste, and for a fastfood they didn't taste that bad. (just a little bland). I am actually recommending this place for people who are a bit tired of the other fastfood dishes like burgers and fries and try this as an alternative.

Edited by asmodeus, 11 May 2009 - 01:26 PM.

#29 dencio

dencio

Solo Flyer

• (08) Fanatical Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2567 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 10:14 PM

RECIPES
Tri Noma

[size=4]
A first glance at the resto from the outside and based on the minimalist interiors, one would think that this place is more of a pasta pizza place. A quick scan at their menu which is posted outside indicates otherwise, with dishes like laing and lechon kawali, one has the impression that we are going to be dining in Filipino fare. So after a little prodding, I convinced my parents to go along with this food trip. I did tell them that its been awhile since we've sampled filipino dishes. And luckily, as I glanced thru the menu, they were serving Dinuguan which I'm sure my mom will not be able to resist trying. (My mom is on a silent quest to look for the best dinuguan in the metropolis. hehehehehehehe)

In fairness to the resto, the place is quite cool as far as temperature is concerned, what with two big split type airconditioners cooling a place that has approximately less than 10 tables to accomodate diners. The seats ...... though made of plastic and metal are comfortable enough for some relaxing chat while waiting for our orders.

For a place that has this somewhat simple yet sophisticated look, I was quite disappointed when the server handed me their menu........ Its just a piece of one side laminated white paperboard. Fonts used were (if i remember right) the too simple Arial fonts that is totally not reflective of what sophistication is all about. Personally thinking, its not really that expensive to ask any freelance graphic artist to design a more better looking menu. A closer scan at the menu, indicated that its not purely Filipino Dishes that are being served. Its more of a fusion of some of the other asian neighbor's dishes like thai and korean. With that being said, each of us ordered something which aroused our curiosity.

Not sure if this Recipes is related to the Recipes in Greenbelt 2's restaurant row. I have tried that place quite a few times and I had a more pleasurable experience than what you had. In the Greenbelt place, if my memory is still intact, they serve the spring rolls cut up with the edges (dulo) standing up. My favorite entree is the Fried Crispy Tilapia. This is so good, crispy on the outside and tender inside, I end up finishing it with my bare hands - para masimot. :thumbsupsmiley: Did you see this in the menu? Also I don't remember being served meals in oversized bowls, fortunately.

Nice review Bro! Keep 'em coming! :cool:

#30 asmodeus

asmodeus

CHEEERS !!!

• Ambassador
  • 18018 posts
    without my consent

Posted 14 May 2009 - 10:46 AM

8 SPICES
Thai Inspired Resto

Housed at the Second Floor of the IL TERRAZO Bldg. along Tomas Morato in Quezon City.

THE FOOD :

Thai Spring Rolls

Attached File  8_spice_001.jpg   112.98KB   0 downloads

An assortment of fillings like chopped vermicelli, mushrooms and some ground meat wrapped in Rice Paper and then deep fried. Nothing really special but its nice and crispy.

Prawn Pattie

Attached File  8_spice_002.jpg   115.05KB   0 downloads

Think Shrimp Balls except that this is shaped more like a hamburger pattie. It is then dipped in bread crumbs and I would assume also deep fried. It is then served in this nicely shaped Rice Paper with some thai sweet chili sauce as dipping sauce. This is actually my favorite dish for that particular night. With just the right amount of bread crumbs for that crispy bite and the shrimp pattie inside that is cooked just right, I was actually contemplating on ordering another serving. I am sure this dish would be a hit with the kids. (I noticed most of the other guests were ordering this particular dish)

Spicy Seafood Soup.

Attached File  8_spice_003.jpg   116.83KB   0 downloads

I cant recall how you call this in thai, i think its TOM YUM (something something). This soup is very tasty as me and my sister thoroughly enjoyed it. If you are not very used to spicy stuff.... better ask the server to tone down a bit on the spices. As for me, I asked the server to prepare it the regular or usual way. hehehehehehehe was soaking up some sweat as I was happily slurping spoonful after spoonful.

Pad Thai Noodle

Attached File  8_spice_004.jpg   130.84KB   0 downloads

No I did not make a mistake and posted a picture of scrambled egg omelette...... this is in fact how they serve the Pad Thai noodles. I like the presentation as there was this slight element of surprise wondering if the server gave us the wrong dish. What I do not like though, is the somewhat overdose in bean sprouts up to the point that I can hardly taste the noodles itself.

Lamb Curry

Attached File  8_spice_005.jpg   111.13KB   0 downloads

Do take note that you can ask the server to tone down the spices especially if you are with kids or with someone who is not that used to very spicy food. I had to do so since my 5 year old niece was present at the time. (I forgot about the soup though). Anyway, the mixture of red thai curry and coconut milk is just right that one does not overpower the other and the lamb itself is tender enough. This dish is best eaten with plain rice.

8 Spices Pineapple Fried Rice

Attached File  8_spice_006.jpg   160.95KB   0 downloads

Presentation wise ...... it looks so cute, my niece kept shouting "Pineapple, Pineapple". Its basically fried rice mixed with assorted seafoods and fresh pineapple chunks. The problem here is I dont see the connection as to why they added salted eggs into the dish. I mean seafoods are generally slightly on the salty side already, then it was made even saltier with the eggs. And all that saltiness just did not mix with sweet pineapple. (Perhaps I should have opted for the Bagoong Rice)

Speaking of which ..... a few days after I verbally recommended this resto to a friend of mine. She tried it and told me that the Bagoong Rice would be a better option.

There were a couple of other dishes which I cannot remember what they were called so I had to make up some names.

Fried Lapu Lapu in Sweet Chili Sauce

Attached File  8_spice_007.jpg   154.15KB   0 downloads

Beef with Brocoli

Attached File  8_spice_008.jpg   125.86KB   0 downloads

Crispy Chicken in Sweet and Sour Sauce

Attached File  8_spice_009.jpg   144.74KB   0 downloads

Overall, it was a nice and pleasurable dining experience. The resto is comfortably cool enough and the servers are quick and attentive. Depending on what you ordered, damage may come to around 600++ per head.

Edited by asmodeus, 14 May 2009 - 10:47 AM.

#31 asmodeus

asmodeus

CHEEERS !!!

• Ambassador
  • 18018 posts
    without my consent

Posted 14 May 2009 - 12:50 PM

Red Kimono / Painted Red
SM Megamall, Atrium

Not sure if it is at the 1st or 2nd Level, but it is beside GUMBO Restaurant at the Atrium Section of SM Megamall. I posted 2 names because it is actually 2 restaurants in one with only a wooden divider to distinguish between RED KIMONO which serves japanese inspired dishes and PAINTED RED which serves more western inspired dishes. Either way, whichever section you are seated, you are given two sets of menu and you have the option to order the japanese or western dishes or both. Now this is truly an east meets west resto. hehehehehehehe

Artichoke and Spinach Fondue

Attached File  kimono_002.jpg   151.1KB   0 downloads

While my mom was getting a haircut at the nearby salon, Me and my dad decided to just walk around and look for a nice resto to have lunch. My dad was somewhat in the mood for some japanese inspired food so we finally saw Red Kimono and just opted to get us a seat inside the resto and ordered some appetizers as we waited for my mom to finish. (of course i had to text my mom where we were located).

It is basically cheese fondue mixed with chopped artichokes and spinach and served with roasted garlic bread and nacho chips. While it may not be as flavorful as the artichoke fondue dish of CYMA, it is still a tasty dish. On a personal note, it would have been better if the artichokes and spinach were chopped into even smaller pieces.

Miso Soup

Attached File  kimono_001.jpg   135.62KB   0 downloads

Going into most restos that serve miso soup, the taste is basically the same. What would differentiate it is the amount of water added....... too few and it becomes a bit too salty and too much, you will loose the taste of the miso. Red Kimono's version is prepared just right and they added a touch of class by opting to use a ceramic bowl instead of those black plastic japanese soup bowls that fastfoods are known for.

Seafood Gumbo Soup..

Attached File  kimono_003.jpg   124.84KB   0 downloads

When my mom arrived, she too was in the mood for some soup, she ordered this one because it looked interesting in the picture. Its a mixture of seafood, sausages and vegetables in a somewhat tomato based broth. It actually tasted a little like those canned campell alphabet soup but with a nice twist of added spiciness. Though Im not exactly sure why they placed some steamed rice in the middle but if you're the hungry type ....... the soup itself is enough to fill you up.

Salmon Sashimi

Attached File  kimono_004.jpg   126.75KB   0 downloads

Ok, after finishing more than half of the Fondue, its time order some more. For starters, I ordered some salmon sashimi as per the request of my dad. Like the Miso Soup, most salmon sashimi elsewhere would taste the same. What separates the good ones from the bad ones would be the freshness of the fish itself and how the fish is prepared (or sliced).

With Red Kimono's version, I find the fish a bit too soggy, probably not totally fresh or they came from the more fatty parts. I prefer my sashimi to be on the tender yet firm side so that when one bites into the meat, there is a tiny bit of resistance before giving way.

Red Scorpion Maki

Attached File  kimono_005.jpg   157.56KB   0 downloads

Now here's a winner ...... sushi roll with soft shell crab meat and raw salmon on the insides and sprinkled with raw tuna bits and salmon roe on the outside. Better ease up on the soy sauce as the crab meat tends to be a bit too salty already.

Chicken Teriyaki

Attached File  kimono_006.jpg   154.64KB   0 downloads

Again, one of those common japanese dishes that families like to order. I guess whats important is that the chicken is nicely cooked. I especially dont want it cooked too dry. Fortunately, it was not the case.

Wasabi Oyster Tempura

Attached File  kimono_007.jpg   162.11KB   0 downloads

Oysters cooked tempura style and topped with this Teriyaki Mayo dressing. For added effect, they placed it back on the shell. It is actually a nice and tasty dish (just make sure to smother the entire piece of oyster in the dressing)..... really nice for impressing your date especially if he/she likes oysters. Though they could have used bigger oysters.

Diablo Shrimp Pasta

Attached File  kimono_008.jpg   155.72KB   0 downloads

Shrimp with roasted garlic served on white pesto spaghetti and dried chili...... the shrimps are cooked just right and the spaghetti tasted creamy though not very heavy on the stomach.

My main complaint would be that the tables are way too small...... I mean just by putting the fondue dish, it practically occupied the entire table with just enough room for our plates. Im always wondering why with our local culture of big family gatherings at restaurants do some restos still opted to use tables fit for one on one dinner dates. I'm assuming they're saving space so they can fit in more tables.

Nonetheless, it was a very relaxing and tasty lunch we had that particular sunday. Depending on what you ordered, damage may come to around 600 pesos per head.

Edited by asmodeus, 14 May 2009 - 12:58 PM.

#32 SINless

SINless

SINless

• (08) Fanatical Member
  • 2546 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 12:21 PM

SOMS Maysilo Circle

This small restaurant is fairly invisible just across the entrance to the Mandaluyong City Hall. Innocuous in appearance and simple in decor, it serves amazingly delicious and authentic Thai cuisine. I recently ate there with some friends, just for fun we ordered 4 viands, beef curry, crab cake, spring rolls, and pad thai chicken, as well as 3 bagoong fried rice. As the food arrived, I was more than pleasantly surprised at the delicious wafting odor of herbs and spices that arose from the simply plated food. I was also a bit shocked at the quantities which are more than generous considering the price tag. In fact, if we knew that there was so much in each order, we'd have probably cut the order of rice down by one.

The beef curry was sublime and delicious, the tender texture of the beef complemented well by the light zing of the red pepper curry sauce.

The crab cakes were also fairly large, about 2.5 inches in diameter, packed fully and without that raw floury taste that so often bedevils this simple yet delicious item.

The spring rolls (fried of course) was good and the quantity just right for 3.

The pad thai chicken ... what can I say? Yummy

Oh, and the bagoong fried rice? One order is enough to fill up the normal person without ordering extra viands, it was tasty and delicious, but if you are expecting the Filipino bagoong, think again, most of the herbs and spices used here is made in Thailand, which gives it a different taste, one that is really unexpected from such a small and unassuming establishment.

All told, good value for your money (1.2K for all 3 of us with all those orders and our drinks).

#33 SINless

SINless

SINless

• (08) Fanatical Member
  • 2546 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 04:56 PM

Hosena's Bulalohan, Kalentong

Sitting atop the bakery, this small and very simple looking place simply serves one of the best bulalo in the metropolis, an order plus rice comes to about PHP 145.00 but leaves you full.

The bulalo itself is normally long boiled with much of the flavor infusing the soup, each order includes the bone marrow and a decent amount of meat and more importantly, tendons, though scraping it off from the bone while it remains hot enough to be delicious is sometimes frustrating.

On the other hand the rice is subpar, the lack of airconditioning means that this place is good to eat in when there are only few clients to lower the ambient humidity in the establishment.

Do they serve anything else? I wouldn't know, I've been eating here for over a score of years but this is the only thing I order. :upside:

WARNING: Eating a lot of bulalo is like asking for a stroke, eat moderately.

#34 ctc

ctc

Looker

• (04) Casual
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 09:03 AM

Tried Letty's Panciteria in Batangas City. There best selling item here is the Pancit Pula or Pancit Tkyano. It has a unique blend of Pinoy and Chinese flavor.Attached File  VGA_La_Virginia_Resort_022.jpg   145.2KB   0 downloads

#35 ctc

ctc

Looker

• (04) Casual
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 09:06 AM

Pancit Tikyano

Attached Files

#36 SINless

SINless

SINless

• (08) Fanatical Member
  • 2546 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 11:48 AM

Mannan (Mann Han) Restaurant, J. Abad Santos St., San Juan, Metro Manila

Mannan is the newer establishhment made by the same owners of the various Mann Han restaurants. This wonderfully large edifice is of a neo-modern design with massive glass windows.
Attached File  Mannan_Ext_01.jpg   61.02KB   0 downloads

Attached File  Mannan_Ext_02.jpg   56.39KB   0 downloads

Attached File  Mannan_Ext_03.jpg   69.74KB   0 downloads

The ambiance is almost the standard chinese resto but with the high vaulted ceilings, the ambient noise level drops to a comfortable level.
Attached File  Mannan_Vaulted_Ceiling.jpg   55.49KB   0 downloads

The Food
Hot and Sour Soup
Attached File  Mannan_Hot_and_Sour_Soup.jpg   69.24KB   0 downloads
A staple in Chinese cuisine, hot and sour soup is not something that is often included in most restaurants that cater to Filipinos. Though I've tasted better versions of this, still, its pretty good for the price.

Beef Brocolli Flowers
Attached File  Mannan_Beef_and_Brocolli.jpg   63.19KB   0 downloads
I was pretty disappointed in this, obviously the chef didn't check the purchaser's buys quite as well as he should have. The beef (which was supposed to be tenderloin) had several slices of what seems to be chuck mixed in as it had the consistency of boiled leather. The tender cuts of beef was really tender and the brocolli flowers were pretty large sized, cooking was near perfect.

Tender Steamed Beef
Attached File  Mannan_Tender_Beef.jpg   49.25KB   0 downloads
Talk about melt in your mouth beef, this really rocked my world. A must try for everyone, and probably going to be a staple in my journeys back to Mannan.

Salt n' Pepper Pork
Attached File  Mannan_Salt_and_Pepper_Pork.jpg   30.57KB   0 downloads
I know that to most people, when you talk about Chinese food, one of the first things that leap to mind is sweet and sour pork, however, salt and pepper pork is arguably just as delicious, with a different range of flavors that should appeal to just about anyone.

Yakitori
Attached File  Mannan_Yakitori.jpg   38.33KB   0 downloads
Okay, this dish was obviously taken straight out from Japan, chicken yakitori. Not bad, not the best, but ... not bad.

Yochi (Pork Kidneys)
Attached File  Mannan_Kidney.jpg   41.3KB   0 downloads
A dish remembered from childhood days, this was delicious and almost as good as the ones grandma used to make (giving allowance to the joyous childhood years).

All in all, Mannan is more relaxing than its sibling stores, and with the owner keeping an eagle eye on the staff, service is quick and the food is very palatable, and some dishes achieve a must try status.

Edited by SINless, 05 June 2009 - 11:53 AM.

#37 mhengh

mhengh

Yaris ka!!!

• (10) Super Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4400 posts
  • Interests:booze, babes, watermelon juice, fake DVDs, GORILLAZ, mind games...

Posted 09 June 2009 - 02:37 PM

a Foodtrip FR for the LXG (pics courtesy of Tempest)

for the longest time, our group has been talking about eating at Tempest's territory in Binondo...last Sunday, we finally got a chance to do just that...Batman and I met up at around 4 in MRT Anonas and headed on to Recto then to Sta Cruz...i apologize if i don't get the names of the area right since i really am a noob when it comes to places in Manila...we met tempest at the front of this McDonalds branch facing a church and we immediately took a stroll down the streets of Chinatown...as a side note, Temp treated us to some fried siopao being sold on the sidewalk...we weren't able to get a picture of it but it sure was yummy and the fillings were plentiful than your average mini siopao...

after a few minutes of walking (and a quick peek at Primera spa), we were still having difficulty deciding where to eat...the goal was to eat at a Chinese resto since Batman and I didn't come all the way to Binondo just to eat at Mang Inasal...hehehe...we finally settled at Golden Fortune Seafood Restaurant...at first glance, the place looked classier than the other joints we bypassed so we got us a table right in the middle to better observe the surroundings...there were these aquariums full of fishies which i guessed would later on be consumed by the patrons...

since this was merienda time and we already had a few quick bites outside, we ordered the small version of the Yang Chow Fried rice...nothing exceptional about this since almost all Yang Chow fried rice versions taste the same to me...sa rekado lang talaga nagkakaiba...guess we should have asked for a small bowl of soy sauce with kalamansi to heighten the flavor which according to Temp was pretty bland...aside from the rice, we decided to order 2 more dishes to satisfy our salivating tounges...these were:

Sweet and Sour Pork
Posted Image
for something that has been a favorite of mine whenever i eat at Chinese restos, this dish was surprisingly disappointing due to the fact that there seemed to be more peppers and onion slices than the pork...the sauce was a bit too sweet and the only saving grace was the pork pieces which were tasty and easy to chew...

Beef tenderloin in Garlic
Posted Image
notice how the plate is slightly half full...we almost forgot to take a picture of this dish since the waiter forgot our order...this was the better dish of the 2 we ordered...at first glance, it looked like your regular tapa that is served with tapsilog...medium sized-serving and the garlic seasoning was just right to entice our taste buds...

overall, i would rate this place a 7 out of 10...the food was enough to satisfy my hunger but i would rather try the other restos when we go back to the area...we spent around 1100 for the food which also included 3 glasses of bottomless iced tea...

#38 asmodeus

asmodeus

CHEEERS !!!

• Ambassador
  • 18018 posts
    without my consent

Posted 09 June 2009 - 05:51 PM

SKY DRAGON
Along Gandara Street in between Ongpin and Espeleta.

My dad promised he'd treat a balikbayan friend to lunch, so with me being the only family driver available, I had no choice. But hey!! waht the heck! we're going to Chinatown so it might not be that bad. And according to my dad, the place is good when it comes to service. I then asked...... "what about the food" ???? His anwer..... "Just try it"

Sharks Fin Dumpling

Attached File  sky_dragon_001.jpg   58.51KB   0 downloads

My dad and his friend are not that fond of dimsum, so i just ordered this one for comparisons sake.... Like many other sharksfin dumpling I tasted before, this one disappoints mainly because I tasted more of the dumpling wrap than the meat inside. And my usual question is ....... where's the sharksfin ?????

Minced Spinach Seafood Soup

Attached File  sky_dragon_002.jpg   49.36KB   0 downloads

In my opinion, the spinach could use a little more time in the food processor (if that is what they use) so that it becomes more fine. There were specks of minced shrimp and fish but could use some minced scallops for added flavor. Also a bit too much on the starch and egg.

Nonetheless, it was a tasty soup (with some added seasoning) that is light on the stomach.

Boneless Eel in Tausi Sauce

Attached File  sky_dragon_003.jpg   80.66KB   0 downloads

I ordered this because I want to compare it with the old President restaurant's Eel Dish. Judging from the looks, they are somewhat similar, but once you start to scoop up the eel you will notice that Sky Dragon's version is more watered down (or less tausi) But that is not to say that its bad ...... it actually is less salty than the President version.

This dish is best eaten with plain rice and my advise is to request the BONELESS version. Believe me, its more fun eating the eel without the nuisance of trying to separate the meat from the bone inside your mouth.

Steamed beancurd with Diced Pork

Attached File  sky_dragon_004.jpg   63.81KB   0 downloads

I was delighted that they used japanese beancurd (or tofu) for this dish, it was steamed just right so that the softness remains. The very light saltiness of the soy based sauce complemented very well with the sweetness of the tofu. The minced pork on top was a bit bland but can be solved by splashing some of the sauce on them. The taiwan pechay which served as decor and side dish was nice and crispy. (dipping it in the sauce also helps)

careful as the tofu is served really hot.

Attached File  sky_dragon_005.jpg   49.18KB   0 downloads

Im not sure if this is served to all customers or its probably because my dad is a regular here but we were given a complimentary plate of sliced apples and oranges..... something refreshingly sweet after a nice hot meal.

My dad was right ...... the service was excellent, food came in at a good pace and the servers were very attentive. (my teacup is always full). of course the question remains ........ Is the service good because my dad is a regular. perhaps trying out the resto all by myself or with other friends will answer this question.

Edited by asmodeus, 09 June 2009 - 05:53 PM.

#39 Boknoy

Boknoy

Chaser

• (03) Newbie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 03:50 PM

Ang may kasalanan= Cocktales Dessert Bar. Along t.morato Il Terrazo bldg. near pier one. Last night me and my friend with his companion where looking for a place to have a few drinks with his date. We stumbled on this newly opened classy dessert bar, intrigued by the looks and the name as like having my Dick for dessert, we looked at its menu and was impressed, having a very sossy menu folder. We tried its fresh fruit desserts MangoBananarama and Carribean Dream, was very flavorful with crushed ice finer than ice monster , and fresh fruit shaken topped with fruits and my favorite black sago pearls.

Then we noticed they have fresh fruit shakes WITH your choice of Vodka, Brandy or Rhum... so thats where the fun began. The shakes tastes so good blended with vodka, after sipping finished our first glass, parang walang tama, you can taste a hint of the vodka but more of masasarapan ka sa shake, so we ordered another round. Yun pala parang redhorse, nasa huli ang tama. Napansin ko yung female kasama ng friend ko namumula and mdyo tipsy na din. Kanina nag text friend ko and guess what, they did not go straight home finally ended in a motel. Thanks to the flavorful deceiving taste of the shakes, tsktsktsk, i knew it Cocktales = Dick tales. hahahha. By the way the bartender revealed to us Cocktales is from the creators and owned by Fruitas. NO wonder the shakes tasted great and prepped fresh.

#40 asmodeus

asmodeus

CHEEERS !!!

• Ambassador
  • 18018 posts
    without my consent

Posted 26 June 2009 - 09:12 AM

FOODCOURT FOODTRIPPIN
Robinsons Galleria

Been quite a number of years since I made my way into Robinsons Galleria in Ortigas. And I surprise myself as to why especially since I'm not exactly a fan of the SM chains (although I go there more often than Robinsons). Anyway, I decided to do a little window shopping there one time to just check out whats new, and perhaps buy a pair jeans in the department store. (SOP for me to do clothes shopping alone)

Well at lot has changed since 3 maybe 4 years ago. A lot of those tried and tested restos that weren't there before have sprung up. Restos like Burgoo and Healthy Shabu Shabu to name a few..... I actually would have opted to try Burgoo again but since I came alone and could not finish off their big servings, I just decided to glance around the Foodcourt for variety (and budget) sake.

I don't know, but I suddenly had this craving for Pansit Malabon and as luck would have it, they have this stall that sells them.

Attached File  Pansit_taga_malabon_001.jpg   55.08KB   0 downloads

Servings were a bit small especially for someone who has a hearty appetite, the pansit came in warm bordering on cold already and from the taste of it ...... its not that freshly prepared.

Lesson to be learned here ..... Pansit Malabon is best served fresh and usually fastfoods or foodcourts don't do that. Next time I may just opt for the grilled foods in the other stalls.

Attached File  Pansit_taga_malabon_002.jpg   56.01KB   0 downloads

There are countless othe stalls within the foodcourt that I'm sure would be serving Pork Sinigang (my peborit filipino dish), but I guess sometimes the laziness in me just had me opting for the Sinigang from where I purchased the Pansit.

In fairness, the sourness is just right to go with a cup of rice and the veggies are slightly crispy. Some parts of the pork are tender while some are just a bit tough. Practically my only complaint is that it is also served warm and not piping hot as most soups should be.

Overall damage for the two dishes plus 1 cup of rice and an order of Coca Cola comes to around 170 pesos....... hard to tell if I got the raw end of the deal here but at least I got filled.

As I was about to leave the foodcourt, I then noticed they have a RAZON's kiosk situated in the middle. (toink!!!)

Edited by asmodeus, 26 June 2009 - 09:12 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

zamboy