CHEEERS !!!

• Ambassador
  • 18208 posts
  • Interests:pissing off sneaky sinful ones
    who change my profile info
    without my consent

Posted 06 February 2009 - 10:37 AM

Fellow MTC Members

Do you like dining out ???? (Given the chance) I know I do........ Come my friends and share with us your Dining Experiences in and out of the Metropolis. It doesn't necessarily have to be high-end, actually any resto or fast food joint will do, just a little something to broaden our options should we be in a particular area.

• iammoe and IllidonGopnib like this

#2 asmodeus

asmodeus

CHEEERS !!!

• Ambassador
  • 18208 posts
    without my consent

Posted 06 February 2009 - 10:53 AM

Shaolin Tea House

Located along Timog Ave. (near Laffline Comedy Club) this place used to be David’s tea House, probably because of changes in management or that David’s decided to find a different location, the name was changed to Shaolin. Looking at the menu, most of the items have not really changed......... It was one of those lazy sunday evenings that we felt like we wanted some little chinese short order dining experience. Most of the time, I come here to buy siomai and dumplings for take-out, so this will be one of the rare occassions that its going to be dine-in.

A list of the things we ordered:

Squash Soup

Attached File  squash_soup.jpg   83.32KB   0 downloads

A creamy blend of pureed squash, chunks of minced seafood in light cream. Although I would have wanted it to taste a little more like squash, it is still quite tasty (with a little salt and pepper). Considering it is blended with a little cream, it is not heavy on the stomach which is perfect for moving on to the next set of food. For an even tastier soup I would have wished there was some minced dried scallop added to the soup.

Sliced Roast Beef in Soy

Attached File  roast_beef.jpg   97.76KB   3 downloads

I will call it at that since I cant remember the exact name (I think they call it Beef Kinchi), its thinly sliced roasted beef cooked in light soy sauce. Not bad at all as it is not too salty and for some people it would make a great pulutan if you add a little chili sauce. (they serve beer here) I think my complain for this dish is that the beef, considering its already thinly sliced, tends to be bit on the tough side.

Sweet and Sour Pork

Attached File  sweet_and_soup.jpg   101.91KB   2 downloads

Not sure of what to order?????? you can always play safe with this all-time-favorite....... the sauce is neither too sweet nor too sour. Probably one of the secrets to its sweetness and sourness is the addition of pineapple pieces while it is being cooked. The dish goes great with a bowl of steaming hot rice.

Chicken Curry

Attached File  chicken_curry.jpg   100.22KB   0 downloads

I dont know why, but I have never been a fan of chinese curry as I am more partial to thai, japanese or indian curry. But nonetheless, the dish tasted great with the right amount of curry and some potatoes and pepper. Problem here is that the chicken was a little undercooked...... I could still some pink meat underneath the skin.

Siomai and Dumplings

I forgot to take some pics, but aside from the viands and soups, we ordered some dimsum namely, pork siomai, sharksfin dumpling and chicken feet. The dimsum is actually not bad but I did notice a significant reduction in size of the siomai and the dumplings...... hmmmmmm, perhaps they are cost-cutting.

Overall, it was an enjoyable quick meal, the place was well airconditioned, the staff were more or less quick on their toes and tastewise........... food is not so bad. (although it wouldn’t hurt if they improve a little bit more). From what we ordered, our meal (minus 2 senior citizen discount) comes to around 250 per head.

#3 asmodeus

asmodeus

CHEEERS !!!

• Ambassador
  • 18208 posts
    without my consent

Posted 09 February 2009 - 03:27 PM

Sunday Lunch at Tia Maria’s

Attached File  Tia_Maria_s.jpg   76.69KB   0 downloads

Recently had a chance to try out this Mexican inspired resto at the somewhat newly opened Atrium Section of SM Megamall. Tia Maria’s sits on the 4th Level and is just beside Teriyaki Boy. We were a party of four and decided to try something supposedly different.

The Good

Quesadillas

Attached File  quesadillas.jpg   70.88KB   0 downloads

Two layers of slightly toasted tortillas with a thin layer of chesse in the middle. Better eat this while the dish is still hot or warm, and while the cheese is still very soft and gooey. They also come with sour cream and salsa for dipping. I prefer the salsa of course, especially when it is chunky and somewhat on the spicy side.

The Not So Bad

Surf n Turf

Attached File  surf_and_turf.jpg   80.71KB   0 downloads

Its basically a platter of assorted goodies…… calamares, grilled baby back ribs and grilled chicken. The calamares is not bad especially when you dip in the tartar type sauce. As for the ribs and chicken, nothing special in the taste as I actually find the chicken a bit too sweet.

Burritos

I forgot to take a pic of this, but its just basic mixture of rice meat and some veggies wrapped by a big soft tortilla. A bit on the heavy side as a single serving of this is considered a meal already.

The Not So Good

Tomato Beef Soup

Attached File  Tomato_Beef_Soup.jpg   69.09KB   0 downloads

I actually wanted to order the other soup item on their menu which is the Potato Leek Soup, but even as we were just the second set of customers for that Sunday lunch session, they already are out of stock for this particular soup. (someone forgot to go to the groceries.) Instead, I opted to try the Tomato Beef Soup (or is it Beef Tomato Soup). Anyway, it tasted a tad too salty and the soup was just soooo heavy on the stomach. Spooning over the soup, it looked more like a cross between Mexican Chili con Carne and Hungarian Goulash.

On a personal note: I like my soup somewhat light on the stomach especially if the soup is used as starter and that there will be a lot of other dishes to go through. If the soup is too heavy, well I’d be too full to continue.

The Not Good At All

Going through some of the fine food like the quesadillas and the calamares, I did a lot of dipping and in the end, consumed up what was given along with the orders. Thinking that the salsa was part of the condiments being offered by the resto, I requested for some extra salsa. And by the time I got my bill, I was surprised that they billed me an extra 40+ pesos for a small cup of extra salsa. Lucky that I did not ask for salt and pepper as they too might charge me for that.

#4 86bangher

86bangher

Charmer

• (03) Newbie
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 05:27 PM

Pardon me for intrusion sir/s... but this is one of the hidden jewels in Mandaluyong that even few local folks there were acquainted - R&J's (or RJ?) Bulalo at City Hall Rotunda.

This is the kind of places where you invites your boys' or gurls' night out in Gang-of-4-or-More whether on Dutch or celebrant status. Known for its Bulalo orders in 2 serving capacities - Regular (good for 3 at P198-) & Special (good for 6 at P298-). Just its Regular size... were enough to fill two bellies and have leftovers for you to wash your face (literals). Those were served on wash-basin size soup bowls! Rice is side dish & on separate cost.

Aside from that signature dish, they got a signboard menu of 18 (or more?) complete meals two of which i have noted with approvals - Papaitan (in chevron or ox, your choice) and the Pakbet, all with rice as complete meal. Very reasonable in prices and authentic Ilocano taste & cooking style (non-oily with exact bitterness)!

On thing you will notice on their soup entries - non-murky with clean aromatic taste, the right way refine soups are done. Am not surprise why... coz the owners are Chinese & i considered them fastidious on food preparations.

The site has a corner with free Karaoke. And they do serve ice-cold beer with reasonable price. I seldom find establishment of such that serve ice-cold yankee Coors (one of the best imported brand). But R&J got it at P32/bottle. And the resto serve 24-7.

The only time i find it sparse on customers where 2~4PM, rest of the time it's buzzing with activities. This resto is not an oldie. But sizing their streams of clienteles... the owner must be cooking it right, hence they're a success.

Btw, this is also the places where i have scourge other MTC postings within... being mentioned as a possible pick-up spot for night-walkers (or was it Prozac dependers?). It does have bouts of ladies' nights (wherein group of gals outnumber horny male toads) but not frequent so - forget about it. Less you might bump into rambo wannabe who were packed with 40S&W as against your drooling dickies.

Where located? Walking distance from Mandaluyong Rotunda City Hall (aka: Maysilo). Look for the only petrol station fronting the City Hall whose side is facing Jollibee. From the filling station, walk towards its onsite small convenience store. At the back of it is R&J.

#5 asmodeus

asmodeus

CHEEERS !!!

• Ambassador
  • 18208 posts
    without my consent

Posted 16 February 2009 - 03:46 PM

Super Bowl of China
Tri Noma Branch

Dimsum Combo Platter

Attached File  dimsum_combo.jpg   73.83KB   0 downloads

Consisting of three pieces pork siomai, 4 pieces veggie spring roll, two pieces shrimp hakaw and three pieces fried pork dumpling and one teenee weenie asado siopao. During our visit, this dish was put on their promo list so a usual order which normally costs 200++ was being sold with a 50% discount for the dimsum platter. The pork siomai is surprisingly good and of decent size, it does not taste of flour or cornstarch as the meat is densely packed into the wrapper. Same goes with the Shrimp Hakaw, you can actually taste the shrimp as they did not add too much fillings. The spring roll and the fried dumpling was a bit overcooked as the skin became a bit too tough especially if you allow it to cool. The asado siopao is not bad, just too small.

Crispy Mandarin Chicken

Attached File  madarin_chicken.jpg   80.07KB   0 downloads

Its basically chicken fillet fried to crispy golden brown with the insides retaining its juiciness. They added some type of Chinese sauce which in my opinion tasted somewhat like those Chinese herbs……. And I’m not always a big fan of Chinese herbs. If they did not opt to put the sauce, the chicken would still be tasty.

Braised Beef Brisket Tendon Noodle

Attached File  beef_brisket.jpg   85.91KB   0 downloads

With me being a sucker for all types of mami, I ordered this one for the sake of trying. Judging from the taste, there really is nothing extraordinary about this dish, although somewhat tasty, but a tad too salty. The real downer for this is that after having a few slurps of the soup, I can actually feel the “sebo” starting to solidify in my lips.

By da way, there was a healthy serving of beef…… except I don’t see the tendons.

Chicken Eggdrop Soup

Attached File  chicken_eggdrop.jpg   60.85KB   0 downloads

Chicken bits plus diced veggies and egg mixed in starchy broth……..Mixing through the soup with my spoon, one would think that with its starchiness, its going to be a bit heavy on the stomach. But to my surprise, it has this not so heavy feeling and is quite tasty too. Better slurp it down while its hot as the starch tends to melt away once its cooled.

Deep Fried Cuttlefish with Spicy Salt.

Attached File  soicy_squid.jpg   69.27KB   0 downloads

This would have been a great dish with its right amount of saltiness and spiciness except for the fact that you tend to taste more of the batter rather than the cuttlefish itself. And I didn’t like their choice of a sweet and sour sauce as dip. I would prefer vinegar with garlic and pepper. This dish left a bad taste in my mouth that I could not finish my one cup of rice.

Overall I still consider this a decent meal notwithstanding some of the downers I’ve experienced……… I think I can rate this place as a few notches above ChowKing. Perhaps I should try some of their other dishes before I make a much more conclusive judgement.

Edited by asmodeus, 16 February 2009 - 03:47 PM.

#6 asmodeus

asmodeus

CHEEERS !!!

• Ambassador
  • 18208 posts
    without my consent

Posted 17 February 2009 - 10:05 AM

Ha Yuan

Directions:

Coming from Quezon Avenue, Take a right turn at Timog Ave. At the First Stoplight (Mother Ignacia Ave. I think), take another right. A little Pass the Church, the said eatery is to your left.

Fresh Lumpia

Attached File  lumpia_001.jpg   97.78KB   0 downloads Attached File  lumpia_002.jpg   101.05KB   0 downloads

This is one of their house specialties...... it is actually the reason why my parents have been egging me to accompany them to the said location. Plus, it would save us a lot of driving time as compared to going to the binondo area.

For a price of P60.00 per order, it is quite good in terms of size and healthy too since the ingredients are mostly veggies and shrimp. Those with a less than hearty appetite will surely be filled just by having one order of this. My mom enjoyed the lumpia and complemented on the freshness of the veggies inside the lumpia and I agreed with her. Although personally I would have wanted them to add some bamboo shoots for that added crispiness and a little more coriander to further enhance the aroma. I also requested the server for some vinegar with garlic in exchange for the sweet sauce they use.

Pork Maki

Attached File  pork_maki.jpg   96.5KB   0 downloads

Basically its pork cooked in a very starchy broth with some soy sauce added for color and flavor. For a complete meal, just order the maki and fresh lumpia and you’re good to go. Tasted a bit bland but adding some black vinegar and pepper helps.

Pork Siomai

Attached File  pork_siomai.jpg   94.13KB   0 downloads

I ordered this just for the sake of trying, Size is of the average but the problem is it is still undercooked, the middle part still has a very obvious pinkish color.

Beef Wanton Noodle (w/soup)

Attached File  beef_wanton_noodle.jpg   100.57KB   0 downloads

As previously mentioned, being a sucker for all types of mami, I had to try this one too. Size is somewhat in the medium and for those who have a hearty appetite, this one will not be enough. Better order a lumpia to go along with the Beef Wanton. Although it does not have that “herby” taste, I got really thirsty and most probably the culprit would be the seasonings (read: MSG). And the price???? P150.00 per bowl is considered highway robbery if you compare it with say Shanghai Hand-Pulled Noodle House in Retiro.

Here's a link to my review of Shanghai Hand-Pulled Noodle House.

http://manilatonight...&...t&p=6240130

http://manilatonight...&...t&p=6356413

By da way...... I did not see any beef in the Beef Wanton.

This is still the place to go for the Lumpia because of its freshness, though I’m not a fan of Maki, I would still recommend you try it. As for the other things I ordered...... it was a bit of a disappointment and I would assume they added those dishes in their menu for the sake of offering more variety.

Edited by asmodeus, 17 February 2009 - 10:12 AM.

#7 SINless

SINless

SINless

• (08) Fanatical Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2546 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 10:24 AM

Merkato's is a nice though hidden restaurant behind the St. Paul the Apostle Parish Church, along Scout Santiago. The time I ate there, their chef was able to produce almost perfect medium-rare steaks (hard to find someone that can do that in the Philippines). Charred on the outside, tender pink on the inside. The prices are a bit on the expensive side though.

#8 SINless

SINless

SINless

• (08) Fanatical Member
  • 2546 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 11:13 AM

Katre is a very good hidden restaurant just behind Alfredo's and D'Marks in Quezon City, near T. Morato. The food there is a fusion of various Mediterranean cuisine mixed with a bit of Asian. Personally, my fave is the Lamb with Couscous, the ambiance is nice, whether for a date or for a family meal.

Edited by SINless, 03 March 2009 - 06:32 PM.

#9 SINless

SINless

SINless

• (08) Fanatical Member
  • 2546 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 12:39 PM

A nice Italian resto in Liberty Center on Shaw Blvd was a recent discovery for me, its called Buonne Guiornno (sp?) I had lunch there with some friends, we went for a melange of salads and then split a pizza. The price range is a bit high, but considering the quality of the food (and the fairly decent serving sizes), entirely reasonable.

Smoked Salmon Salad
Attached File  Smoked_Salmon_Salad.jpg   59.47KB   0 downloads

Green Goddess Salad
Attached File  Green_Goddess_Salad.jpg   53.68KB   0 downloads

Buonne Guiorno Salad
Attached File  Buonne_Guirno_Salad.jpg   42.46KB   0 downloads

New York Pizza
Attached File  New_York_Pizza.jpg   65.78KB   0 downloads

#10 asmodeus

asmodeus

CHEEERS !!!

• Ambassador
  • 18208 posts
    without my consent

Posted 04 March 2009 - 02:38 PM

Sunday Lunch at Amici

It was my sisters Birthday and she decided to treat us to some Italian inspired lunch. Our destination is at AMICI Megamall more particularly in the Atrium. (I cant remember which level though). We got to the resto around 11:00am and there was already a good sized crowd. By the time it reached 11:30am……. The place was 95% full.

Self-Service

Since this was my first time to dine in AMICI, I had the pre-notion that this resto is somewhat in the semi fine dining type with servers taking our orders and stuff like that. Little did I know that it is more of a fast food type joint……… Fastfood in the sense that customers line-up at the counter to place their orders and that most of the other things are done "self service".

They place most of the utensils in a counter by the corner and customers just go there and get whatever they need, even the hot sauce and other condiments are placed in the same counter. Ice and water is also nearby.I actually find the ice container quite refreshing since I did not have to wait for the servers should I need some more ice, all I have to do is get up and scoop up a few tumblers of it and I'm good to go.

Well enough of the talk !!! I guess is time to eat.

Zuppa Di Minestrone

Attached File  Amici_Minestrone.jpg   77.76KB   0 downloads

Hearty Vegetable Soup with Prosciutto…….. in a sense its tomato soup with lots of veggies and small thin slices of ham. It actually tasted somewhat like those Canned Campell Alphabet soup I had when I was a kid except that the veggies are of bigger cubes. I'm not complaining since I've been a fan of the Campell soup and that the soup itself is not too heavy on the stomach. Better ask the person at the counter to have the soup split for two as an order comes in big serving.

Mozzarella Fritto

Attached File  Amici_Cheesestick.jpg   72.83KB   0 downloads

Golden fried mozzarella logs served with pomodoro sauce……. I cant help but compare this with Don Henrico's Petite Mozzarella Sticks since they both use Tomato Sauce as their dip. Although Don Hen's version is shaped like a cylinder. In the final analysis, my personal choice is to side with Don Hen's version because I find theirs more tasty.

Spaghetto Red Vongole Gamberetti

Attached File  Amici_Spaghetti.jpg   81.5KB   0 downloads

According to the menu, this is "AMICI's Pride". Its pasta served with special red sauce and bounties of the sea. But frankly speaking, I did not find anything special about the red sauce as it actually tasted like the pomodoro sauce that was used with the Mozzarella Fritto. In fairness, the pasta itself was cooked to its right firmness.

Spaghetti Alla Carbonara

Attached File  Amici_Carbonara.jpg   77.22KB   0 downloads

Spaghetti tossed in creamy white sauce with parmesan and bacon bits………This I feel is the better pasta when compared with the Red Vongole. Aside from the firm pasta, the white sauce is tasty yet the cream is not too heavy that one becomes too full immediately. The bacon bits adds a little more saltiness into the dish.

Salsicce Italiana

Attached File  Amici_Sausage.jpg   77.06KB   0 downloads

Homemade recipe Italian Sausage with some marinated veggies on the side……. Cooked just right and with the addition of the veggies it somehow balances the slightly oily aftertaste of the sausage itself. For those who are used to the usual or regular hotdogs…… the slightly pungent aroma and strong flavor may take a little getting used to.

Ragu Di Maiale Risotto

Attached File  Amici_Rissoto.jpg   74.71KB   0 downloads

Chunky Italian Style Braised Pork with Risotto and Peas……. Looking at the pic in the menu for this dish, I see cubed pork in some red type of sauce (kinda looks like menudo). But looking at the actual dish, the pork is not cubed but sliced and the sauce is light brown. Either way, the dish tasted bland and even my sister agreed with me that this dish was a disappointment.

Tutta Carne Pizza

Attached File  Amici_Pizza.jpg   80KB   0 downloads

Meat Lovers Delight Italian Sausage Ham and Pepperoni Pizza……….and what a delight it was, toppings and cheese were just the right amount without them overpowering each other. The winner here is the thin crust which was crispy at the bite then a bit chewy as one goes along. Even after the pizza got cold, the crust remained almost the same crispy chewy state.

Gelati

Attached File  Amici_Gelati.jpg   65.81KB   0 downloads

For dessert, I ordered the chocolate flavored Gelati…….. and I couldn't have picked a better dessert. Its soooooo creamy and tastes soooo chocolatey. My mom was raving about her mango flavored Gelati while my brother-in-law had taken a liking to hios order of pistaccio flavored gelati.

For a fastfood, most of the food comes out exceptionally good, And yes !!!! serving time was quite fast. And I guess most of the customers in the jam packed resto that day would agree with me.

Edited by asmodeus, 04 March 2009 - 02:41 PM.

#11 asmodeus

asmodeus

CHEEERS !!!

• Ambassador
  • 18208 posts
    without my consent

Posted 17 March 2009 - 01:04 PM

Food Trippin at Landmark's Food Court

It was one of those sundays that my dad would have this craving for fishhead soup. And of all places, he chose this kiosk at the Food Court Section of Landmark in TriNoma. Personally, I did not like the Fishhead Soup as there is still that "Malansa" smell and taste. Instead I walked around looking for something that would catch my fancy.

Most of the kiosks there serve grilled food served with rice. I could have played safe and just ordered something from Jollibee or KFC but what the heck...... I just might find some hidden gem there. My Mom also went separate ways in ordering some pansit from the PANSIT ng TAGA MALABON kiosk. (I asked her to order me a plate).

After walking from the right side (which is the Karate Kid kiosk) I ended up in the other side which is PORKY's ROAST AND GRILL. And there I saw something not completely original, but something the other kiosks are not offering.

SINIGANG na LECHON

Attached File  porky__s.jpg   89.14KB   0 downloads

Not really something to shout hallelujia about, but what does one expect for 89.00 pesos???? In fairness, the serving is quite big.... good for two, just order some extra rice and you and your companion are good to go. The lechon skin is still somewhat crispy and the meat is surprisingly tender for a fastfood kiosk. The sourness of the sinigang is just right. I added some sili for that added spiciness.

Pansit Palabok

Attached File  pansit_malabon.jpg   96.61KB   0 downloads

My Mom ordered me a plate from PANSIT na taga MALABON. Nothing really spectacular, just something to fill up ones tummy. For 75.00 pesos a plate..... I felt the servings were a bit small.

Edited by asmodeus, 17 March 2009 - 01:06 PM.

#12 SINless

SINless

SINless

• (08) Fanatical Member
  • 2546 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 12:56 PM

Lattize on Pilar St. in Mandaluyong (near the border of San Juan)

All I can say is ... I love the food and ambiance here. :thumbsupsmiley: :thumbsupsmiley: :thumbsupsmiley: :thumbsupsmiley: :thumbsupsmiley:

Albeit the mixture of Spanish and Italian cuisine is quite common, adding in Japanese seemed strange at first, but WOW!!!

#13 lomex32

lomex32

The Eye from the Sky

• Ambassador
  • 10551 posts
  • Interests:Automobiles, travel, cooking, computer gaming,

Posted 18 March 2009 - 01:20 PM

Food FR on Ying Ying

The place is nostalgic Hongkong/Singapore - the setup, the smell, the people

Dimsum - steaming hot .... Hakaw, Siomai, tofu .. brings me back to Beijing...
Roasted Duck Rice - just like those from the hawker centers in Singapore
Suckling pig - crispy and declicious

(photos by Anton Diaz)

Attached Files

#14 asmodeus

asmodeus

CHEEERS !!!

• Ambassador
  • 18208 posts
    without my consent

Posted 18 March 2009 - 01:44 PM

Sizzlin Pepper Steak
Tri Noma Branch

Wonders of wonder why I suddenly had this craving for Sizzlin Pepper Steak... well it was a good thing I was near the TriNoma area a couple of days ago. Was supposed to just go there and buy some blank CDs from CD-R king, but ended up in this somewhat fine eatery along with my balikbayan friend.

KANI SALAD

Attached File  sizzling_pepper_002.jpg   105.24KB   0 downloads

Shredded cucumber and japanese crabstick (kami) on a bed of lettuce and japanese mayonnaise. My opinion on this???? They should have more of the kani than the cucumber.

TAMAGO SOUP

Attached File  sizzling_pepper_001.jpg   120.77KB   0 downloads

Egg Soup flavored with onion leeks and sesame seeds. Not bad at all, although they should serve it really hot...... as in smoking HOT.

BEEF PEPPER RICE

Attached File  sizzling_pepper_003.jpg   116.91KB   0 downloads

This was my order..... its rice with thinly sliced beef seasoned with cracked pepper, garlic butter with teriyaki sauce. (I ordered extra teriyaki sauce for mine). As my dish was placed in fron of me, the server told me i can flip the beef so that the other side can also be cooked, but I did not, so the beef is half cooked and half raw. (kinda like medium rare). Taste is not bad especially when you're hungry.

TORI KARAAGE

Attached File  sizzling_pepper_004.jpg   111.58KB   0 downloads

Crunchy Boneless chicken marinated in ginger and soy sauce. I jokingly told my friend that this would be an effective adversary to the famed Chicken Joy. The skin is crispy and the meat inside is tender and juicy. Plus its not as salty as the Chicken Joy. They also come with Gravy Sauce of which I ordered some extra. This Dish is actually best served with plain rice.

Food FR on Ying Ying

The place is nostalgic Hongkong/Singapore - the setup, the smell, the people

Dimsum - steaming hot .... Hakaw, Siomai, tofu .. brings me back to Beijing...
Roasted Duck Rice - just like those from the hawker centers in Singapore
Suckling pig - crispy and declicious

YUMMY !!!!! I miss their Boneless EEL cooked in TAUSI SAUCE and their Fried Frogs Legs :thumbsupsmiley:

Edited by asmodeus, 18 March 2009 - 01:50 PM.

#15 asmodeus

asmodeus

CHEEERS !!!

• Ambassador
  • 18208 posts
    without my consent

Posted 31 March 2009 - 12:50 PM

TOKYO CAFE (SM North The Block)

Recently we went window shopping in the new SM Annex in North EDSA, but sad to say there was hardly any restos worth a second look. Although MANGAN looks tempting, my Dad was not in the mood for filipino food. We then took a short walk to the other which is the SM BLOCK and (I dont know why) but we just, out of the blue, decided to try TOKYO Cafe.

The name of the resto is rather amusing in that one may expect the eatery to be serving mostly japanese dishes, (they actually have some) but most of the dishes are typical western snacks or comfort foods.

One thing I can say about this place is that SERVICE is very fast as most of our food orders came in less than ten minutes. The servers usually give that extra scrub on the table to make it really clean in preparation for the next set of diners.

Here's a short look at some of the food I ordered:

Shrimp Bisque

Attached File  shrimp_bisque.jpg   25.63KB   0 downloads

Full Flavored Creamy Shrimp Soup.

Normally, I'm not a fan of shrimp bisque's because of the fishy or (malansa) taste that comes with it. but since my other choice was cream of corn soup, I thought I'd take the risk and give it a try. Admittedly, TOKYO Cafe's version still has that somewhat fishy taste, but was pleasantly reduced, perhaps by the cream.

In light of my PERSONAL preference....... the soup is not too heavy on the stomach although next time I will request that they serve it smoking hot.

Bacon Tomato Cream Spaghetti

Attached File  bacon_tomato_cream.jpg   34.44KB   0 downloads

Thin Spaghetti sauteed in a medly of tomato chunk and mushroom tossed in a creamy cheese tomato sauce topped with bacon bits.

I really enjoyed this spaghetti dish as the pasta is cooked nice and firm. The creamy sauce is not very heavy on the taste and on the stomach. And that very light tomato taste blends really well with the slight saltiness of the bacon. (I think I could eat another plate of this if I wanted to.

Chicken and Cheese Roll

Attached File  chicken___cheese.jpg   40.62KB   0 downloads

Chicken Fillet stuffed with Mozarella then rolled and deep fried in bread crumbs.

As far as cheese is concerned, my tongue is not the "go to guy" when it comes to determining good mozarella cheese. But I'm guessing they did not use pure mozarella and instead mixed it with different cheaper type of cheese. The chicken itself is tender and slightly juicy but comes out a little too bland.

#16 asmodeus

asmodeus

CHEEERS !!!

• Ambassador
  • 18208 posts
    without my consent

Posted 13 April 2009 - 10:47 AM

For sheer love of "Mami" noodles.... The next few posts will be short FRs about Noodle Trips I made with family and friends.

MEI HUA POT & NOODLE
Trinoma

Location: 1st level Trinoma in Quezon City besides Pho Hua and just across Sizzlin Pepper Steak.

I think this is the first resto in the Tri Noma mall that offers noodles which are freshly hand pulled. Aside from noodles they also serve a variety of other chinese dishes. Basically, I'm here to try the noodles so cant make comments about the other stuff (save for the dumplings).

The regular person making the noodles is a filipino unlike the Shanghai noodle house in banawe which is done by a person of chinese origin. Definitly the noodle maker in MEI HUA is slower in pulling the noodles than his chinese couterparts. But since I was in no hurry, I'll let this one slide. For me its the quality that counts and not the speed.

Was just here for a quick snack so our orders are just a few.......

TAIWAN BEEF NOODLE

Attached File  mey_hua_001.jpg   131.74KB   0 downloads

Don't be fooled by the pic. The bowl of noodles are quite tasty and yet not very oily. Noodles itself are nice and firm though the chunks of beef are a little little tough to chew on.

STEAMED DUMPLING

Attached File  mey_hua_002.jpg   111.31KB   0 downloads

Nothing out of the ordinary...... this is just plain ol steamed kuchay dumplings. My only complaint is the filling is way too little for such a big pouch of the dumpling's wrap.

Average price for the Noodles comes at around 120+ pesos per bowl. They have a larger size if you wanted for around 140+ (I think) although I just ordered the smaller one.

Edited by asmodeus, 13 April 2009 - 11:43 AM.

#17 asmodeus

asmodeus

CHEEERS !!!

• Ambassador
  • 18208 posts
    without my consent

Posted 13 April 2009 - 11:09 AM

DAIFU NOODLE HOUSE
Banawe

Location: Banawe Street in Quezon City near Del Monte Ave, its beside Hap Chan and just across Causeway.

After some hack & slash at the nearby internet cafe with a friend, we decided to avail of a little snakc before heading to starbucks to meet up with some other friends. Our initial destination was supposed to be Ling Nam (banawe branch) but with some people not being able to park their cars properly thus wasting precious space we decided to move forward and try the other noodle house which is DAIFU.

From the tarpaulin banners, style of their noodle is supposed to be Taiwanese style, but since I'm no expert on the region's authenticity, I just proceeded inside cause I was already hungry. hehehehehehe Another one of their come-ons is that their dishes are supposedly MSG free and non-oily.

At 10:00pm in the evening, the place still attracts a good following, of which I'm guessing most are living in the nearby residences and are just out for some late night snack. DAIFU not only offers noodles but an assortment of other dishes which also includes Fresh Lumpia and some Taiwan style desserts. (basically crushed ice topped with fruits, etc etc)

KIAM PONG

Attached File  daifu_001.jpg   128.27KB   0 downloads

How do I say this in english???? SALTY RICE ? Its basically rice cooked along with soy sauce and some added pork and sprinkled with some peanuts on top. And for a price of 35.00 pesos per bowl, its good enough to warm up one's stomach. For those with a heartier appetite, an extra order would do.

True to its advertisement, there is no oily aftertaste, but the supposed lack of MSG tends to make the dish taste a little bland. But I guess its nothing that a dash of salt couldn't do.

BEEF NOODLE

Attached File  dai_fu_002.jpg   121.52KB   0 downloads

Again....... true to its advertisement, the noodle dish is refreshingly not oily BUT again, a little bland in taste. The noodles are not hand-pulled and in my case, they came out a little too soggy. I forgot to check on the price.

Edited by asmodeus, 13 April 2009 - 11:22 AM.

#18 asmodeus

asmodeus

CHEEERS !!!

• Ambassador
  • 18208 posts
    without my consent

Posted 13 April 2009 - 12:44 PM

LAN ZHOU LA MIEN
Binondo, Manila

Attached File  lan_zhou_001.jpg   152.89KB   0 downloads

Located along Benavidez St. the place sits almost beside a Country Chicken outlet. parking may be a bit of a problem on regular days but since it was a Maundy Thursday, We had very little trouble finding a nice "short walking distance" space.

The eatery itself is quite small as there were only around 5 to 6 sets of tables. But since we were quite early for lunch, we got ourselves a nice seat with a good view of the Guy who was suppose to hand pull our noodle orders. Unfortunately (or fortunately) the "Balls scratching" Mainland Chinese guy mentioned by master ATONG ANG in the other thread is nowhere to be found. (probably on holy week vacation). Instead, a filipino trainee did the noodle hand pulling.

My maternal mother complained that the Air conditioning was way way below comfortable level, all the more that the noodle soup being served to us is piping hot. Hot noodles are actually good, but its hard to enjoy it if one is sweating profusely. Anyway, as with the previous two FRs, this one will be short:

FRIED KUCHAY DUMPLINGS

Attached File  lan_zhou_002.jpg   107.93KB   0 downloads

Crispy on the outside even when it got a little cold. The skin was just of the right thickness though I just felt that it was a little too overdosed on the kuchay that you can hardly taste the meat.

BEEF NOODLE

Attached File  lan_zhou_003.jpg   119.24KB   0 downloads

Noticed how I always seem to be ordering Beef Noodle ???? Well aside from me liking beef mami because of their flavor, I started with Beef Mami in my previous FRs starting from Shanghai Noodle House, so I just wanted to try the Beef as point of comparison.

Noodles are nice and firm, soup is hot and not oily and pieces of beef are tender enough. A little bland though for my taste. I did appreciate them having a bowl of spring onions and another bowl of Coriander by the table in case one wants some added aroma.

Attached File  lan_zhou_004.jpg   115.87KB   0 downloads

After trying out numerous noodle house the past couple of months, My personal verdict for Noodle house still goes to Shanghai Noodle House located in Retiro St. corner Banawe. Though there is still a lot of noodle houses to try (Ling Nam being one of them), this opinion of mine will remain as is for the moment.

#19 asmodeus

asmodeus

CHEEERS !!!

• Ambassador
  • 18208 posts
    without my consent

Posted 13 April 2009 - 01:45 PM

MANN HANN
Trinoma Branch

For the longest time, I have been wondering........ Whats all the fuss about this chinese eatery that has people lining up way past lunch time. Surely there must be other chinese restos that would offer something of the same if not of better caliber. So it was one early sunny morning that Me and my parents decided to give the place a try. And since we were already in the Trinoma area, we opted to try this branch.

As I walked in, I noticed that most of the seats do not have backrests. So what does one do if one decides after a hearty meal to just kinda sit back and relax a bit while having some hot tea???? My thinking is that this is ploy so that customers will not stay in their seats for too long...... kinda like eat and run so that other customers can sit. Luckily for my parents there was one table that was situated alongside a wide pillar, so they were able to sit back and relax.

On to the food....... here are some of the foodstuff we ordered.

SATE CHAMI

Attached File  mann_hann_001.jpg   124.55KB   3 downloads

FISH TOFU

Attached File  mann_hann_002.jpg   134.67KB   3 downloads

STIR FRIED TOMIAO

Attached File  mann_hann_003.jpg   127.59KB   3 downloads

PORK SIOMAI

Attached File  mann_hann_004.jpg   130.24KB   2 downloads

SHARKS FIN DUMPLING

Attached File  mann_hann_005.jpg   123.43KB   2 downloads

I wont individually comment on the dishes except to say that this is ONE OF THE MOST GREASIEST AND OILEST MEALS I have so far dined in my entire life.

And for the price ?????? Sheeesh Definitly not value for money as servings are quite small. An example would be the Sharks Fin Dumpling which costs around 85.00 for three pieces. But if you compare the size of each dumpling to a regular tablespoon..... you know you've been had.

Attached File  mann_hann_006.jpg   82.84KB   0 downloads

I actually could not finish my one cup of rice as the oil or "Sebo" is starting to thicken up on my lip area. We left the eatery still wondering just what the fuss is all about...... I think I'll pay a little extra and have my meal at Peking Garden.

Edited by asmodeus, 13 April 2009 - 01:53 PM.

#20 asmodeus

asmodeus

CHEEERS !!!

• Ambassador
  • 18208 posts
    without my consent

Posted 14 April 2009 - 10:05 AM

PEPPER LUNCH
Power Plant Mall, Rockwell

Attached File  pepper_lunch_001.jpg   165.45KB   0 downloads

Another one of those eateries where I was always wondering why people were lining up for. It was on an early Easter Sunday Lunch and we were lucky to be one of the early birds there, so basically its just a five minute wait for us. First thing I noticed is our orders are taken at the counter ala fastfood style and not the "sit down, may I take your order" style of their " supposed copycat" Sizzling Pepper Steak.

In fairness, even though its concept is fastfood style, they still do accept credit cards as mode of payment, but then again, I think even Jollibee accepts credit card nowadays. I think one of the reasons why people keep coming back is that cooking time is quite fast so for those really hungry ones, you dont really have to wait that long. (that is, if you passed the long lines already):

MISO SOUP

Attached File  pepper_lunch_002.jpg   129KB   0 downloads

Nothing out of the ordinary, I just ordered this to warm up my stomach before proceeding to the main meal.

BEEF PEPPER STEAK

Attached File  pepper_lunch_003.jpg   148.97KB   0 downloads

I can't remember what they actually call this, but it is listed as item # 1 in the menu. Anyway, I ordered this so that i can compare it with the Beef Pepper Steak I ordered at Sizzling Pepper in Trinoma.

Personally, I dont see much difference in the taste..... its either that or my insensitive tongue has lost its touch in distinguishing between the two. The BIG Difference here is that the beef that PEPPER LUNCH uses has more FAT and less of the leaner meat. (something which my mother frowns upon)

The overall dining experience is decent enough, food is tasty (although way too much fatty meat) and service is quick and prompt. A bit of a minus "pogi points" with the fast food style of ordering (but thats just me)....... in the end, I PERSONALLY would choose the COPYCAT over the supposed ORIGINAL one.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users